Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Game plan an issue.

Seem to be opened up too easily especially by pace.

Did well to re jig the game plan in 2011 and get the club up for a tilt in 2013 and last year after a quick re set. He has never really done a full rebuild but has got results and had the team in contention. Mark of an outstanding planner and motivator.

Tactically thou is why I'd place him mid tier in coaches rather than at the top like a Clarkson or Ross. He just seems to be out thought if Plan A doesn't work. He sets the list up beautifully, plans well all week, has a good system but come match day he seems to white knuckle it and is reactive. Constantly going off at umpires or in disbelief seems a symptom of this.

The fact he doesn't drop his out of form players is pretty telling. Also the fact he thinks a completely cooked Harry Taylor can magically turn into a forward is another head scratching decision. Everyone knew it was never going to work.

Plays too many talls, doesnt hold players accountable, plays an unappealing style of footy etc
Which Scott are you talking about?

Don't see how anyone else would do better
Has kept Geelong in the finals hunt despite losing triple premiership players every year

Melbourne has fed in top 10 picks for a decade and hasn't played finals. Their is too much expectation on the cats list. Danger should never have been expected to bring them to the Holy grail because the list isn't that great, not their fault. Its what happens when you play finals for a decade

Really should not have gotten Selwood or Stanley. Should be chasing Rockliff for some help for Dangerwood

Buckley took over a grand finalist team and made it bottom 2 (at the end of round 8) in 6 years.

Scott won a premiership from a team that made prelims the year before. And just in & out of finals since then.

I think the impact of coaches is as overstated as hitouts. Some of it helps, a lot of it though depends on personnel.

A guy gets handed a premiership on a self coached basis. Then, as they are on the way down, a potential brownlow medallist picks them to go because the postcode is closer to his home. The team makes finals again...

Game plan an issue.

Seem to be opened up too easily especially by pace.

Did well to re jig the game plan in 2011 and get the club up for a tilt in 2013 and last year after a quick re set. He has never really done a full rebuild but has got results and had the team in contention. Mark of an outstanding planner and motivator.

Tactically thou is why I'd place him mid tier in coaches rather than at the top like a Clarkson or Ross. He just seems to be out thought if Plan A doesn't work. He sets the list up beautifully, plans well all week, has a good system but come match day he seems to white knuckle it and is reactive. Constantly going off at umpires or in disbelief seems a symptom of this.

Definitely can't come up with alternatives when he gets caught out on gameday!

Regarding the bolded. I personally attribute this to Selwood then Dangerwood and not Scott. Those two put their body on the line from 2012 onwards to carry us into prelims. When it's only Dangerwood I often wonder if we had Clarko hypothetically if brakes would be removed from all our players inc Dangerwood if they're oppressed by all this role and gameplan crap and not playing naturally. Also if Selwood gets tagged by Greenwood, then someone tag Greenwood, sounds simple but the coach didn't believe in providing Selwood assistance as tagging Greenwood loses us a player (yet effectively free's Selwood..) sounded like he made a conscious decision that was completely illogical. No one in their right mind would value not sacrificing someone like Lang to the tag over freeing up Selwood. Even if he didn't free him up completely it's still enough pressure to get Selwood into the game.

Don't think he's ever got the team up ever. It's Selwood and Danger and Duncan also, but I attribute that to their own leadership and not the coaches. I haven't seen a "collective anything" from this list. Always individuals carrying us

Which Scott are you talking about?
My supercoach side would kindly appreciate it if Brad would pick Preuss at some point.
Chris would appreciate it if Brad would sell him Preuss and the end of the year.

Thanks for understanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott has a far better win percentage than any other coach in the history of the game, but apparently he is a terrible coach.

Imagine how much better his win loss ratio would be if he was a good coach.[/QUOTE]

Then plan is literally put the house on Dangerwood getting the midfield clearance to Hawkins. Before that for years it was waiting for Selwood to lift the entire team and literally drag us to a win. Those players are good enough for that awfully simple yet shallow plan to mostly work. It's such a flawed plan full of holes, for example tag Selwood and our entire game plan crumbles before our very eyes!

I do think he has a real inability to make his players want to run through a brick wall for him. It's all well and good for tactics and trading/drafting to be good, but if you can't motivate the players to be ruthless, you're going to be stuck in the mud.
There's no excuses now that there's what, 6 flags players left in the side (Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie, Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan?). The rest of the list should be salivating at the chance to strike this year but I don't get that impression whatsoever.

Agree on the tactics blunders. Bartel is spot on re: Blicavs. Defenders are slowing down, it shows. Murdoch and Motlop just can't be encouraged to give their best consistently - Murdoch averages 16 disposals but only kicked 3 goals and only averages 3 tackles a game, what is he giving? Motlop, enough said - all the talent in the world but you see it about once every 6 weeks. Cowan is a nothing player - unfortunate career but really don't see what he gives that a more talented player couldn't.

Stewart, O'Connor, Parsons, Bews, Lang, Kolodjashnij, Cockatoo, Ruggles, and Thurlow can get a pass on inconsistent performances, but that group hasn't had more than 4-5 play together all year I believe, it's not an excuse for team wide inconsistency.

I still think Scott is a good coach relative to the comp, but he has some marked deficiencies that need to be addressed, the main 2 echoing the OP 1) Motivation 2) Use of talls.

Cats back at Kardinia now, should start to string wins together, but I don't think it'll be a true indication of their likely finals performances. They will be found out in finals if they can't be ruthless.

I think Geelong is overly focused on forward momentum. They control a game by keeping forward pressure on. When they are hot (or the opposition is cold) then Geelong are smashing teams with Dangerwood and the opposition doesn't have time to scratch itself.

But when Dangerwood cools off or an opponent manages to get some run on then Geelong seem caught on their heels. Like George Foreman in the ring, Geelong are sluggers that move steadily forward throwing haymakers. A boxer comes along and they get bamboozled and outworked. The team doesn't even need to be a great boxer, just good enough to make the Geelong game to slow and appear unreactive.

So, it's not that Geelong don't have a game plan, it's just that they play for the big punch every time. Someone dances a little and the Cats' footwork looks slow.

I think he's quite a good coach albeit suspect in finals.

Seems more to be a victim of hopelessly high expectations (particularly this year) from a list that is extremely average after their top 6 or so players.

Was given the unenviable job of rebuilding a declining list that had been dominant for over a decade and made hard decisions in attempting to do this.
You have to give him credit for that, in addition to a brilliant inaugural premiership season which absolutely gives him runs on the board.

What is questionable however, is his decision to recruit suspect mature aged players and his inability to get this team up when it counts.

You would expect a decent clean out at seasons end, it seems they don't have the cattle to go with the top teams when the whips are cracking.

Above all I think their list management needs more attention than the coach.

c3c322dd0a8c79b9a1c23255bd60b1f1_geelongs-2015-season-in-gifs-hawthorn-v-geelong-memes_495-275.gif

He's better than Brad.

Hard to bag him too much because he just keeps winning but doesn't seem to be as innovative as Clarko or Bevo, or even had the run of taking the game to new areas like Kenny Hinkley. So that's my first criticism.

My second is that he debuts kids that look good but then drop off and he hasn't taken good maturing players and made them better.

The next time they are 8 goals up at half time at home I think he should play Dangerfield forward and Selwood back for the 2nd half. Hawkins and Menzel coming up the ground at half forward. Give the midfield to his second string guys and try to find other options to goal.

I found it mind-boggling that Geelong extended Chris Scott's contract during this season.

That list has been completely mismanaged and is destined to become a Malthouse-like train wreck in my opinion.

They haven't had a first round draft pick since 2014 when they selected Nakia Cockatoo and have already traded their upcoming 2017 first rounder away.

Sure they have picked up some handy players like Dangerfield, Tuohy & Henderson but they seem to be lacking much top end youth coming through.

Even with a a bunch of good experienced players traded in they appear no closer to a premiership and that was still clear before their recent losses.

Scott got kissed on the dick with a premiership ready side on coaching debut and has steadily sunk the ship since, somewhat although not as badly a la Buckley.

It's almost unfair Brad gets berated for being the angry buffoon when Chris is just as similar temperamentally but just hasn't had the opportunity to show it as much.

I wouldn't want a Scott brother anywhere near my club personally

Some of your later points are well made.

Your first was not.

I think he went overboard with the recycled players thing. Aside from Danger (Obvious) and Tuohy I don't think any of them can be considered a hit. I guess they didn't give up much for Zac Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back