CHRIS SCOTT

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on Geelong's final performances I've come to the inescapable conclusion that Chris Scott is in fact a double agent.

The AFL seemed determined to favour Geelong, from SHocking rule changes designed to favour them, massive home advantage and minimal travel, and consistently favourable umpiring. The powers that be can do little more to hand them a flag. And yet whilst pretending to be their coach he conspires against the AFL to preserve a fair competition, with his random team selections and not changing clearly failing gameplans.

Mission Accomplished as the great man might say.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He completely changed our game plan in 2011 as it has been exposed by the Pies in 2010. And adjusted to the loss of our best player. Credit where it is due, and criticism where it is due please.
Exactly. Anyone who says differently about 2011 either has a poor memory or didn't pay attention. One tactic which sticks in my mind, was finally someone having the guts to rotate players over the whole season, rather than just during games. It raised a few eyebrows during that season, but it paid off.
There was a few articles which talked about it at the time - one being a mid season report which I can't seem to find right now. This one from last year discusses it though...

In 2011, as Collingwood was braining teams every week, the Cats – at the urging of Chris Scott – made the inspired decision to periodically rest key players throughout the home-and-away season; they did so in the knowledge that they would win their 17-18 games (19 as it happened) and that they had to be prepared as Bart Cummings would prepare a stayer for the Melbourne Cup – to peak when the silverware was on the line.
When the Cats won the 2011 flag, over-running a banged-up and less cohesive Collingwood (which had internal strife due to the coaching handover), they set an extraordinary new record: not one player had played all 25 games.

Also, in case anyone has forgotten, Geelong's 2011 win/loss record was better than both 2007 and 2009 when the gun players (who supposedly coached themselves in 2011) were in their prime.

There's some more tactics discussion here from a 2011 article if anyone's interested...
...and also from that article, just in case anyone has also forgotten...
It is well documented that this year was supposed to be the beginning of the end for the Cats, with analysts pointing to an ageing list, a passé style of football, and a couple of key defections. And given the shaky form they have shown in recent weeks, it still may prove to be. But quite clearly, Geelong has surpassed all expectations, including their own. Not so clear is why.

To me a pretty clear reason why, was Chris Scott. I believe, he's also part of the reason why Geelong get into a good position during H/A, despite maybe not having the greatest team on paper (I assume that's why most predict the Cats will drop each year?), and despite pretty much rebuilding over the last couple of years - Geelong have debuted the most players over 2017-2019 (20 players), and the most over 2018-2019 (12). If I remember right they've also got more games into 2017-2018 draftees than any other club (from memory Geelong and Brisbane were similar)

Based on Geelong's final performances I've come to the inescapable conclusion that Chris Scott is in fact a double agent.

The AFL seemed determined to favour Geelong, from SHocking rule changes designed to favour them, massive home advantage and minimal travel, and consistently favourable umpiring. The powers that be can do little more to hand them a flag. And yet whilst pretending to be their coach he conspires against the AFL to preserve a fair competition, with his random team selections and not changing clearly failing gameplans.

Mission Accomplished as the great man might say.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

love it when Richmond fans continue to try and bag out other clubs for getting a home ground advantage when they get gifted home finals at the MCG. lol it's pathetic really.

love it when Richmond fans continue to try and bag out other clubs for getting a home ground advantage when they get gifted home finals at the MCG. lol it's pathetic really.

St Kilda gets gifted it’s existence in the AFL. Let that sink in.

Haha haha haha

We've never played an MCG final against a higher ranked opponent that doesn't also play home games at the G, with maybe the exception of one of our grand finals in the 60s or 70s. Anyone who falls for Chris Scott's rubbish clearly can't think for themselves.

We've never played an MCG final against a higher ranked opponent that doesn't also play home games at the G, with maybe the exception of one of our grand finals in the 60s or 70s. Anyone who falls for Chris Scott's rubbish clearly can't think for themselves.

So you seem to have completely forgotten the home game against Geelong in 2017 when they finished higher, or the Grand Final against Adelaide when they also finished higher? lol I know Richmond fans are one eyed and can't see straight but come on.

No his REAL finals record is 6 wins and 10 losses. If we exclude that one year where Freo made the GF then Freo's REAL record is they have never made a GF.

Scott deserves the criticism for his finals record but it is stupid to exclude the one year he did well, just to make up a random point.
hardly a random point when the words dropped out of his own mouth to the media "the players basically coached themselves" "they came to me , they had a plan" and I said "yeah if thats what you reckon lets go with it"
he was gifted a good playing list at a stable well run club
the Club should be reviewing his performance and saying can we do better ? is he getting the most out of that list ? is there something we can do to help ?

Freo had every right to say lets ignore the GF appearance (it could have been an abberation) how does Ross stack up ? Has he had long enough ? is there another direction we should be going ? has his game plan done its day ?

Bulldogs should do similar , did Bevo fluke it in 2016 , how the side been managed since ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bye week before the final certainly hasn't helped them. Just heard on the radio that for each of the last four years, Geelong has posted its lowest score for the season in week 1 of the finals.

Yep, pre-finals bye introduced 2016. QF beat a completely cooked Hawthorn and even then it took a Smith miss after the final siren for them to win. Have another bye before the pf then get smashed by Sydney.

2017 have a bye then get demolished by Richmond.

2018 have a bye get belted by Melbourne

2019 have a bye get jumped by Collingwood

2012 out in ef
2013 lost qf, won sf, lost pf
2014 straight sets

2015 missed finals

Last edited:
So you seem to have completely forgotten the home game against Geelong in 2017 when they finished higher, or the Grand Final against Adelaide when they also finished higher? lol I know Richmond fans are one eyed and can't see straight but come on.

Alright dopey call on the 17 GF, running on three hours sleep. But **** Geelong, they've been playing MCG home games for years

Ummm... they’ve been trying that for 8 years derp.

Stephenson, Vardy, Simpson, McIntosh, Stanley, Smith, Abbott.

They’ve tried drafting them, they’ve tried trading them. The creme de la creme don’t get traded though. Even decent rucks get sold at a premium. It isn’t an easy problem to fix.

Decent rucks don’t always get sold at ‘a premium’. They get sold at their market value.

This fear of paying overs crap is a lousy excuse for not fixing deficiencies in a list.

Just in trading, has Geelong ever recruited a gun footballer in their prime outside of Ottens who was wallowing at Richmond and needed a new start?

Danger doesn't count because he was from down that way and just wanted to go home.

I'm not talking drafting of youngsters either.

We seem to trade in a lot at broken down hacks, particularly when it comes to ruckmen and kp players.

His finals record is pathetic and his constant whinging is childish. But can you sack a coach that constantly takes you to the top four? I don’t know, but the Cats need a change and I think it starts with the coach. otherwise this finals monkey on their back will get even bigger than what Richmond’s was.

A question that Geelong need to seriously ask themselves, is what impact Kardinia Park has had on their ladder position over the past decade.

Are these top 4 finishes a bit of a false economy?

Are they really a 6-10th type team, having their win/loss artificially bloated by the advantage they get in the fixture?

If they are, then chasing guys like Steven and Higgins is folly.

Maybe it's not a finals thing as such. Maybe they're just actually that good?

Take away the 2011 finals campaign- where, let's be honest, anyone of us could have won a flag with that side who basically coached themselves (and aided by a bitter Malthouse).

Scott's REAL finals record is 3 wins and 10 losses.

Brad went at 50% in finals with a crap team and a poor and disorganised club.

Let that sink in.

No wonder he sooks and moans and gets defensive around this time- like he's giving excuses before the game has even began. His post match presser last night was hilarious to watch. stubborn, defensive, never takes responsibility himself.
Cats should get rid of him.
No don’t get rid of him, I hope they extend his contract for another 3 years. They are a match made in heaven.

Take away the 2011 finals campaign- where, let's be honest, anyone of us could have won a flag with that side who basically coached themselves (and aided by a bitter Malthouse).

Scott's REAL finals record is 3 wins and 10 losses.

Brad went at 50% in finals with a crap team and a poor and disorganised club.

Let that sink in.

No wonder he sooks and moans and gets defensive around this time- like he's giving excuses before the game has even began. His post match presser last night was hilarious to watch. stubborn, defensive, never takes responsibility himself.
Cats should get rid of him.

Bloody liar you are. Not even Ross Lyon could win a premiership coaching the Saints or Dockers, So I doubt he'd been good enough to coach Geelong to a premiership in 2011.

Spot on. Seriously, how do you come up with the idea of combatting the league’s best ruckman with not playing a ruckman at all?? As soon as I heard this late change , my confidence levels just rose. Laughable stuff in an elite level competition. Compounding this ridiculous decision , Stanley actually played well against Grundy early in the year
This baffled me as well. Whilst the focus is on Blicavs as a part time ruck, Scott also compromised his defence by taking out an AA defender. Menegola has hardly played all year. It’s up there with dropping Menzel for Zac Guthrie in the 17 QF.

I've heard Scott and Scarlett had a verbal altercation regarding Scott's continual sooking in the media about our home final.

Bloody liar you are. Not even Ross Lyon could win a premiership coaching the Saints or Dockers, So I doubt he'd been good enough to coach Geelong to a premiership in 2011.
lol- I'm no Ross fan- but look at the lists he got to a Granny and compare to Geelong's in every yera over past decade or so- majority of saints/freo GF lists wouldnt get a game for cats 2s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back