Christmas/Religion etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder if Christians will ever acknowledge that this time of year has nothing to do with the Birthday of their deity

It is a Pagen Festival stolen by Christians
The Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice at this time of year (still most Christian fables are stolen from other religions)

Christians never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Last edited:

Lenny153

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder if Christians will ever acknowledge that this time of year has nothing to do with the Birthday of their deity

The Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice at this time of year (still most Christian fables are stolen from other regions)

How typical that you are hostile towards Christianity.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals

The Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice at this time of year (still most Christian fables are stolen from other religions)

But I have sources that I can’t name but there are many of them, that say al the Michaels are right.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

mods - might be time for a new thread on some of these religion focused posts (though I do reference the club)

TLDR;
1)all religions/culture are fairly laughable in some respects, just ensure you’re consistent in publicly laughing at them all, otherwise you’re not being inclusive to Christians.

2)if the club is going out of its way to recognise the Christmas holiday, it should refer to by its correct name.

I should also preface this by saying I was raised Catholic but pretty much have not been to church for 20 years. So I’m kind of impartial but kind of not.

ALL religions/cultures deem a lot of things “true” that cannot be reconciled by modern people. But modern civility requires us to be respectful of these Religious/Cultural “truths” - see multiculturalism, and diversity and inclusion.

You’re right that Christmas as a historical date marker has been debunked so to speak, but it’s significance to Christians remains and is held close to many - it is a “truth” of the religion.

By refusing to refer to this period as Christmas (or gleefully antagonising against it), you start to deligitimise the “truths” of the many Australians who still hold the Catholic faith close (even if only at Christmas and Easter for many).

Those same Australians DEPLORE the INDIVIDUAL actions of some of those in positions of power within the church who have caused great harm in this country (and other countries). But those same Australians still recognise judeo Christian values, and understand the value of a belief system and related social structures in bringing strength to the weak, comfort to the dying, support for the needy, and hope to the hopeless in a society where care for the little people has evoparated. These are the strengths of Christianity AND of other religions and cultures.

Christianity has had, and continues to have failures. Some of those failures are quite personal to some on this board which I’m sorry for and I respect your right to be angry/hurt/otherwise.

Other religions/cultures are not without their glaring flaws as well.

So if you’re (not just you BJ specifically) going to hang the sh1t on the Christians at Christmas without also going after other faiths/cultures that have just as many obviously false “truths” then it is not a very “inclusive” approach you’re taking.

And to go back to the original post RE the club using “Seasons Greetings” or whatever it was rather than “Merry Christmas”. Think of how weird and denigrating it would be for the club to recognise Ramadan through email as “period of fasting”. It rightly would not happen.

mods - might be time for a new thread on some of these religion focused posts (though I do reference the club)
Perhaps, you might like to start a new thread in the nest with this post?

Is this what you were after Maggie5 ?
I must admit, a thread on Mods wasn't what I have in mind as it will be open slather.

I thought the topic was Happy as opposed to Merry.

Don't be surprised when this thread is locked.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought the topic was why saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas in the e-dm the club sent out was an example of political correctness gone mad and people should be calling up the club and giving the poor membership guys answering the phone a lesson in the increasing incursion upon our rights of freedom of speech, thoughts and beliefs by the totalitarian and militant snowflake brigade??

According to some

Hyakutake

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought the topic was why saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas in the e-dm the club sent out was an example of political correctness gone mad and people should be calling up the club and giving the poor membership guys answering the phone a lesson in the increasing incursion upon our rights of freedom of speech, thoughts and beliefs by the totalitarian and militant snowflake brigade??

According to some

Yeah something like that :)

Im disappointed Lenny hasnt responded. He made an strong early play with PC gone mad and lots of calling people sheep. All i needed was an SJW, a snowflake, and a beta male and i could complete my rwnj bingo card and collect my prize.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
1577085689114.png
1577085689114.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back