CHRIS SCOTT

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know who wrote this, but given how this thread has gone, I'm sure there are plenty of disgruntled Cats supporters who'll remember these incidents.

Top Five Chris Scott Finals F@ck Ups
Congrats to Chris for Friday night for making a new entry in my top five finals f@ck ups by him

5. Dropping consistent goal kicker that year Dan Menzel to bring in untried 12 year old Zac Gutherie to face the Tigers in front of 95,000 at the MCG for the 2017 Qualifying Final. Genius, Hardwick couldn't of made a better selection

4. Starting the best midfielder Dangerfield at Full Forward against the Crows at Adelaide Oval in the 2017 Prelim. After 15 minutes Chris decided to give Danger a spell in the midfield and we were 5 goals to zip down. Classic Chris move that one.

3. Geelong playing Qualifying final at Kardinia Park for the first time in 50 years (Me; HUH?) and it is finals warrior Chappys 250th game. Chris plays his master stroke giving Chappy the sub vest! Brings him on at 3 quarter time where he gets a dozen dispossals when the game is lost. Chappy goes on to be best on ground the next week against Port earning this head scratcher #3. Weeks later Chris gets his underlings to tell Chappy he is past it and out of the club. He goes onto to play 2 more years at Essendon and become a cult fan favourite for The Don's.

2. Despite kicking 50 goals in 2013 Chris's Scott pulls a last minute masterstroke dropping Tom Hawkins for the Qualifying Final before the game and bringing in Josh Walker instead. Reports say Chris is still evaluating the impact of this decision and that Walkers 7 touches, 2 marks and 1 point made a big contribution to the team. Geelong loose the game by 3 goals btw.

1. The new club house leader. After getting his head from out of his arse Chris declares it is going to pour rain for the final against the Pies at the MCG and because of that we are not going to play any ruckman. Despite that he is up against the current AA ruckman and that Stanley had got the best of Grundy at the same venue earlier in the year, Chris has had a light bulb finals moment again. Disregarding any fleeting concerns of the disruptions it would do to the back and forward line structures by getting key position players to play ruck all night Chris ploughs ahead with the master stroke. The fact that it didn't rain a drop, that Geelong got beat, Grundy dominated hit outs and the Pies midfielders got a armchair ride all night doesn't faze Supercoach Chris who was last seen evaluating if Grundy had a impact!

Can't help but wonder what Chris and 6 or 7 others are going to dream up to try and baffle the opposition, but only succeed in confusing our own players and supporters.

Everyone makes mistakes, it's only idiots who don't learn from them and keep on making them.

You need to expand out to a top 10. Neither of you have even mentioned "mission accomplished"

Solid list, and I think we can just about get it to 10.....

10. "Mission accomplished". In actuality it wasn't in a final, it was after the Hawthorn v Geelong match in Round 22, 2014. Geelong led by 31 points at half time; but an 11 goal to 3 second half saw Hawthorn win by 23 points. Not a final, but it was so mindblowingly stupid a remark by Scott I'm happy to promote it.

9. Putting Harry Taylor forward at the start of the 2017 Qualifying Final against Richmond. This wasn't as boneheaded as it first appeared; Taylor had kicked 4 goals and was crucial in the team's 14 point win over Richmond a few weeks earlier, and Taylor had gotten the better of Rance. Problem was it was unlikely to be repeated, Rance seemed to remember it very well, and he beat Taylor like a redheaded stepchild. We only kicked 5 goals for the match. We got smashed as well.

8. Putting Lachie Henderson up forward for the 2016 Preliminary Final against Sydney. He'd been playing in defence all season, and his contributions before and since for Geelong have always been better in the backline. No matter, this masterstroke saw him gather a whopping 8 touches for 0 goals. Another belting too obviously.

7. Putting not-just-a-crap-ruckman-but-also-a-crap-winger Mark Blicavs on Brad motherfathering Hill at the start of the 2014 Qualifying Final. Blicavs has never been a winger but that hasn't stopped Scott from thinking he can play anywhere, anytime. Which he can, just not very well. And not in a final against a guy half his size and twice his speed. 27 touches to Hill later, Blicavs had zero impact and we chalked up yet another impressive finals loss.

6. This could be 1B and was my clubhouse leader before last week. Dropping Trent West for the 2013 Qualifying Final. Scott's initial crush for Mark Blicavs had blossomed into full irrational love by late 2013 and had convinced him that he and Nathan Vardy were quite equipped to handle Aaron Sandilands in the Qualifying Final. This despite the fact West had competed very well against Leuenberger and Brisbane the previous week (in the last 8 weeks of 2013, that game was the only one were we won the hitouts, clearances, and centre clearances, oh yes we won the game too). Still it wasn't enough to allow logic and sanity to prevail. Our rucks were completely and utterly molested by Sandilands, and the 53-16 hitout count was actually even worse than it looked. I'm legitimately impressed that Scott was able to dust it off after six years for a perfect repeat performance.

Maybe it's all been a cunning ruse, and we're about to see three magnificant finals wins.

10. "Mission accomplished". In actuality it wasn't in a final, it was after the Hawthorn v Geelong match in Round 22, 2014. Geelong led by 31 points at half time; but an 11 goal to 3 second half saw Hawthorn win by 23 points. Not a final, but it was so mindblowingly stupid a remark by Scott I'm happy to promote it.

9. Putting Harry Taylor forward at the start of the 2017 Qualifying Final against Richmond. This wasn't as boneheaded as it first appeared; Taylor had kicked 4 goals and was crucial in the team's 14 point win over Richmond a few weeks earlier, and Taylor had gotten the better of Rance. Problem was it was unlikely to be repeated, Rance seemed to remember it very well, and he beat Taylor like a redheaded stepchild. We only kicked 5 goals for the match. We got smashed as well.

8. Putting Lachie Henderson up forward for the 2016 Preliminary Final against Sydney. He'd been playing in defence all season, and his contributions before and since for Geelong have always been better in the backline. No matter, this masterstroke saw him gather a whopping 8 touches for 0 goals. Another belting too obviously.

7. Putting not-just-a-crap-ruckman-but-also-a-crap-winger Mark Blicavs on Brad motherfathering Hill at the start of the 2014 Qualifying Final. Blicavs has never been a winger but that hasn't stopped Scott from thinking he can play anywhere, anytime. Which he can, just not very well. And not in a final against a guy half his size and twice his speed. 27 touches to Hill later, Blicavs had zero impact and we chalked up yet another impressive finals loss.

6. This could be 1B and was my clubhouse leader before last week. Dropping Trent West for the 2013 Qualifying Final. Scott's initial crush for Mark Blicavs had blossomed into full irrational love by late 2013 and had convinced him that he and Nathan Vardy were quite equipped to handle Aaron Sandilands in the Qualifying Final. This despite the fact West had competed very well against Leuenberger and Brisbane the previous week (in the last 8 weeks of 2013, that game was the only one were we won the hitouts, clearances, and centre clearances, oh yes we won the game too). Still it wasn't enough to allow logic and sanity to prevail. Our rucks were completely and utterly molested by Sandilands, and the 53-16 hitout count was actually even worse than it looked. I'm legitimately impressed that Scott was able to dust it off after six years for a perfect repeat performance.

Maybe it's all been a cunning ruse, and we're about to see three magnificant finals wins.

Love it.

It does amuse me that everyone says Scott doesn't have a plan B, yet his plan B's are the main problem :eek:

Myopic oppo fans fail to see the true problem. It’s all Scott’s fault herp derp.

The true problem lies elsewhere. For all his plaudits, and he is a great recruiter, Wells has barely drafted a good ruckman in nearly 30 years. In that time Barnes, King, Blake and Mumford would be the only decent or better one’s he’s drafted... Since 2011 the ruck in finals proves to be our Achilles heel. We constantly get battered there, and as a result constantly lose the midfield battle and play a finals match on the back foot. Secondly he cannot draft small forwards either. Ronnie Burns, Stokes, Chapman and Stevie J isn’t a good return for a quarter of a century. In today’s football you need pressure forwards to lock it in. Quick nippy blokes who can lock it in but also score. Collingwood last night had Thomas, Elliott, Stephenson... we had Atkins (VFL inside mid tackling machine, but can’t score), Dahlhaus (flanker/mid type), Rohan (impact player who is a tackling machine) and Ablett (who is all goals and little pressure)

Our finals losses in recent years play out in the same fashion. Pressure goes up, we get spanked in the ruck, resultantly spanked in the midfield and then spend the game on the back foot. We can’t get the ball out of defence and ultimately fall short cos we can’t score.

Last night was no different. You and many others can and will point at it being all Scott, but he’s a secondary problem. The same results will happen until they recruit a quality ruckman, good small forwards, and some midfielders with good skills. We could have Norm Smith as coach as it wouldn’t change much.

The Geelong ruck division must be at an all time low.

Obvious the coach doesn't rate any of them.

The club is already chasing Goldstiegn hard so now the list managers are showing they don't rate any of them.

Cats fans have nothing good to say about any of their rucks either

And Naitanui plus Hockey awaits. Hickey played his best game for the year v Geelong in Geelong in a flogging.

Scarlett reeks of some kind of undiagnosed mental disorder. Claims the entire Geelong team hated Maxwell because of Tom Harley comparisons? These comments wouldn’t have actually bothered footballers who had a life outside of the game.

Jimmy Bartel and Nick Maxwell are also good mates and he was literally one of their most important players during the premiership years.

Also abit of a joke that arguably one of the greatest fullbacks takes the time out to put out shots on a battler who got the most of himself. Scarlett despite achieving so much couldnt let it go and wanted to convince others to hate Maxwell just like he did.
Yep- it's bizarre- why would he even bother making a comment. Scarlo clearly has some issues and is a massive sook and bully
As much as I disliked Maxwell the footballer- he was a bit dirty and basically useless (like Rance!) 1 on 1- he seems like a decent and humble bloke off field.
Harley- I didnt mind as a footballer- but was basically a less dirty maxwell- but cannot stand him off field- seems an up himself above everyone else flog.

Good on Scott for 2011, but he's an average coach at best. Has the luxury of coaching the only Victorian side with a significant home ground advantage so Geelong can always be competitive, but their finals results in the last 7 years tell the story. Geelong will get past West Coast this week, but not Richmond. I'll be very surprised if Scott leads Geelong to another premiership. Have no problem with his contract being extended ;)

Scarlett reeks of some kind of undiagnosed mental disorder. Claims the entire Geelong team hated Maxwell because of Tom Harley comparisons? These comments wouldn’t have actually bothered footballers who had a life outside of the game.

Jimmy Bartel and Nick Maxwell are also good mates and he was literally one of their most important players during the premiership years.

Also abit of a joke that arguably one of the greatest fullbacks takes the time out to put out shots on a battler who got the most of himself. Scarlett despite achieving so much couldnt let it go and wanted to convince others to hate Maxwell just like he did.
Looks imbalanced. So does Scott.

And it's worse than old man grumpiness syndrome that Malthouse had.

It's actually some sort of dislike / disregard for anything not conforming with their point of view.

Don't forget: the decision to leave out Rhys Stanley (because of the rain which never came) was made by six other people. Not just Chris Scott. It's important that people understand when mistakes are made, it's not Chris Scott acting alone. As for Grundy's influence on the game, he would "have to watch the replay to be certain and the Cats won the clearances" (so Grundy probably wasn't that great anyway, blah blah blah...)

What a ungracious, petulant sook he has turned out to be. They say teams take after their coaches. It's true. A whinging sooky coach for a team of whinging sooks.

My favourite line was when he said the Cats were "in control of the game from the 14 minute mark of the 1st quarter". :D

Clown.

giphy.gif

262ede42ba0523ec4c7ed72920046ebb.jpg
Chris Scott's skill at the selection table is only matched by Tim Paine's skill with DRS reviews. Both are legendary!

Is the oil on SJ good is it? He's doing well/highly regarded?

Well from what I've been told he's a very astute football person. No idea if he's highly regarded league wide but we'd be fun to watch again.
Really? Scarlett is in control of one of the best defences in the league where pretty much everyone has stepped up to a new level.

Scarlett is entitled to be pi**ed that one of the most important cogs of that defence was taken away and put in the ruck when that cog is not a ruckman.

And frankly a lot of these problems are because no one will stand up to Scott. At least Scarlett - not surprisingly - is.
Yes really. Ignore our points conceded for a second. What do all of Kolodjashnij, O'Connor, Bews, Taylor, Blicavs and Tuohy have in common besides being reliable one on one defenders? And remembering Scarlett has a major say in the make-up of our defense.

His finals record is pathetic and his constant whinging is childish. But can you sack a coach that constantly takes you to the top four? I don’t know, but the Cats need a change and I think it starts with the coach. otherwise this finals monkey on their back will get even bigger than what Richmond’s was.

Dont know if you follow NBA but Toronto sacked their coach despite how they kept finishing top or near top.

IMO I think there are mindset issues and it may stem through to the playing group. Constant whinging is part of that. If not for Dangerfield and Stewart that was a 10 goal loss vs Collingwood, the rest of the team dissappeared.

They talk about only needing 1 tall defender against the Pies so they drop Stanley and play Blicavs in the ruck. Blicavs basically all Aust defender before the bye. Wouldn't you drop Taylor who is slow and basically cooked and leave Blicavs at full back. Especially with the speed the Pies have in the forward line.
It has nothing to do with defence. Scott hates ruckman. Doesnt value them. He wants a reason to not play them and blicavs is it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has nothing to do with defence. Scott hates ruckman. Doesnt value them. He wants a reason to not play them and blicavs is it.
It’s not that he doesn’t value them it’s that he thinks Blicavs is our saviour in every way.
Need a key back? Blicavs.
Need a key forward? Blicavs
Need a tagger? Blicavs
Need a winger? Blicavs
Need a ruck? Blicavs
Bloke has been playing favourites with players since he came to the club, he clearly has NFI what he’s doing.

Looks imbalanced. So does Scott.

And it's worse than old man grumpiness syndrome that Malthouse had.

It's actually some sort of dislike / disregard for anything not conforming with their point of view.

Hmm no Scarlo just doesn't like many people. Has always been that way. Great defender and seems to be a very good defensive coach but people skills are not his go.

Stanley was quoted as saying he was told he was out the day before so either he is lying or Scott is about the weather, can’t have it both ways, my money is on Stanley tell8ng the truth

It was reported, in the Geelong Addie I believe, that the fact that Stanley was out of the side was well known around G'Town before lunch on Thursday.

Last edited:
Most of our issues revolve around Scarlett. The quicker the both are gone the better. Bring SJ in to coach.

This post makes no sense. We consistently finish top 4 or top 8 every year, we have managed to do this while losing a lot of experienced players and still keeping a top 8 list. Our issues are that we play poorly after a bye, have no good ruck and we play poorly in finals, these issues have been present since 2012 and Scarlett joined us in 2016.

Good on Scott for 2011, but he's an average coach at best. Has the luxury of coaching the only Victorian side with a significant home ground advantage so Geelong can always be competitive, but their finals results in the last 7 years tell the story. Geelong will get past West Coast this week, but not Richmond. I'll be very surprised if Scott leads Geelong to another premiership. Have no problem with his contract being extended ;)

He has the bigger luxury that Danger chose to go there

It’s not that he doesn’t value them it’s that he thinks Blicavs is our saviour in every way.
Need a key back? Blicavs.
Need a key forward? Blicavs
Need a tagger? Blicavs
Need a winger? Blicavs
Need a ruck? Blicavs
Bloke has been playing favourites with players since he came to the club, he clearly has NFI what he’s doing.

Need a bloke to win a "Carji" or two, Blitzer of course. LOL

Chris Scott Presser: Tuesday 10th Sept.
On dropping Stanley:
Stanley confirmed on Monday he had been dumped from the side following training on Thursday last week and watched on as the Pies converted four goals from stoppages in the first term – as a major part of the result.
Scott disagreed on both fronts.
"We were still talking about the call 90 minutes before the game time, so we didn't need more time necessarily," Scott said.
"I understand you're probably going to say Rhys was under the impression that he wasn't going to play on the Thursday, (but) it doesn't preclude us from saying 'Hey mate, we actually are going to play you'.
"It's not as if we made the call early and we were absolutely committed to it.
“In reviewing it, with the ruck situation, we didn’t think that the numbers around the clearance necessarily supported that was the reason we lost the game.” (In other words "The players who aren't in the coaches pet group were late getting to the game because they didn't know if they were going to be picked or not and by the time we got it sorted the Pies already had 4 goals from 15 inside 50 entries")
On playing the West Coast w***ers: Scott hasn’t confirmed Stanley will be included again to face the likely duo of Nic Naitanui and Tom Hickey
(In other words "We'll go with Blitzer again")
but included his name among the likes of midfielder Cam Guthrie, defender Lachie Henderson (In other words "To replace Blitzer at full back")
and veteran Scott Selwood (In other words "We need another slow moving mid") as personnel in the mix to run out onto the MCG in a bid to avoid a straight-sets exit.

The club is already chasing Goldstiegn hard so now the list managers are showing they don't rate any of them.

And Naitanui plus Hockey awaits. Hickey played his best game for the year v Geelong in Geelong in a flogging.
Smith and stanley are sh**loads better ruckman then blicavs. So we can say that.

Nothing wrong with Stanley, I'm a big fan..

Cant wait to see the top 5. I probably would of had 6 in the top 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back