Remove this Banner Ad

CarltonFan

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2007
praise Hughes
AFL Club
Carlton
Warning

This thread is now Carlton supporters only. We have tried to allow respectful discussion with opposition supporters but too many have abused the rules and ignored the warnings. This action has been taken in consultation with posters, Carlton moderators and a Richmond moderator.

Abuse the privilege of posting on other team boards and you get shut out. Simple.

13. Chris Yarran

yarran_chris_o.png

DOB: 19/12/1990

Height: 180cm

Weight: 84kg

Draft History: Pick 6 (Carlton), 2008 National Draft

Recruited From: Swan Districts

Debut: Round 7, 2009 vs Fremantle

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Chris Yarran

:thumbsu:

Welcome to Carlton.

Emma Quayle said:
People are going to love watching him. He has beautiful skills and an ability to either involve those around him or just do it himself and kick goals. He hasn't proved himself as a midfielder, but as he develops his fitness — and I think he'll thrive in an AFL environment — he'll spend increasing time in there. Eighteen months ago, Chris was incredibly shy, he almost didn’t even want people to notice him. Now, he seems so much more content and confident in himself. I think he’ll be a great player.

[YOUTUBE]7X1Rzt74BAg[/YOUTUBE]

Chris Yarran - (SF / OM) 19 December 1990, 180cm 84kg. WA/Swan Districts

"Recruiter 1: While still ineligible for this year's draft, he is a very talented player. He has very good kicking skills and proved to be a very dangerous forward at all times. No doubt, he will be a player to watch in 2008."

"pasta: Chris Yarran. (W.A) Think Motlop, Steve Johnson, Alan Didak all in one."

"David3030: Me thinks you have been on the wacky tobaccy a little too long here pasta. I don't know if your parrot etc and I don't particularly care one way or the other ... but I do know that Daniel Rich at this stage is a far better player / prospect .. and I repeat at this time than Chris Yarran is.
Chris Yarran is a very good prospect but Daniel Rich is way way better."

"wherecomingyouknow: Chris Yarran: = 16 yrs old. More clever version of our own Peterson (who by the way is a player). Think Didak, Dale Thomas, Maric (draft this year), Ebert (Port) Akermanis, Brad Johnson, Daniel Motlop, Brett Deledio and Rhan Hooper all in one. Superstar. Plays tall."

"Trump: Yarran form Swan Districts is pressing his claim for a top 5 spot at the moment.Two BOG's from as many games, a standout in the wet and has all the tools. Silky ball use and a strong body.Did anyone head along to the game before the Eagles match this week, I saw the second half only and Cane Lucas was a standout, too young for this years draft but a very likely type for 09's draft."

"Nicko4: Yarran is a talented general forward who booted 26 goals in 12 games for Swan Districts in the 2007 WAFL colts. He scored at least one goal in each game he played and was also a threat around the stoppages where he averaged four clearances. He played all three games for Western Australia at the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships where despite limited game time he totalled four goals and three score assists."

"Jason McCartney: Chris Yarran – Chris had 16 disposals and seven tackles. He played forward and got into the midfield a bit, but he is very classy and uses the ball extremely well. It looks like he is coasting around in second or third gear, because he is such a great mover, but when he got up into the midfield, he put the foot down and accelerated a few times. There is still more in the tank from Chris, so that's a worry for Vic Metro on Wednesday."

"sandgroper: Chris Yarran (WA)
Quick and clever forward remains a high priority despite a quiet national carnival. Has great goal sense and can be an imposing aerial force if given the room to weave his magic."

"HFF 07: Chris Yarren 180cm 84kg FP/HFF/MID Swan Districts
Is a small forward cum midfield type, could become anything, does everything well and has a deft tough, especially around goals where he is even more dangerous.
PROS: - Strong mark, Kicking, Smooth mover, Good hands, One touch player,
CONS: - Body Shape, Athleticism,
PREDICTION: 5 - 20"

"PAV for AA:30 Christopher YARRAN 19-Dec-90 180 84 Swan Districts Football Club
Silk. That’s the first word that comes to mind.
Fantastic skills at ground level, by hand and by foot.
Used his body well to out position direct opponents. If he didn’t take the mark, his pace ensured he was gone when he picked the ball up.
out marked Mckernan One on One simply by reading the flight of the ball better and using his body to Good effect.
Perhaps Needs to do more further up the ground. When cast in the middle tended to lean forward of the play searching for kicks, similar to Rich in that aspect.
Definitely AFL Ready and a Fairly safe bet for a forward Pocket HFF who could develop into a midfielder"

"foj1:: 13. Chris Yarran 180cm 84kg WA
Exciting midfielder/ small forward who others will rate much higher. (as I have done earlier) Yarran is a superb kick and a one touch player. Yarran is also extremely dangerous around goals. I am concerned about Yarrans bodyshape and his capacity to match athleticism in the AFL. This bloke could be a Didak or Cyril Rioli type but he could also be Ashley Sampi which I think may worry some clubs."

"ant555: Chris Yarran – 180cm, 84kg – Swan Districts.
Solid half forward / midfielder. Had a steady carnival without really reaching any great heights. Very nice mover who has great skills on both sides of the body. Even on a quiet day he manages to chip in with a couple of goals or a few goal assists. Takes a good contested mark and has great hands at ground level. Has huge potential if his endurance allows him to move into the midfield at a later stage. Can make the difficult things look very easy on his best day.
His down side currently is the lack of motor to play long periods in the middle and finding a consistent level throughout the whole game.
Prediction – pick 10 to 20."

"Sico 17: Chris Yarran (Swan Districts): 19 December 1990 - 180cm 84kg
A standout in his first League game this year where he kicked 7 goals and was named WAFL player of the week. Spends time in the midfield in underage competition but could become the perfect FP.
Season so far: 5 League games, 16 goals.
2007: 3 U18 games, 4 goals."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/92149

I needed tissues after watching that. :eek:

Yarran roves his own pass after kicking from the fifty and nearly dribbled through a Motlop type goal that bounced into the bottom of the goal post.

Yarran's recovery and pace is incredible.

And will only improve further when Cordy flogs him on the track for the next two pre-seasons.

Yarran said he needs to lose four kgs and is above his ideal playing weight after having a couple of niggling injuries this year.

Thank God we're finally drafting hard players who hold their feet. :thumbsu:

great video that c234 that goal at around 1.10min was super.. almost creamed my pants

Mate, that first highlight got me convinced this fella will be a beauty. Was a bit skeptical about his midfield capabilities a month ago but from what i've been reading about him, his injury this year and what both Sheehan and Hughes has said, i'm confident he can play predominantly as a midfielder in the future.

Carlton recruit Yarran says WAFL prepared him to step into AFL

Well built compared to most teenagers new to the AFL system, the youngster believed his experience against men had him well prepared for a quick transition.

"I think I am, playing with such bigger bodies in the WAFL made it also a bit easier in the under 18s (national) carnival as well," he said.

"I don't expect too much next year, but whatever comes along comes along."

He was particularly looking forward to running out alongside two of the Blues' biggest stars.

"I was thinking about it just the other night, running onto the park with Chris Judd and (Brendan) Fevola, it's a pretty amazing combination Carlton have got," he said.

"So hopefully I can get alongside them and have a good few games with them."

0638141100wj0.jpg

Baby blue Chris Yarran embraces comparison with Cyril Rioli
But Yarran has already suffered a minor setback after fracturing a small bone in his hand a day before the draft.

"I was just doing some boxing on Friday at Swan Districts on the punching bag and there's a fracture there," he said.
Carlton officials travelled to Hobart, Adelaide and the tiny Victorian town of Buxton to meet the Robinson, O'Keefe and Tiller families after Saturday's draft.

Robinson, a hard-nosed midfielder taken with pick 40, said: "I wasn't expecting to be picked up by the Blues, but I'm absolutely rapt to be here and I'll try and make an impact next year."

Rebounding defender O'Keefe had his school formal in Adelaide on Tuesday night before flying over yesterday.

"I was the designated driver," O'Keefe said.

"It's great to be here. 'Gibbo' (fellow South Australian Bryce Gibbs) rang me on Saturday and welcomed me to the club."

Key-position prospect Tiller, who was eligible to play for TAC Cup premier Murray Bushrangers again next year, said he couldn't wait to get started.

"It's been my dream ever since I was a little boy to play AFL," Tiller said.

I think I'll scream if I read one more comparison of Yarran to Rioli and other indigenous players.

Everyone should read BTDG's post before they write an article or post on Yarran.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12906761#post12906761

0638199000sg2.jpg

Tiller needs to hit the gym, his runners are weighing him down... /thylacine60

Remove this Banner Ad

Back