Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one year I wasn't that distraught was 1994 - we weren't in the top 2 teams that year and had three very tough finals. But 1992 was terrible and in some ways 1995 was the worst of the lot. We'd had the week's break (the only time in all those seasons we'd had that), and we'd pushed Carlton to the wire at Princes Park in their only meeting that year. It was a monumental choke.
Almost my thoughts and memories too.
92- every reason to think we could have beaten that interstate team given our first half, but a pretty insipid second half v inspirational games from Matera and Kemp.
In 94, we had our GF against NM. Should probably not have won that going on seedings and expectations, but Buddha et al did not let up- a truly amazing win. But zero left the week after, and Ablett, on his 34th birthday, had a poor one, as all the WCE fans around us kept reminding us.
95- We had every reason for some optimism regarding this GF to be at least competitive- superb wins v Dogs and Richmond. But that was a really poor GF, nearly my worst, but made me realise we just were not the best team. Watching Diesel dominate- all the more sickening.
Then 2008. It can not ever get any worse for a Cat fan. Nothing more to say.
We have had 2 flags since that D-Day, but 08 would have been.....

Uhuh, I dunno, all seems a bit of a stretch to me. You walked out of the 2008 loss, not too fussed because we were going to win it in 2009?
Well I didn't say that. I didn't say that 'I thought we were going to win in 2009' you might want to stop misquoting me as whatever you want to say about me I don't misquote people on here and during our little debate recently have shown you the courtesy of not misquoting you either, which is a courtesy at the very least you could return. I'm just being honest about how I felt after the 2008 debacle, we'd come off about 22 months of losing 3 games, playing in two GF's and winning one, that is far from a mediocre record and if somebody did complain about that and say it wasn't good enough they'd be a bit of a prick really...
Now however we find ourselves having won one final in nearly 5 years despite playing in 6 finals, which to me is the very definition of mediocrity.

Last edited:
That alone suggests to me that maybe you didn't really endure the nineties that you seem to know so much about. How old are you again old thing?
Who are these unhappy senior people in the club please?
I'm in my mid 30s (you only had to look up my profile?) as for who these senior people are in the club? I've got no idea, ask Chook Norris he was the one that said there are rumblings of discontent with Scotts performance with this new list, I don't even know if it's true? But having seen ChookNorris post on here for a few years now he doesn't strike me as a poster that would make something up for the hell of it, or to instigate a reaction, so I tend to believe him.

95- We had every reason for some optimism regarding this GF to be at least competitive- superb wins v Dogs and Richmond. But that was a really poor GF, nearly my worst, but made me realise we just were not the best team. Watching Diesel dominate- all the more sickening.
Just on '95' there was that game during the season out at Princes Park where we played the Blues (I think Partridge mentioned it earlier) it still rates in my mind as one of the best games of footy I've ever seen if not the best, there were some real champions on the ground that day and we should've won, (we kicked badly) it did make the '95' GF all the harder to take.

Well I didn't say that. I didn't say that 'I thought we were going to win in 2009' you might want to stop misquoting me as whatever you want to say about me I don't misquote people on here and during our little debate recently have shown you the courtesy of not misquoting you either, which is a courtesy at the very least you could return. I'm just being honest about how I felt after the 2008 debacle, we'd come off about 22 months of losing 3 games, playing in two GF's and winning one, that is far from a mediocre record and if somebody did complain about that and say it wasn't good enough they'd be a bit of a prick really...
Now however we find ourselves having won one final in nearly 5 years despite playing in 6 finals, which to me is the very definition of mediocrity.
Right sorry, ok, you weren't fussed because you thought we'd 'still be a good chance in 2009"-bit semantic, but there you go. Good chance to what?
And, if misquoting bothers you so much, where I have said 'Scott's our man'. Mostly I have questioned your assessments of him as being invalid because they don't factor in the variables and let's see how he goes this year when he has a much improved team.
I don't see it as picky when a stand out team having a stand out year loses a GF. Criticism of that loss was well deserved,and yep-that is the very definition of a mediocre performance. Not sure why you'd dispute that.

I'm in my mid 30s (you only had to look up my profile?) as for who these senior people are in the club? I've got no idea, ask Chook Norris he was the one that said there are rumblings of discontent with Scotts performance with this new list, I don't even know if it's true? But having seen ChookNorris post on here for a few years now he doesn't strike me as a poster that would make something up for the hell of it, or to instigate a reaction, so I tend to believe him.
Well nothing against Chook but you are on a footy forum, accepting as gospel, info from a poster who you don't actually know and repeating it, even though you 'don't even know if it is true?' Give it a spell.

accepting as gospel
Did you read my post? I find it hard to believe anybody could read what I wrote and come to the conclusion that I'm taking it 'as gospel?' Do I believe it's more likely true than not? Yes, but with natural and reasonable lingering doubts.

I don't see it as picky when a stand out team having a stand out year loses a GF. Criticism of that loss was well deserved,and yep-that is the very definition of a mediocre performance. Not sure why you'd dispute that.
We seem to be actually agreeing with each other over 2008 so it is weird why it's an argument, your saying criticism of 2008 is justified and so am I. I just don't think you could label it mediocre in the context of our previous 22 months or so since that famous loss to North Melbourne down at KP in early 2007.
Also I think you misread my post I didn't say you'd have to be 'picky,' I said you'd have to be a bit of a 'prick' to call our 2008 GF performance in the context of the previous 22 months, mediocre.

And just for clarification the use of the term 'you'd' above doesn't refer to you personally but rather a collective.

Just on '95' there was that game during the season out at Princes Park where we played the Blues (I think Partridge mentioned it earlier) it still rates in my mind as one of the best games of footy I've ever seen if not the best, there were some real champions on the ground that day and we should've won, (we kicked badly) it did make the '95' GF all the harder to take.

Agree - the Princes Park game was a ripper - I think Gaz had a shot late to win but missed IIRC

95 GF day - got there full of optimism at sparrows at the AFL Members entrance ready to race up the stairs to get seats on the wing . Managed to do that then watched us just not turn up at all - absolutely shattered and came away feeling a Cats GF win would come well after me pushing up daisies.

Was there in 2007 but still shitting myself till very late in the game , watched 08 in horror from overseas. Was hopeful we had changed and was vindicated in 09 and 11.
Have watched us rebuild on the run and still play finals since.
Glad we arrested 2015 with aggressive recruiting and a more effective game plan.
Had us in Top 8 for 2016 - big tick
Had us winning at least one final in 2016 - yet to be determined
I think we will be much better over the next 2 years , whether that's good enough with other Clubs progressing as well is also yet to be seen.
You have to back the boys in though - otherwise why be a supporter of the greatest team of all. :D

Of course you would.
Cheap and easy shot Catman. I was being sincere when saying that, not just shamelessly saying something to suit what you perceive to be my agenda. You've been on here for a while have you known ChookNorris to say outrageous lies just to prompt reactions or discussion? I certainly haven't.

Did you read my post? I find it hard to believe anybody could read what I wrote and come to the conclusion that I'm taking it 'as gospel?' Do I believe it's more likely true than not? Yes, but with natural and reasonable lingering doubts.
Yep but can you see, given the sourcing, how silly it is to then propagate an unverified view in your line of argument?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - the Princes Park game was a ripper - I think Gaz had a shot late to win but missed IIRC

95 GF day - got there full of optimism at sparrows at the AFL Members entrance ready to race up the stairs to get seats on the wing . Managed to do that then watched us just not turn up at all - absolutely shattered and came away feeling a Cats GF win would come well after me pushing up daisies.

Was there in 2007 but still shitting myself till very late in the game , watched 08 in horror from overseas. Was hopeful we had changed and was vindicated in 09 and 11.
Have watched us rebuild on the run and still play finals since.
Glad we arrested 2015 with aggressive recruiting and a more effective game plan.
Had us in Top 8 for 2016 - big tick
Had us winning at least one final in 2016 - yet to be determined
I think we will be much better over the next 2 years , whether that's good enough with other Clubs progressing as well is also yet to be seen.
You have to back the boys in though - otherwise why be a supporter of the greatest team of all. :D
I was there at Princes Park, what a great game. Was it Bairstow who missed from about a metre out, right in front near the end?

Just admit it, you took it as gospel and you're feeling foolish and backtracking.

That's pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell but if we don't finish in the too 4 based on both our talent, our draw, our relatively injury free list and our start to the year then questions need to be asked of both the coach and the match committee.

If we finish with the double chance and don't at least make a prelim final, the coach needs to go... No questions asked.

Yep, I agree with all that Nakia. There is no doubt that he should be held accountable if we can't get to a prelim. That's my minimum expectation of the side too.

Cheap and easy shot Catman. I was being sincere when saying that, not just shamelessly saying something to suit what you perceive to be my agenda. You've been on here for a while have you known ChookNorris to say outrageous lies just to prompt reactions or discussion? I certainly haven't.
I'm sceptical about anything unsubstantiated I read online. I don't doubt he may have heard something, doesn't mean it's from a reliable or accurate source, does it?

It just creates unnecessary speculation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back