Certified Legendary Thread Chrisco Hampers - who in their right mind buys them ?

bruceharmes

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
south yarra
AFL Club
Carlton
As Christmas approaches and bogans all across the country await their hard earned chrisco christmas hamper it begs the question why ?

The hamper contains readily available products from any supermarket for at least 3 times the price and you run the risk of it not arriving.

Do you know anyone who purchases these "deals" and why would they ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

checkraiseulite

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I always thought people bouht them because they worked out cheaper. If the are more expensive, then I have no idea
The whole idea of it is to break it down into a weekly payment which sounds cheap, but when it's multiplied by 52 and administration fees etc are added in, it's actually much more expensive.

bruceharmes

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
south yarra
AFL Club
Carlton
I always thought people bouht them because they worked out cheaper. If the are more expensive, then I have no idea
Definitely not cheaper - just browsed their excellent publication "The Catalogue" - 1 example is the 'beer sampler', whereby you pay $2 a week for 52 weeks - ie. $104 for 32 beers. Beers that dan murphys regularly sells for $30 a slab or $90 for 72 beers - great value that and the hassle of setting up a direct debit for $2 a week - WHY ???????????????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Definitely not cheaper - just browsed their excellent publication "The Catalogue" - 1 example is the 'beer sampler', whereby you pay $2 a week for 52 weeks - ie. $104 for 32 beers. Beers that dan murphys regularly sells for $30 a slab or $90 for 72 beers - great value that and the hassle of setting up a direct debit for $2 a week - WHY ???????????????
This - if you put $2 in a jar every week for a year, you can head to the pub and buy a couple of premium slabs. As mentioned, Chrisco is no different from preditory rent to buy financing.

dales.girl38

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My grandparents did it pretty much since it started until last year - midway through last year my granddad passed away and nanny moved into a nursing home with provided meals, so we ended up with their 8 giant boxes of stuff (mum had taken over the payments and gave nanny what she wanted etc.). I kid you not, we had 4 giant jars of vegemite and about 6 of smooth peanut butter, at least 20 boxes of cereal and just a bunch of stuff that we would never buy.

It's a terrible idea for people who are able to budget moderately well. People say it's convenient to just have automatic payments, but I don't see why they can't automatically transfer money to a separate account (or just save some cash each week) and then have the money to go and buy stuff that you actually want.

PP34

Finals MVP
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Just another example of how idiotic Australian consumers hear the word "save" or "bargain" and waste their hard earned money on crap.

Igloo

Not a mod
May 23, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My grandparents did it pretty much since it started until last year - midway through last year my granddad passed away and nanny moved into a nursing home with provided meals, so we ended up with their 8 giant boxes of stuff (mum had taken over the payments and gave nanny what she wanted etc.). I kid you not, we had 4 giant jars of vegemite and about 6 of smooth peanut butter, at least 20 boxes of cereal and just a bunch of stuff that we would never buy.
Insanity.

Upgrayedd

A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS

brucetiki

Spec Moderator
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
It's a terrible idea for people who are able to budget moderately well. People say it's convenient to just have automatic payments, but I don't see why they can't automatically transfer money to a separate account (or just save some cash each week) and then have the money to go and buy stuff that you actually want.
Another alternative is some shops offer a Christmas Club where you put a few bucks away with them each week and at Christmas time you spend that money on what you need from their store. More flexible than Chrisco and you're not paying a massive markup on stuff.

Also, I think some banks offer Christmas Club-style accounts, which is even better for those budgeting.

Seriously, there are so many better options than Chriso/Hamper King etc if people actually did their research.

Top Bottom