Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOTC did say that 'it's not like he's lost the entire playing group, or anything that dramatic.........'

And, with all respect to YOTC, it's a rumbling that is yet to be verified.

It makes a lot of sense that players would be unhappy with him.

Whether he's lost the entire playing group or not, it generally doesn't bode well when you get factions forming and dissent growing. The lack of cohesion starts manifesting itself on the field and the coach inevitably gets sacked. I have little doubt that renewing his contract at this point would be a mistake. There could be a lot of players heading for the doors at the end of next year if he remains at the helm.

Whether he's lost the entire playing group or not, it generally doesn't bode well when you get factions forming and dissent growing. The lack of cohesion starts manifesting itself on the field and the coach inevitably gets sacked. I have little doubt that renewing his contract at this point would be a mistake. There could be a lot of players heading for the doors at the end of next year if he remains at the helm.

True, but again, whether this is a 'fact' at the GFC is yet to be verified.

well we've got the extreme pessimists pov covered... Now for the opposite.
Get in here geelong_crazy26 ;)

He doesn't need to communicate with the players, though. That's the assistant coaches' job.

YOTC said he understood the player's gripe to be a lack of direct communication - which implies they're objecting to 'indirect' communication.......

Or, at worst, a lack of communication that is to the point - ie 'direct'

But I suspect he meant the former.

Bartel is pissed with the way his exit was handled and his mates at the club aren't overly enamoured these days with Scott. He's distant and resistant to suggestion.

Article? Source?? If not then "thank you come again". You shall Join the blighty cats "Paul chapmans book said this but I don't know which page" club.

The only source of anything I have seen is the CEO of the football club coming out and saying he can't wait to re sign the senior coach. Must be a lot of tension for sure down there building.

Poor old Clarkson must be about to witness the greatest ever riot then... He just traded out Sam Mitchell and their vice captain got so pissed off and offended that he walked out to another club.

Article? Source?? If not then "thank you come again". You shall Join the blighty cats "Paul chapmans book said this but I don't know which page" club.

The only source of anything I have seen is the CEO of the football club coming out and saying he can't wait to re sign the senior coach. Must be a lot of tension for sure down there building.

Poor old Clarkson must be about to witness the greatest ever riot then... He just traded out Sam Mitchell and their vice captain got so pissed off and offended that he walked out to another club.

Article?! Yeh, I just googled it. I assume you're taking the piss? Source? As if I'd reveal that on a public forum.

Well if this is happening lets hope like s**t it doesn't follow the path of the 3 coaches this year who were signed onto extensions and all bombed.

Article?! Yeh, I just googled it. I assume you're taking the piss? Source? As if I'd reveal that on a public forum.
It's actually quite unflattering to our admin for you to suggest they would proceed with a contract extension in the circumstances you are putting in this thread. Either they are aware of and are ignoring what you are suggesting or are oblivious to it. Either way it's uncomplimentary.

It's not uncommon for there to be a malcontent or two in football clubs for all sorts of reasons. But to suggest that a well run club would proceed with the extension of a key contract in the circumstances you are putting in this thread defies credulity. I don't buy it.

Sounds more like you're describing this board rather than our Club
On topic we've had a fair clean out , that brings new opportunity and a chance to improve on 2106

But Scott is a super coach and everyone loves him.
And you gave that reply a like.
Any bit of negative remark about CS and you jump on.
Did you expect Bartel and SJ and Chappy to jump for joy to be told the club is progressing without their services?
These tough decisions had to be made, and always Geelong is the forerunner- now we see Clarko following suit. And Brad Scott at NM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually quite unflattering to our admin for you to suggest they would proceed with a contract extension in the circumstances you are putting in this thread. Either they are aware of and are ignoring what you are suggesting or are oblivious to it. Either way it's uncomplimentary.

It's not uncommon for there to be a malcontent or two in football clubs for all sorts of reasons. But to suggest that a well run club would proceed with the extension of a key contract in the circumstances you are putting in this thread defies credulity. I don't buy it.

YOTC is a good poster not prone to this type of rumor...but that being said I'm with Ammo's last paragraph. If there was such a level of discontent within the playing group, I doubt the club would be rushing into a re-signing and confirming it publicly.

So for what its worth, I don't buy into it either.

The sense of entitlement that underscores this thread is almost embarrassing. Some posters suggesting we "go down with the ship" when we finish last year deep into finals ...3rd in an 18 team competition after 3 Premierships in the last 9 seasons.......we are building and near the completion of a state of the art stadium....and have record membership numbers....:thumbsu:

We haven't won a Premiership for a whole 5 years though...so according to some the club is on the way out. :rolleyes:

This thread reeks of the self entitlement I alluded to earlier and that we are often accused of by posters from other clubs......other clubs who can only dream of the success this club has enjoyed over the recent past.

Last edited:

I'd suspect it's the rule far more than the exception.

Because you don't have any source.

There has been more than one poster on here that has been 100% correct with their mail and not revealed their source.

I would not rule it out just because its not revealed - be skeptical sure - dont believe it - but dont say there isnt one just because its not revealed.

Go Catters

You wonder why you would bother sharing information sometimes. I would have hoped that my posting history over 10 years would reveal that I don't make up rubbish to seek attention.

I actually find it quite pathetic that some posters can't accept that there may be a few issues down at KP, rather than attack me for creating a fabricated story. I stand by what I have said. My source is also reliable and certainly not prone to exaggeration. If the likes of GC26 think I'm making it up then they can GAGF.

You wonder why you would bother sharing information sometimes. I would have hoped that my posting history over 10 years would reveal that I don't make up rubbish to seek attention.

I actually find it quite pathetic that some posters can't accept that there may be a few issues down at KP, rather than attack me for creating a fabricated story. I stand by what I have said. My source is also reliable and certainly not prone to exaggeration. If the likes of GC26 think I'm making it up then they can GAGF.
Some like Gero and crazy just can't accept that the club isn't perfect.

The club is in free fall and things won't improve until the hard call to sack Scott is made.

Some like Gero and crazy just can't accept that the club isn't perfect.

The club is in free fall and things won't improve until the hard call to sack Scott is made.
Nonsense Nakia. This club makes mistakes, we're not some special entity that's completely faultless.
Club in free fall :tearsofjoy:

Agreed - I'm inclined to believe you when you say you've heard there are rumblings at the club.

How wide and deep these are running through the club remains to be seen however. I'd like to believe that Cook & Co would be too smart to re-sign Scott if there was any validity or substance to the discontent though.

Agreed - I'm inclined to believe you when you say you've heard there are rumblings at the club.

How wide and deep these are running through the club remains to be seen however. I'd like to believe that Cook & Co would be too smart to re-sign Scott if there was any validity or substance to the discontent though.

I'm not even suggesting that the issues aren't fixable. But apparently there are concerns from a number of people within the club that Scott has a rigidity that is concerning. Perhaps it's time for a review of the footy department so that any dirty linen can be aired and something done about it. I'm sure a host of other issues may also arise not both relating and not relating to Scott that can only improve the club's performance.

With regard to his re-signing I don't have a major issue if Cook is aware of any problems and feels that it can be easily resolved. But, I tend to think that there may be more issues than purely communication with regard to Scott. I'm just not sure he is the A-grade coach that can take us to our next flag.

YOTC is a good poster not prone to this type of rumor...but that being said I'm with Ammo's last paragraph. If there was such a level of discontent within the playing group, I doubt the club would be rushing into a re-signing and confirming it publicly.

The sense of entitlement that underscores this thread is almost embarrassing. Some posters suggesting we "go down with the ship" when we finish last year deep into finals ...3rd in an 18 team competition after 3 Premierships in the last 9 seasons.......we are building and near the completion of a state of the art stadium....and have record membership numbers....:thumbsu:

We haven't won a Premiership for a whole 5 years though...so according to some the club is on the way out. :rolleyes:

This thread reeks of the self entitlement I alluded to earlier and that we are often accused of by posters from other clubs......other clubs who can only dream of the success this club has enjoyed over the recent past.

Don't venture into these murky waters too often but this post deserves recognition.
Sheesh GFC is not perfect Doh!
I'm surprised we resigned CS before the season but hey I'm not about to sulk about it or hope we crash.
Overall I think we are a fair bit off the best sides and I think that has to do with overall player resilience, I don't think its an ability thing.

As I have note numerous times before its quite sad the vultures that sit on the sidelines waiting to pounce on and run with anything remotely negative. All respect to YOTC as i really like his work, but to expect all clubs; even the best have all 42 players happy and content is a pipe dream. its more about how the club deals with the issues at hand.

And now after what really was a very disappointing and meek ending of 2016 everybody from the CEO down needs to be sacked.

Funny really the lack of resilience of too many players is mirrored on this board
thanks DTC for a well balanced post as usual.

Last edited:
Bartel is pissed with the way his exit was handled and his mates at the club aren't overly enamoured these days with Scott. He's distant and resistant to suggestion.
I've heard it too, also was lambasted by some as making it up. Even gave the quote of the ex-player about Scott being terrible with communication losing players etc. We have to understand Cook has never sacked a head coach, so he literally wouldn't know how to, especially someone he's obviously obsessed with like Scott - there's a real little clique down there these days that refuses to hold certain people accountable while preaching accountability to the wider club.

I doubt the club would be rushing into a re-signing and confirming it publicly.
Why? If the admin are still smitten with him why wouldn't they? I'm telling you my source is completely reliable and I'm completely confident YOTC's is too, as it sounds eerily similar to what I've heard. That's why I'm fully confident should we have a disappointing 2017 there will be seismic repercussions at the club.

I have to pull you up here David. It's not almost embarrassing, it is embarrassing. The only saving grace is that it's more embarrassing for the people that are peddling their meaningless agendas rather than anyone else.

I'm with you in that I don't believe for a second that YOTC has made something up out of thin air but I too also believe that there is no substance to any such rumours.

If Jimmy does infact have "allies" within the club, whatever that is meant to mean then Corey Enright certainly isn't one of them considering that he has just taken up a job to work underneath Scott as a development coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back