Society/Culture Christchurch Mosque mass shooting

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fraser Anning is scum and Pauline Hanson is stupid, But maybe they get votes because the two major parties have not addressed legitimate concerns about immigration levels and the number of overseas workers being allowed to work in Australia.
Absolutely, we have former ALP and LNP voters who would actively oppose.anything like the reintroduction of the white Australia policy and condemn Christchurch just as they would the Muslim terrorist attacks but they are going to vote ONP or Kattter to try and get the msg through that our immigration levels (from all sources) must be cut significantly.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Condemnation is just words. As helpful as thoughts and prayers.

WE allow it to get to the point where some nutter thinks killing people is the answer.

Well there's a lot of finger-pointing going on in this thread. Just clarifying that nobody thinks this is justifiable in any way, or a solution to anything.

Nobody wants this, and the post I originally responded to is insulting.

Those types of people are going to watch it anyway.

People like this guy act because they think they have the support of the non-extremists. The nudge-nudge wink-wink veiled racism that has overrun our values is what is empowering the alt-right. They think this is the kind of thing people want. To an extent they are right, this is what people want.
It's now up to people say "yeah nah, that's not what we want". Watching the horror may shock some people into pulling their heads in.

Easy to say when it’s not involving the death of your own family member. Who the **** would want their loved ones final terrifying moments displayed to whole world? Typical of voyeuristic generation

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
This forum is a touchstone for the left v right divide and culture war.
I've said previously that I am basically a centreist who leans slightly to the right on fiscal matters and slightly to the left on social issues.
I've been lambasted by many, from both 'sides', stating that this is an impossibility.
You either with 'us' or you're against 'us'.
Peoples world views are far more binary than in any other time in my memory.
And it's frightening.

Yes the them or us brigade seem to get the attention. I'd say the vast majority of people are not far off the middle of the bell shaped curve. Its the extreme behaviours which get the attention & make it seem more the norm than it really is.

I think it important we stand our ground for discussion, no matter how heated at times, but never offer a defence or excuse for this sort of savagery. Its an affront to any sort of civilised behaviour in any sort of civilised society.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
BS. His 'motivation' is racist, bigoted blind brainless gutless hate of Muslims.

Enabled by our RWNJ politicians & the variety of hate sites on the sort of antisocial media sites some on here habit.

mm, you're a serial lightweight and a cliche riddled cut & paste ideologue, who had me kicked out of the Tasmanian AFL football discussion because you couldn't deal with your highly flawed bullshit being dismantled. Don't bother engaging me in here, you're not worth the effort.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Well there's a lot of finger-pointing going on in this thread. Just clarifying that nobody thinks this is justifiable in any way, or a solution to anything.

Nobody is suggesting that.

But the ideology he had is becoming more common, including on here.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Nothing more pathetic than using a horrible atrocity to push an agenda.

Those of you doing it should hang your heads in shame.

Exhibit 3,093,237,836.

:arrowdown:

It's pretty pathetic. We've seen the PM himself suggest that inflaming anti Islam feeling is a good way to win votes but now he's dreadfully shocked this has happened. What exactly does he believe?

You've gone all coy on us Ron, what happened to Muslims invading this country and undermining our good old Aussie way of life that you're so sure of? You need to own your prejudices. I arrived in South Africa in 94 the day the Bop police killed 4 AWB guys and remember commenting that I couldn't have got a nicer welcome.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
His rantings ticked all the boxes of a pretty widely shared ideology. There are plenty of rational people indulging the ideology. They have mainly online hubs where they tickle each other's balls with this s**t.

This is about as grey as it gets.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
In the aftermath of yesterday, I explained to him that mocking a race or religious group helped create an environment where some nutcases thought it was ok to go into someone's church and slaughter the people being mocked.

My young son immediately understood the point and promised to stop mocking people from other cultures.

If a kid can so quickly understand why respect and tolerance for other peaceful cultures is important if you want to live in a decent society - why do so many people struggle with this basic concept?

Years of programming & personal investment.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
mm, you're a serial lightweight and a cliche riddled cut & paste ideologue, who had me kicked out of the Tasmanian AFL football discussion because you couldn't deal with your highly flawed bullshit being dismantled. Don't bother engaging me in here, you're not worth the effort.

The Tasmanian AFL! WTF!!!

I'm sorry if you have feelings of 'oppression'. Probably a reflection of your mental state. You should get help.

Slither off now Snakey, find a nice rock & get some rest.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Absolutely, we have former ALP and LNP voters who would actively oppose.anything like the reintroduction of the white Australia policy and condemn Christchurch just as they would the Muslim terrorist attacks but they are going to vote ONP or Kattter to try and get the msg through that our immigration levels (from all sources) must be cut significantly.
What?
You actively think that average people would view that footage... of an Australian killing innocent people...
And they would still vote for the fear-mongering that lead to it?
How low is your opinion of Australians?

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nothing more pathetic than using a horrible atrocity to push an agenda.

Those of you doing it should hang your heads in shame.

Nothing more blind and stupid than refusing to learn and change when awful things occcur.

Even John Howard did that post Port Arthur...or did he just bow to the 'agenda' pushed by the anti gun lobby after the Port Arthur atrocity?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How do we criticise violent ideologies without creating oppositionalist projections in these people's minds?

Can't you see that the primary mechanism feeding these logical perversions are their assigned ideological oppositions?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You've gone all coy on us Ron, what happened to Muslims invading this country and undermining our good old Aussie way of life that you're so sure of? You need to own your prejudices. I arrived in South Africa in 94 the day the Bop police killed 4 AWB guys and remember commenting that I couldn't have got a nicer welcome.

You know very well that I'm opposed to Muslim immigration and that I think we are architecting our own demise by bringing them in. That's just my observation. It's a massive leap to claim I support murder, which was also inferred yesterday by a moderator.

They are here, for better or worse, and have the same right to live in safety as the rest of us.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Tasmanian AFL! WTF!!!

I'm sorry if you have feelings of 'oppression'. Probably a reflection of your mental state. You should get help.

Slither off now Snakey, find a nice rock & get some rest.

Good. Happy to see you acknowledge your momentous victory in true intellectual heavyweight fashion. Now kindly * off and never quote me ever again.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Nobody has defended radical anything.
Unless you're saying that all Muslims are radical.

You seem to have misunderstood my post.

I'm not saying that anyone on these boards has, in recent times, or in particular, in this thread, defended radical anything. I was referring to a habit I've noticed among those who profess to be left-leaning, whose recent utterances seem to be at odds with what I understand to be the tenets of left-wing politics. In general, the thinking usually attached to this movement stand in contradistinction to fascism, as practised by any brand of terrorists, or in regimes like the ones operating in the U.A.E or Saudi Arabia. I would have expected the Left to be opposed to such as a matter of principle.

To say radicalism of a certain type exists does not in anyway mean that all or most of any group must, as a matter of course, be radical.

How do we criticise violent ideologies without creating oppositionalist projections in these people's minds?
At least Anning is consistent, ghastly but a man of his word. So many others in this country who've spent the last fifteen years beating up anti Islamic flames are suddenly going to be shocked and ruminate publicly on how such a terrible thing could happen. It will be an exercise in lack of self awareness.

Back