Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coach aside.

This is how I see things.

Firstly, who in their right mind decides, with a squad that is clearly good enough to be regularly around top four, that suddenly the high percentage option, when you're close to being a powerhouse team, that ditching everything and starting over is a good idea. Does it make any sense for a regular finals side to do that? Of course not. MAYBE if you made one finals series in 7-8 spot, got belted, and then finished just outside the 8 the next year, you'd consider it. But that's it.

So on that score, no one in their right mind opts to rebuild.

Secondly, it is competitive sport. If you are going out there not aiming to win as many regular season games as you can each and every week, you are in the wrong business.

Thirdly, all the other successful sides of the last decade have made a habit of seeing a gap and filling it with specific players. Even we did it with Ottens - a perfect definition of the 'final piece of the puzzle.' Hawthorn did it with heaps of players, Sydney have done it, even the eagles are trying to do it. The alternative method hasn't even been proven to work and it won't have been proven until Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond or in a way GWS (who had extra help) win something. The Dogs sit somewhere in the middle for me. They kind of had it forced upon them and managed to balance their older players with incoming ones. And even now, they're not in a great position to build on it.

Lastly, whatever anyone thinks about the deficiencies or finals inadequacies of our side, let me say this. If you are in that top 8, more specifically the top 4, you have a chance, no matter what history or the recent past dictates. Should we forget where we are at because in one game of footy, Sydney came out of the blocks and belted us? No. On another day we could well have played out or arses and beaten them, who knows. If you throw enough rice at a barn door, you will hit it eventually. It only takes 3 good games. Give yourself a shot at playing those 3 good games, and you're in the mix. I don't want to throw that gilt-edged chance away on the very flimsy chance that in five years, after losing constantly, we suddenly become a beast again.

Very true, Not without hope, and I am in no way critcal of our list, but rather defending it from those vitriolic opinions that get so heated when we lose, as if it should never happen.
Losing is one thing. To not turn up for a half is another. So long as I think the team played to their ability I'm not overly fussed, but 15 in a half of football is pretty bloody poor.

Losing is one thing. To not turn up for a half is another. So long as I think the team played to their ability I'm not overly fussed, but 15 in a half of football is pretty bloody poor.

In the flip side they scored 50.

If we were absolutely excruciatingly bad, a side like the eagles are at home would have put 70-80 on us, even allowing for their relatively poor kicking. Not that we were great defensively, but we weren't disgraceful.

In the flip side they scored 50.

If we were absolutely excruciatingly bad, a side like the eagles are at home would have put 70-80 on us, even allowing for their relatively poor kicking. Not that we were great defensively, but we weren't disgraceful.
Both sides had some poor kicking, I think we went 4 behinds interrupted only by an Eagles goal at one point in the 4th - I'd be interested to learn the X-score, not sure which way it'll swing.

I guess I just don't think the performance reflected where we should be at or the quality of our list as a consequence of collective failures. That's my gripe.

Both sides had some poor kicking, I think we went 4 behinds interrupted only by an Eagles goal at one point in the 4th - I'd be interested to learn the X-score, not sure which way it'll swing.

I guess I just don't think the performance reflected where we should be at or the quality of our list as a consequence of collective failures. That's my gripe.

It definitely didn't, I won't argue with that.

We were not allowed to play to our ability, and that ability is limited.
What we saw at home for 3 weeks was and is clearly unsustainable for lengthy periods
No way could we do it for 4 weeks in September, including a likely interstate game. We just do not have that blend of players in our team that can win flags- potent midfield- we are close with 2/maybe 3; -small crumbing opportunistic forwards- injured/non-existent;- 2 power KFs-we have one;- great run off HB-we have Tuohey, and he is not the answer for metres gained;- we have deficiencies all over the ground, and I am impressed we are still in contention. We are just not meant to be there, despite our recent spak-filla recruiting.
But, at the end of it all, most other teams also have multiple issues.

Watching Gold Coast last night-i only saw half an hour-cannot work out how we lost to them. Bombers and pies I actually can get but GC are an ordinary team.
Except the night they played us, their quicks were superquick and not injured, they had all their MF back, and they were hungry. Teams still love to get up for us. Their strengths were exactly our weaknesses.

We were not allowed to play to our ability, and that ability is limited.
This is your opinion, I know. Going over specific aspects of the list would be fruitless - I rate our players more highly than you do and you rate the opposition they need to be compared to more highly than I do (in at least some cases). So while in principle we agree on the structure and talent required to be a premiership team, we probably wouldn't agree on who is or isn't a good fit for it.

What I will say is I'm not afraid of playing with a very lopsided list. Happy to have out and out superstars that make other players look more average than they would in other sides, there's only one ball and it resets to a ruck contest after every ball. If you have two that can dominate the centre clearance then even a poor team has an enormous advantage.

This is your opinion, I know. Going over specific aspects of the list would be fruitless - I rate our players more highly than you do and you rate the opposition they need to be compared to more highly than I do (in at least some cases). So while in principle we agree on the structure and talent required to be a premiership team, we probably wouldn't agree on who is or isn't a good fit for it.

What I will say is I'm not afraid of playing with a very lopsided list. Happy to have out and out superstars that make other players look more average than they would in other sides, there's only one ball and it resets to a ruck contest after every ball. If you have two that can dominate the centre clearance then even a poor team has an enormous advantage.
Good points.
I rate our players as they are ours, and I will always support them, and I never believe they turn up some games and not others. But I also believe if we just look at our own list week in, week out, we can be guilty of both overrating, and overcriticism.
There was an article preseason comparing the talent on each list, and we did not do well.(15th or 16th iirc)
Some weeks our C-D graders really lift and step up, and almost play well beyond their usual standards, and they are possibly driven by momentum, and our superstars. Other weeks, they just can't, and it mostly coincides with when our superstars are held.
I would be deliriously stunned if we had the list and the fortune to make and win a GF this year. It is not our turn, it is not expected, and really , a team like Melbourne is due, and this year may well be it, given events in 2016. But it is not impossible, and our team gives us hope every week, every season, and that is awesome.

Good points.
I rate our players as they are ours, and I will always support them, and I never believe they turn up some games and not others. But I also believe if we just look at our own list week in, week out, we can be guilty of both overrating, and overcriticism.
There was an article preseason comparing the talent on each list, and we did not do well.(15th or 16th iirc)
Some weeks our C-D graders really lift and step up, and almost play well beyond their usual standards, and they are possibly driven by momentum, and our superstars. Other weeks, they just can't, and it mostly coincides with when our superstars are held.
I would be deliriously stunned if we had the list and the fortune to make and win a GF this year. It is not our turn, it is not expected, and really , a team like Melbourne is due, and this year may well be it, given events in 2016. But it is not impossible, and our team gives us hope every week, every season, and that is awesome.
The thing that makes me laugh is this constant assessment by so called experts. So they think our talent is 15-16? But here we are 3rd.

These idiots are paid to comment. Each week they change their opinion. I just read the headlines that Carlton are just outside the top eight. Do I give a f*ck? No. Will they make the finals? No.

The experts have just as much of a clue as I do. It's a guess at best.

The primary issue is the ball and it's shape. It creates a randomness with timing which allows teams to have a momentum based on opportunity. If they convert, then they put scoreboard pressure on the opposition and often they win.

It's far more general than each specific moment in a game. Therefore a teams talent ranking means absolutely nothing.

All hail the great king bevo. The messiah of AFL coaching ranks who I have heard mentioned by biggy and co in here in tug fests amongst themselves. What has gone wrong?? Weren't we about to witness the next big coming and the next Alistair Clarkson bursting on the scene??

I called it at the start of the year in response to the constant jerk off contests about how great bevo is, that I wanted to see them back it up and perform this year, and to that they have shown nothing to the halfway mark.

Has a long way to go to stamp himself as anything that is brought up as examples of a great coach, his 17 campaign has been quite a failure. Can't say he is as good as Scott on any level

The thing that makes me laugh is this constant assessment by so called experts. So they think our talent is 15-16? But here we are 3rd.

These idiots are paid to comment. Each week they change their opinion. I just read the headlines that Carlton are just outside the top eight. Do I give a f*ck? No. Will they make the finals? No.

The primary issue is the ball and it's shape. It creates a randomness with timing which allows teams to have a momentum based on opportunity. If they convert, then they put scoreboard pressure on the opposition and often they win.

It's far more general than each specific moment in a game. Therefore a teams talent ranking means absolutely nothing.
True again.
We are really just filling in time until our next home game .

Yes am well aware we have Fremantle next week, there will be a thread for that.

What I am interested in discussing is how we can beat GWS, as they loom our biggest threat towards the premiership.

What is it we need to do in order to knock them off??

Not going to go into a big spiel yet as I want to watch them a lot closer when I get more time, but would love to hear others opinions and thoughts around the keys to beating them.

Go cats
Finding someone that can actually coach would be the first step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finding someone that can actually coach would be the first step.

Trollers gonna troll.
We lost to them once last year & we beat them once last year with the same coach, assume that win doesn't count? Games only count when we lose isn't that right?

Good points.
Not sure what article that was. When Champion Data ranked the lists we were 9th (and Hawthorn were 4th and Essendon 15th).

I don't think we have the best list in the league, or in many ways a premiership standard list. I do think a team that went 5-0 without a game at home to start the year is capable of winning 3-4 finals in theory, especially in a year as shallow as this. Doubt it'll happen.

That is 100% correct. The only game that counted for us last year was the preliminary final and we lost, actually we didn't jus lose, Sydney smashed us.

Hahaha of course that's the only game that counts. Even though if we didn't win enough Home & Away games during the season we wouldn't have even made the finals, those games that we won during the H&A season don't count even though they are the reason we got in a position to play a Qualifying Final and a Prelim Final in the first place.

All hail the great king bevo. The messiah of AFL coaching ranks who I have heard mentioned by biggy and co in here in tug fests amongst themselves. What has gone wrong?? Weren't we about to witness the next big coming and the next Alistair Clarkson bursting on the scene??

I called it at the start of the year in response to the constant jerk off contests about how great bevo is, that I wanted to see them back it up and perform this year, and to that they have shown nothing to the halfway mark.

Has a long way to go to stamp himself as anything that is brought up as examples of a great coach, his 17 campaign has been quite a failure. Can't say he is as good as Scott on any level
He won a premiership in his second year after the previous coach was booted out for poor results after the team finished 14th.... Unlike Scott who was handed a quality team that just needed motivation and had proved it could make finals. What has Scott won since that distant memory nearly 6 years ago?? You are a bit quick to judge the Bulldogs - wait until season end. Scott got us a 10th place finish in 2015 and a big pants pull down in most finals

He won a premiership in his second year after the previous coach was booted out for poor results after the team finished 14th.... Unlike Scott who was handed a quality team that just needed motivation and had proved it could make finals. What has Scott won since that distant memory nearly 6 years ago?? You are a bit quick to judge the Bulldogs - wait until season end. Scott got us a 10th place finish in 2015 and a big pants pull down in most finals
Nope the dogs are already done for this year. They are falling apart in a pretty embarrassing manner. Scott at least had us looking a possibility till we got into September after his flag win. It's okay to be critical of his finals record but it's churlish to not credit him for 2011.

I rated our list at the start of the year around 14th as far as talent. (might be a bit higher now with Hawkins and Duncan having better years than expected).

The difference between the sides lower than us, that have more talent than us is our talented players are fully developed. Hawkins, Selwood, Danger, Taylor, Lonergan etc are older players and aren't going to get much better.

Other clubs have a lot more talented young players but they aren't fully developed so they will be inconsistent and not match up to us physically. We saw earlier in the year an example of this against Melbourne and North where they outplayed us be we managed to win.

We might be 3rd but it doesnt mean much if we are no chance of winning the flag, all it really means is we will get worse draft picks at the end of the year and the talent gap will increase.

What has he won since?

More games than any other coach I think im correct in saying, or he's second to Clarko.

I rated our list at the start of the year around 14th as far as talent. (might be a bit higher now with Hawkins and Duncan having better years than expected).

The difference between the sides lower than us, that have more talent than us is our talented players are fully developed. Hawkins, Selwood, Danger, Taylor, Lonergan etc are older players and aren't going to get much better.

Other clubs have a lot more talented young players but they aren't fully developed so they will be inconsistent and not match up to us physically. We saw earlier in the year an example of this against Melbourne and North where they outplayed us be we managed to win.

We might be 3rd but it doesnt mean much if we are no chance of winning the flag, all it really means is we will get worse draft picks at the end of the year and the talent gap will increase.

Well we'd better start winning some spoons then like all those powerhouse talented lists below us on the ladder.

I've just realised what's been bugging me over the last decade.

It's the jealousy I feel towards the s**t eaters that have spent the whole time fisting themselves at the bottom of the ladder. Boy haven't we been missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back