Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see
A) Dangerfield in the ruck
B) Every Geelong player behind their opponent except Selwood

Well coached Chris Scott - well coached. I can now see why all coaches consider you hardest to coach against. Coaches must be crapping themselves with Danger lining up in the ruck - maybe he wasn't happy with Duncans ruck efforts last week....

Ive defended CS over the time.

But my blind dead Nana who's been in a box for 7 years could see this one coming.

If ever there was a time to assist the team it was today.

The no ruck thing has zero appeal to me. I get the +1 at the clearance, but if the ball goes no where near the +1 what is the point?

The players were insipid and they deserve their fair whack here too - they dont get off - but the box up high needs a fair arse kicking after that.

Essendon were flogged all week - probably longer - and dead blind Nana could see them coming out spitting fire -and if they got going, they'd get their tails up and keep going - running forward of the ball etc to provide options.

The players needed to be able to match it but in this case the Coaches as a unit had to be have them ready to go and expect it.

And they were shitfully unprepared and reactive.

Im happy to apply credit and be reasonable when needed but that was horrendous.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Ive defended CS over the time.

But my blind dead Nana who's been in a box for 7 years could see this one coming.

If ever there was a time to assist the team it was today.

The no ruck thing has zero appeal to me. I get the +1 at the clearance, but if the ball goes no where near the +1 what is the point?

The players were insipid and they deserve their fair whack here too - they dont get off - but the box up high needs a fair arse kicking after that.

Essendon were flogged all week - probably longer - and dead blind Nana could see them coming out spitting fire -and if they got going, they'd get their tails up and keep going - running forward of the ball etc to provide options.

The players needed to be able to match it but in this case the Cochaes as a unit had to be have them ready to go and expect it.

And they were shitfully unprepared and reactive.

Im happy to apply credit and be reasonable when needed but that was horrendous.

GO Catters
I don't think we can adequately handle the situation you describe under the current coaching set up. The closest example I can recall, was when the Swans brought the heat at KP a few weeks ago, the boys weathered the storm and got on top...before crumbling again. There have been some other comebacks in the regular season against lesser opposition. The fact is though, you can't get away with it in finals, where the opposition almost *always* brings that heat. We've beaten a fairly mediocre Hawthorn and a tired Sydney - both deserve credit, but I think we could also agree these are two examples where the opponents never came out breathing fire as well.

The other thing is ball movement and zone defence on the G. Promising signs against (a poor performing) Collingwood evaporated the very next week. Throw in the Hawthorn and Melbourne games, and each have instances where opponents are piling on scores and cutting us up. The Collingwood game they just missed their chances and lost confidence. But some of the swift transitions from defence to the other end from opposition at this ground in recent years have been sooooo easy. The swiss cheese zone or whatever. We'll win enough games elsewhere to make finals again but are very likely to continue treading water due to these issues. Yes, it's much easier to point out the problem than offer a way to solve it, but a failure to make headway in this department is a direct failure of the coaching set up.

I don't think we can adequately handle the situation you describe under the current coaching set up...

Gosh, yesterday was frustrating.

1. Are we such a process-driven side that we simply do not adjust to games when mediocre opposition comes out with a point to prove?

2. After, admittedly because of injury, finally playing a side with speed and pace, have the selection committee learned nothing about how we have been too top-heavy for the past two years? Taylor comes in, but nobody of his sluggish speed goes out?

3. Having seen the game live, I'm convinced now that the MCG problem is real. Yesterday, Essendon almost always had players wider and deeper than we did. There were comical moments where they had the last two players forward AND back. We were guarding spaces that don't make sense on a ground which is not narrow.

Gosh, yesterday was frustrating.

1. Are we such a process-driven side that we simply do not adjust to games when mediocre opposition comes out with a point to prove?

2. After, admittedly because of injury, finally playing a side with speed and pace, have the selection committee learned nothing about how we have been too top-heavy for the past two years? Taylor comes in, but nobody of his sluggish speed goes out?

3. Having seen the game live, I'm convinced now that the MCG problem is real. Yesterday, Essendon almost always had players wider and deeper than we did. There were comical moments where they had the last two players forward AND back. We were guarding spaces that don't make sense on a ground which is not narrow.
1. Yes. To some degree it looks like the team rely upon opposition bringing 6/10 level pressure and intensity for the first 15 minutes of a match to find their groove. Otherwise it's like a collective brain implosion, skills suffer, the structures crumble, and boy do the opposition smell blood.

2. It's a funny one cause not that long ago Collingwood made Essendon look super slow at the G. The Bombers are very up and down with their speed of ball movement and line breaking ability. Geelong game plans tend to steer towards a safety first approach, which limits how fast we look. But it's obvious even pressure wise, that closing speed is an issue. I'm not sure how much is intent and how much is physical capacity though. I agree with what you're saying though, Taylor in makes it top heavy when it was balanced. It needs to be like for like. But it won't be, and we know this from team selection over the past 5 or so years.

3. Absolutely. Most people are aware of this now. It looks like the opposition outnumber us on the field 2 to 1 at its worst on the G. KP hides our problems and it's a ground we systematically stifle opposition on. From the 4 games at the G this year I'd say we're about a 5 or 6/10 team there. Probably 9/10 at KP and about a 6 or 7 elsewhere. It's a genuine handicap and has been for a long time.

Chris Scott had every right to give the players a whack behind the ears in a tactful manner during the press conference.

BUT, the buck stops with the head coach and the coaching staff who have failed to train the youngsters up on how to win the contested ball; dispose the ball effectively to position by hand and foot and to improve the players' game awareness during match days.

It takes a good head coach to wake up; swallow his ego and realise that he has to make changes to his coaching staff to bring in new ideas and a new perspective on the game. Matthew Knights has been at Geelong since 2012 whilst Jason Rahilly has been at the club since 2006-07. Is it time to release them to bring in new assistants who will challenge the coaching staff? There is no point in having YES men on the coaching staff.

Just listened to Chris Scott's Presser and probably his best one after a loss that I've heard in a long time;

- Acknowledged the opposition with the appropriate amount of respect

- Called out the coaching moves which didn't work

- Called out certain poor aspects of certain players

The only thing that was missing, which I wanted to hear was something along the lines of;
"Let's be clear, if you don't want to work both ways then you can go and play in the two's"

Apart from that, not bad.

Chris Scott had every right to give the players a whack behind the ears in a tactful manner during the press conference.

BUT, the buck stops with the head coach and the coaching staff who have failed to train the youngsters up on how to win the contested ball; dispose the ball effectively to position by hand and foot and to improve the players' game awareness during match days.

It takes a good head coach to wake up; swallow his ego and realise that he has to make changes to his coaching staff to bring in new ideas and a new perspective on the game. Matthew Knights has been at Geelong since 2012 whilst Jason Rahilly has been at the club since 2006-07. Is it time to release them to bring in new assistants who will challenge the coaching staff? There is no point in having YES men on the coaching staff.
Abso-f*cking-lutely.

And yes it does stop with the Head Coach eg C Scott. Assistants have been there far too long and their competency was possibly always questionable.
But as with Geelong everything is comfortable, people have positions form the top of the club to the bottom for life and the town is happy that it has a team and many of the supporters are just happy that they can go to their long held seat for nine games each year.

Just listened to Chris Scott's Presser and probably his best one after a loss that I've heard in a long time;

- Acknowledged the opposition with the appropriate amount of respect

- Called out the coaching moves which didn't work

- Called out certain poor aspects of certain players

The only thing that was missing, which I wanted to hear was something along the lines of;
"Let's be clear, if you don't want to work both ways then you can go and play in the two's"

Apart from that, not bad.
Agree but to be fair I think he often is like this after a loss. Most people who comment on Scott don’t even bother listening.

Should win both games at home, next small test against GC away then the big one against Richmond at the G who will hit us with intensity and hard running. Lets see if they learnt anything this time.

Agree but to be fair I think he often is like this after a loss. Most people who comment on Scott don’t even bother listening.
I like to listen to his post-loss pressers before I make a comment and for me, they usually consist of not crediting the opposition enough, making excuses like injuries or being unprepared and not holding players or coaching moves accountable.

This one was different, better:thumbsu:

I like to listen to his post-loss pressers before I make a comment and for me, they usually consist of not crediting the opposition enough, making excuses like injuries or being unprepared and not holding players or coaching moves accountable.

This one was different, better:thumbsu:
I also listen every week and didn’t hear much different this week TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also listen every week and didn’t hear much different this week TBH.
I heard the same old same old, he always credits the opposition(humility)but F--k that lets have some home truths like as a coaching group as a team and as a club we were not up to it today and this type of effort has become a recurring and concerning part of the Geelong Cats football club in recent years,it appears nothing we have tried has had any positive affect to curb a worrying situation as seen again today,frankly I'm out of ideas,it will be a soul searching week for every one at the club.

I heard the same old same old, he always credits the opposition(humility)but F--k that lets have some home truths like as a coaching group as a team and as a club we were not up to it today and this type of effort has become a recurring and concerning part of the Geelong Cats football club in recent years,it appears nothing we have tried has had any positive affect to curb a worrying situation as seen again today,frankly I'm out of ideas,it will be a soul searching week for every one at the club.
out of ideas? replace the coach. go back to attacking football with fast ball movement that often attacks the centre. Play two ruckman every week. Thats only a start.

out of ideas? replace the coach. go back to attacking football with fast ball movement that often attacks the centre. Play two ruckman every week. Thats only a start.
I think Scott said he stressed to the players the dangers of complacence of that game,have they stopped listening to him?

I think Scott said he stressed to the players the dangers of complacence of that game,have they stopped listening to him?

i dont think that makes much sense... stopped listening to him, so they decided to be complacent?

just 'stressing something' doesnt mean it will all go to plan. otherwise the coach could just stress 'win by 10 goals', and as long as the players listen its an undefeated season.

we're an average side. will have some good wins and some bad losses. essendon arent a terrible team when they play to their full ability.

i dont think that makes much sense... stopped listening to him, so they decided to be complacent?

just 'stressing something' doesnt mean it will all go to plan. otherwise the coach could just stress 'win by 10 goals', and as long as the players listen its an undefeated season.

we're an average side. will have some good wins and some bad losses. essendon arent a terrible team when they play to their full ability.
Not the way you have interpreted it doesn't.The old voice can get a bit tied, the coach just don't get the message across.

By nature I never swear during football games. Not over an umps decision, or a missed shot at goal etc. never.

But at half time I spoke to someone who wasn't watching it and I completely let loose.
Hooker goes to Hawkins so we don't need Blicavs down back at all.
But instead we leave him there and let danger ruck.

I do like Scott as a match day coach.
But that is the worst thing I've seen any Geelong coach do for 25 years.

It was completely ridiculous.
I also place some blame on smith. He can piss off to Lorne for all I care.

In anything you do if someone says 'hey, I don't want to take this too easy', I reckon it plants the seed that this could indeed be easy.

Maybe Lloyd isn't using his phsycology degree as we expected.

Good to see
A) Dangerfield in the ruck
B) Every Geelong player behind their opponent except Selwood

Well coached Chris Scott - well coached. I can now see why all coaches consider you hardest to coach against. Coaches must be crapping themselves with Danger lining up in the ruck - maybe he wasn't happy with Duncans ruck efforts last week....

That was a sight to behold for sure. He was recruited to help our midfield issues, I just didn't think that would be the method used.

By nature I never swear during football games. Not over an umps decision, or a missed shot at goal etc. never.

But at half time I spoke to someone who wasn't watching it and I completely let loose.
Hooker goes to Hawkins so we don't need Blicavs down back at all.
But instead we leave him there and let danger ruck.

I do like Scott as a match day coach.
But that is the worst thing I've seen any Geelong coach do for 25 years.

It was completely ridiculous.
I also place some blame on smith. He can piss off to Lorne for all I care.
Yep as I was saying earlier when we went to the West without a ruckman I'd thought I'd seen everything.Chris Scott is very Grant Thomas when it comes to rucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back