Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty sure it wasn't Bombers game plan to handball to the feet of stationary players. Under Bomber our skills were (particularly in close) the best in the competition.
They aren't now.....just a fact, and we get exposed for it
I can't remember all this slipping over, no-one forward of centre when the ball comes out, and zero risk taking, either.

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
GWS in the first half were lucky to be as close as they were to the Bulldogs, and they looked out of sorts with some stars having a shocker. They rallied ok in the second half, but GWS were nowhere near the form shown in their last outing against the Swans.

As I predicted. I could have been wrong. But I thought the huge break would really hurt our side. And because GWS was flat, I think that backs it up.

So, let's not conclude too much into our prelim performance. I thought we were a rough chance this year with some luck. And we came into the finals with as good a form as any team. But in the back of my mind I always thought the breaks would hurt our team worst because of our crap history in games like that. We didn't quite get going against Hawthorn, and we fell in a hole against the Swans. Looking back, that makes sense.

One game in 27 days is just not enough to stay match fit......having said that, our issue wasn't physical, it was mental.....we just didn't show up.
I read somewhere during the year that we have lost 5 of the last 6 games that we've played coming off a break. I guess this makes it 6 from 7, so either the coaching staff is not paying attention to this complacency or the players aren't listening.
Either way, it's glaringly obvious to opposition teams, and they smash us accordingly, and it's driving supporters mad with its predictability

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I can't remember all this slipping over, no-one forward of centre when the ball comes out, and zero risk taking, either.
100% agreed......I have a theory on this slipping over business, it's a Form of shirking a contest.
Jordan Murdoch is the greatest exponent the game has ever seen of this. I've literally seen him fall over his own shadow.

hokee

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
How
Bobby notice how Stanley,Dangefield,Smith,Menegolla and Henderson have all played their career best football under Scott ? the only time a mature age recruit doesn't play career best football under Scott is if they have injury problems.

Notice how Scott was able to get more out of our 2011 side with less talent than Thompson was in 2010 ?

Scott is a brilliant at developing players , the fact is we have been deprived of early draft picks for so long and a number of our 1st round picks have been hit hard with injuries .Thurlow and Menzel would be certain A grade players was it not for injuries.

Even after being gifted so man talented young players it took a lot of pain and heartache for our young players under Thompson to become A grade players.

We have had a good year , I was correct and Scott is getting another contract . I am really happy.
How do you explain the losses against the Saints, Pies and Blues which almost made us dropping out of top 4 and those 1st quarter dismal performances in the season? It's all about complacency and mental toughness which Scott is unable getting this across to the current crop. A good coach must be able to get out the best from all the A, B and C grade players.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong deliver hard flat handballs to the feet of a motionless team mate more than anyone else in the competition. Our disposal is poor...especially under pressure

True. Will often handball to player in a worse , or at best , neutral position rather than take responsibility for an upfield delivery. Over possession will get exposed in the intensity of finals. We have quite a few offenders in that area.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The posts in this thread have now run the full gamut of stupidity:

unintelligent, thick, dumb, simple, slow, dull, dim, dense, sluggish,deficient, crass, gullible, simple-minded, dozy, witless, dopey, moronic, obtuse, brainless, cretinous, half-witted, slow on the uptake, braindead, dumb-ass, doltish,dead from the neck up, thickheaded, slow-witted, thick as mince, wooden-headed, silly, foolish, daft, trivial, ludicrous, meaningless, irresponsible, pointless, futile, senseless, mindless, laughable, short-sighted, ill-advised, idiotic, fatuous, nonsensical,crackpot, half-baked, inane, crackpot, unthinking, puerile, unintelligent, asinine, imbecilic, senseless.
What's you opinion on Chris Scott's coaching? Will he take us to the next level?
Extend contract now?
Wait till 2017?

Just leaving this here.

9-12
d12ebc5fba9afe836b1018350ccc7853.jpg

5-8
a37a2f05c559feb3e6ba60dba0c79ff4.jpg

Interesting that we've exceeded the expectations of some of the Scott Out protagonists for season 2016 yet they still want him out. Strange bunch.

Yep, we have work to do still to progress to that next step. No question about that. From 10th and on the slide to a Prelim Final. There'd be about 14 clubs that'd take that improvement.

Let's see how we go in 2017.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Bobby notice how Stanley,Dangefield,Smith,Menegolla and Henderson have all played their career best football under Scott ? the only time a mature age recruit doesn't play career best football under Scott is if they have injury problems.

Notice how Scott was able to get more out of our 2011 side with less talent than Thompson was in 2010 ?

Scott is a brilliant at developing players , the fact is we have been deprived of early draft picks for so long and a number of our 1st round picks have been hit hard with injuries .Thurlow and Menzel would be certain A grade players was it not for injuries.

Even after being gifted so man talented young players it took a lot of pain and heartache for our young players under Thompson to become A grade players.

We have had a good year , I was correct and Scott is getting another contract . I am really happy.
Notice how you get very few 'likes' for your posts anymore ;) And as for your post, pure crap like always crazy. Remember Jonathan Simpkin who played for Scott for a couple of seasons there and was in and out of the team, how did he manage to play in one of the greatest teams of the modern era and earn the right to play in a premiership winning side? Basically what I am getting at, he went to another club and improved under a different coaching staff. The same thing can be said about many others who have left us and managed to play as starters and play consistent football. Varcoe, Hamling, Hunt are recent examples. Chris Scott never made Mitch Duncan, Steven Motlop, Daniel Menzel better players. They showed enormous potential under Bomber Thompson and merely progressed as the years went by. I would argue that Duncan and Motlop have gone backwards over the last 18 months. Blicavs had a breakout season solely due to the very fact we had a lot injuries and he was the last one standing and like his first 2 years in the game where he was gifted games despite stinking it up throughout half of those initial seasons, he's had one good year and was bloody terrible in 2016. How come guys like Lang, Kersten, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch, Vardy all regressed? You bring up Menegola but he did nothing he was not doing at Fremantle. The only difference is he was given a chance at a softer midfield at Geelong. His finals were average to say the least. Was shown up big time on Friday night so pull the breaks on him and we will see where he is at by the end of next year. As for Dangerfield . . . lol, we got him when he had just won his teams best & fairest. He is in his prime and almost won the Brownlow medal last year. Are you seriously implying he would not have replicated this years performances if he was playing for another team like Hawthorn, Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon or Richmond? :huh:

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
100% agreed......I have a theory on this slipping over business, it's a Form of shirking a contest.
Jordan Murdoch is the greatest exponent the game has ever seen of this. I've literally seen him fall over his own shadow.

Spot on!

Andrew Mackie has perfected the art in fact. That's making it look like you're putting your body on the line / making an effort to be physical and win the footy, etc, but you're really trying to avoid any kind of contact.

What Chris Scott needs to do is get the players out of the cotton wool he's wrapped them in, kick the old heads that aren't working hard and try and change the culture. It's a complacent culture atm. Too many individuals, not enough 'team'. You only need to look at the Dogs, they're all in sync, they work hard for each other, they think 2, 3 moves ahead and run forward for their team mates to get in position. We're a static, lazy, talented but as I said, complacent side. I get the feeling that the players really couldn't care less, they'll be looking forward to 4 months of travel, sipping lattes and playing golf now I guess.

Only 2 players in our side played like they truly wanted to win and give their all on Friday night, we know who they are. A coach needs to identify this and address it with the other club leaders.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not disagreeing with your post, but who actually gives a damn about 'likes'?

The forum would be such an interesting read if everyone posted with winning the most likes in mind... Please.

Agreed.

By the way, have I told you I just love all the Cats posters on this board? You're all very special to me.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
at least Caracella is gone. That is something. The VFL showed no heart in their straight set exit this yar, despite being choc full of AFL players. Our culture is so poor right now, as soon as Harley, Ling, Chapman, Scarlett (until this year) left, we reverted back to old times again. You just go and listen to Scott's press conference from after the game on Friday and it is littered with excuses. Same tiresome excuses we heard in the 2012 final loss to Fremantle (down by 50 early in the game), same excuse we heard after losing a home final to Fremantle the next year and then once more, straight sets exit in 2014 and we back it up with a pitiful season the next year. Look at our lucky escape against Hawthorn, the coaches demeanor after that one was pure adulation and excitment but it should not have been. Geelong should not have even been in the position to lose the game in the first place. We had healthy ruck stocks remember! And Hawthorn were playing a backup ruckman and VFL plodders in place of the missing Roughead and Sicily and they still controlled the tempo of the game and had the game dictated on their terms until the final second.

Geelong deliver hard flat handballs to the feet of a motionless team mate more than anyone else in the competition. Our disposal is poor...especially under pressure

Skill. Been talking about on here for a while. Not rocket surgery.

If a coach is all into strategies and structures, that can be neglected. So....looking at it the other way, training them up in skills can take away a coach's play-making control. Highly skilled players can make it up as they go along, SJ being an extreme example of that. Like when Bomber trained them up, and said they virtually coached themselves at times.

The good teams handball to create play

We handball to try get out of trouble or because people panic.
And because of that where Swans/Dogs and co instinctively handball to the advantage side and to space, we lob hospital ones or balls that are easily read and picked off by a good side.

But that isn't necessarily a new thing that has only happened this year

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The good teams handball to create play

We handball to try get out of trouble or because people panic.
And because of that where Swans/Dogs and co instinctively handball to the advantage side and to space, we lob hospital ones or balls that are easily read and picked off by a good side.

But that isn't necessarily a new thing that has only happened this year
How often did you see someone on the bottom of a pack handball into the corridor in our defensive half this year, only to see the opposition get a loose ball and kick an easy goal........pretty often I can say with confidence.
We don't seem to have a lot of 'smart' footballers anymore.

How often did you see someone on the bottom of a pack handball into the corridor in our defensive half this year, only to see the opposition get a loose ball and kick an easy goal........pretty often I can say with confidence.
We don't seem to have a lot of 'smart' footballers anymore.
I genuinely think we have players that look after their mates as well
Guth/Blitz/Caddy/Mots will all pick a worse option if it is giving it to one another
I felt it last year and this year I reckon it happened again

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Guth/Blitz/Caddy/Mots will all pick a worse option if it is giving it to one another
Jesus.....that's embarrassing!
At school, we used to call that 'waxing'

Jesus.....that's embarrassing!
At school, we used to call that 'waxing'
I could be just seeing something I want to blame mind you

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I could be just seeing something I want to blame mind you
Can't say I've ever noticed it....I just assumed most of those blokes mentioned were just poor decision makers. Be interesting if there was a way of tracking that related to clangers and turnovers

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't post it because I thought maybe I had imagined it. Now I'm not so sure. Is that a serious issue? Only if it compromises our ability to win. Mots sure didn't give that 'joe the goose' to Hawkins when he had that big quarter in the h&a rounds ;)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

I wondered if anyone else thought that. The other part is those four are absolutely in the 'undroppables'. Only injury gets them taken out of the team. Be comforting anyway.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I'd find that staggering if true. Never noticed it on Friday possibly because the 4 you mentioned hardly touched it.

I'd find that staggering if true. Never noticed it on Friday possibly because the 4 you mentioned hardly touched it.
As I said it may just be a frustrated imagined situation..

But Guth and Blitz are best mates and I am certain they look after each other and get each other the ball at times

The rest I am potentially unfairly lobbing in with them

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The other part is those four are absolutely in the 'undroppables'.
This has to be one of the first shifts in culture heading into 2017
People should be picked on form, not reputations, and NO ONE should be 'UNDROPPABLE'
I would have loved to have seen a journo put that question to Scott at some stage during the year....then have them call him out on his lie (because he obviously deny it, despite the evidence)

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't think it's surprising at all.

From what I've seen of Motlop lately he doesn't pass it to anyone, let alone the 3 others mentioned. Blicavs must have plenty of mates in the opposing team if that's the case because he seems to target them more than anyone. Not sure about the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back