Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotts inability to enforce discipline and team work ethic have seemingly lead to a general apathy that has permeated among the players. Rather than challenging them to be better he has instead allowed poor performance after poor performance to be rewarded with more senior games. This can only really lead the players to believe that they are safe. Even though the players underneath them do well at VFL level, Scott never makes the move to punish lazy, arrogant players on the list. If he cant do it then someone else must be brought in.
If you want to see what it looks like to get the most out of your list just have a look at what Beveridge is doing with Footscray.

Beveridge dropped Stringer for a few average games.

Motlop has just cruised through games being selfish and Scott doesnt send a message and wonder why half our team are soft.

He just seems to play the best 22 players regardless of structure or discipline, i can imagine him with a ranking list, shuffling the bottom names around.

It's clear the thing we lack is a coach that can extract the most out of the players on the list. I dont for a second think we dont have the talent to go all the way. What we need is a coach who is prepared to make tough calls on players during the year for the betterment of the team. Tactics and structures can be improved by anyone, but if Scott cant find a way to extract every ounce of effort from the mid tier players who should be taking the step up to elite by now but arent, then we must look elsewhere. Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Kolo, Motlop (if he stays), and Murdoch have all shown the potential to be great footballers consistently, but have instead stagnated or regressed under Scotts tenure as coach. I could have named a few more but didnt as injuries have played a part in their problems.

Scotts inability to enforce discipline and team work ethic have seemingly lead to a general apathy that has permeated among the players. Rather than challenging them to be better he has instead allowed poor performance after poor performance to be rewarded with more senior games. This can only really lead the players to believe that they are safe. Even though the players underneath them do well at VFL level, Scott never makes the move to punish lazy, arrogant players on the list. If he cant do it then someone else must be brought in.

If you want to see what it looks like to get the most out of your list just have a look at what Beveridge is doing with Footscray.
When has Murdoch shown the potential to be a great player? Kolo-he will make a solid defender. Caddy a solid mid. Guthrie-very good most weeks. Motlop, disappointing too often. Duncan-hasn't been the same since Mumford tried to kill him. Who in the team is lazy and arrogant? We are all disappointed but a little perspective? The Doggies are great but its comparing apples and oranges isn't it.

Last edited:

Beveridge dropped Stringer for a few average games.

Motlop has just cruised through games being selfish and Scott doesnt send a message and wonder why half our team are soft.

He just seems to play the best 22 players regardless of structure or discipline, i can imagine him with a ranking list, shuffling the bottom names around.

I'd reword it slightly. He plays what he imagines is his best 22, irrespective of form, structure, or actual performance.

I guess his excuse could be that he would say they are still learning to play together. Next season that won't cut, so we may get a better idea of how he will deal with his 'under performers' .
Incidentally, watching other PF and how GWS and dogs worked their way out of congestion with bullet handballs and quick hands made me think about our loopy lame 'hospital' handballs. May be another area to work on?

I guess his excuse could be that he would say they are still learning to play together. Next season that won't cut, so we may get a better idea of how he will deal with his 'under performers' .
Incidentally, watching other PF and how GWS and dogs worked their way out of congestion with bullet handballs and quick hands made me think about our loopy lame 'hospital' handballs. May be another area to work on?

Watching the games, that's been the one thing I've noticed that the Dogs and Sydney in particular do have, and we just don't.

Watching the games, that's been the one thing I've noticed that the Dogs and Sydney in particular do have, and we just don't.

Our ability to float balls around has been a bug bear for me all year.
Seeing the short, flat, hard delivery made it burn all the more last night.

IMO, its endavour related. And by that I mean when the Dogs get the pill its move it on and forward at all costs. Thus the endavour is fast ball movement. Get it going.
Ours is more tempo related - hold it. We do that well. The issue is players are now SO adept in moving and anticipating things waiting for the ball to land means at the least a contest, or worse, turnover.

GO Catters

The QF win over Hawthorn a couple of weeks ago was probably my favourite win since the 2011 GF, but the simple fact still remains that this current side continues to struggle in finals. In hindsight, that win wasn't really as 'special' as many of us thought it was. Going into the game most were expecting Geelong to win comfortably, so simply falling over the line with a missed shot after the siren was, once again in hindsight, quite poor, especially considering the Hawks then went on the next week to get absolutely spanked by the Bulldogs at the MCG in a knockout final. And of course, two weeks after, we went on to get absolutely spanked by the Swans at the MCG.

I'm not saying it's simply the coaches fault, or it's simply the players' fault, but it can't be denied any longer that the Club has had, and still has an issue since 2011 when it comes to performing in finals. If that doesn't change we're going to continue to be that team who regularly finishes in the top part of the ladder, only to be brushed aside come September when we fail to perform at our best when we really need to.

I'd reword it slightly. He plays what he imagines is his best 22, irrespective of form, structure, or actual performance.
Totally agree. Not dropping Motlop in the season and tried to defend him was a joke. Clearly Scott's too lazy and just picks the same players week in week out or he's not competent. When will we see he makes a big call on these mediocre players? I hope he won't be telling Bartel, Enright and Lonner to go packing like last year to Stevie J and co when clearly they can still play...does he have any idea?!!

The QF win over Hawthorn a couple of weeks ago was probably my favourite win since the 2011 GF, but the simple fact still remains that this current side continues to struggle in finals. In hindsight, that win wasn't really as 'special' as many of us thought it was. Going into the game most were expecting Geelong to win comfortably, so simply falling over the line with a missed shot after the siren was, once again in hindsight, quite poor, especially considering the Hawks then went on the next week to get absolutely spanked by the Bulldogs at the MCG in a knockout final. And of course, two weeks after, we went on to get absolutely spanked by the Swans at the MCG.

I'm not saying it's simply the coaches fault, or it's simply the players' fault, but it can't be denied any longer that the Club has had, and still has an issue since 2011 when it comes to performing in finals. If that doesn't change we're going to continue to be that team who regularly finishes in the top part of the ladder, only to be brushed aside come September when we fail to perform at our best when we really need to.

I just noticed your Nick. Shouldn't you be using the word 'unbelievable' in every second sentence?...:p

Looks like the coach only really gave the rocket/pressure on one of the only (from 3) players that don't require the motivation. Jimmy! He really failed to get the players up for the match and it happened all year

watching today's footy shows, they are finally starting to question the coaching staff and are also pretty savage toward our next batch of players. Blicavs, Caddy, Motlop, Guthrie, Duncan . . . these guys are 25 and are no different to the players they were are 21. Blicavs has made inroads, that putrid talk about him being an All Australian in the not too distant future needs to be highlighted. Idiots on here suggested it but he will never be anything more than a serviceable handyman. He may become the equal of a Westhoff (I doubt it) but he has no footy smarts at all. He looks like a track athlete who decided to give footy a go. Not a young star with considerable potential about to bring the most out of himself. As has been said before, this coach won't last next year (bad luck geelong_crazy26) the flog got handed the greatest list of all time and he has since been made out to be a hero because of that one premiership. Once Scarlett, Ling, Chapman, Ottens, Podsiadly, Mooney, Enright, Wojak, Corey all moved on, he's gone to make Geelong what they were in the 70's and early 80's, handbaggers!

The posts in this thread have now run the full gamut of stupidity:

unintelligent, thick, dumb, simple, slow, dull, dim, dense, sluggish,deficient, crass, gullible, simple-minded, dozy, witless, dopey, moronic, obtuse, brainless, cretinous, half-witted, slow on the uptake, braindead, dumb-ass, doltish,dead from the neck up, thickheaded, slow-witted, thick as mince, wooden-headed, silly, foolish, daft, trivial, ludicrous, meaningless, irresponsible, pointless, futile, senseless, mindless, laughable, short-sighted, ill-advised, idiotic, fatuous, nonsensical,crackpot, half-baked, inane, crackpot, unthinking, puerile, unintelligent, asinine, imbecilic, senseless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Scott's own words, 2016 was a good season with a disappointing finish, going from 10th to making a prelim final. In isolation that's great, but we've had countless 'good seasons with disappointing finishes' in the past few years. What a few here are starting to see is that from 2012-2016, we keep seeing the same issues surface time and time again, and one of those is poor performance in finals. It's the way we have lost in finals recently that is really starting to irk a few supporters, watching us go down without a whimper, falling into the same mistakes against the same opposition time and time again.

. As has been said before, this coach won't last next year (bad luck geelong_crazy26) the flog got handed the greatest list of all time and he has since been made out to be a hero because of that one premiership. Once Scarlett, Ling, Chapman, Ottens, Podsiadly, Mooney, Enright, Wojak, Corey all moved on, he's gone to make Geelong what they were in the 70's and early 80's, handbaggers!

There is one fatal flaw in your arguement- the 2010 Preliminary Final

Tell me in the 3rd quarter - Geelong were 83 points down - totally humiliated - whose fault was it and why did it happen ?

And that greatest ever list was minus a champion player in Ablett

IMO, its endavour related. And by that I mean when the Dogs get the pill its move it on and forward at all costs. Thus the endavour is fast ball movement. Get it going.
Ours is more tempo related - hold it. We do that well. The issue is players are now SO adept in moving and anticipating things waiting for the ball to land means at the least a contest, or worse, turnover.

GO Catters
The "hold it" tempo has a few of our players thinking too much. How many players can you think of in our team that have got to the stage of near complete indecision when they get the ball; that weren't like that last season? For mine, the absolute worst is Blicavs. But overall, using a strategy that removes the risk makes for indecision and too much thinking.

The other side of the coin is that when the game opens up for us, very few of our players are in that emotional/mental zone. It's like they freak out when we get out the back and make the most basic of mistakes. Players running down and kicking it nowhere. Receiving players clueless where to run. Fumble, fumble, out of bounds.

Got me wondering if there was a bit of tension between SJ and the coaching staff last year over this. He would hate it.

The posts in this thread have now run the full gamut of stupidity:

unintelligent, thick, dumb, simple, slow, dull, dim, dense, sluggish,deficient, crass, gullible, simple-minded, dozy, witless, dopey, moronic, obtuse, brainless, cretinous, half-witted, slow on the uptake, braindead, dumb-ass, doltish,dead from the neck up, thickheaded, slow-witted, thick as mince, wooden-headed, silly, foolish, daft, trivial, ludicrous, meaningless, irresponsible, pointless, futile, senseless, mindless, laughable, short-sighted, ill-advised, idiotic, fatuous, nonsensical,crackpot, half-baked, inane, crackpot, unthinking, puerile, unintelligent, asinine, imbecilic, senseless.
And that's just mine. The others are worse.

GWS in the first half were lucky to be as close as they were to the Bulldogs, and they looked out of sorts with some stars having a shocker. They rallied ok in the second half, but GWS were nowhere near the form shown in their last outing against the Swans.

As I predicted. I could have been wrong. But I thought the huge break would really hurt our side. And because GWS was flat, I think that backs it up.

So, let's not conclude too much into our prelim performance. I thought we were a rough chance this year with some luck. And we came into the finals with as good a form as any team. But in the back of my mind I always thought the breaks would hurt our team worst because of our crap history in games like that. We didn't quite get going against Hawthorn, and we fell in a hole against the Swans. Looking back, that makes sense.

So, you predicted 3 flags over the next 5 years, one year is now done and dusted and we had the best fixture we will ever see again, not to mention a very generous run with injuries. Tell us all crazy, Geelong must win the flag next year right? Surely Scott gets it done in his final year as coach? What excuses do you make for the 7 goals to 0 opening term by the way :D

I predicted before the start of the year we would make the top 4 this year and the most likely scenario was a prelim exit . I was 100% correct .

You predicted before the start of the year we wouldn't make the top 4 so can you please just admit I know more about Football than you ?

Brian Cook has already said Scott is getting a contact extension and why wouldn't he ? this year was a success . Once again you are wrong Bobby.

watching today's footy shows, they are finally starting to question the coaching staff and are also pretty savage toward our next batch of players. Blicavs, Caddy, Motlop, Guthrie, Duncan . . . these guys are 25 and are no different to the players they were are 21. Blicavs has made inroads, that putrid talk about him being an All Australian in the not too distant future needs to be highlighted. Idiots on here suggested it but he will never be anything more than a serviceable handyman. He may become the equal of a Westhoff (I doubt it) but he has no footy smarts at all. He looks like a track athlete who decided to give footy a go. Not a young star with considerable potential about to bring the most out of himself. As has been said before, this coach won't last next year (bad luck geelong_crazy26) the flog got handed the greatest list of all time and he has since been made out to be a hero because of that one premiership. Once Scarlett, Ling, Chapman, Ottens, Podsiadly, Mooney, Enright, Wojak, Corey all moved on, he's gone to make Geelong what they were in the 70's and early 80's, handbaggers!

Bobby notice how Stanley,Dangefield,Smith,Menegolla and Henderson have all played their career best football under Scott ? the only time a mature age recruit doesn't play career best football under Scott is if they have injury problems.

Notice how Scott was able to get more out of our 2011 side with less talent than Thompson was in 2010 ?

Scott is a brilliant at developing players , the fact is we have been deprived of early draft picks for so long and a number of our 1st round picks have been hit hard with injuries .Thurlow and Menzel would be certain A grade players was it not for injuries.

Even after being gifted so man talented young players it took a lot of pain and heartache for our young players under Thompson to become A grade players.

We have had a good year , I was correct and Scott is getting another contract . I am really happy.

watching today's footy shows, they are finally starting to question the coaching staff

They did not question Scott's coaching ability once . Last time you said a journalist questioned his coaching ability it was an article about us not being ruthless enough , no mention of Scott at all .

Scott is getting an extension , Cook has said so

GO Catters
Geelong deliver hard flat handballs to the feet of a motionless team mate more than anyone else in the competition. Our disposal is poor...especially under pressure

Geelong deliver hard flat handballs to the feet of a motionless team mate more than anyone else in the competition. Our disposal is poor...especially under pressure
Skill. Been talking about on here for a while. Not rocket surgery.

If a coach is all into strategies and structures, that can be neglected. So....looking at it the other way, training them up in skills can take away a coach's play-making control. Highly skilled players can make it up as they go along, SJ being an extreme example of that. Like when Bomber trained them up, and said they virtually coached themselves at times.

Skill. Been talking about on here for a while. Not rocket surgery.

If a coach is all into strategies and structures, that can be neglected. So....looking at it the other way, training them up in skills can take away a coach's play-making control. Highly skilled players can make it up as they go along, SJ being an extreme example of that. Like when Bomber trained them up, and said they virtually coached themselves at times.
Pretty sure it wasn't Bombers game plan to handball to the feet of stationary players. Under Bomber our skills were (particularly in close) the best in the competition.
They aren't now.....just a fact, and we get exposed for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back