Status
Not open for further replies.

GldGoldy

Senior List
Apr 14, 2009
Warragul
AFL Club
Richmond
As one of our players, Bachar Houli is a well known Muslim and respected member of the Melbourne Muslim community I suggest in the game versus Carlton both teams as a sign of unity have a minutes silence before the game to honour the lives that are lost and all players to wear armbands as a tribute from the football world here in Australia.

Thoughts?

Can't say how or why but I've seen the entire shooting/massacre video.
Absolutely disgustingly unbelievable. It was exactly like watching a video game but it will haunt the people and families involved forever.
To say it was a cowardice act is being too harsh to cowards. It was non-human.

I know it was a moron targeting Muslims but quite honestly the human race was the real target.

yes

i don't support any religion but i support all decent people. we should definitely show some support after this horrible event, we have an obligation to show support on the big stage especially with someone like bachar at our club

we need to destroy the scum, and i'm not talking about carltoon or colonwood for once

because the nrl has done it, the afl will too

Not necessarily, the NRL has a New Zealand team, the AFL does not. No doubt the NRL did a minutes silences in the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake but does anyone remember if the AFL did? Did 9/11 get a minutes silence? (Be shocked if it didn't?). I know individuals have eg John McCarthy, Phillip Walsh, but just wondering what's the history of the AFL and minute silences for disasters that happen in foreign countries?

As one of our players, Bachar Houli is a well known Muslim and respected member of the Melbourne Muslim community I suggest in the game versus Carlton both teams as a sign of unity have a minutes silence before the game to honour the lives that are lost and all players to wear armbands as a tribute from the football world here in Australia.

Thoughts?
If Round 1 was this week then maybe. If someone in the team was from Christchurch sure. I'm not a Muslim and I don't know what is appropriate at all as far as mourning, or making statements about these issues. If Houli and Saad want to lead something then by all means let them. Any other Muslims playing?
Instead of silence why not blast out a minute of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. Just to remind us of the Nazi influence

Last edited:
Not necessarily, the NRL has a New Zealand team, the AFL does not. No doubt the NRL did a minutes silences in the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake but does anyone remember if the AFL did? Did 9/11 get a minutes silence? (Be shocked if it didn't?). I know individuals have eg John McCarthy, Phillip Walsh, but just wondering what's the history of the AFL and minute silences for disasters that happen in foreign countries?
sept 11 attacks would've been during the finals, anyone remember? i was in the u.k. so i dont know

Well I’m a Board Member of AFL NZ. We have leagues in Christchurch and we have been impacted directly by this terrible act. Bachar will be doing something special tomorrow. We are not a big player in an AFL sense, but I know the AFL has been fantastic around Anzac Day and the Wellington games, and the playing of the NZ anthem at the G on Anzac Day. Let’s wait and see.

Haere Ra

Sure this act wasn’t in our country but it was by the hands of an Australian. By doing such things as this it is us standing together with New Zealand and saying no to this and that we don’t condone such acts.

Sadly when you type Grafton NSW into google your top results will now be this Christchurch terror attack as this towns name is now tarnished.

Every opportunity we get we should all step forward to do so to honour those whose lives that were lost, standing together with New Zealand in unity as we together say no. This attack geographically may of been in New Zealand but its an issue worldwide that effects us all and that we don’t condone such behaviour.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it was a matter of time, sadly, before a reprisal terror attack in the West.
I was in Europe at the time of the Nice truck attack in July and met someone from there.
There are some no-go zones for westerners in Marseilles, I was told, a fatal stabbing at the railway station.
There would be one minute's silence at the footy, I would guess, and of course enhanced security cordons at venues.

I was at the final v Carlton after 9/11. There was a minutes silence and Frawley talked about how down everyone felt in the lead up.

I was also at a Sydney v bulldog final after lady Di and there was a minute silence then too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess it was a matter of time, sadly, before a reprisal terror attack in the West.
I was in Europe at the time of the Nice truck attack in July and met someone from there.
There are some no-go zones for westerners in Marseilles, I was told, a fatal stabbing at the railway station.
There would be one minute's silence at the footy, I would guess, and of course enhanced security cordons at venues.

And we were already a terror target of ******* radical Islamic campaigners now times that by 1000

Have given it some more thought. If we do do something, be it a minutes silence or whatever, I hope it's not simply because Muslims were attacked and Houli is a Muslim. The inference is that if this gunman had attacked a christian church for example we would be doing nothing (as puzzling as that might be considering how many players and club employees would be Christian). Likewise it would mean by that logic that if a Kingdom Hall were attacked and having the highest profile Jehovah Witness in the league in Alex Rance we'd be balls deep Again the religious affiliations of the players or staff should not be a consideration in any decision and I trust it won't be. It's too arbitrary, too random and there is too much room for perceived hypocrisy.

I think there are some murky waters here. For example if a Christian church is attacked in retaliation with large numbers killed (as has been common practice by Muslim terrorists around the world), would we also have a minutes silence for them, and if not why not? As recently as late January 20 people were killed in a cathedral in the southern Philippines by bombs planted by Islamic fundametalist. To my knowledge neither the AFL nor the NRL nor the Richmond Football Club made any statements in regards to that attack. The response might be 'well it's different, it's New Zealand'. Well, they are constantly reminding us that they are not Australians. They tell themselves, they tell us, they tell the world and act offended if they are mistaken for Australians to be point where it all becomes kind of wearisome. It's a foreign country, that just can't be ignored as a consideration. Just because something happens in New Zealand doesn't mean we automatically respond as if it were in Australia.

Finally, some have argued we should do something because it was done by an Australian. Over 200 Australian muslims have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight for Isis. No doubt a significant number have participated in despicable acts of rape, torture and murder. When the final figure is worked out (if ever) will we have a minutes silence for this in recognition of the culpability of Australian passport holders in ISIS's crimes against humanity? And if not why not? Not totally against the idea, but there will be more attacks in the future, probably very nearby. And to be honest I don't feel any more personally attached to the victims of Christchurch than I do to those in the Phillipines, or the Mid-east or Europe. But fine do it, but having set the precedent be prepared to keep on doing it on a regular basis, this isn't stopping anytime soon.

Last edited:
Have given it some more thought. If we do do something, be it a minutes silence or whatever, I hope it's not simply because Muslims were attacked and Houli is a Muslim. The inference is that if this gunman had attacked a christian church for example we would be doing nothing (as puzzling as that might be considering how many players and club employees would be Christian). Likewise it would mean by that logic that if a Kingdom Hall were attacked and having the highest profile Jehovah Witness in the league in Alex Rance we'd be balls deep Again the religious affiliations of the players or staff should not be a consideration in any decision and I trust it won't be. It's too arbitrary, too random and there is too much room for perceived hypocrisy.

I think there are some murky waters here. For example if a Christian church is attacked in retaliation with large numbers killed (as has been common practice by Muslim terrorists around the world), would we also have a minutes silence for them, and if not why not? As recently as late January 20 people were killed in a cathedral in the southern Philippines by bombs planted by Islamic fundametalist. To my knowledge neither the AFL nor the NRL nor the Richmond Football Club made any statements in regards to that attack. The response might be 'well it's different, it's New Zealand'. Well, they are constantly reminding us that they are not Australians. They tell themselves, they tell us, they tell world and act offended if they are mistaken for Australians to be point where it all becomes kind of wearisome. It's a foreign country, that just can't be ignored as a consideration. Just because something happens in New Zealand doesn't mean we automatically respond as if it were in Australia.

Finally, some have argued we should do something because it was done by an Australian. Over 200 Australian muslims have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight for Isis. No doubt a significant number have participated in despicable acts of rape, torture and murder. When the final figure is worked out (if ever) will we have a minutes silence for this in recognition of the culpability of Australian passport holders in ISIS's crimes against humanity? And if not why not? Not totally against the idea, but there will be more attacks in the future, probably very nearby. And to be honest I don't feel any more personally attached to the victims of Christchurch than I do to those in the Phillipines, or the Mid-east or Europe. But fine do it, but having set the precedent be prepared to keep on doing it on a regular basis, this isn't stopping anytime soon.
Atrocities have been committed by all sides of all denominations. NZ is much closer to home than anywhere else, and 50 people is an awful lot. So it is almost in our own backyard so to speak, so people feel more attached. Should we feel any less attached when 'we' bomb a wedding ceremony in Afghanistan and kill everyone there due to shoddy intelligence (which has happened so many times), it seems we do. Not sure why, but it seems human nature to empathise more with things closer to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back