Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He committed crimes. He is a criminal. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I know the exact underlying reason why too. He made a stupid decision to start taking drugs in the first place. Nobody held a gun to his head.

And once again, I'll reiterate, the crime rate in America has fallen since Trump has taken over...
I wonder if that has anything to do with Marijuana being legalised in many jurisdictions?

So that a guy on his third strike with a gram of weed doesn't necessarily get a mandatory 20years.

The problem with labelling a someone a criminal for minor offences is that it increases the chance of reoffending.

A criminal record mean they can't get a decent job. So how does he/she look after a family?

If everyone keeps calling you a criminal, do you start to think of yourself a criminal? Does that make it easier to head down that path in comparison to if you know you are a decent person who made a mistake?

Even if it's just a small drug conviction for something done in their young and dumb days?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if that has anything to do with Marijuana being legalised in many jurisdictions?

So that a guy on his third strike with a gram of weed doesn't necessarily get a mandatory 20years.

The problem with labelling a someone a criminal for minor offences is that it increases the chance of reoffending.

A criminal record mean they can't get a decent job. So how does he/she look after a family?

If everyone keeps calling you a criminal, do you start to think of yourself a criminal? Does that make it easier to head down that path in comparison to if you know you are a decent person who made a mistake?

Even if it's just a small drug conviction for something done in their young and dumb days?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

images (19).jpeg

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Can well remember knowing Yazz had his father in jail most of his life and he kind of said he did not know where he would be himself without his mother keeping him on the straight and narrow. Football looks like it kept Yazz out of trouble until his elite level career was over. Now sadly it appears he is lost and who knows where he ends up. Just do not become the next Ben Cousins , Yazz. Still time for you to turn things around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 20, 2011
Keilor
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t. Deserves another chance. He’s not a criminal. He’s an addict who clearly needs assistance.

Stealing cars = criminal
Assaulting people= criminal
Driving endangering lives = criminal

He deserves to be locked up and for a long time. These are s**t acts and shouldn’t be tolerated in society.

Was a pleasure to watch as a footballer, but has become a straight up s**t truck if this is how he behaves.

How many times has he done this kind of thing and not been caught?

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Stealing cars = criminal
Assaulting people= criminal
Driving endangering lives = criminal

He deserves to be locked up and for a long time. These are s**t acts and shouldn’t be tolerated in society.

Was a pleasure to watch as a footballer, but has become a straight up s**t truck if this is how he behaves.

How many times has he done this kind of thing and not been caught?
Well what can I say? You were doing so well until the last sentence. Hey those aborigines break the law all the time and don’t get caught.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Well what can I say? You were doing so well until the last sentence. Hey those aborigines break the law all the time and don’t get caught.
I would have thought the implication here was that not all crimes have witnesses, though I doubt anyone would have been as brazen as alleged and not been noticed.

The implication was this was unlikely to be the first time Yarran had allegedly committed this type of crime, only the first time he had been caught in the act.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The implication was this was unlikely to be the first time Yarran had allegedly committed this type of crime, only the first time he had been caught in the act.

Yeah. If you reach the stage of assault and jarjacking it’s not entirely unreasonable to suspect the perpetrator may have been up to some lesser mischief before. Can’t assume that to be true though either.

Never seemed like a bad guy Yaz. The punitive approach to his situation probably isn’t what’s best for him or society in the long run, but unfortunately that’s the mindset we’re stuck in at the moment.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Incredibly sad what has happened to Yaz. Just awful to read that he's still only 27, unbelievable that he's not an integral part of this current Carlton team.

I can't help but think that the club let A LOT of the players down in the pre-Bolton era (fully aware that people must also take ultimate responsibility for their own actions).
Club doesn't owe him s**t. He is a grown man who has made dumb decisions. All falls at his feet. Problem with the world today, no-one willing to take responsibility for their own actions and blame other people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

beowulf

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2009
Golden Square
AFL Club
Carlton
The club didn't let Yarran down at ALL. It was him and him alone that let himself down. If anything, the club gave him the greatest opportunity to make something of his life.
And for a while it really looked like he had taken it. To have him fall so far ...
With what he has done, he probably will get jail time. The question is simple: can he come out OK or will going to jail make him worse? Certainly it is a real worry.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Can well remember knowing Yazz had his father in jail most of his life and he kind of said he did not know where he would be himself without his mother keeping him on the straight and narrow. Football looks like it kept Yazz out of trouble until his elite level career was over. Now sadly it appears he is lost and who knows where he ends up. Just do not become the next Ben Cousins , Yazz. Still time for you to turn things around.

Evidently he did get better - a lot better - for a while, but it took a dive after a funeral when he fell under the influence of people who previously caused some issues. Been getting worse and worse for the better part of the last year.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Minor offences??

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Evidently he did get better - a lot better - for a while, but it took a dive after a funeral when he fell under the influence of people who previously caused some issues. Been getting worse and worse for the better part of the last year.

You don't fall under the influence of others, you make the choice. Some people cant help themselves im afraid

Ask why the AFL doesn't have a proper drug testing program and punishment/rehab program. This 3 strikes bullshit is a joke. Test positive once, get a couple of weeks off, test positive twice... a month off... test positive for a third time, take a year off with pay and we'll call it mental health issues.

They should ban a player for 8-12 months, first offence, with random drug tests over the course of the ban and a mandatory 3 month rehab clinic.. Either way, they are done for the season.
Second positive test, 2 year ban.
Third positive, life time ban from the sport at every level!

Yarran has made some bad decisions over the course of his short life. But the AFL certainly hasn't helped him.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The Judge talks about the scourge of meth addiction, then incarcerates him for 5 years? It really is a mindless way of tackling drug addiction. The need to take a pound of flesh for misdeeds doesn’t help anyone in this situation.

I feel sorry for Yaz (and the people he’s affected). Needs to start making better choices.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
The Judge talks about the scourge of meth addiction, then incarcerates him for 5 years? It really is a mindless way of tackling drug addiction. The need to take a pound of flesh for misdeeds doesn’t help anyone in this situation.

I feel sorry for Yaz (and the people he’s affected). Needs to start making better choices.
He has pleaded guilty to assaulting 5 people including Police - amongst 9 charges in total, so a stint behind bars is entirely appropriate IMO.
He's had a real go at ruining his life, hopefully he's able to start to get back onto the right track.

Meth is a campaigner of a drug.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back