Not open for further replies.

TerryFilk

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast

IN 2023​

1. Harley Reid (Vic Country)​

What can’t he do? The 185cm boy from Tongala has played through the midfield, in defence and in the forward line this year and has impacted in every position. He looks up to AFL midfielder-forwards Paddy Dangerfield, Nat Fyfe and Christian Petracca and is a similarly good overhead mark as well as possessing explosive speed and silky skills. Recruiters say he would be ready to be drafted this year if he were eligible.

2. Ashton Moir (South Australia)​

A 186cm half-forward, Moir excites both in the air and at ground level. The Glenelg product is described by recruiters as “a star” who is in the mix to be the No. 1 draft pick next year. Moir kicked 30 goals from 10 SANFL under-18 games this year and starred with shot up draft boards when he booted four goals for South Australia as a bottom-age player in the under-18 national championships against Western Australia in July.

3. Nick Watson (Vic Metro)​

The Eastern Ranges product is being nicknamed ‘Wizard Watson’, given his incredible abilities around goal. The small forward averaged 2.6 goals from 11.9 disposals across seven NAB League games this season, while also playing three under-18 games for Vic Metro as a bottom-age player and kicking five goals. He only stands 169cm but Watson is quick, agile and can take a mark.

4. Colby McKercher (Allies)​

A midfielder from Tasmania with a nice left-foot kick, recruiters describe McKercher as a quicker version of Essendon’s Zach Merrett. While some of his games later in the year were not as good as what he produced earlier in the season, McKercher is still viewed as a top prospect for next year and was among the best players for Team Houli in the Under 17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final Day with 20 disposals and four clearances.

5. Jed Walter (Allies)​

A 195cm key forward, Walter has shown plenty in his bottom-age year. A member of the Gold Coast Suns Academy, he is an athletic big man who works hard and has a physical presence in the air. Walter managed just eight disposals and four marks in the Under 17 Futures game, but had averaged 9.3 disposals and 2.3 goals across four under 18 national championships games for the Allies.

Zane Duursma has a serious highlights reel. Picture: Getty Images

Zane Duursma has a serious highlights reel. Picture: Getty Images

6. Zane Duursma (Vic Country)​

The brother of Port Adelaide’s Xavier Duursmais a very exciting mobile forward or midfielder who is a good size at 188cm. The Gippsland Power product averaged 15.5 disposals and 2.2 goals across 14 NAB League matches as a bottom-age player this year, while also playing two game of the under 18 national championships for Vic Country. He has “pure ability” and his highlights reel is already quite special.

7. Archer Reid (Vic Country)​

A versatile tall with a great overhead mark, Reid shapes as one of the top key position players in next year’s draft. Standing 201cm, he is the brother of Essendon defender Zach Reid but is much better suited as a forward at the other end. He reads the play well and is good for a big man below his knees.

8. Nate Caddy (Vic Metro)​

The nephew of two-time Richmond premiership player Josh Caddy, the 190cm forward looks a handy player of the future. He has strong hands overhead, is athletic and presents well. He averaged 14.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 1.4 goals across 13 NAB League games for the Northern Knights this year. Good running ability and footy smarts have also seen Caddy used as a tall midfielder at stages this year.

9. Mitchell Edwards (Western Australia)​

A 205cm giant, the Peel Thunder product is part of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy and shapes as one of Western Australia’s top draft prospects for next year. The athletic ruckman featured in all four games of the under 18 national championships for his state this year, averaging 11 disposals, 1.8 marks and 18.5 hit-outs. He also impressed throughout the year in the WAFL Colts.

10. Daniel Curtin (Western Australia)​

A 195cm key position player, Curtin won the medal as the best player on the ground in the Under 17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final day. He played across halfback in that match and showed off his agility and sound decision making, but recruiters have also liked what he has shown as a forward this year with Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

Attachments​

I just want Harley Reid, he will be SPECIAL.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I am liking that Port are willing to look at offers for pick 8. Why? Because it will be used in a trade somewhere and hopefully becomes loose.

If it goes to GWS - it is gettable.

If it goes to Freo - they trade it to Melbourne

If it goes to Melbourne - they may use it or trade it to Pies

If it goes to Brisbane, they trade it to Dogs to get Dunkley

get the theme - it will be the active pick and with that comes opportunity. Like pick 6 was back in 2018. It had the hand of unlocking the deals for Neale, May and Hogan and finally got Ben King in the draft.

Another radical trade!!!

Rioli and pick 2 for pick 8 plus Ports future first (somewhere from 8 to 15) and a future third (say 30)

• why for us? Yes it delays the rebuild but gets us a decent balanced midfield at 8 (Phillipou, Clark, MacKenzie) and the players we want at 20 and 26 and 38 then it gives us a massive advantage in 2023 with 2 x R1, 2x R2, 1 x R3. We would likely have enough ammunition in points to get the Suns first rounder in 2023 and go for gold with 3 x first rounders. And that ladies and gentlemen is how you build a dynasty
  • Port could use it or sell it to Fremantle or Richmond as a gem in their trades done

Last edited:

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Tbh I’m not sure why anyone would be too angry at that, starting a rebuild by making sure your spine is good isn’t the worst idea and it’s not like we won’t be able to get a good midfielder at 20 or like we won’t be able to use our 2nds to get up a few spots for Hewett, Ginbey, Hollands or Hotton etc.

Next years draft cohort is great for midfielders too.

Also just to clarify Cadman wouldn’t be my choice, I just wouldn’t mind if he was the clubs choice, I’d understand their train of thought.
Well we have a pretty good set of talls down back, good age range too.
The KPFs are a bit thinner but darling is durable, Oallen is coming back from injury, the willams's are cover. Sure a young star would be nice but we need every other position more

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

TerryFilk

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Well we have a pretty good set of talls down back, good age range too.
The KPFs are a bit thinner but darling is durable, Oallen is coming back from injury, the willams's are cover. Sure a young star would be nice but we need every other position more

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree to an extent hence why he wouldn’t be my first choice, but Darling is 31 in June and you don’t want to find his replacement in 3 years time where they’ll then take another 2-4 years to develop.

Jack Williams could be something but there’s also a decent chance he won’t be anything noteworthy

I love Oscar but he seems to be quite injury prone, Cadman and Allen actually fit really nicely together imo

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I am liking that Port are willing to look at offers for pick 8. Why? Because it will be used in a trade somewhere and hopefully becomes loose.

get the theme - it will be the active pick and with that comes opportunity. Like pick 6 was back in 2018. It had the hand of unlocking the deals for Neale, May and Hogan and finally got Ben King in the draft.

Another radical trade!!!

Rioli and pick 2 for pick 8 plus Ports future first (somewhere from 8 to 15) and a future third (say 30)

• why for us? Yes it delays the rebuild but gets us a decent balanced midfield at 8 (Phillipou, Clark, MacKenzie) and the players we want at 20 and 26 and 38 then it gives us a massive advantage in 2023 with 2 x R1, 2x R2, 1 x R3. We would likely have enough ammunition in points to get the Suns first rounder in 2023 and go for gold with 3 x first rounders. And that ladies and gentlemen is how you build a dynasty
  • Port could use it or sell it to Fremantle or Richmond as a gem in their trades done
Where did we get the second R2 pick from for 2023? We have two R2 this year.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
C

Another radical trade!!!

Would rather Port trade 8 to Freo for 13 and the North 2023 PP Freo will get for Logue.

Rioli for that North 2023 PP 2nd rounder.

SumaGodCoach

How so?
Aug 1, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks, Bayern Munich
Where did we get the second R2 pick from for 2023? We have two R2 this year.
Future 3rd(say 30) is a typo, I think he means Future 2nd, although you can't trade your future 1st and future 2nd in the same year so I dunno.

Westcoast88

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree to an extent hence why he wouldn’t be my first choice, but Darling is 31 in June and you don’t want to find his replacement in 3 years time where they’ll then take another 2-4 years to develop.

Jack Williams could be something but there’s also a decent chance he won’t be anything noteworthy

I love Oscar but he seems to be quite injury prone, Cadman and Allen actually fit really nicely together imo
Well said, those who say we are not in need of key forwards dont recognise the loss of Kennedy and Darlings age as you correctly point out. Also valid point key forwards take more time to develop then mids. Really Allen is all we have around when we are next in the window, Darling will be gone so we need to pre plan. As I have said on here before, some cannot see that far out, we must have a long term mindset, its very obvious to me which posters have a long term mindset and which dont.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe a touch, however his Championships were in the main underwhelming, he had a few patches in a couple of games, but he wasn't the impact player that most ( myself included ) were expecting from him.
He certainly never captured the form and had the impact that he had shown in the Colts 2021 season in general and the Finals in particular.
He was the difference between Swan Districts winning the close encounter with Claremont, had he not played in the GF ...... then Claremont win the flag.

He did have Covid and was affected by it, so with out being closer to the medical intel, it's hard to know just how he may have been impacted and the severity of it on his general fitness.

He is just another player that has questions associated with health issues, that have seen their draft stocks, either slide or be questioned.

Weird year is this draft cohort.

I was on the Hewett bandwagon before the start of the year, then you watch that one championship game and think, whoa this kid is top 5 easy. Then he disappears for a few games, if Covid is a reason, it would certainly rocket him back up the order again.

Aug 23, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe a touch, however his Championships were in the main underwhelming, he had a few patches in a couple of games, but he wasn't the impact player that most ( myself included ) were expecting from him.
He certainly never captured the form and had the impact that he had shown in the Colts 2021 season in general and the Finals in particular.
He was the difference between Swan Districts winning the close encounter with Claremont, had he not played in the GF ...... then Claremont win the flag.

He did have Covid and was affected by it, so with out being closer to the medical intel, it's hard to know just how he may have been impacted and the severity of it on his general fitness.

He is just another player that has questions associated with health issues, that have seen their draft stocks, either slide or be questioned.

Weird year is this draft cohort.
He’s also along with Hagen and Ginbey played mainly League footy.

WAFL league is far superior to Nab so it’s going to be tough getting numbers like some of the Vic 18s boys do.

If his championships were Covid affected then it probably shows why the general public have him sliding on draft night

ChasingFlags25

Debutant
Jul 10, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Well said, those who say we are not in need of key forwards dont recognise the loss of Kennedy and Darlings age as you correctly point out. Also valid point key forwards take more time to develop then mids. Really Allen is all we have around when we are next in the window, Darling will be gone so we need to pre plan. As I have said on here before, some cannot see that far out, we must have a long term mindset, its very obvious to me which posters have a long term mindset and which dont.
I’m 100% sure our recruiting team is open to all avenues to improving the list and contenting again in the future. Your long term mindset is 1 dimensional, all you think about is the drafting of kids to replace talented players by finishing low on the ladder.

In saying that I’d be comfortable with Cadman at 2. Im more comfortable in the fact we have a proven recruiting team running this list rebuild and not you!

Westcoast88

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m 100% sure our recruiting team is open to all avenues to improving the list and contenting again in the future. Your long term mindset is 1 dimensional, all you think about is the drafting of kids to replace talented players by finishing low on the ladder.

In saying that I’d be comfortable with Cadman at 2. Im more comfortable in the fact we have a proven recruiting team running this list rebuild and not you!
I know you follow me very closely :cool:, its rather flattering actually, you barely post but when you do, its usually in relation to me. If you think long term 1 dimensional is all I am then I will take that to be honest, long term mindset is a huge advantage in many things in life.

As for yourself, you need to have a long hard think about wanting Hewett in the pick range of 7-10, pretty sure most wouldnt want you in charge of our list management with that mindset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
As for yourself, you need to have a long hard think about wanting Hewett in the pick range of 7-10, pretty sure most wouldnt want you in charge of our list management with that mindset.
No need to be savage.
Its within the realms of possibly. And everyone rates talent differently.
Look at us picking up Masten and Sheppard as absolute reaches.

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If he's there then Cadman is probably our best option.
At some stage will will go for a high end tall so why not now, get it out of the way. Maybe we get frustrated by kicking but he brings so much hustle once the ball is in the vicinity.
Yes kpp do take a year or two to develop to be AFL ready but its not critical to "take talls first" as things rarely line up like that.

Westcoast88

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
No need to be savage.
Its within the realms of possibly. And everyone rates talent differently.
Look at us picking up Masten and Sheppard as absolute reaches.
No need to be savage ? Did you read what i was responding too ? I thought it was proportionate, I give as good as i got

ChasingFlags25

Debutant
Jul 10, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
I know you follow me very closely :cool:, its rather flattering actually, you barely post but when you do, its usually in relation to me. If you think long term 1 dimensional is all I am then I will take that to be honest, long term mindset is a huge advantage in many things in life.

Follow you??

Hard to read a page without seeing your dribble mate, double posts often just trying to justify your believes to your self by the looks.

Very happy to have differing believes to you.
1. Hewett closer to pick 10 then your prediction of sliding to 20.
2. WCE 2023 ladder position and thoughts around ways to improve our list, not just draft kids and playing them, your the same bloke that will be bagging them on here in 2 years calling the list cloggers.

I’d rather just read these pages, to find out draft and trading gossip. Not seeing your self inflating posts would be a positive.

Hook461123

All Australian
Jul 18, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
A growing consensus about splitting the pick has me worried 😬
I can just see Wardlaw slipping to 3 due to his hammies (just like a certain other number three did with his shoulder) and us missing out.
I’m not saying he’s gunna be the next big Superstar but he’s got more chance then the kids we pick in the 8-15 range.

I hope he does well at the combine (but not well enough for North to take him)

Westcoast88

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
A growing consensus about splitting the pick has me worried 😬
I can just see Wardlaw slipping to 3 due to his hammies (just like a certain other number three did with his shoulder) and us missing out.
I’m not saying he’s gunna be the next big Superstar but he’s got more chance then the kids we pick in the 8-15 range.

I hope he does well at the combine (but not well enough for North to take him)
I agree Wardlaw looks very good, its just the hammies really. If he is injury free, he looks a lot better than the 8-15 range and if we dont pick him, he could make us regret it.

AsterixTheGaul

I’ll raise it here as it’s more draft related. What suits us better for Rioli - the Amon compo or their future 2nd

Starting to think that we’d be better with a future pick due to a tightening of list spots with the proposed Hunt acquisition

If we do get the Amon compo giving us 20,26,27 in the 2nd round plus 38, I’d be wanting to use a combination of two of those picks to trade up to a mid teens pick

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
AsterixTheGaul

I’ll raise it here as it’s more draft related. What suits us better for Rioli - the Amon compo or their future 2nd

Starting to think that we’d be better with a future pick due to a tightening of list spots with the proposed Hunt acquisition

If we do get the Amon compo giving us 20,26,27 in the 2nd round plus 38, I’d be wanting to use a combination of two of those picks to trade up to a mid teens pick
Good question. I suspect others might differ but here is my take.

I would prefer the 2023 R2 compensation due to:-
1. I don't think we are going to cut as deep as I want this year
2. The draft this year will be about 50 players so 27 ends up as an early 30's due to FA compo and 3 F/S picks I expect before then
3. I would be really happy if we could package up 27 and 38 and get the Lions 15 but we would need to do 26, 27 and 38 for 15 and maybe a future 3rd as the Suns are keen on transferring points to 2023 and since they undervalue draft picks, they will be generous.
4. It is early days but could we get a partner wanting a trade of 26 and 27 for an early teens pick due to needing an early /mid second for a trade? If so, I would be ok with that.

In 2023, the Suns will be sellers of their first round to pay for their 2 x top 10 in points. Our second Port's second and our third should get us enough points to tempt the Suns assuming they finish 10th or above. There will be top quality in the first round next year - could be as deep as 12 - 14 top players

Our new game is only a theory as yet. Simmo has not delivered a difference (nor instructed the Beagles to be playing in a different style) so I am not sure we have the right understanding on what we need.

Of course the downside is that Port could be major improvers and move what would be pick 27 in 2022 to an early 30's pick in 2023. A later pick in a stronger draft is in my mind a draw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back