Draft Expert Chris25's 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Chris25 if you were picking in the 60s and onwards range, and looking for a crafty small, a centre square mid and a KPD, who would you be crossing your fingers makes it all the way through to the back end of the draft?

I'd be pretty happy with a Lovelock, Magor, Van Es trio myself, but keen to hear your thoughts.

I don't think it's necessarily a great draft for the crafty small types. Charlie Clarke and Darcy Jones are the two I like the most, but I suspect they're both gone inside the top 30. Jacob Konstanty would be around that same range too. I like Blake Drury out of Oakleigh and suspect he goes in the 40-60 range. Otherwise Archie Lovelock is one I also like, probably a 50-rookie type. And Baynen Lowe from Norwood as a 19 year old rookie.

Lots of mid options throughout the second, third and fourth rounds. Kobe Ryan, Billy Dowling and Jake Walker from SA would be worth a look. And Taj Campbell-Farrell from Dandenong is another that I quite like.

KPD wise, James Van Es is an option. I personally prefer the two WA prospects - Jed Adams and Hugh Davies. Maybe look at Shaun Bennier as a rookie too.

Thoughts on a mature tall KPD?

Would Justin Davies or Noah Pegoraro be worth a punt?

Thoughts on a mature tall KPD?

Would Justin Davies or Noah Pegoraro be worth a punt?

Ethan Phillips in the second or third round, with Noah Pegoraro and Tyreece Leiu as rookies is what I suggested on the Fremantle board.

I've been sharing my draft board throughout the year on the Fremantle page, but haven't gotten around to creating a thread here. I guess it's about time...

The Big Board

40. Kobe Ryan (182cm, 68kg midfielder from SA)
I'm 100% living in the past, but I still cannot believe this kid has drifted that far down the order. I was almost certain he would be close to a top 10 pick by the end of this year.

I'm 100% living in the past, but I still cannot believe this kid has drifted that far down the order. I was almost certain he would be close to a top 10 pick by the end of this year.

It does seem unfair because Kobe really couldn’t have done much more this season. And yet I still probably have him higher than most.

Just doesn’t really have the hurt factor, limited versatility and less than ideal size. We just saw Tom Mitchell basically get given away this week.

I’d still take him, but at the moment he seems like the type who might miss and then dominate the SANFL for a few years.

The early season projections were very much optimistic, but I do think valid. If his start to the U18 season carried over with SA and into the reserves, first round and even top 10 wouldn’t have been out of the picture.

But I think it was more his limitations that started to show as the season progressed. He still did the deepest forward role well, but there was limited versatility. He never really got a run in the ruck at Westies, he didn’t really leave the forward 50 very much at all. I think Scully himself has mentioned Rory Lobb as someone he looks to, but a lot of his value is as a second ruck. Same goes for someone like Mason Cox. I’m not sure Scully is a true #1 KPF. And I think a lot of the reason he didn’t play much with SA was positional fit and how his role fit in with the other guys they had.

A lot of the critique has been how will he go against bigger and stronger opposition, but that’s not really his fault - and he did just fine at reserves level when given the chance. He’ll get stronger and he’s a decent enough athlete and good at ground level, so I don’t have any issues with how well he’ll be able to compete.

Personally, I think being 200cm+ is overrated for KPPs. There’s not exactly a lot of great ones, and most take time to develop. I’d rather a stronger well rounded 195cm KPF than someone who can take a mark at 205cm.

Ultimately, I have Scully at #50 at the moment. I think clubs would ideally get him through to the rookie list where he can develop for a couple of years, but I suspect someone will secure him in the third or fourth rounds. And I do think there’s a role for him as a #2 KPF, alongside more of a leading forward - especially if he can add relief ruck work to his game. But he’ll take time.
So perfect fit for Freo to develop as a Tabs replacement then, especially if he slides to our pick 67!

Few things to cover here...

Firstly, I still don't understand why Fremantle fans are trying to talk themselves out of Luke Jackson. He's not the complete product yet, and yes there are still questions over what exactly his best role is. I get Fremantle fans are nervous about big name trades, but the simple fact is that all 18 teams would love to have him - and 17 teams would trade multiple firsts for him. This isn't a Fremantle of old thing.

As for Lloyd Meek, yes I would much prefer to keep him. He's an AFL starting quality ruck. But you can't blame him if he requests a trade with Jackson coming on board. Guess it's better to trade him when he's contracted.

In regards to the draft, I'm bigger than most on Harry Lemmey and I've written about him a bit in this thread - there's probably a bit of blind faith in there. It's concerning he wasn't able to fight through the difficulties he had this year and come out on top, but his talent hasn't just disappeared. I still think he could be a very good CHF, perhaps an even better KPD. I suspect he's a second round pick at the earliest, probably pick 30 onwards and perhaps much later. But I'd take him, and would fit well with our list - regardless of whether we get Jackson.

Otherwise, it's actually not a bad year to let Meek go and bring in a replacement (if Jackson comes). Harry Barnett looks like a fringe first rounder, athletic ruck and KPP potential. Max Knobel is a raw 204cm ruck, decent around the ground and a good mark. Will Verrall looks good, Jackson Broadbent from WA is someone both us and West Coast will no doubt look at and should be available later than expected. While I think Hudson O'Keeffe from Vic Metro is the best pure ruck on offer.

The only other things I would consider if we didn't get Jackson, would be to investigate packaging up picks for a swing at Aaron Cadman (very very unlikely) or drafting Isaac Keeler and developing him as a similar ruck/forward/midfielder.

Chris. How good could Verrall become... he seem too short for a ruck..has he played other roles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back