Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ ........Luke Darcy just called Geelong ‘the team to beat’ on 7mate.

We’re screwed
Luke Darcy continuing to burnish his reputation as the brains within the AFL pundit community.

I think it's crazy. We have lived through the most heartbreak in the league (during my life) and yet still kept turning up.
Most resilient supporters I've ever seen.
Go follow another club? Like the rest of us who lived through it, if he was just the slightest bit fickle he would have already.
Collingwood, St. Kilda and Melbourne would have our measure in the heartbreak stakes, imho, unless it's purely GF losses. you refer to.
The 89-95 losses were awful, but not as bad as 08 as in those earlier GF's, we were a way off actually being the best team, in every case. But 08, until the GF day, and Prelim day, we were the outright favourites.
But following another club- just sacrilege from my pov.
Could not believe hearing Scarlett talk about switching from Geelong to Essendon when he was a kid, because they were a better team.

Collingwood, St. Kilda and Melbourne would have our measure in the heartbreak stakes, imho, unless it's purely GF losses. you refer to.
The 89-95 losses were awful, but not as bad as 08 as in those earlier GF's, we were a way off actually being the best team, in every case. But 08, until the GF day, and Prelim day, we were the outright favourites.
Could not believe hearing Scarlett talk about switching from Geelong to Essendon when he was a kid, because they were a better team.
I guess it's different for everyone. GF losses were extremely heartbreaking. Especially 3 in 4 years. Doesn't get much worse than that.
08 wasn't that bad for me cause I'd finally seen one the year before and also felt Hawks were in better form coming into the game.
95 was by far the worse. Remember the total devastation. Old ladies were crying at the ground. Caught a bus back from the G and no one said a single word for nearly 2 hours. The whole town just seemed totally depressed for a week.
As a kid plenty of kids switched from Hawthorn to Geelong mid 90's.
Also know a few who switched from Geelong to Brissy during the 3peat.
Probably back with Geelong now. Lol.

I guess it's different for everyone. GF losses were extremely heartbreaking. Especially 3 in 4 years. Doesn't get much worse than that.
08 wasn't that bad for me cause I'd finally seen one the year before and also felt Hawks were in better form coming into the game.
95 was by far the worse. Remember the total devastation. Old ladies were crying at the ground. Caught a bus back from the G and no one said a single word for nearly 2 hours. The whole town just seemed totally depressed for a week.
As a kid plenty of kids switched from Hawthorn to Geelong mid 90's.
Also know a few who switched from Geelong to Brissy during the 3peat.
Probably back with Geelong now. Lol.

95 hurt me the most.
92 I was probably too young to really appreciate how hard it was to get there, 94 we were never good enough to beat that side but 95... being infront at 1/4 time (IIRC), thinking Ablett was finally going to show us something in the GF (atleast post 30yo) then we just fell in a heap.
Hurts even more now that we know they cheated to win that flag and Williams, who should never have left the Cats (I know the story, still it never should have happened), was the one destroying us....
Ugh.

95 hurt me the most.
92 I was probably too young to really appreciate how hard it was to get there, 94 we were never good enough to beat that side but 95... being infront at 1/4 time (IIRC), thinking Ablett was finally going to show us something in the GF (atleast post 30yo) then we just fell in a heap.
Hurts even more now that we know they cheated to win that flag and Williams, who should never have left the Cats (I know the story, still it never should have happened), was the one destroying us....
Ugh.
95 we were goneski at qr time. You could just tell. Even from the first bounce Buddha was too aggressive and giving away free kicks. Learnt nothing from 89. Plus nerves and pressure from losing 3 previously.
94 we were in it at qr time but our best player Ricco did his hammy just before the qr time siren. We trained hard on muddy bog pit all week so were always gonna struggle to keep up.
I actually went to the 92 GF. All I can really remember is thinking we were gonna win then very sad at the the end.
I remember walking into town that night with my cousins and uncle and like 95 everyone was just really depressed.

95 hurt me the most.
Ugh.
Were we down at quarter time? Then from memory Carlton went beserk in the second quarter.
95 we were goneski at qr time. You could just tell. Even from the first bounce Buddha was too aggressive and giving away free kicks. Learnt nothing from 89. Plus nerves and pressure from losing 3 previously.
94 we were in it at qr time but our best player Ricco did his hammy just before the qr time siren. We trained hard on muddy bog pit all week so were always gonna struggle to keep up.
I actually went to the 92 GF. All I can really remember is thinking we were gonna win then very sad at the the end.
I remember walking into town that night with my cousins and uncle and like 95 everyone was just really depressed.
I think Riccardi did his hammy in the 3rd or 4th? Not entirely sure though.

After all those Grand Final losses the 08 one will always stick with me as the worst and most painful.
As time goes on it still stings. I remember on the day I was completely numb. Not even upset. I was in shock I guess.

In 92 we were decent. I think we even finished on top. Ur it was a very even comp. 89 we cost ourselves in the first quarter by going the man and not the ball. If we had just played football in the first we would have won that.
94 and 95 never really a chance.

08 we were by far the best team and absolutely blew it which is why it's the most bitter to swallow.

Were we down at quarter time? Then from memory Carlton went beserk in the second quarter.

I think Riccardi did his hammy in the 3rd or 4th? Not entirely sure though.

After all those Grand Final losses the 08 one will always stick with me as the worst and most painful.
As time goes on it still stings. I remember on the day I was completely numb. Not even upset. I was in shock I guess.
Yeah, actually only a couple of goals down at qr time but you could already see we're weren't playing well and couldnt cope with the nerves.
Nah Ricco did it at the end of the first. Was killing it on the wing too.
I was so greatfull just to see one in 07, 08 didn't bother me near as much as the others.

Yeah, actually only a couple of goals down at qr time but you could already see we're weren't playing well and couldnt cope with the nerves.
Nah Ricco did it at the end of the first. Was killing it on the wing too.
I was so greatfull just to see one in 07, 08 didn't bother me near as much as the others.

Yeah it made up for it a little in 09 and 11 was the icing. But it still stings. And I will always hate Dew with a passion. It’s lovely seeing the Gold Coast get thumped with him as head coach.

we have been top 4 with no result too many times

cant just keep making finals every year and losing prelims

No we could be GCS, blues or saints. In the weeds for 20 plus years and you sitting on a stump like the old cocky the farmer wants to shoot as it’s all you squawk about..

And no I’m not suggesting harm to you in any way.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it made up for it a little in 09 and 11 was the icing. But it still stings. And I will always hate Dew with a passion. It’s lovely seeing the Gold Coast get thumped with him as head coach.
Maybe we shouldn't be too harsh on the fat boy.
Without him who knows if we would've still had the hunger for 09,11.
Who knows if we woulda had the Hawks rivalry and the Kennett curse which gave us a lot of joy over the years.

Maybe we shouldn't be too harsh on the fat boy.
Without him who knows if we would've still had the hunger for 09,11.
Who knows if we woulda had the Hawks rivalry and the Kennett curse which gave us a lot of joy over the years.

I get the argument but I've never agreed with it. How do people explain Brisbane in 2001-2003 then? They didn't have any losing Grand Final to spur them on. Same with Hawthorn more recently. Yes they blew 2012 (and they were at least as good that year as any other) but they certainly weren't content after 2013 to sit back.

In a lesser sense it's the same with Geelong in 2007, Collingwood in 2010, Footscray in 2016, and Richmond last year. None of them needed to lose a Grand Final to want pretty badly to win one. Those four teams in particular were as fanatically committed for each other as any teams I've ever seen too.

Remember 1997 too. That one hurt me the most. Not a GF loss but we were one of the favourites, lost Lynch to injury and then went out in straight sets in a Bradbury of a year. Scheduling and umpiring didn't help. It seemed like that was the end of that team and hard times were ahead (and they were).

Looking forward to seeing how the defensive set up at the G without a Taylor of Hendo stacks up Sunday and if Chris Scott has learned anything. We seem to cover Collingwood. Dons..yeah nah.

On the AFL site today they have their predicted club b&f standings, best U21, most improved etc and game milestones - this was mentioned under Geelong:

Game milestones: Chris Scott (400 games as player and coach combined), round 19

Not sure if the AFL thought ahead or it's just been dumb luck, but our round 19 match is against the Lions down in here Geelong - a very fitting opponent for the coaches milestone

Remember 1997 too. That one hurt me the most. Not a GF loss but we were one of the favourites, lost Lynch to injury and then went out in straight sets in a Bradbury of a year. Scheduling and umpiring didn't help. It seemed like that was the end of that team and hard times were ahead (and they were).

Looking forward to seeing how the defensive set up at the G without a Taylor of Hendo stacks up Sunday and if Chris Scott has learned anything. We seem to cover Collingwood. Dons..yeah nah.
Yeah 97 bloody hurt and yeah I felt exactly the same way.
Defence without Taylor/Hendo maybe an advantage this week.

08 we were by far the best team and absolutely blew it which is why it's the most bitter to swallow.

Totally this.

I understand that the drought had been broken, and that supposedly provided some comfort.

But all our losses from '89 - '95 were in (at best) 50-50 contests for mine.

You only have to watch all the highlights of our '08 performances to see we were head and shoulders the best team of that year.

Surely the most dominant team of any season in modern history not to win the flag.

'09 and '11 were very sweet. But that can't change the crushing disappointment that was 2008.

And I echo the sense of just being numb on the day in the end. Knew we were pretty much done when Moons missed after the half-time siren. So the second half just became a blur of dull resignation as the true horror of it all sank in.

For me to be that disengaged in any game of footy involving the Cats is almost unbelievable. For it to be a GF was simply staggering.

Can't even properly describe the feeling. And I certainly hope to never experience it again.

So that's why '08 is in a whole different ballpark for me when it comes to GF despair.

Totally this.

I understand that the drought had been broken, and that supposedly provided some comfort.

But all our losses from '89 - '95 were in (at best) 50-50 contests for mine.

You only have to watch all the highlights of our '08 performances to see we were head and shoulders the best team of that year.

Surely the most dominant team of any season in modern history not to win the flag.

'09 and '11 were very sweet. But that can't change the crushing disappointment that was 2008.

And I echo the sense of just being numb on the day in the end. Knew we were pretty much done when Moons missed after the half-time siren. So the second half just became a blur of dull resignation as the true horror of it all sank in.

For me to be that disengaged in any game of footy involving the Cats is almost unbelievable. For it to be a GF was simply staggering.

Can't even properly describe the feeling. And I certainly hope to never experience it again.

So that's why '08 is in a whole different ballpark for me when it comes to GF despair.
BEAUTIFULLY worded, and you did well not to mention the H word. It just had to be them to beat us.

BEAUTIFULLY worded, and you did well not to mention the H word. It just had to be them to beat us.

Couldn't agree more, Dubs.

In the era of footy that I've grown up watching, they are the undisputed masters of self-belief at the big dance.

Not that it matters at all now. But I truly believe there is only one club that ever could have turned up and wrested that flag away from us on GF Day.

Even for those here who can't stand them, you surely have to (begrudgingly, even) respect their record.

Last edited:
All week I've been hearing how good our defence has been. I've noticed the one getting the credit though has been Scarlett. No praise at all directed at Scott yet he'd be the first blamed when we lost a game and not Scarlett. Just gotta shake your head sometimes.

All week I've been hearing how good our defence has been. I've noticed the one getting the credit though has been Scarlett. No praise at all directed at Scott yet he'd be the first blamed when we lost a game and not Scarlett. Just gotta shake your head sometimes.
watch this space if/after we lose v Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back