Chris Yarran speaks out about meth addiction

Remove this Banner Ad

The WADA code demands a 2 year disqualification for amphetamines.
Only if you test positive on a day of competition. This is exactly the same as the AFL because they also follow the WADA code. The AFL's illicit drugs policy is above and beyond the WADA code because it applies outside competition, something that few other sports do.

Here's an example: Michael Phelps was photographed using illicit drugs at a party, and the pictures went viral. WADA showed absolutely no interest in the matter because it didnt coincide with competition.

I think you're off base twice in one short post. A bit of a plodder aren't ya?

Self destructive personalities often know exactly what they are doing and often can predict both immediate and long term ramifications. Then mental rationalisations creep in and they carry out the behaviour. Yarren's interior monologue is something many will relate to.

What if you were told he wrote the teleprompter text, or at least signed off on it as reflecting his position? Like virtually everyone one else who makes speeches. It's called being prepared. Even in candid interviews the interviewees can be given heads up on what they will be asked.

Code for complete lack of self discipline. There's such a thing as choices Mr Yarran. You made a bad one. Bit of a pity as he showed glimpses of brilliance thru his career. Don't know him but good luck to the man.

Now Caro thinks Richmond were led astray ...

Yet the warning signs were writ large:
- He checked out of Carlton early in 2015
- Rumours swirling - including on BF - of issues
- He was in terrible physical condition
- They knew he had a gambling problem

But they still traded for him. Sorry Caro. You got this one wrong.

There's such a thing as choices
Oodles of philosophical ideas, neuro scientific and biological - geneological evidence, suggesting otherwise. Free will is currently one of the most hotly debated subjects. There is no consensus not even close, even if one was impressed by consensus.

Funnily enough I thought the same thing - any prospective club only needed to go onto Carlton Big Footy site to see references to Yarran as a 'shard head'.

I know it's only Big Footy and lot of it is rumour (or made up) but if you read something like that it would at least raise some alarm bells.

So basically issues that could be caused by depression or other personal issues.
And rumors made up because of these issues.
Bullshit.

What was said on Bigfooty was just bullshit rumors that happened to come true.
Also if it was so obvious, then Carlton should have mentioned it to us at some point? Or his manager? But they said they didn't know. I hope they really didn't or thats a scummy move.

So basically issues that could be caused by depression or other personal issues.
Bullshit.

Also if it was so obvious, then Carlton should have mentioned it to us at some point? Or his manager? But they said they didn't know. I hope they really didn't or thats a scummy move.

Or you guys sold him the story that you could fix him and were better tooled up to do so.;)

Richmond rolled the dice and failed.

Bullshit.

My point: Richmond knew there were warning signs - go back and read comments from your own supporters. Arrogance on behalf of your club - thought you could do better. Very poor decision making by the Tigers.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

Also if it was so obvious, then Carlton should have mentioned it to us at some point?
Or his manager? But they said they didn't know. I hope they really didn't or thats a scummy move.

We happen to have some posters that provide some really good information on our board.

You guys were the ones that were chasing him for six months before the trade period.
Your club should have done their due diligence like clubs do before they draft kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point: Richmond knew there were warning signs - go back and read comment from your own supporters. Arrogance on behalf of your club - thought you could do better. Very poor decision making by the Tigers.
We knew there where warning signs about his attitude. Thats so much different from drug addiction. Once again s**t excuse.

We happen to have some posters that provide some really good information on our board.

You guys were the ones that were chasing him for six months before the trade period.
Your club should have done their due diligence like clubs do before they draft kids.
Great, maybe they should get a job at Carlton, because they had better information than your club.

Once again, Carlton said they had no idea. His manager said he had no idea. How the * can Richmond find out then?
"Do their due diligence". Wow thanks bud, I bet Richmond didn't do that.

Great, maybe they should get a job at Carlton, because they had better information than your club.

Once again, Carlton said they had no idea. His manager said he had no idea. How the **** can Richmond find out then?

Leaving aside the drug issues, his weight, fitness, motivation and gambling issues were all known to your club. Wasn't that enough?

Leaving aside the drug issues, his weight, fitness, motivation and gambling issues were all known to your club. Wasn't that enough?
No. Weight and fitness are things that can easily be fixed, like in an off season. No issue.
He once had motivation playing for Carlton, so playing in a new environment with new people could easily bring that back. Little risk.
Gambling issues don't have much of an effect on on field performances. Little risk.

Drug addiction is not even close to the same as any of them.

Its pretty obvious that Richmond had no idea. You have to be pretty biased to think Richmond knowingly traded a top 20 pick for a player with an ice addiction.
No. Weight and fitness are things that can easily be fixed, like in an off season. No issue.
He once had motivation playing for Carlton, so playing in a new environment with new people could easily bring that back. Little risk.
Gambling issues don't have much of an effect on on field performances. Little risk.

You're assuming they didn't know. That's not my info FWIW.

Once again, Carlton said they had no idea. His manager said he had no idea. How the **** can Richmond find out then?
Obviously they didn't hey....

So why do you doubt Carlton or his manager saying they didn't know of the issues?

caro would have known he was damaged goods, everyone could tell, it was bizarre someone picked Yarran up, same with Bennell

Weight and fitness no issue? Not sure about that. Usually a sign of a deeper issue in a high performance athlete.

Motivation issues little risk? Sure, arrogant clubs delude themselves into thinking they can fix these things.

Gambling little risk? You are very wrong here. Very much a warning sign that a player is in trouble. And the links between gambling, organised crime and drugs should be known to footy clubs.

Not only are you wrong, but cumulatively, the red flags should have been obvious. Your club was into him for 6 months despite him being a contracted player for the following year. What exactly was Richmond doing in this time? These were his darkest football months over his career. The kid had problems.

Leave the drugs issue aside (even though social media were onto it) and your club accepted the risk, took it and it backfired. Stop blaming others.

So why do you doubt Carlton or his manager saying they didn't know of the issues?
I don't. They say they didn't know, so I'm going to beleive them since I have no reason to not.
But then I'm being told apparently everyone knew, all the random bigfooty posters knew. So if they actually knew, then Carlton had to have known aswell. If they traded him knowing that then thats a scummy move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back