Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A top up which has turned over 17 of our best 22 players.

Sounds like a rebuild to me, while at the same time competing for a flag.

Freakish really

No. Retirement, and father time, turned over 17 of our best 22 players.

Considering that there are few Geelong premiership players playing in 2018, across the league, then I think that had a lot to do with it.

No. Retirement, and father time, turned over 17 of our best 22 players.

Considering that there are few Geelong premiership players playing in 2018, across the league, then I think that had a lot to do with it.

Agree.

Irrelevant how they move on, it’s all the same.

Will say he did make some very tough calls on players, such as moving on Bartel kelly Chapman Johnson. Something I know Thompson wouldn’t have had the gonaz to do.

He has definitely been rebuilding our side out of the most difficult period a team has to deal with, transitioning a premiership team in its twilight.

We finished 10th in 2015. If you think adding two 18yr olds for the following season and another two the year after that would have bridged the gap then you might charitably be described as optimistic.

Yes, you might. Except of course that I didn’t actually say that.

Conversely, what if we’d kept our 2nd round pick in 2012, and that player had managed senior football in 2013 and 2015. How would that have compared to McIntosh’s output - worse or better?

Conversely, what if we’d kept our 2nd round pick in 2012, and that player had managed senior football in 2013 and 2015. How would that have compared to McIntosh’s output - worse or better?
You're welcome to review the 2012 draft and players that went from #37 onwards, being as that's where the McIntosh pick ended up. Personally I don't really see any difference makers or guaranteed 22.

Ask Sydney fans. But after the last two seasons he absolutely should be.

Hey partridge, would you like to take a trip down memory lane as to what you said about bombed Thompson post 2006 thread?

Pretty strong words about how how that moron can’t coach to save himself?

Your definitely an excellent judge of coaches

And what if he hadn't? Geelong's second round picks over the last decade are Nathan Djerrkura, Dawson Simpson, Tom Gillies, Mitch Duncan, Cameron Guthrie (technically a first rounder but I think for our purposes fits), Shane Kersten, Jarred Jansen and Brandan Parfitt. Based on that list our hypothetical man is a pretty decent chance not to see the field in those three years, or break McIntosh's average games (which would be what, 5.5 over three seasons?) before they're moved on.

tl;dr, I think even if they'd kept every draft pick they're at best treading water - which by 2015 is scrapping for the last few finals places and not a serious threat. And every year you play steady as she goes and slowly accumulate talent is another year you lose older guys like Johnson, Mackie or Lonergan and another year that Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor get closer to the end. Characterising the decision to make the team dramatically better as some kind of irresponsible gamble that should be punished if it doesn't end in a premiership is crazy, to me.

Hey partridge, would you like to take a trip down memory lane as to what you said about bombed Thompson post 2006 thread?

Pretty strong words about how how that moron can’t coach to save himself?

Your definitely an excellent judge of coaches
Bomber and the team absolutely deserved to cop s**t in 2006. Absolutely underachieved.
Do you think not?
What would've happened if the club thought everything was totally cool?
No review, prob no flags.
There were probably complete tossers on here at the end of 2006 saying "How dare you criticise Bomber! He bought to a prelim only 2 years ago."

Bomber and the team absolutely deserved to cop s**t in 2006. Absolutely underachieved.
Do you think not?
There were probably complete tossers on here at the end of 2006 saying "How dare you criticise Bomber! He bought to a prelim only 2 years ago."

The difference is, Bomber got credit and acknowledgment for those flags, whereas Chris Scott gets no credit for 2011.

I don't believe those who say that Chris Scott must win a flag to be a good coach, when they won't give him credit for one that he did win.

The difference is, Bomber got credit and acknowledgment for those flags, whereas Chris Scott gets no credit for 2011.

I don't believe those who say that Chris Scott must win a flag to be a good coach, when they won't give him credit for one that he did win.
Not many don't give Scott credit.
I reckon you'd find an overwhelming majority of Cats fans would give C.S plenty of credit for '11

Not many don't give Scott credit.
I reckon you'd find an overwhelming majority of Cats fans would give C.S plenty of credit for '11

Bull.

I have seen a few, like BlightyCats (who it seems got his ass modded out of here, and not a moment too soon, and BiggyBoy, who I hope gets a permaban soon) will never give Scott an ounce of credit for anything.

BlightyCats is the biggest hypocrite out, because he bags Chris Scott, whose GF record is 1-0, but then is a fan of Malcolm Blight, who coached us in GFs 0-3.

Bull.

I have seen a few, like BlightyCats (who it seems got his ass modded out of here, and not a moment too soon, and BiggyBoy, who I hope gets a permaban soon) will never give Scott an ounce of credit for anything.

BlightyCats is the biggest hypocrite out, because he bags Chris Scott, whose GF record is 1-0, but then is a fan of Malcolm Blight, who coached us in GFs 0-3.
That's like 2 posters on Big footy and everyone should be entitled to their view IMO.
In real life I get a few people saying it from other clubs mainly just for banter etc but I can't really remember it ever from Cats fans.
But that's just me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think not?

The complete tossers were the ones declaring that our midfield was too slow and our list was poorly built.

There’s a difference between acknowledging a disappointing season, and making terrible calls and then looking like a complete jack a— in hindsight.

So many posters made stupid calls at the end of 06, especially regarding guys like Ling, Kelly and Bartel. Armchair experts.

The complete tossers were the ones declaring that our midfield was too slow and our list was poorly built.

There’s a difference between acknowledging a disappointing season, and making terrible calls and then looking like a complete jack a— in hindsight.

So many posters made stupid calls at the end of 06, especially regarding guys like Ling, Kelly and Bartel. Armchair experts.
I didn't know BF existed back then. But I gotta admit I had serious doubts over Ling, Mackie and Rooke after that year.
Glad I was completely wrong.
I hope that happens again with Blitz, McCarthy, Stanley but I really really doubt it.

I think you're being unfair there. We supporters can only go by what we see on the field and the press statements, we don't know what's happening in the club rooms and players/coaches minds. So all we can judge is the performances each week during 2.5 hours of footy to gauge all these things. That's why people sometimes make inaccurate predictions or assessments.

06 was a bad year, no one can sugar coat it based on a retrospective look back at what they did in 2007 onward. It took a major review and a complete rejigging of the culture among the players to make 2007 happen, and it took changing the job description of the senior coach and getting outside help in (Balme). 2006 wasn't just a blip, the team hit a brick wall and needed to change. Thankfully, they did.

What I hate is self-righteous people coming in calling people tossers because it makes you feel superior to everyone else. I know who that makes the tosser.

Last edited:
I think you're being unfair there. We supporters can only go by what we see on the field and the press statements, we don't know what's happening in the club rooms and players/coaches minds. So all we can judge is the performances each week during 2.5 hours of footy to gauge all these things. That's why people sometimes make inaccurate predictions or assessments.

In 06, I thought we started the year very badly, and maybe the last 6 weeks the team started to show a bit of fight (too little too late). But that was a bad year, no one can sugar coat it based on a retrospective look back at what they did in 2007 onward. It took a major review and a complete rejigging of the culture among the players to make 2007 happen, and it took changing the job description of the senior coach and getting outside help in (Balme). 2006 wasn't just a blip, the team hit a brick wall and needed to change. Thankfully, they did.

What I hate is self-righteous people coming in calling people tossers because it makes you feel superior to everyone else. I know who that makes the tosser.
Hey if I can get called spoilt ,ungrateful, and accused of only following the club since 07 just for giving an opinion on a club I've gone for my whole life through good and bad, it's hard too feel a whole lotta guilt calling someone a tosser.

In 06, I thought we started the year very badly, and maybe the last 6 weeks the team started to show a bit of fight (too little too late). But that was a bad year, no one can sugar coat it based on a retrospective look back at what they did in 2007 onward. It took a major review and a complete rejigging of the culture among the players to make 2007 happen, and it took changing the job description of the senior coach and getting outside help in (Balme). 2006 wasn't just a blip, the team hit a brick wall and needed to change. Thankfully, they did.

We didn't start 06 bad at all

Not a truer word spoken about old Blighty. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Hey if I can get called spoilt ,ungrateful, and accused of only following the club since 07 just for giving an opinion on a club I've gone for my whole life through good and bad, it's hard too feel a whole lotta guilt calling someone a tosser.
Well you miss my point. I don't think anyone should be calling anyone anything—spoilt or a tosser—just based on an opinion they have about Geelong. But if you ppl want to act like children, then have it. The mods obviously don't care about the place anymore.

Bull.

How posts like these aren't deleted I'll never know. Targeting a user who hasn't been around in over 6 months & another on their last legs who has never dished out personal insults but cops them daily.

Catters, that is piss weak IMO

Last edited:
How posts like these aren't deleted I'll never know. Targeting a user who hasn't been around in over 6 months & another on their last legs who has never dished out personal insults but cops them daily.

Piss weak IMO

We don't read EVERY post....did you report them? Any of them?

Let me check.....no you didn't. So, under your most recent persona, you see what you consider an objectionable post and you do nothing but whinge and point the finger at the moderators.....?

And so you call Mods piss weak?.......by doing so, resorting to name calling of mods because they (in your opinion) don't take action against name callers....:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
We don't read EVERY post....did you report them?

Let me check.....no you didn't. So, under your most recent persona, you see what you consider an objectionable post and you do nothing but whinge and point the finger at the moderators.....

And you call Mods piss weak.......by doing so, resorting to name calling of mods because they (in your opinion) don't punish name callers....:rolleyes:

Noted!
Assumptions David. I called the poster piss weak, not the mods!

Assumptions David. I called the poster piss weak, not the mods!

I'm glad to hear that Deep.......

My point is still relevant though....we should all refrain from name calling and concentrate on the topic at hand.

And report posts that step over a reasonable line when we see them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back