Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop, Menzel, Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs are 5 blokes that would be AA contenders if they put in another 10-20%.

Yeah, nah....

Motlop, Guthrie and Blicavs need to put in another 10-20% just to be good.

Actually Blicavs needs 50% more just to be 'average' basing on last months performances....

Don't think he's too amazing but Geelong have become amazingly overrated the past couple of years. 2013 was their last list that I actually rated across the board, since then they've had a bunch of teams with gaping holes on the ground with players getting games who never would have gotten games in the best days of their dominance. The media hasn't helped because Geelong still does enough to end up in the 8 and they make out like Geelong is still this great team.

Facts are they've lost Ablett, Chapman, Johnson, Bartel, Enright, Scarlett etc since 2010 and eventually that catches up with you, particularly when your only big pickup the past few seasons has been Dangerfield. Selwood and Danger the past 18 months or so have done a great job covering up the fact that Geelong really is an ordinary team besides those two.

They're sitting where they belong right now.

He's mates with the playing group.

It appears all too cosy and too easy to get a game once you're in the clique down in Geelong.

I fear that, after so many years of tough, accountable footy, the handbags are back.

I found it mind-boggling that Geelong extended Chris Scott's contract during this season.

That list has been completely mismanaged and is destined to become a Malthouse-like train wreck in my opinion.

They haven't had a first round draft pick since 2014 when they selected Nakia Cockatoo and have already traded their upcoming 2017 first rounder away.

Sure they have picked up some handy players like Dangerfield, Tuohy & Henderson but they seem to be lacking much top end youth coming through.

Even with a a bunch of good experienced players traded in they appear no closer to a premiership and that was still clear before their recent losses.
Couldn't agree more, have said the same thing since 2013.

personally i think he's a good coach. i think the fact that he inherited a strong team detracts people from seeing that. people think if you've got a great team it coaches itself, someone go tell that to leon cameron.

i like what i see of him when he speaks, he articulates his insights very well, and the team that was good last year was built on defense which is always a good sign that the coach knows what he's doing. i think last year he got quite a lot out of guys like guthrie, blicavs and motlop.

the young talent coming through isn't that great. unless it comes good, i think they run a very real risk of being in that 5-10 no mans land of not quite contending, but not quite bottoming out. but that's not necessarily scott's fault.

I rate Motlop and Guthrie. Maybe that's just me.

Geelong fans generally do as well.

Guthrie needs time to get back into form from an interrupted season.

Motlop though, where do you start, has patches of brilliance then just goes missing for quarters or games. Just way too inconsistent at the moment which is frustrating for someone who has all the skills and are in their prime.

When his side got torched by the Swans at Skilled last year he rolled up to the cameras prior to the Prelim and said that his side would be ready for the Swans this time and that he had some things to counter them. He seemed quite adamant.

Then Geelong came out and proceeded to be beaten up once more by the Swans.

Getting caught out once by a side during the year can be overlooked to a point, but when you openly state that you've put a lot of work into the return match and then the team performs in such a poor manner in a cut-throat final the scrutiny should come pretty hard.

There's that and he has failed to put away some ordinary sides over the course of the last few years, which either means he's being out coached on the day, or he can't get the players to play consistently enough and keep their heads.

I can't see him getting the best out of the current list, and with Taylor, Lonergan and Mackie with one foot out the door I think they're going to need to regenerate in the next 2-3 years, which will ultimately mean Selwood will well and truly be on the decline or possibly retired by the time they contend again.

I didn't watch the first match with Sydney last year but I'm guessing it wasn't the same as the second, where we repeatedly won enough ball in the middle and sent it forward but were completely ineffective at doing it.

If we were beaten the same way twice, with Sydney getting less of the ball, less of the territory, but converting everything then it is a fair point.

Can't be doing a lot wrong. Has made finals every year since 2011 bar one year. That includes a premiership and two preliminary finals. Has rebuilt the list in 2016 taking them from outside the 8 to top 4.

I'd argue it's not so much Scott, but some of the players that need to have a good loom at themselves to whether they can go the next step. Lang, Murdoch, GHS, Bews, Motlop and Cockatoo are 6 blokes that might want to give another 10-20% every week and the pressure might be taken off Selwood and Dangerfield.

Dangerfield is obviously great, but the guy doesn't defend. When the momentum is going forward, he looks every dollar of his contract, I reckon he should be working harder defensively. Lonergan looks a bit out of sorts these days, why isn't Koladjashni playing?

Motlop, Menzel, Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs are 5 blokes that would be AA contenders if they put in another 10-20%.

Hawkins, Mackie, Selwood all get a tick. I reckon the rest of that list including Dangerfield could be owing the club a higher level of intensity. Let's not forget they were preliminary finalists last year, with the way the season is running thus far it'll come down to who wants it more based on 4 quarter effort, 1% contributions, defensive pressure, and a good contested game.

No way the Cats aren't a chance, it's not the coach, it's the list and it's effort based.

I can see why you'd say that about Dangerfield but to be honest he busts himself to the absolute limit whenever we either have the ball or it is in dispute so I can allow him leeway.

Agree with the rest of your post, well said.

Don't think he's too amazing but Geelong have become amazingly overrated the past couple of years. 2013 was their last list that I actually rated across the board, since then they've had a bunch of teams with gaping holes on the ground with players getting games who never would have gotten games in the best days of their dominance. The media hasn't helped because Geelong still does enough to end up in the 8 and they make out like Geelong is still this great team.

No kidding eh, that Geelong team was a once in generation, of course not many current Cats players would have got a game in that team, Shannon Byrnes excluded though ;)

You may have a point about the media, however, most Geelong fans are pretty realistic about where they're at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally i think he's a good coach. i think the fact that he inherited a strong team detracts people from seeing that. people think if you've got a great team it coaches itself, someone go tell that to leon cameron.

i like what i see of him when he speaks, he articulates his insights very well, and the team that was good last year was built on defense which is always a good sign that the coach knows what he's doing. i think last year he got quite a lot out of guys like guthrie, blicavs and motlop.

the young talent coming through isn't that great. unless it comes good, i think they run a very real risk of being in that 5-10 no mans land of not quite contending, but not quite bottoming out. but that's not necessarily scott's fault.

I think it's just inheriting a good team hid some deficiencies early on.

The 2011 Geelong team needed a revamp. It had the killer instinct, it had the motivation to prove itself after losing its best player and coach, but the side needed to adjust to the game plans of Collingwood/Hawthorn, move on from the 2007-2009 period.

Scott is a good coach in terms of planning and tactics. Up there in the top few probably, Clarkson definitely number 1 and then a few of the flags coaches can divide themselves up.

But once the team full of leaders departed, and now relies on the coach to instil some killer instinct, I don't think Scott can do it and that's his great deficiency.

I found it mind-boggling that Geelong extended Chris Scott's contract during this season.

That list has been completely mismanaged and is destined to become a Malthouse-like train wreck in my opinion.

They haven't had a first round draft pick since 2014 when they selected Nakia Cockatoo and have already traded their upcoming 2017 first rounder away.

Sure they have picked up some handy players like Dangerfield, Tuohy & Henderson but they seem to be lacking much top end youth coming through.

Even with a a bunch of good experienced players traded in they appear no closer to a premiership and that was still clear before their recent losses.
Maybe they were worried about him getting poached, despite some disappointing finals they had been going pretty good. As far as list management goes agree but in modern current day footy how much is that really influenced by the head coach?

Scott got kissed on the dick with a premiership ready side on coaching debut and has steadily sunk the ship since, somewhat although not as badly a la Buckley.

It's almost unfair Brad gets berated for being the angry buffoon when Chris is just as similar temperamentally but just hasn't had the opportunity to show it as much.

I wouldn't want a Scott brother anywhere near my club personally
so in 2010 when cats lost by10 goals in a prelim and then lost their best player (some say the GOAT) he had a premiership side?
everyone said cats were cooked in 2011 you have a very short memory

Some of you saying he was handed a Premiership on a platter have poor memories. They were absolutely reamed by Collingwood in the 2010 prelims then lost the best player of all time a month later. Yes they still had a pretty good list in 2011 but most people thought 2010 was the end of an era. Not only did they disprove that by beating Collingwood (who were virtually unstoppable at the time), but they're still relevant 6 years on. Probably not a Premiership chance, but this is an even year and an Adelaide 1998 could emerge.

He also has the best winning percentage of all time.

Not the world's greatest ever coach but he cops unjust criticism due to being a Scott.

Like others have said , I worry a bit about Geelong in 3-4 years after not having top draft pics for a while and older guns fading out . Geelong fans can't complain though , they've had a hell of a ride !

they've had a hell of a ride !

Could be much better.
Someone like Luke Beveridge, if handed our current list, would take us to the grand final.

Unfortunately, Chris Scott appears to have invested so much time and energy into a game plan which best suits some of the players he had lofty expectations for. We are now seeing what happens when those players fail.
About a third of our starting 22 are very uncontested in playing style. They are reactive footballers who pounce on opposition mistakes. This is how we score the bulk of our goals.
If the opposition are in hunt mode from the start of a game, we simply don't have enough players prepared to attack and put their head over the ball. We inevitably get outpointed until fatigue sets in for the opposing team at about the fourth quarter.

I just don't think the list management is anywhere near what it was in the 2000s.

What was the last huge draft hit they had? Cockatoo is talented but has only shown glimpses still. Motlop hasn't come on like he could have. Blicavs had a huge first 18 months but has dropped off dramatically.

The bulk of the list has either come from the late 2000s, other clubs or from the tail end of the draft. Some say that's good management; personally, I say when you're so ridiculously reliant on two players you risk it all when one loses form or gets hurt. There's too many passengers and little talent in the depth of the list.

What I saw against Essendon wasn't about coaching. What was it 14 tackles in a half? That's just about players putting in effort.
I'm pretty sure no coach goes out there and says "hey guys don't worry you don't need to tackle today - its all part of my plan"

I think the list has just about run its race. They had a damned fine run from 2007 onwards but every list becomes tired and stale eventually. I mean I know they are the mighty Cats and they never rebuild - until they do.

I think it's just inheriting a good team hid some deficiencies early on.

The 2011 Geelong team needed a revamp. It had the killer instinct, it had the motivation to prove itself after losing its best player and coach, but the side needed to adjust to the game plans of Collingwood/Hawthorn, move on from the 2007-2009 period.

Scott is a good coach in terms of planning and tactics. Up there in the top few probably, Clarkson definitely number 1 and then a few of the flags coaches can divide themselves up.

But once the team full of leaders departed, and now relies on the coach to instil some killer instinct, I don't think Scott can do it and that's his great deficiency.
you can definitely see his brand on this team. they've become a lot more defensive and set up well. but i agree they don't seem to be as enterprising at the contest as sides like the bulldogs or giants or even the swans when they're all in full flight up. they don't seem to have that gear to go to that those sides do. i'm not sure how much of that is personnel and how much is coaching. probably a combination...

He is a mid tier coach doing his best with a group (with a couple of obvious exceptions) of mid tier players. When he had better players, he won a premiership. It might say he cannot create a new plan to lift the players he has, no crime but limits the ceiling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back