Chris Yarran sentenced to prison for five years for crime spree across Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only so many times you can help them if theyre stealing from you and lying to you. You preach all your solutions but really have no life experience. Its why your passionate about things on anon int forums.
:rolleyes:
So lock em up, then what??? They get relaeased and you have a bigger problem .
Have worked in community services for 25 years , grew up in the western suburbs where half my year 10 class are now dead due to kick arse heroin.
You dont offer a solution, just out of sight , out of mind.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes I did show you that I have some real life experience in the matter and I also told you I helped and supported him (for a couple of decades in fact). It was to give you some background rather than appearing to be just another keyboard warrior that gets his info from the papers. How about you?

Oh dear...

I don't think he's given us any solutions has he? By the way, my brother did far worse than steal from me but Slarti thinks these people should be forgiven every time they stuff up. How long do we allow criminal (and other) behaviour to go on, regardless of police and court intervention Slartibartfast before we say enough's enough?
It’s not easy. I acknowledge that.
But locking up only creates its own issues on release.
Druggies are very likely to roll their own families as they know there movements. Tragic.
Does locking up fix this, only on an interim basis.
Offering hope and a modicum of compassion is only the starting point to but it is the step in the right direction.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
It takes a special kind of selfish to continue to choose crime and drugs over family/friends and it's normally why after decades they end up with no one and why jail isn't such a bad place for them. But I'm sure slarti has a solution for the 20 year addict and all those just starting out, stay tuned.......
It ain’t easy, but the simplistic approach of lock em up achieves nothing.
Addiction is a sickness , to again be so simplistic and call is selfish shows how little you understand.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Druggies are very likely to roll their own families as they know there movements. Tragic.
Offering hope and a modicum of compassion is only the starting point to but it is the step in the right direction.

I wouldn't call it a step in the right direction, I'd call it finger in the dyke stuff.

A couple of small victories here and there won't fix anything. It needs to be done en masse.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It ain’t easy, but the simplistic approach of lock em up achieves nothing.
Addiction is a sickness , to again be so simplistic and call is selfish shows how little you understand.
Some people have the will to sort their sh t out and others don't. Make excuses for the people that cant quit all you like, its still a choice and people choose to fix themselves or they choose to get high and be selfish.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The real fix is to prevent it from happening in the first place and that starts with making drugs 'uncool' to use, tell people it's their choice so don't expect sympathy, followed by deterrents. Make it so that it's just not worth getting into in the first place. Keep the stigma. Telling someone that we'll look after them if they become addicted (and commit crimes) 'because they're the victims' isn't the way to go about it.

If someone has 'mental health issues' then get the proper help because illicit drugs or 'self medicating' (what a stupid term) doesn't work and is the start of the downward spiral.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
The real fix is to prevent it from happening in the first place and that starts with making drugs 'uncool' to use, tell people it's their choice so don't expect sympathy, followed by deterrents. Make it so that it's just not worth getting into in the first place. Keep the stigma. Telling someone that we'll look after them if they become addicted (and commit crimes) 'because they're the victims' isn't the way to go about it.

If someone has 'mental health issues' then get the proper help because illicit drugs or 'self medicating' (what a stupid term) doesn't work and is the start of the downward spiral.
I agree with you on this, once someone like Yarran is trying to head butt cops and take his gun it is a steep hill that needs to be climbed to recover.
Prevention by having family and community support is what works best.
For me playing footy and cricket helped keep my nose clean where as i saw guys i went to school with who were dealt a better set of cards fall by the wayside as drug use took over. Having a close circle of family and friends and an outlet to express myselfwas what stopped me being another druggy.
Making mental health care more available is the next issue. At the moment you can go to outpatients and unless you are threatening immediate self harm it is hard to get treatment.
Psych wards are overwhelmed.

When you consider that the family unit is breaking down( both parents working) and the lack of available mental health , drugs become an option. People gravitate to others who they dont feel challenged by and can gain some acceptance. What this means is drug users who would normally be avoided become unlikely sources of solace.

There is no easy solution but it is a community problem that needs to be addresssed, prison sentences will only add to the despair and further equip them with criminal contacts . The issue has to be treated as a health issue for any results to be achieved.

Yarran still deserves jail time for his crime spree, not the drug use.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
But it was the drug use that caused the crime spree.
But it was the drug use that caused the crime spree.
Ther drug use was part of what led to the crime spree, his personal issues were what caused the drug use and then to the crime spree.
Just highlighting that he did not wake up, thought it was a nice day to take a pile of drugs then went on a crime spree.
He has issues other than drugs which were dominant in his life. The drugs were a symptom of his dysfunctional life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back