Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
The great alistair clarkson- 61% finals winning record

Won 16 Lost 10

(Edit: 61.5%- the exact same wining % in finals as Tommy Hafey and John Kennedy)

Last edited:

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Good to hear Scotty say that it doesn't feel like we're on top of the ladder, even though we've been sitting there since round 2.

Opposition supporters who think that we'll get ahead of ourselves may need to rethink that line of thought.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good to hear Scotty say that it doesn't feel like we're on top of the ladder, even though we've been sitting there since round 2.

Opposition supporters who think that we'll get ahead of ourselves may need to rethink that line of thought.

I think he is having a crack at his own supporters with this one. Hes wondering if they know where he has the team sitting!

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Think he is getting better but alot rides on this year's finals.

We like everyone else win and lose as a team.

If we happen to lose another prelim, or the GF, this year it’s so simplistic to blame the coach.

Did Buckley lose the Pies last year’s GF? Of course not.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm more interested in our forwardline and backline coaches. Surely they will be poached by Carlton or north melbourne

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I'm more interested in our forwardline and backline coaches. Surely they will be poached by Carlton or north melbourne

None of them will leave if other clubs enquire about their services, they are Geelong through and through especially Scarlett.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
He may work there and played there but i'm pretty sure Scarlo is an Essendon supporter isn't he?

The only reason I see Enright or Scarlett leaving would be to pursue a senior coaching gig elsewhere, and that is years away. Both had long lengthy careers at the club and were immediately in a coaching role; their heart is clearly with Geelong.

Stranger things have happened I guess.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Fairly sure that Scarlo grew up supporting Geelong although I'd be happy to be corrected.

From his interview with Hamish McLachlan published in the HuN just recently.

HM: The Hulk … … Your old man played almost 200 games for Geelong — how the hell do you end up barracking for someone other than Geelong?

MS: I remember as a youngster, maybe four or five, when Dad took me to a Geelong — Essendon game at Kardinia Park. We used to stand in the old past players shed, and Essendon beat Geelong that day. I wasn’t happy about it, so I changed teams!

HM: You were light on for loyalty back then ….

MS: Seemingly! That’s bad isn’t it! I had some unreal memories — I loved Essendon. I saw some great premierships in the 80s — how good were 84 & 85. I remember being at the MCG watching the 93’ premiership as a mad Essendon fan. I was a member for about 20 years! I grew up in Geelong, and I wanted to play in Geelong, so I did end up at the right club even though I was mislead early on! Even though I was a passionate Essendon man, I wanted to play for my home town so I was lucky, bloody lucky.

HM: You debuted against Essendon?

MS: I did. In 1998. A big crowd, and a big game for us. I think we knocked them out of the finals. Matty Lloyd was one of my heroes growing up. There weren’t many rotations back then, so I sat on the bench for the first quarter and watched Lloydy kick three goals. I played on him for the remaining three quarters and I think he kicked three on me, finishing with six for the game. I was in awe, and just couldn’t believe I was out on the MCG standing next to one of my childhood heroes.

HM: Playing for Geelong, were you still an Essendon member at that point?

MS: I was. I think I was for a couple of years.

HM: You were playing for Geelong … as a Bombers Member?

MS: Weird now you bring it up. I think I just thought, I may as well keep signing up. They kept sending me mail for a long time. Even after I’d played 200 games for Geelong, they were still sending me letters in the mail. I wrote a letter back to them saying that I played for Geelong. They stopped sending them to me after that, so they must have received it I guess.

HM: When did you stop barracking for them?

MS: The day I got drafted I stopped, but I still watched them and always had a bit of a soft spot. It was a really deep passion. I had a good group of schoolmates that barracked for Essendon as well, so we’d watch all the games, and rode the highs and lows with them. I have some great memories following a great club.

Last edited:

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Despite the fact he cops alot of flack, he is a good coach, 70% win record over his career speaks for itself. I'm not sure why this doesn't seem to translate to finals though, given his finals record is 6 wins, 10 losses....

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Here is a poll currently on the Geelong page... Goes to show many of us including myself don't support him
Screenshot_20190909-050140.png

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
5 prelims and 6 top 4 finishes (2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019).

Is he one of the greatest final coaches ever?

kriles76

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2003
37° 44′ 00″ S, 144° 51′ 59″ E
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Keilor Bowls Club
5 prelims and 6 top 4 finishes (2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019).

Is he one of the greatest final coaches ever?
Needs more GF’s and cups for that claim.

Getting to PF’s shows you can prepare squads well and have a playing style that wins games more often than not. But that game style doesn’t stack up deep into September.

Cats were gallant last night.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Needs more GF’s and cups for that claim.

Getting to PF’s shows you can prepare squads well and have a playing style that wins games more often than not. But that game style doesn’t stack up deep into September.

Cats were gallant last night.

Pretty easy to coach a team to finals every year when you have the largest home ground advantage of any club in the league.

At least West Coast & co have to travel cross country every 2nd week to counter their advantage, if Geelong aren’t at their own **** heap of a ground they only have to travel up the highway most other weeks.

No surprises they continue to bomb out when forced to play away from home.

Pretty easy to coach a team to finals every year when you have the largest home ground advantage of any club in the league.

At least West Coast & co have to travel cross country every 2nd week to counter their advantage, if Geelong aren’t at their own **** heap of a ground they only have to travel up the highway most other weeks.

No surprises they continue to bomb out when forced to play away from home.
And this is obviously why he sooked about it so hard for so long about playing finals there. Unfortunately unless they increase the stadium capacity to 100K the prelim and the Granny won't be played there and he wont win another Granny after coming in on the back of Thommo's hard work and not really earning the first one. Do you think he has even spoken to poor little Tommy as yet?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Credit to Scott. Without Hawkins and Duncan he didn't have the better side, but managed to disrupt our game for a half. Don't understand how anyone could think he's not a good coach.

Back