Certified Legendary Thread Chrisco Hampers - who in their right mind buys them ?

Remove this Banner Ad

bruceharmes

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
south yarra
AFL Club
Carlton
As Christmas approaches and bogans all across the country await their hard earned chrisco christmas hamper it begs the question why ?

The hamper contains readily available products from any supermarket for at least 3 times the price and you run the risk of it not arriving.

Do you know anyone who purchases these "deals" and why would they ??

My sister. Oh sorry, you said right mind. Carry on.

I always thought people bouht them because they worked out cheaper. If the are more expensive, then I have no idea

The whole idea of it is to break it down into a weekly payment which sounds cheap, but when it's multiplied by 52 and administration fees etc are added in, it's actually much more expensive.

I always thought people bouht them because they worked out cheaper. If the are more expensive, then I have no idea
Definitely not cheaper - just browsed their excellent publication "The Catalogue" - 1 example is the 'beer sampler', whereby you pay $2 a week for 52 weeks - ie. $104 for 32 beers. Beers that dan murphys regularly sells for $30 a slab or $90 for 72 beers - great value that and the hassle of setting up a direct debit for $2 a week - WHY ???????????????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just dont understand why on the commercials you see kids cheering and stuff when they receive a hamper of supermarket goods, for Christmas???

Only supermarket goods I would want for Christmas would be Beers or socks and jocks.

Definitely not cheaper - just browsed their excellent publication "The Catalogue" - 1 example is the 'beer sampler', whereby you pay $2 a week for 52 weeks - ie. $104 for 32 beers. Beers that dan murphys regularly sells for $30 a slab or $90 for 72 beers - great value that and the hassle of setting up a direct debit for $2 a week - WHY ???????????????

This - if you put $2 in a jar every week for a year, you can head to the pub and buy a couple of premium slabs. As mentioned, Chrisco is no different from preditory rent to buy financing.

My grandparents did it pretty much since it started until last year - midway through last year my granddad passed away and nanny moved into a nursing home with provided meals, so we ended up with their 8 giant boxes of stuff (mum had taken over the payments and gave nanny what she wanted etc.). I kid you not, we had 4 giant jars of vegemite and about 6 of smooth peanut butter, at least 20 boxes of cereal and just a bunch of stuff that we would never buy.

It's a terrible idea for people who are able to budget moderately well. People say it's convenient to just have automatic payments, but I don't see why they can't automatically transfer money to a separate account (or just save some cash each week) and then have the money to go and buy stuff that you actually want.

275827-chrisco.jpg

The wife actually looks like a Pig that should be snuffling around in the dirt for truffles.

My grandparents did it pretty much since it started until last year - midway through last year my granddad passed away and nanny moved into a nursing home with provided meals, so we ended up with their 8 giant boxes of stuff (mum had taken over the payments and gave nanny what she wanted etc.). I kid you not, we had 4 giant jars of vegemite and about 6 of smooth peanut butter, at least 20 boxes of cereal and just a bunch of stuff that we would never buy.
Insanity.

It's a terrible idea for people who are able to budget moderately well. People say it's convenient to just have automatic payments, but I don't see why they can't automatically transfer money to a separate account (or just save some cash each week) and then have the money to go and buy stuff that you actually want.

Another alternative is some shops offer a Christmas Club where you put a few bucks away with them each week and at Christmas time you spend that money on what you need from their store. More flexible than Chrisco and you're not paying a massive markup on stuff.

Also, I think some banks offer Christmas Club-style accounts, which is even better for those budgeting.

Seriously, there are so many better options than Chriso/Hamper King etc if people actually did their research.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back