Recommitted Christian Petracca [out of contract 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that he rates above average in most of those stats you've thrown out I'm not sure you know what you're actually talking about.

There's also nothing wrong with is field kicking.

He's also a forward who has stints in the midfield, not a midfielder.
Yeh you’re right. His game is perfect except his goal kicking.

Yeh you’re right. His game is perfect except his goal kicking.
His field kicking is fine.

His kicking foal goal is ******* horrendous. And in games like against West Coast where his first thought is to handball instead of kicking from 25m out, you know his confidence is shot too

His field kicking is fine.

His kicking foal goal is ******* horrendous. And in games like against West Coast where his first thought is to handball instead of kicking from 25m out, you know his confidence is shot too

Kicking from distance is pretty good, pots them from 50 but goes to crap inside 30m.

People judge him way too harshly because they put massive expectations on him.

Without trying to sound harsh I don't see anyone being overly critical in their assessments of him at all and aren't saying anything that hasn't proven to be the case in his career to date.

He's not going to end up being the player that you were hoping for when he was drafted, whether or not it's the current system he's in is another topic entirely.

Realistically he's worth a late first to mid second or if you find a club willing to enter a trade that has an early to mid first then you'll possibly need to send your second along with him.

He's almost played 100 games and can't hide behind the label of 'future potential' any longer, what you see is what you get.

It honestly is a shame but sometimes that's just the way it is 😁

Proberbly one of the most over rated footballers out there.

Based on current output I'd definitely agree with this, I think he needs a change of environment but even then there's every chance he won't improve his game any further.

This is spot on. He just seems to be having confidence issues. In 2017 kicked 26.6.

So in 2017 his output equaled that of an average AFL small forward?

Yeah nothing to see here folks everything's fine.

Seriously though why isn't he being played as a midfielder?

So in 2017 his output equaled that of an average AFL small forward?

Yeah nothing to see here folks everything's fine.

Seriously though why isn't he being played as a midfielder?
It’s a good question. I think he’s too heavy and maybe doesn’t have the tank. Also team balance perhaps. Although I’d like to see him swap in with Clarry and Harmes more. Could be quite a powerful midfielder. I say he needs to follow Clarry around next pre season.

It’s a good question. I think he’s too heavy and maybe doesn’t have the tank. Also team balance perhaps. Although I’d like to see him swap in with Clarry and Harmes more. Could be quite a powerful midfielder. I say he needs to follow Clarry around next pre season.

He's always been too big and to be entirely honest I felt that he was overrated due to being a manchild and in turn drafted earlier than he should have been.

It's easy to be a powerhouse forward/midfielder against underagers when you've got 20kgs on them all.

Also if he's been in an AFL system for 5 years now without managing to trim down his overly large physique and develop a suitable tank allowing him to play his best suited position then that's also a major concern.

The first thing he should have done after injuring his ACL back in 2015 is lose 10kgs and when able to hit the track and build that sputtering tank of his so he could hit the ground running in 2016 and have an impact.

Regardless of whether he's utilized as a forward or a midfielder moving forward he needs to trim down his body and beef up his tank at a minimum.

Could a change of environment be the best thing for both club and player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's always been too big and to be entirely honest I felt that he was overrated due to being a manchild and in turn drafted earlier than he should have been.

It's easy to be a powerhouse forward/midfielder against underagers when you've got 20kgs on them all.

Also if he's been in an AFL system for 5 years now without managing to trim down his overly large physique and develop a suitable tank allowing him to play his best suited position then that's also a major concern.

The first thing he should have done after injuring his ACL back in 2015 is lose 10kgs and when able to hit the track and build that sputtering tank of his so he could hit the ground running in 2016 and have an impact.

Regardless of whether he's utilized as a forward or a midfielder moving forward he needs to trim down his body and beef up his tank at a minimum.

Could a change of environment be the best thing for both club and player?
I’ve said this year it wouldn’t surprise me if he is traded at some point. I don’t necessarily want him to be traded mind you.
I also think the knee he did in his first pre season didn’t help. Just got him more bulked up. As I said prior, he needs to get some habits like Clarry off the field.

I’ve said this year it wouldn’t surprise me if he is traded at some point. I don’t necessarily want him to be traded mind you.
I also think the knee he did in his first pre season didn’t help. Just got him more bulked up. As I said prior, he needs to get some habits like Clarry off the field.

Yeah it's definitely a tough situation and would no doubt be frustrating as a supporter.

Hopefully it all works out for you guys 😁

Pettracca is crying out for a change in environment. He would be a great fit at Sydney and perhaps getting out of the fishbowl and under the 'Bloods' culture would work well.

Problem is, Melbourne are stuck. His value isn't really going to be worth trading him when you consider he is still only 23 years of age and obviously has a *load of talent.

IMO, Melbourne should look to move Brayshaw for a forward, ie Gunston, Ben Brown, and play Petracca more through the middle next year. Seeing Brayshaw play off a wing is a total waste and suggests, rightly, Melbourne is well stocked for inside mids.

Pettracca is crying out for a change in environment. He would be a great fit at Sydney and perhaps getting out of the fishbowl and under the 'Bloods' culture would work well.

Problem is, Melbourne are stuck. His value isn't really going to be worth trading him when you consider he is still only 23 years of age and obviously has a ****load of talent.

IMO, Melbourne should look to move Brayshaw for a forward, ie Gunston, Ben Brown, and play Petracca more through the middle next year. Seeing Brayshaw play off a wing is a total waste and suggests, rightly, Melbourne is well stocked for inside mids.
I think Goodwin finally realised Brayshaw needs to play inside. He did last week. Interesting to see if he keeps him there now.

I think Goodwin finally realised Brayshaw needs to play inside. He did last week. Interesting to see if he keeps him there now.

Could it perhaps be a case of protecting him because of the multiple concussions he's sustained so early into his career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back