Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We missed finals 2 years ago. Even Mathews admits coaching is 90% cattle.
Danger is like getting at least 2 good players. He's that good.
#derp
We've missed finals once since he became coach and turned over most of the list but it's all Danger #derp

If we didn't have Danger we'd still have Caddy and I expect we'd still make the finals but we'd not be sitting in 2nd spot at this point.

If we didn't have Danger we'd still have Caddy and I expect we'd still make the finals but we'd not be sitting in 2nd spot at this point.

Don't forget Dean Gore.

I suspect if we couldn't have got Dangerfield we wouldn't have traded in all of the other players as aggressively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree, in 2015 on this board everyone was in agreement that Selwood needed help as the heavy tagging on him was hurting our performances, then we jag Danger who happened to have a stellar year in 2016 and win a Brownlow and who is right up there this year also but some idiotic supporters want you to believet we would have been just as competitive without him, what a load of croc s**t. Actually if it came down to having to either get rid of Scott or Danger it would easily be bye bye Scott for me.
That's a tremendous retrospective from someone who joined in April 2016.

We had both Caddy and Danger last year.
Whatever, Caddy is no great loss.
Danger no doubt is the main reason we play finals these past 2 years.
Thank Scott for having that final say.

The consensus is that Chris Scott has kept us competing.
Really though it was getting Danger. I've never seen a player make such a difference. May not have even made the 8 last 2 years without him

If Scott isn't given credit for keeping Geelong competitive because we got Dangerfiled than no coach can ever get credit for winning a premiership .It is always the players who execute the game plan and skills out on the field , not the coach .It's just like saying Clarkson only coached hawthorn too 3 premierships in a row because he had the best players in the comp .

Sure you can say that Geelong depend on Danger more than most other top 4 sides depend on their best player but all that really does is make our side harder to coach for Scott. It would be much easier to coach our 2011 side when we had 10-12 A grade players supported by another 12 solid B graders .

We also shouldn't think that Geelong has taken the easy way by recruiting Danger and some other good mature age players . These recruitments just balance out the fact that Geelong has been more deprived of early draft picks over the past 13 years than any other club.

If Scott isn't given credit for keeping Geelong competitive because we got Dangerfiled than no coach can ever get credit for winning a premiership .It is always the players who execute the game plan and skills out on the field , not the coach .It's just like saying Clarkson only coached hawthorn too 3 premierships in a row because he had the best players in the comp .

Sure you can say that Geelong depend on Danger more than most other top 4 sides depend on their best player but all that really does is make our side harder to coach for Scott. It would be much easier to coach our 2011 side when we had 10-12 A grade players supported by another 12 solid B graders .

We also shouldn't think that Geelong has taken the easy way by recruiting Danger and some other good mature age players . These recruitments just balance out the fact that Geelong has been more deprived of early draft picks over the past 13 years than any other club.
Perfect summary.

Just looking at the stats for Geelong's coaches, and although few here would have seen many of Geelong's games under Bob Davis, he's renowned as a great coach of this club.

His record in about the same number of years as Scott is 69 wins, 34 losses and 4 draws, a H & A win percentage of 65.74

His finals record is almost the same as Scott's, eight games, for three wins, a draw and four losses..and a Flag.

To put the Scott H & A win percentage into context, he has coached 39 more games, for 39 more wins, two more losses and two fewer draws.

Scott's win percentage is only about 9% more at 74.15.

So that shows how hard it is to have such an overwhelming record like Chris Scott, that 40 more victories adds less than 10% extra to his win record over a coach like Bob Davis, who also had a lot of special talent at the club with Farmer, Wade, Goggin, Sharrock and Marshall in the team. I saw a post by Phatboy about 10 pages ago, well said. You can't do more than be in a position to be up there....and hopefully if Geelong keeps knocking on the door, we'l take the opportunity if it opens.

What do you all think about our performance against Hawthorn? We looked s**t - Dangerfield carried us on his own boot. Collapsed like a sack of potatoes in the last quarter and nearly choked out a loss if not for Smith saving us again. Where were the tactics to ice the game? Why did we fail so miserably to slow the play in the last 10 minutes? Big failures on the coaching department and team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back