Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most complaining of the top four finish want to bottom out and get draft picks for a couple of years.

I would prefer to get access to some young talent we have to be realistic with our list and where we are at. In the dreaded 3-6 zone with not a lot of improvement to keep running against the Gws Sydney or the dogs. if we regenerate through free agency consistently you fall in a hole when selwood and hawkins early 30s. First round picks are gold pat cripps was i mid late first round (14) and when you get the picks right which wells does often it can be the difference in your club. Now we are taking zach 2e instead of a draft pick

At the end of the day, Chris Scott inherited a Mercedez Benz at the end of 2010 and he had to tweak it. He basically inherited all of Bomber Thompson's hard work. After 2012, he has dismantled Bomber's good work and flushed all of Bomber's good work in developing and promoting youngsters; giving them a chance and teaching them the importance of winning CONTESTED ball and making good decisions during a game down the toilet.

If Scott inherited a Mercedez Benz than Thompson is a really poor coach , this is what Scott inherited from Thompson

Summed up beautifully and McCartney is an interesting mention. In 2011 which Scott is living off we had McCartney and Sanderson and Balme (plus of course players). So the decision to rest players would have been a decision combination of all of those and probably Scott as the new kid possibly played a minor role.
Mention of Wheadon also interesting as he came down in I think 2006/7 to assist, and did.
Everything since 2011 has seemed like accidental, due to good players, with little due to Scotts strategy and tactics and almost nothing due to assistant coaches. With the exception of the VFL premiership in 2012 or 13, with Knight at the helm, nothing to show.
2017 will be the test of Scott and co and with no new assistants-aqree throw money at somebody- I feel pessimistic

Funny how we started to decline when we lost Ottens,Ling,Milburn,Mooney and Ablett 12 months earlier plus Scarlett,Bartel,Chapman and Cory all declined due to age . What a coincidence .

No other club has lost as many experienced talented players as we have and done any better .

Its just a reality that after a club has a really successful period they go on struggle , we have done very well .

It's a tough spot for a senior coach to be in though, unless you expect them to start saying things like "Clark will be given 12 more months otherwise he'll be delisted" during tv interviews? That might be the way it goes internally but everyone knows every AFL club official and player that speaks to the media is pacified and given canned responses.
how about when a coach is asked about a player and his long term future, an appropriate response could be something like this "as long as he keeps on working on the things we are ask of him, he will always be in the mix on a regular basis". That is not too difficult is it? It is no different to this bulls*it we hear from Chris Scott saying he has no doubt the team will be playing it's best football when it matters most. The spin doctor just needs to shut up all together and start molding the team into a tough one again instead of a uncontested show-pony-front-running has-been still gettng by on past exploits (the Thompson era).

Well to use a Rumsfeldism there are known knowns and known unknowns - Scott not getting us a flag IMO is a known known, our next coach getting us a flag is a known unknown. I'd rather not be certain of success with the possibility of it under a new coach than the tiresome certainty we won't be there with Scott again.

Do you know what I know?

That posters like you and BiggyBoy are complete dickheads!

You have never given Chris Scott a chance, not even from day one. Of course you think Chris Scott has failed, because you will never admit it if he had succeeded.

If Scott coached Geelong to ten flags in a row, you and BiggyBoy would still want him sacked. You hate the man's guts, for God knows what reason, and you will never admit that he has made some good decisions.

Go on, I challenge you. Name me one thing that you give Chris Scott credit for (and no smarmy, backhanded compliments). I mean a decision that you actually agreed with him doing.

What, you can't. Didn't think so, because even if you did, you would never admit it. Since you know everything about coaching Geelong, don't you?

You call yourself "BlightyCats". What, you want Malcolm Blight to still be coach? That time is past. I was a fan of Blight, but he failed us in three Grand Finals. Chris Scott has "won" a flag for us.

Would you prefer Bomber to still be there? Well, guess what. Bomber didn't want us anymore. It isn't like the club sacked him. He CHOSE to leave. If you want to blame someone for us having Scott as coach, then blame Bomber, since if he hadn't left, the coaching job wouldn't be there for Scott to take over.

Besides, you bag some of the youngsters who didn't go onto anything under Scott. What about Bomber, who saw something in spuds like Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair and Mark Blake? Wasn't David Loats recruited under Bomber's watch as well?

No, Bomber preferred to leave us to be Hird's bum sniffer at the Injectors, and it all turned to dust. The kharma bus couldn't hit Bomber hard enough.

What, you want Ken "One-Trick Pony" Hinkley? A guy who promised so much and delivered so little, and became the Port Adelaide players' bitch in the process.

Any moaning you make about how Scott has let us down falls on deaf ears to me, because you and BiggyBoy complain about him, no matter what.

What you should want, is for Chris Scott to prove you wrong, and coach us to more flags, because any coach taking us to flags is a good thing, rather than wanting Scott to fail, and someone replace him. But then, you refuse to even credit him with the 2011 flag.

So why don't you and BiggyBoy save yourself the frustration, show your true colors, and go join another club instead? No true Geelong supporter would want a coach to fail, because then that means that the team and the players fail as well. I hated Gary Ayres, but I still would have rather have had him win me over by coaching us to a flag in 1995, than have him fail and get sacked. True supporters want success, not hope for failure so that a coach they don't like will get sacked.

So why don't you and BiggyBoy save yourself the frustration, show your true colors, and go join another club instead. No true Geelong supporter would want a coach to fail, because then that means that the team and the players fail as well. I hated Gary Ayres, but I still would have rather have him win me over by coaching us to a flag in 1995, than have him fail and get sacked. True supporters want success, not hope for failure so that a coach they don't like will get sacked.

Can you point me to where I said I wanted the coach to fail?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wondered if it was him but he is just a development coach isn't he?

Maybe Lappin goes back into an assistant coach role and Boris into his role?

Nah Boris is replacing Paul Hood, but I haven't heard anything to do with Caracella's replacement. Maybe we're planning to just go with what we've got but that would seem strange to me. Is it common place for assistants to be appointed in November though?

Nah Boris is replacing Paul Hood, but I haven't heard anything to do with Caracella's replacement. Maybe we're planning to just go with what we've got but that would seem strange to me. Is it common place for assistants to be appointed in November though?

O'Bree was appointed in November. Make of that what you will.

Why don't you tell us what you really think GTOA? Torn between smarmy backhanders and bum sniffers and the injectors for best line. Well done. Keep it up.

Here's a stat. Chris Scott is Geelong's equal 3rd most successful coach ever, behind Reg Hickey and Bomber Thompson.
With more finals losses than wins... Staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back