Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another coaching achievement to the great Scott. What a coach!;)

MSTQHTd.jpg
You're telling me Scott coached a side of experienced star players to a cup? Where have I heard that before.

Pretty handy assistant in Ross Lyon too.

Probably lost Selwood for the first round of the season now too, but that doesn't matter provided Scott comes out looking good.

You're telling me Scott coached a side of experienced star players to a cup? Where have I heard that before.

Probably lost Selwood for the first round of the season now too, but that doesn't matter provided Scott comes out looking good.

Classic anti Scott response. Whenever Scott is involved in any level of success, his contribution is reduced, marginalized, and criticized without an iota of concession that he may have made a solid contribution to that success.

And that done without even a morsel of objective evidence to back it up. Just a vacuous observation from afar.

Premierships:

Scott 1
Lyon 0

This made me smile!

And how have both St Kilda and Fremantle gone after he had his hands on the list for a couple of years?

Exactly. Not when you’ve given away as many picks as we have. They have to deliver.

Geez, we would not even be making the finals if we hadn't given the picks away to get the players we currently have. And if we had retained the draft picks then there is no guarantee or even strong likelihood that the alternative team would be getting us to the finals at some stage or other. So why is it yyou say "they have to deliver".

Your argument does not hold together.

Winning flags is what counts not finishing as high as possible.

And yes Chris Scott has won a flag. But you unreasonably want him to be continually able to beat the odds and win flags at an astonishingly high rate despite having to compete against 17 other clubs and against the self-equalisation policies of the AFL. And don't tell me that six seasons without adding another flag is a horrendous performance. You are simply failing to be realistic and failing to understand the true nature of statistics. You are an ungrateful tanty chucker pure and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic anti Scott response. Whenever Scott is involved in any level of success, his contribution is reduced, marginalized, and criticized without an iota of concession that he may have made a solid contribution to that success.

And that done without even a morsel of objective evidence to back it up. Just a vacuous observation from afar.
Exactly. Muppets!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Think the apposite term here is 'come in, spinner'. What a pity 'Blighty' isn't here to add some more anti Scott campaigning.

Actually, saw very little of the encounter, but whoever the coaching staff are any win in a game biased toward the Irish is worth a positive shout-out.

Geez, we would not even be making the finals if we hadn't given the picks away to get the players we currently have. And if we had retained the draft picks then there is no guarantee or even strong likelihood that the alternative team would be getting us to the finals at some stage or other. So why is it yyou say "they have to deliver".

Your argument does not hold together.

In your view.

How do you know we wouldn’t be making finals? You don’t. Don’t you have confidence in our ability to develop talent anymore?

In your view.

How do you know we wouldn’t be making finals? You don’t. Don’t you have confidence in our ability to develop talent anymore?

Yes, it's just my views. And I wasn't categorical that we wouldn't make finals with the alternative team full of draftees, just that there's no guarantees or even strong likelihood we would. Take Melbourne, St Kilda and Collingwood as examples.

Yes, we experienced success for the first time in 44 years back in 2007 with a list that was wholly homegrown except for one player (Ottens). But times have changed - the introduction of free agency and the introduction of the two new clubs that absorbed a hell of a lot of new talent, on top of the fact we have performed so well in the home and away which is meant we have had low draft picks comparable to our competitors. As Greco noted above, our club's mantra is always to compete and not to tank as a strategy to rebuild from the bottom of the ladder. They have had to innovate and (in my view) have done it brilliantly. I still feel we are very well placed to challenge the next year, and maybe we will have evolved a little bit further as a team and not meet the likes of Adelaide (the best team all year) on their home ground in a preliminary final. And if we do snag another grand final, then we will have beaten the law of averages (Again) as opposed to those that will say Scott was well overdue and should have achieved it earlier.

Yes, it's just my views. And I wasn't categorical that we wouldn't make finals with the alternative team full of draftees, just that there's no guarantees or even strong likelihood we would.

Yes, we experienced success for the first time in 44 years back in 2007 with a list that was wholly homegrown except for one player (Ottens). But times have changed - the introduction of free agency and the introduction of the two new clubs that absorbed a hell of a lot of new talent, on top of the fact we have performed so well in the home and away which is meant we have had low draft picks comparable to our competitors. As Greco noted above, our club's mantra is always to compete and not to tank as a strategy to rebuild from the bottom of the ladder. They have had to innovate and (in my view) have done it brilliantly. I still feel we are very well placed to challenge the next year, and maybe we will have evolved a little bit further as a team and not meet the likes of Adelaide (the best team all year) on their home ground in a preliminary final. And if we do snag another grand final, then we will have beaten the law of averages (Again) as opposed to those that will say Scott was well overdue and should have achieved it earlier.
We HAVE to not get smashed early on in a final this year. Personally that is all I want. Be highly competitive in every final.
But unfortunately I said the exact same thing this time last year.
I'm happy we kept our picks this year. (19 was a gift to give to the Suns IMO)
So that is a positive but yeah finals.

And yes Chris Scott has won a flag. But you unreasonably want him to be continually able to beat the odds and win flags at an astonishingly high rate despite having to compete against 17 other clubs and against the self-equalisation policies of the AFL. And don't tell me that six seasons without adding another flag is a horrendous performance. You are simply failing to be realistic and failing to understand the true nature of statistics. You are an ungrateful tanty chucker pure and simple.

I expect him to build a team capable of winning a flag, that either means a realistic topup (we are way off so its no longer realistic) or to rebuild the list by drafting kids and playing youth at the expense of wins.

He has done neither, just turned us into North 2.0.

I expect him to build a team capable of winning a flag, that either means a realistic topup (we are way off so its no longer realistic) or to rebuild the list by drafting kids and playing youth at the expense of wins.

He has done neither, just turned us into North 2.0.

What is a realistic top-up?

In your view.

We finished 10th in 2015. If you think adding two 18yr olds for the following season and another two the year after that would have bridged the gap then you might charitably be described as optimistic.

We finished 10th in 2015. If you think adding two 18yr olds for the following season and another two the year after that would have bridged the gap then you might charitably be described as optimistic.

we did have a lot of injured players coming back the following season

so making finals without the topups in 2016 wasnt totally out of the question

Here's a comparison between Chris Scott, and another coach of a successful AFL side, John Longmire.

-Both started senior coaching in 2011.
-Both inherited star lists from their previous coach, who had coached a premiership or two with them.
-Within two years, both had coached the team to a flag.
-Both have only coached their team to one premiership.

So, what is the difference? Why is John Longmire not criticised more by Sydney fans, the way CS is by so-called Geelong fans?

Before you say Longmire has coached more successful finals, and been in more Grand Finals, I need to remind you that to many of you, with Chris Scott, you take the attitude of "premiership or bust". So it doesn't matter how many extra finals Longmire has coached, when there has been one flag from it.

I bet if Scott got us into countless Grand Finals, but we only still won the 2011 flag, that he would be criticised. Yet Longmire gets a pass from the footy world.

Chris Scott's flag-38 point margin
Longmire's flag- 7 point margin

Sydney had COLA, Buddy Franklin and academies, and yet have only still won one flag.

Chris Scott has never coached 6 successive losses. Longmire has (this year, and it was actually 7, if you count the 2016 GF).

John Longmire's winning percentage is not as good as Chris Scott's.

So, other than Alistair Clarkson, who is a once-in-a-generation coach, who would be a better coach than Chris Scott at the moment? I doubt Clarkson is available, so then, Scott is the next best available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back