Chris Scott's legacy if he gags in another finals series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He has one of the highest win percentages of all time in the home and away, but his win percentage in the finals must be the worst of all time for any coach that has coached as long as he has.

He's won 7 of 18 finals.

He inherited a side in 2011 that basically coached itself with experienced all time greats on every line.

Won 3/3 finals in 2011.

From 2012 on he's won 4 out of 15 finals.

I know that some people will take this an inflammatory but I'm merely stating facts.

Can you be a good coach if your side does so well in the home and away only to go to water in the finals.

4/15 wins since 2012 is simply not competitive.

He has one of the highest win percentages of all time in the home and away, but his win percentage in the finals must be the worst of all time for any coach that has coached as long as he has.

He's won 7 of 18 finals.

He inherited a side in 2011 that basically coached itself with experienced all time greats on every line.

Won 3/3 finals in 2011.

From 2012 on he's won 4 out of 15 finals.

I know that some people will take this an inflammatory but I'm merely stating facts.

Can you be a good coach if your side does so well in the home and away only to go to water in the finals.

4/15 wins since 2012 is simply not competitive.

So what were the other losses, how many week 1, week 2, week 3 ?

I always remember the Eagles in 2002/3/4 going out in the first week of the finals then taking them to GFs in 2005/6. They were being called a failure for going out as they did, but there was a bit more going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel for Chris Scott this year so much pressure to select a winning team, but at least he has the best player in the competition on his side Tom Stewart. Still blocking up the toilet with KPD sized defenders, but the scoring has improved even if it's a little predictable. If Kenny has the brains to decoy Charlie Dixon and
attack through the flanks the Port Adelaide tough football basics should get them through to the prelim. Could be putrid and messy, but don't let them take the speed off the game.

Personally i think he's done a decent job keeping Geelong competitive as long as they have. His teams historically to this point, have been better than the average but below the cream of the crop, and that's normally played out in the finals, so for me his record makes sense.

Melbourne's 8 in 10 and winning 6 trumps everyone, Collingwood 4peat have a case as well.

That 4 peat was at a time when the previous year's winner got to make all the rules for the next year. Collingwood managed to win one of those flags despite losing the grand final. I think one of them there was no grand final.

Melbourne dominated too. But Im not sure how competitive sports were during the 1950s and 60s. St Geoege in the NRL won 11 flags in a row.

Port won 6 in a row in the SANFL too.

That 4 peat was at a time when the previous year's winner got to make all the rules for the next year. Collingwood managed to win one of those flags despite losing the grand final. I think one of them there was no grand final.

Melbourne dominated too. But Im not sure how competitive sports were during the 1950s and 60s. St Geoege in the NRL won 11 flags in a row.

Port won 6 in a row in the SANFL too.
Well if you begin comparing eras then the 80s fall away pretty quick as well, even the current North Melbourne team would win minimum 8 in a row if they were transported back then. Which brings us back to threepeat Lions, interstate side threepeat one of which came against the reigning premiers off the back of one of the most dominant years ever.

the entire home and away season is geared to make the finals ...then you reset and prepared to play at full speed against opponents who also have the good form and team confidence.

you’d rather be in it than out of it.

finals are brutal affairs

it ain’t easy to win em all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back