Recommitted Christian Petracca [re-signs for two more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
He's been consistent the last couple of years in his role in the forward line.

Bit clueless on your part.
Really? Didn't kick a goal in 7 of the 22 games last year which isn't great for someone who only managed over 20 disposals 10 times (including 3 20 possie games). Can have big quarters and/or halves but then goes missing.
Clueless would be thinking clubs will 'come hard for him now' off the back of a practice match.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really? Didn't kick a goal in 7 of the 22 games last year which isn't great for someone who only managed over 20 disposals 10 times (including 3 20 possie games). Can have big quarters and/or halves but then goes missing.
Clueless would be thinking clubs will 'come hard for him now' off the back of a practice match.

Youre right.

We should have taken Brayshaw at pick 2.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s over the top to suggest off the back of one pre season game that he’s the next Dusty/Danger. However he’s never been in this shape before. Word from the club is that he finally has his act together. Let’s see how the next few months play out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Marsh Cup Rd 1 was more like it. Has played 4 full years of footy now and should play his 100th this year, he's not some raw kid. He's 24 and came into the AFL built like a brick shithouse.

So far he's averaged 19 touches and just under a goal a game. It's good, but not great. Has never had 30 touches in a senior game, has never kicked more than 4, and has polled Brownlow votes 3 times in 85 games. Compare that to Jordan De Goey who gets less of the ball in general but kicks more goals. He's has 30+ touches twice, kicked bags of 5 and 6 goals and polled Brownlow votes 10 times. You aren't surprised if you hear that De Goey was BOG in a Pies game.

My biggest criticism has been that he has been too heavy. 186cm and 96kg robs him of mobility and he's not big enough to be a key forward target. He looks a bit leaner so I don't know if he's dropped any kg but looks less fat on TV. I'm not expecting him to regularly get 38 touches but he is the sort of player who should be putting up 20 touches & 3/4 goals, the odd 30 touch game, the odd 5 goal game and having a real impact. Similar to how Gray/Wingard were at Port impacting the game in different ways.

Bloke has serious talent and Melbourne already made a prelim without him reaching his potential.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Interesting timing coming off a 38 possession game. Why not wait until a few games into the season and see if you can push your value up?

Word is it's been done for some time and the club were just waiting for an opportune time to announce it and after his performance on the weekend it's a pretty good time to build excitement for the season.

DeeTrain

Rookie
Mar 22, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was false, or you believe it to be false?

The information i heard was sourced from his immediate family, but by the time it got to me it was already 3rd/4th hand information, so i can't be confident enough to present it as fact (although i trust the person who told it to me)

I’ll hazard a guess and say it was Juddy’s sisters brothers Aunty ?

another know it all nuffbag!

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting timing coming off a 38 possession game. Why not wait until a few games into the season and see if you can push your value up?

Like most players these days his next contract ends when he becomes a free agent. Players are targeting this deal more and more as a big payday and can’t blame them, maximise your worth whilst still in the game.

Petracca cops it unfairly on here imo. Hopefully takes a step up this year in his 6th season (Year one was a writeoff due to his knee). Dusty didn’t become elite until his 8th season, GAJ his 6th.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I know, but the media love to manufacture some speculation. If Petracca starts the season with a couple of BOGs and is out of contract you just know that a 'is he the next $1m man?' type article is coming from some peanut like Ralphy.

All FA really means is that players don't tend to sign deals that take them past 8 years unless it's 4-5 years past. Josh Kelly signed a two year deal, Andrew Gaff reportedly a long term contract with a 2 year exit marker. You can still maximise your earnings for the duration of the contracts that you do sign. If I was a player I'd probably want to get it done now or leave it until the off season. Getting asked in every press conference would be a pain in the dick.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Word is it's been done for some time and the club were just waiting for an opportune time to announce it and after his performance on the weekend it's a pretty good time to build excitement for the season.
Was going to say the same. There was word later last year this was a done deal to be announced pre season.

NoPositiveTests!

Debutant
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ll hazard a guess and say it was Juddy’s sisters brothers Aunty ?

another know it all nuffbag!
Good signing for the Dees. But I don't think I've been proven wrong at all, and I qualified my statements. (btw I assume you are also accusing the 2 Melbourne posters in this thread who also suggested he was disgruntled as being 'nuffbags')?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Like most players these days his next contract ends when he becomes a free agent. Players are targeting this deal more and more as a big payday and can’t blame them, maximise your worth whilst still in the game.

Petracca cops it unfairly on here imo. Hopefully takes a step up this year in his 6th season (Year one was a writeoff due to his knee). Dusty didn’t become elite until his 8th season, GAJ his 6th.
Dusty averaged 31 touches, won a b&f and was an AA in his 7th year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back