CHRIS SCOTT

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
This post makes no sense. We consistently finish top 4 or top 8 every year, we have managed to do this while losing a lot of experienced players and still keeping a top 8 list. Our issues are that we play poorly after a bye, have no good ruck and we play poorly in finals, these issues have been present since 2012 and Scarlett joined us in 2016.

Playing poorly after a bye and playing poorly in finals are pretty much one and the same now since they introduced the pre-finals bye.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Yep- it's bizarre- why would he even bother making a comment. Scarlo clearly has some issues and is a massive sook and bully
As much as I disliked Maxwell the footballer- he was a bit dirty and basically useless (like Rance!) 1 on 1- he seems like a decent and humble bloke off field.
Harley- I didnt mind as a footballer- but was basically a less dirty maxwell- but cannot stand him off field- seems an up himself above everyone else flog.
D43BD3D5-F6DD-488B-9741-60E74639B1EB.jpeg

Talks about what happens on the field stays on the field, yet takes shots at Maxwell years after those games were played.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Dont know if you follow NBA but Toronto sacked their coach despite how they kept finishing top or near top.

IMO I think there are mindset issues and it may stem through to the playing group. Constant whinging is part of that. If not for Dangerfield and Stewart that was a 10 goal loss vs Collingwood, the rest of the team dissappeared.

Back in 2013 the Nuggets sacked coach Karl after he won the coach of the year award, and subsequently tanked in the finals.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Bloody liar you are. Not even Ross Lyon could win a premiership coaching the Saints or Dockers, So I doubt he'd been good enough to coach Geelong to a premiership in 2011.
I reckon Ross Lyon might of Coached The cats to the 2011 AFL grand final. Just wont get that 19-3 record.

Ross Lyon would of had the forward line to do it too. 2 solid KPFs in Tom Hawkins and James posiadly. 2 goal scoring smalls/medium forwards in Stevie Johnson and travis varcoe and a rotating mid in Paul Chapman.

Lyons Freo forward line up consisted of one KPF in Matty Pavlich at the end of his career, 2 small forwards in walters and ballantyne. a medium tall at 187cm in chris mayne as CHF and a ruckman in zac Clarke in a forward flank.

Ross Lyon was a good enough coach to beat your mob in 2 finals, 1 at the mcg in 2012 and in your turf in 2013.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep- it's bizarre- why would he even bother making a comment. Scarlo clearly has some issues and is a massive sook and bully
As much as I disliked Maxwell the footballer- he was a bit dirty and basically useless (like Rance!) 1 on 1- he seems like a decent and humble bloke off field.
Harley- I didnt mind as a footballer- but was basically a less dirty maxwell- but cannot stand him off field- seems an up himself above everyone else flog.
Scarlett is a massive dickhead. A schoolyard bully.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I know that the 2016 finals series was a few years ago.....

But its one game that stood out in my memory.

Im talking about the 2016 Prelim final between the cats and Swans at the MCG.

To this day im still scratching my head how The swans dominated that 1st half. Swans kicked 11 goals to 2 in the 1st half and in the end won 15.7.97 to 8.12.60. Both teams had similar amount of scoring shots.

Swans eased off the pedal in the 2nd half kicking only 4 goals.

That game the cats should of won narrowly kicking 13.7.85 to 9.13.67. some swans played out of their skin that night.

I still held on that firm view had the cats made that Grand final, they would of beaten either giants or dogs. They definately had a good record over the dogs at that point too.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't forget: the decision to leave out Rhys Stanley (because of the rain which never came) was made by six othe
I know that the 2016 finals series was a few years ago.....

But its one game that stood out in my memory.

Im talking about the 2016 Prelim final between the cats and Swans at the MCG.

To this day im still scratching my head how The swans dominated that 1st half. Swans kicked 11 goals to 2 in the 1st half and in the end won 15.7.97 to 8.12.60. Both teams had similar amount of scoring shots.

Swans eased off the pedal in the 2nd half kicking only 4 goals.

That game the cats should of won narrowly kicking 13.7.85 to 9.13.67. some swans played out of their skin that night.

I still held on that firm view had the cats made that Grand final, they would of beaten either giants or dogs. They definately had a good record over the dogs at that point too.
lol...what are u banging on about here...this is total nonsense..
are u gonna tell us that if WCE win the next 3 games on the road that they dont deserve to be premiers?

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
No his REAL finals record is 6 wins and 10 losses. If we exclude that one year where Freo made the GF then Freo's REAL record is they have never made a GF.

Scott deserves the criticism for his finals record but it is stupid to exclude the one year he did well, just to make up a random point.

But who deserves credit for 2011?

Scott said repeatedly throughout 2011 that he was there to learn the Geelong way.

That's not to say he deserves no credit for 2011, but for the same reason why Alan Joyce is not regarded as a great coach, one must consider the context of the premiership and compare it to his subsequent efforts.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith and stanley are sh**loads better ruckman then blicavs. So we can say that.

That is not even the point.

Blicavs is a shitload better defender than whoever replaced him.

Grundy is the all Australian ruck and you have to assume he will win that position. Scotts plan should have been to neutralise that somehow.

Instead he robbed the backline of maybe its best player to play ruck. The result is Geelong still lost the ruck anyway and got they beaten in the back line as well.

It is just dumb.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
the cats are going to find it difficult to make it to the prelim..
I have an affection for them and will always.

Linlgly shouts from the hippie always strike nervously..

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
What I don't understand is that he was still going on about the Stanley dropping on Monday night. Accept it and move on, the guy has to learn to let things go and worry about what's coming.
The home ground thing, ffs mate, nearly every other amateur and junior competition will play at neutral or opposition grounds and if you are the best team you will win there or anywhere.

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
The home ground thing, ffs mate, nearly every other amateur and junior competition will play at neutral or opposition grounds and if you are the best team you will win there or anywhere.
I believe the Home Ground discussion was only intitated to try and steer the narrative away from Geelongs poor finals record and their inability to win after a bye.

Nick Del Santo criticized Brad Scott for playing his players out of position adn unable to get the best out of them when he forst went into the media, I can see the similarities when hearing Geelong supporters talk about their team, how Chris has managed to avoid more robust ctiricism is fascinating.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
What I don't understand is that he was still going on about the Stanley dropping on Monday night. Accept it and move on, the guy has to learn to let things go and worry about what's coming.
Actually I went to my son’s VAFA final on the weekend-it was played on a neutral venue. Always is.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I believe the Home Ground discussion was only intitated to try and steer the narrative away from Geelongs poor finals record and their inability to win after a bye.

Nick Del Santo criticized Brad Scott for playing his players out of position adn unable to get the best out of them when he forst went into the media, I can see the similarities when hearing Geelong supporters talk about their team, how Chris has managed to avoid more robust ctiricism is fascinating.
Lol- you have no idea. Half our board want him sacked.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
But I don't think he gets enough credit for 2011 in general. You can't just write it all off - the same team they beat in 2011 absolutely thumped them in the Prelim the year before and they also lost the best player in the league in GAJ.
Or on the other hand imagine how good Geelong would have been pre-Scott if only their coach at the time wasn't smashing cocaine & ladyboys while trafficking commercial quantities of amphetamines as a side hustle.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Oh sorry didn’t get it. Yep agree -the media always gives Scott an easy time-never push him. Just cop his obtuse responses. I’d actually like them to push him more.
Won’t happen , wankley shuts it down pretty quickly

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Or on the other hand imagine how good Geelong would have been pre-Scott if only their coach at the time wasn't smashing cocaine & ladyboys while trafficking commercial quantities of amphetamines as a side hustle.

Not sure if the playing group had enough of Thompson in 2010, maybe they did? His relationship with GAJ had soured at least. Either way though, that team had enough quality to be good no matter who was coaching.

Back