List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is for discussion on all the potential draftees, their relative merits or otherwise, who you’d like to take and why

Please try to keep this thread free of potential trades or delistings and keep it focused on the 2022 draft cohort

Go here List Mgmt. - Contract and trade discussion - 2022 off season edition

to discuss broader list management or trade issues

CONTINUED IN THE DRAFT THREAD:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gone full circle on draftee preference now, from Wardlaw to Phillipou to Tsatas back to Wardlaw.

Reasons:
  • Culley and Wardlaw, midfield nucleus for the next 10-12 years.
  • Higher availability of outside mids in the second round compared to inside mids.
  • Drafted two outside mids in Chesser and Hough last year.
  • Don't need to trade for Robertson. Culley, Wardlaw, L.Edwards, O'Neill, Clark is a good young nucleus; we could use pick 38 on Gilbey instead.

- Emphasis on Culley and Wardlaw as a duo. Could potentially be one of the best inside mid combinations in the league in 3-4 years. Their play styles would complement each other nicely, Culley being physically dominant and Wardlaw more explosive around contests. Both tackling machines as well.

- Wardlaw's hamstring's are the only real risks associated with him. Hopefully with an improved S&C team next year they can get his body right.

Last edited:

I like the idea of this thread, but it will be challenging keeping it separate form the trades one. Trades involve draft picks which leads to people arguing whether the traded player or potential draftee is better. Next thing you know, you're arguing whether we take a mid of KPD at pick 2.

Pretty massive risk now though.
He's basically missed 75% of the year because of his continued injuries.
Agree it's a risk. I'd like the club to have enough faith in themselves to get his body right though. There's been plenty of times mids have had injuries in there draft years and had great careers. Judd's shoulder injury which we fortunate enough to benefit from and Selwood's knee injury which saw him slide to the Cats comes to mind.

Gone full circle on draftee preference now, from Wardlaw to Phillipou to Tsatas back to Wardlaw.

Reasons:
  • Culley and Wardlaw, midfield nucleus for the next 10-12 years.
  • Higher availability of outside mids in the second round compared to inside mids.
  • Drafted two outside mids in Chesser and Hough last year.
  • Don't need to trade for Robertson. Culley, Wardlaw, L.Edwards, O'Neill is a good young nucleus; we could use pick 38 on Gilbey instead.

- Emphasis on Culley and Wardlaw as a duo. Could potentially be one of the best inside mid combinations in the league in 3-4 years. Their play styles would complement each other nicely, Culley being physically dominant and Wardlaw more explosive around contests. Both tackling machines as well.

- Wardlaw's hamstring's are the only real risks associated with him. Hopefully with an improved S&C team next year they can get his body right.
I agree. I'd like to take the risk on him. Biggest potential to be the standout mid. No need to rush him into the team, just get his hammys right.
Hopefully once he is in a professional environment he will be right.
Our track record with injury management over the last couple of years hasn't been great (understatement) but I think you need to back yourselves in and take the best talent. Our S&C deficiency has been highlighted several times recently so surely they will review and put in place improvements.

+1 on Wardlaw. If we can’t manage an 18 year old’s hammy, our issues run much deeper. We should not be selected an inferior player at the top of the draft based on incompetency in another department (which I read we will be addressing). If we see him as a the standout selection, we must take him and fix the support system to our entire list’s benefit.

It’s not uncommon for a junior to struggle with soft tissue injuries in junior systems without AFL-quality systems (appreciating the above) when pushing themselves in their draft year. I’d hazard a guess to say the vast majority turn it around at senior level.

Edit: what Hook said.

I like the idea of this thread, but it will be challenging keeping it separate form the trades one. Trades involve draft picks which leads to people arguing whether the traded player or potential draftee is better. Next thing you know, you're arguing whether we take a mid of KPD at pick 2.

My hope is that this thread can focus on discussion of the draftees, their strengths and weaknesses etc so it becomes a resource for posters to see the choices we have come the draft

And to do that without having to wade through often circular arguments about what our needs are, who should be delisted, hypothetical trades which can be the role of the other thread.

I and the other mods won’t be shy in moving (or deleting) any posts that stray from that goal

I don't think it should be all that surprising that an 18 year old both hasn't rehabbed his soft tissue injuries adequately but has also rushed himself to get back out there because he's clearly in the best handful of players in the country and wants to show his wares.

Id be comfortable with the Warlord, despite our suggested inclination to favour the injured yoof with our early picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Top 10….have watched most of these guys a few times so its just based on that sample of evidence. I’m not suggesting we take the Buss at pick 2 either!!!!

1. Phillipou. So much upside, modern day mid,big,skillful,classy
2. Busslinger. Best Key Position player in the draft from what i have seen
3. Ashcroft. Lions
4. Wardlaw. Probably at 4 for me cause of Hammy issues and the one game i saw of him wasn’t blown away
5. Hewitt. VIC Metro game seriously outstanding, solid for swans at league level last week. Wonder if he was sick/injured during drop off in other state games. Could easily slide out of top 10 if he’s just inconsistent
6. The Cheezel. X factor and smarts, drops down to 6 for me cause I haven’t seen him really play much midfield time in the games i watched
7. Tsatas. Disappointed in the vs Pies game but we have since heard he was carrying injury then. One that could go higher if he continues like last weekend
8. Mackenzie. Could easily swap positions with Hewitt if I’m wrong about Hewitt being injured/sick in his poor state games
9. Cadman. Kicking biggest issue otherwise would be higher
10. Clarke. Consistent and played well in the games I’ve seen of him. Just looks a little vanilla

Athletics and bball background, good size + production... IMHO if we stay at 2 he is the pick. Back problems need diagnosis, but otherwise pairing Phillipou with Culley offers us 2 bif inside mids with goal kicking tendencies.

New thread, but I still want Sheezel. Has Connor Rozee vibes, and will kick goals while playing deep or pushing into the midfield.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...t-************-espn-phantom-draft-first-round

Interesting that Hewitt is at 13.

Suggests splitting pick 2 for say 6 and 12 might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back