Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually quite unflattering to our admin for you to suggest they would proceed with a contract extension in the circumstances you are putting in this thread. Either they are aware of and are ignoring what you are suggesting or are oblivious to it. Either way it's uncomplimentary.

It's not uncommon for there to be a malcontent or two in football clubs for all sorts of reasons. But to suggest that a well run club would proceed with the extension of a key contract in the circumstances you are putting in this thread defies credulity. I don't buy it.

I didn't even mention the contract extension at all in my post. Can you point out where I did?

They don't fear change, they're terrified of criticising Scott, or even worse, not having faith in the club.

You've got to show you care more!
The amount of words being put in other people's mouths, both sides of the argument! Thankfully we have experts who can tell other people what they really think, so long as it paints them as naive dimwits.

t's actually quite unflattering to our admin for you to suggest they would proceed with a contract extension in the circumstances you are putting in this thread. Either they are aware of and are ignoring what you are suggesting or are oblivious to it. Either way it's uncomplimentary.
Why is it so hard to believe that ego's could come before the club? If we didn't renew Scott's contract that would be an admission of failure by Cook and our board in their minds because after all it would mean they had to admit they had picked the wrong coach to take us forward. I'm telling you Cook will never be CEO of Geelong without Scott at the helm he's just too interconnected with the guy now and will refuse to admit he chose poorly back in 2014 when renewing his contract.

Why? If the admin are still smitten with him why wouldn't they? I'm telling you my source is completely reliable and I'm completely confident YOTC's is too, as it sounds eerily similar to what I've heard. That's why I'm fully confident should we have a disappointing 2017 there will be seismic repercussions at the club.
I don't think too many on this board with argue against this. If 2017 is "disappointing" then change should follow. Question is, what is disappointment? IMO a premiership is unrealistic

Maybe I am missing the point, but what exactly is Jimmy's supposed grievance? Was he pushed? Was he simply told you can have a one year contract but don't bank on automatic senior selection? Did the club lie to him?

There has been more than one poster on here that has been 100% correct with their mail and not revealed their source.

I would not rule it out just because its not revealed - be skeptical sure - dont believe it - but dont say there isnt one just because its not revealed.

Go Catters

Agreed. I am good family friends with someone working at the club with the players, so I quite often hear a lot and prefer to keep most of it to myself and off the boards due out of respect and the wish to keep it away from public. At the same time if I post on here and people want to take it with a grain of salt without evidence, then who am I to push otherwise? Without evidence it's just speculation from a Internet forum poster. Nothing more nothing less. Definitely don't take what yotc is saying with anything more than a grain of salt, as this is definitely something I would have heard about personally.

Maybe I am missing the point, but what exactly is Jimmy's supposed grievance? Was he pushed? Was he simply told you can have a one year contract but don't bank on automatic senior selection? Did the club lie to him?

A football player at the end of his era who wishes to continue on but the club doesn't think he has any value anymore, this is as common as a plain donut and people need to get over exaggerating it. The funny thing is everyone here has been complaining of bartels influence all season and not wanting him to play on. Scott handles the situation brilliantly. He held early conversations with Bartel and let him know exactly where he was at and was transparent about where he stood.

Do people honestly think that most football players just get to play on until whenever they feel like and ride off into the sunset on their terms?? There are very few who get to do this, football is a tough business. Every senior coach and operations staff operate in this fashion, it is a cutthroat business where it's impossible to please everyone. If you want a Teletubbies hugathon or somewhere that's affection everyday, then your looking on the wrong place. AFL is a cutthroat environment, and Scott and co have handled it beautifully

A football player at the end of his era who wishes to continue on but the club doesn't think he has any value anymore, this is as common as a plain donut and people need to get over exaggerating it. The funny thing is everyone here has been complaining of bartels influence all season and not wanting him to play on. Scott handles the situation brilliantly. He held early conversations with Bartel and let him know exactly where he was at and was transparent about where he stood.

Do people honestly think that most football players just get to play on until whenever they feel like and ride off into the sunset on their terms?? There are very few who get to do this, football is a tough business. Every senior coach and operations staff operate in this fashion, it is a cutthroat business where it's impossible to please everyone. If you want a Teletubbies hugathon or somewhere that's affection everyday, then your looking on the wrong place. AFL is a cutthroat environment, and Scott and co have handled it beautifully
Agree 100%. Anyone using the retirement of Bartel as 'proof' that Chris Scott has lost the support of his players is fooling himself or herself.

Why is it so hard to believe that ego's could come before the club? If we didn't renew Scott's contract that would be an admission of failure by Cook and our board in their minds because after all it would mean they had to admit they had picked the wrong coach to take us forward. I'm telling you Cook will never be CEO of Geelong without Scott at the helm he's just too interconnected with the guy now and will refuse to admit he chose poorly back in 2014 when renewing his contract.

Cook has a reputation of being one of the best CEO's in the AFL because he is the best at what he does, if the slightest hint of the fictiscious speculative scenarios your trying to place forward where for some reason to be true, do you think his name would have been mentioned as one of the only CEO's to be a possible runner for the AFL CEO job? Reputations speak accuracy and truth to a persons level of competence at their job, and cooks is Elitus.

It would be a failure of cook and the board to re appoint someone who is underperforming l, not a failure to fire him.

Your making the assumption that everyone is as bigoted and egotistically emotional as you are. Cook and the club are many levels of professionalism above that naieve child like mentality.

Agreed. I am good family friends with someone working at the club with the players, so I quite often hear a lot and prefer to keep most of it to myself and off the boards due out of respect and the wish to keep it away from public. At the same time if I post on here and people want to take it with a grain of salt without evidence, then who am I to push otherwise? Without evidence it's just speculation from a Internet forum poster. Nothing more nothing less. Definitely don't take what yotc is saying with anything more than a grain of salt, as this is definitely something I would have heard about personally.

It appears not.

Agree 100%. Anyone using the retirement of Bartel as 'proof' that Chris Scott has lost the support of his players is fooling himself or herself.
I mean just think about it and common sense prevails. When a non productive worker wants to continue on his career whatever it may be and its in the companies best interest to move on or fire that person, it's never going to end in complete harmony without some bitterness or unpleasantry associated. It's a tough call. It's not a friendship thing, it's a tough business call. It's very common at AFL at every club, not just Scott and Geelong having this.

It's part of the business cycle of AFL. We shouldn't even be bringing it up like its some abnormality, it's a standard thing that happens year after year, and I am sure this isn't the first or last time Scott will do it. The coach who can't make those tough calls is the one who isn't right for the job and is too soft.

It appears not.
No issues you can believe what you choose to. I know there isn't going to be proof to back up your claim of any sort in the future. I'm sure Father Time will prove your claims to be horse manure. There will be no articles, no players speaking out, no nothing. Only lowering your own reputation in the long run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of posters on this board I take with a grain of salt.

But I'll happily throw my support (for what it is worth) behind year of the cat's reputation for not making s**t up.

Plenty of posters on this board I take with a grain of salt.

But I'll happily throw my support (for what it is worth) behind year of the cat's reputation for not making s**t up.
I'd second this.

Problem with this board in it's particular state of cannibalism is that people share anything and get shot down for it.

Damned if you do damned if you don't... I've passed on info I've heard before that hasn't ended up happening and some people never let you forget it (despite me always having the disclaimer that it is 2nd hand info and may not be true)

It makes you not bother sharing anything purely for dealing with the reactions

Your making the assumption that everyone is as bigoted and egotistically emotional as you are. Cook and the club are many levels of professionalism above that naieve child like mentality.
I'm actually not emotional or bigoted about it (unlike your defence of Scott which utterly reeks of emotion) at all, rather I use cold hard evidence; our poor finals record in the last five years, the constant reoccurring themes of poor performances post bye, over reliance on and over use of Hawkins bombing it on his head, our average MCG record under Scott - and now the poor communication and players disconnected from him which I've heard, and YOTC has heard. And there are other reoccurring problems like our inability to stop oppositions getting damaging run on's of successive goals against us in a small amount of time, the list goes on...

I'd second this.

Problem with this board in it's particular state of cannibalism is that people share anything and get shot down for it.

Damned if you do damned if you don't... I've passed on info I've heard before that hasn't ended up happening and some people never let you forget it (despite me always having the disclaimer that it is 2nd hand info and may not be true)

It makes you not bother sharing anything purely for dealing with the reactions

Absolutely Willo. I receive a fair bit of information about a variety of clubs, not just the Cats, and rarely pass it on as I consider it beyond the boundaries of appropriateness. This was just one bit of information I received a few days ago that was directly relevant to this thread, not overly controversial I wouldn't have thought, hence the reason I mentioned it. I'll think twice next time.

Absolutely Willo. I receive a fair bit of information about a variety of clubs, not just the Cats, and rarely pass it on as I consider it beyond the boundaries of appropriateness. This was just one bit of information I received a few days ago that was directly relevant to this thread, not overly controversial I wouldn't have thought, hence the reason I mentioned it. I'll think twice next time.

Understand your reservation YOTC - once bitten twice shy etc - but don't let them get you down mate.

Don't let the tyranny of a few ruin the pleasure of many. These types of insights are one of the best things about BigFooty for me (and I don't just mean because it's an insight somewhat critical of Chris Scott) because they give information you're just not going to get anywhere else in mainstream media or the joke of a propaganda tool called the GFC website, Krock, or the Geelong Addy - all of which pander shamelessly to the club line.

I don't think too many on this board with argue against this. If 2017 is "disappointing" then change should follow. Question is, what is disappointment? IMO a premiership is unrealistic
Our list is pretty talented and has been for a number of years. A few younger players (23, 24, 25) simply can't become anything more than handy types. If we had a coach that was good at developing such players, our list would be fully capable of challenging for a premiership. You only have to look at this past season to see what our future will bee under Chris Scott. He couldn't have had it set up any better. We got to play finalists who were banged up with injuries and exhausted. He still failed to get this team up when it mattered most. How many of you laughed at the suggestions the Western Bulldogs were genuine contenders after we just beat them mid year? Virtually everyone on this board but just look at what a damn good coach was able to achieve with a list not too different to our very own.

2017 isnt the worry. Its 2019
I think you are going be surprised. We just tried to piss off Motlop but no one wanted him. You really think he's going to turn around his inconsistency on that basis? He will be counting the days till his contract is up. We had a very charmed run with injuries in 2016, you think this keeps on rolling on because I certainly don't. We now have one key forward in Hawkins, (Black is a smaller body than Kersten for crying out loud), if Hawkins happens to get injured, do we roll the dice with Henderson as the back up and hope to god Lonergan can put in just one more season of elite-esque footy? You then factor in the decline of Mackie and the retirement of Enright. We are a worse football team right away come round one next year. In fact, I would not be surprised if teams like Collingwood and Richmond surpass us in 2017. We are in for some bleak years ahead unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back