News & Events Christchurch shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you see his face?

Yeah he showed his face in the video stream which has now been plastered across the media so he can't get off on that technicality either.

Brenton-Tarrant-1100461.jpg

I doubt he would have expected to get away with it though, he was either going to be arrested or shot dead himself.

I get the New Zealand government want to keep everything as quiet as possible, but it's strange how nothing has been made of this.

Also strange how it's been reported that there were another 3 people involved in the attack yet everything points to the shooter in the video being a lone wolf rather than part of a terrorist cell. There's also been very little information about the other 3 people while we know all about the guy in the video.

A Croat friend said there was Serb music playing in the car and the gunman had Serb/Croat looking names written on the gun.

Be interested to see if there's any link there as those Serbs during that conflict were far more horrific in their actions even compared to today's tragedy and very nationalistic and hostile to Bosnian Muslims. Some of those people ended up out here.

I doubt he would have expected to get away with it though, he was either going to be arrested or shot dead himself.
He seemed quite content with dying or getting caught judging by the manifesto. He said he wouldn't resist police efforts to arrest him, and that seemed to hold true.

The video that was posted shows him going very quickly in his car. I can't help think he was driving to the 2nd mosque.

He was.

I believe the sequence of events goes:
-He goes to the first mosque, which he records
-He drives to the second mosque; on his way there, his camera stops recording
-He shoots a smaller number of people there because, apparently, a mosque goer returned fire and the gunman fled
-He gets arrested on his way to the third mosque

He seemed quite content with dying or getting caught judging by the manifesto. He said he wouldn't resist police efforts to arrest him, and that seemed to hold true.

He was.

-He shoots a smaller number of people there because, apparently, a mosque goer returned fire and the gunman fled
I thought I read a quote from a New Zealand paper that said that the guy who returned fire at the 2nd mosque was actually combating two people, and he told police that they fled in a silver Subaru. Would make sense... 4 people were arrested and 1 was released - possibly the prayer-goer who fought back.

I'm sure all the information will come to hand in the coming days.

Last edited:
I thought I read a quote from a New Zealand paper that said that the guy who returned fire at the 2nd mosque was actually combating two people, and he told police that they fled in a silver Subaru. Would make sense... 4 people were arrested and 1 was released - possibly the prayer-goer who fought back.

I'm sure all the information will come to hand in the coming days.
Right, and there was the video floating around of two guys with guns at what I presume was the Linwood mosque. So the first guy probably wasn't at the second mosque, it was those others.

You're right, though. Shouldn't speculate too much. Sure it'll come out in time.

A hate crime is a crime that targets a person or people because of their race, nationality, religion, culture, etc. Someone who goes on an indiscriminate killing spree in the street is not committing a hate crime as we understand the term to mean.

These perpetrators are committing a hate crime because their actions were motivated by hate of a religion and they specifically targeted adherents of that religion.
It's a stupid phrase. All deliberate cold blooded acts of murder are about hate. If he was killing people due to religion rather then because he simply wanted to see people die it makes it no less or more bad. Thus its redundant to how extreme an act we see it as.

The shooter is doing white supremecy signs in court.

They should have just put a bullet in his head.
Im worried he wont suffer enough, as arent NZ prisons quite humane?

He was.

You can almost guranteee from now on that there will be mosque attendees that will be bearing arms. That has to be a concern also on so many levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really care about how much the creature suffers, he will spend the rest of his days in prison which is enough for me.

I am more concerned about him getting his way. He wanted to exploit divisions, escalate cultural conflicts. I hope there are no copycats, no revenge attacks from the other side, and that unity in the face of evil is the priority.

How humane do think your average Maori prisoner will be to a White Supremacist ?

Aside from law enforcement, I dont want civilians to be walking around or traveling with weapons.

Well it obviously wont happen in Australia due our gun laws.
Looks like gun laws are going to become tougher in NZ as well.

In America id want to be armed because everyone else is.
They have had armed police at Mosques over there in light of this attack.

it's crazy how many people on my fb feed won't condemn white supremacy, it's all 'what about when ISIS kills us??'
it's still 'us against them' - tit for tat on which side has the higher body count.
we, as white people, have an obligation to reject white supremacy, the same way muslim people must reject islamic extremism.
The person that did this wants to create division, he is succeeding.

I also think it should be illegal to share the footage of the shooting anywhere, all it will do is fuel the fantasies of other psychos, and his face and name shouldn't be anywhere - his trial should be suppressed - respect the dead by ignoring the evil troll that killed them.

he deserves worse than whatever he gets, but the most fitting punishment for a person like that is to deny the attention they crave, to forget them.

it's crazy how many people on my fb feed won't condemn white supremacy, it's all 'what about when ISIS kills us??'
it's still 'us against them' - tit for tat on which side has the higher body count.
we, as white people, have an obligation to reject white supremacy, the same way muslim people must reject islamic extremism.
The person that did this wants to create division, he is succeeding.

I also think it should be illegal to share the footage of the shooting anywhere, all it will do is fuel the fantasies of other psychos, and his face and name shouldn't be anywhere - his trial should be suppressed - respect the dead by ignoring the evil troll that killed them.

he deserves worse than whatever he gets, but the most fitting punishment for a person like that is to deny the attention they crave, to forget them.

I doubt there would be any ISIS terrorists hanging out in mosques in NZ, it's not exactly an ISIS hotbed like Syria or Iraq, the people that were killed were more likely innocent, peaceful Muslims, like the victims of ISIS terrorist attacks are more likely innocent, peaceful white people rather than white supremacist nutjobs.

I don't really care about how much the creature suffers, he will spend the rest of his days in prison which is enough for me.

I am more concerned about him getting his way. He wanted to exploit divisions, escalate cultural conflicts. I hope there are no copycats, no revenge attacks from the other side, and that unity in the face of evil is the priority.
Doesn't deserve the luxury of prison. Should be left to rot in the middle of nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back