Christian Porter

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Interesting a very colourful identity has appointed The Christian as his silk in his HC defo appeal. Don't think The Christian has practiced law for yonks.
Who was the Christian involved in suing for defamation?

Who is Mick suing for defamation?

Is it that hard to work out why he has engaged him to be part of the team?

mill204

Better off said.
Feb 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who was the Christian involved in suing for defamation?

Who is Mick suing for defamation?

Is it that hard to work out why he has engaged him to be part of the team?
It's not hard to ascertain the defo information, which I'm surmising you are across by virtue of your last question which I've given a reason for in my post.

This, ALP getting re-elected is 50/50 imo.

The only other problem with ICAC is it's funding will come from the Federal government, which will then investigate the Federal government.

Still very much reeks of "We've investigated ourselves and found we didn't do anything wrong".

But I have no idea how to get around that.
Independant ICAC, funding written into legislation.
Members appointed by a citizen jury.
Just a quick stab at it.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Independant ICAC, funding written into legislation.
Members appointed by a citizen jury.
Just a quick stab at it.
That’s what it needs for sure.

Id like to see it set up so that each state gets a say so that wa, vic, sa, tas can outvote qld and nsw on how its funded and staffed

Qld and nsw seem to have this idea that corruption is just a part and parcel of political life.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This, ALP getting re-elected is 50/50 imo.

The only other problem with ICAC is it's funding will come from the Federal government, which will then investigate the Federal government.

Still very much reeks of "We've investigated ourselves and found we didn't do anything wrong".

But I have no idea how to get around that.
Tie fed ICAC funding to % of GDP, after use of a referendum to confirm they should, or try to specifically word the bill - with legal advice from constitutional lawyers, to ensure that the bill wouldn't be overturned when the moneyed interests seek to take it to the high court - so that any alteration to ICAC funding would require a 75-80% affirmative vote in both houses of parliament.

This citizen jury, what sort of knowledge/qualification is needed to be a member of this quasi elite.
Same a as normal jury.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Tie fed ICAC funding to % of GDP, after use of a referendum to confirm they should, or try to specifically word the bill - with legal advice from constitutional lawyers, to ensure that the bill wouldn't be overturned when the moneyed interests seek to take it to the high court - so that any alteration to ICAC funding would require a 75-80% affirmative vote in both houses of parliament.
They won't want to waste/risk a referendum on it.
It's a while since I studied con law, but I doubt that there is any effective way for Parliament to bind future Parliaments in the way/s suggested.
And it won't be just monied interests taking it to the High Court, it will be the subjects of investigations. As is, and should be, their right.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
FXmwj9NVEAMF_CG

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
If one jury was to appoint all members, elite is appropriate.

I have seen jurors interviewed/challenged in the US & have no idea if it is a practice here.
There is no interview process of jurors here as you see in Grisham movies.

The exact process of jury selection differs from state to state. Potential jurors for a trial are selected randomly from the jury pool. Both the prosecution and defence can challenge (reject) a juror without giving reasons. They are each allowed a maximum of three challenges.

If one jury was to appoint all members, elite is appropriate.

I have seen jurors interviewed/challenged in the US & have no idea if it is a practice here.
Going off half cocked at all?

Read up on what Citizen Jury entails.
It's not 12 white people hand selected in the deep south.

Members of the ICAC would need to be replaced, refreshed etc.
A different Jury (not limited to 12, could be 1200) would be selected randomly from the population who would consider and vote on a suite of nominated candidates.
Candidates could be nominated by anybody.

This is just spit balling.

Surely you could do better than nay say every suggestion, even contribute your own.

Give me 12 months and decent salary and I will work out a very effect way to appoint a representative of the overall country.
Initially of course a number will have to be appointed. That number will depend on how the ICAC itself is designed.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Going off half cocked a all?

Read up on what Citizen Jury entails.
It's not 12 white people hand selected in the deep south.

Members of the ICAC would need to be replaced, refreshed etc.
A different Jury (not limited to 12, could be 1200) would be selected randomly from the population who would consider and vote on a suite of nominated candidates.
Candidates could be nominated by anybody.

This is just spit balling.

Surely you could do better than nay say every suggestion, even contribute your own.

Give me 12 months and decent salary and I will work out a very effect way to appoint a representative of the overall country.
Initially of course a number will have to be appointed. That number will depend on how the ICAC itself is designed.
I did not reply to your post, having assumed your suggestion would not be one jury appointing everyone.

Such a giveaway using elite as a pejorative.
Maybe the same qualifications as to become a government minister. None.

Own Goal Porter just keeps kicking own goals. To think this guy was the senior legal officer of the land.
Amongst Liberals since dumped he is pretty well top of the heap.
That says a lot.
Look at the total s**t they have in opposition.

The "Z" team.

Back