Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) and the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Polly Farmer has become the first person to be diagnosed with CTE. What ramifications does this hold for the future of the AFL?

It justifies the AFL's stance to keep the head sacrosanct for player safety. It could spell the end for a number of contact sports as we know them. Lawsuits already in the wings for AFL. Just watch as NRL and Rugby get ruined financially. Soccer already saying you shouldn't train for headers. As we learn more, they may ban them completely.

If this happens, then, bigger picture, AFL may actually thrive.

It justifies the AFL's stance to keep the head sacrosanct for player safety. It could spell the end for a number of contact sports as we know them. Lawsuits already in the wings for AFL. Just watch as NRL and Rugby get ruined financially. Soccer already saying you shouldn't train for headers. As we learn more, they may ban them completely.

its more likely that non-contact sports may thrive

I see a news headline this morning AFL CTE ‘Shock’. Is anyone really shocked? I don’t understand that. Of course some AFL players are going to develop CTE. They are playing a full contact sport, where you may get hit in the head. Is it news to you that we play a full contact sport?

You don’t even need to be hit directly in the head to get a concussion. A forceful enough tackle to the body can cause the brain to rattle in the skull.

I just don’t get how this is a shock to anyone. Does anyone pay attention to the NFL.

I just don’t get how this is a shock to anyone. Does anyone pay attention to the NFL.
Or entertainment wrestling, in the sad case of Chris Benoit

Polly Farmer has become the first person to be diagnosed with CTE. What ramifications does this hold for the future of the AFL?

Another first by the great man, best footballer I ever saw play the game by the length of the State.

The AFL is a follower on the issue, see NFL thats where its at.

I see a news headline this morning AFL CTE ‘Shock’. Is anyone really shocked? I don’t understand that. Of course some AFL players are going to develop CTE. They are playing a full contact sport, where you may get hit in the head. Is it news to you that we play a full contact sport?

You don’t even need to be hit directly in the head to get a concussion. A forceful enough tackle to the body can cause the brain to rattle in the skull.

It’s not a shock no but it confirms that the move away from your head being fair game was the right move.

Also hopefully shuts up all the whingers about it.

Maybe this will get the media to stop revering players who put their head on the line constantly (Selwood, Jono Brown etc). It’s not smart and will very likely lead to bad things happening to your mind post footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty firmly established as a risk of playing contact sports - probably just needs to be a focus on education around the risks, symptoms and proper concussion management throughout their careers.

Pop a disclaimer line in the contract and you go in with your eyes open if you choose to play the game for a living.

Rugby will be even worse.

Amateur footy would be a real concern for me particularly if you were playing over twenty years ago and at a lower grade. Lots of guys were just out there for the biff and umpires didn't have as much of a control over the game as they should have done.

Personally I see this as an occupational hazzard.

AFL players are paid on average $290,000/year or thereabouts, which is almost 4x the average Australian wage. If you can milk a 10+ year career then that's basically your life's earnings done by your mid 30's at the latest.

There will be sad circumstances (such as Paddy McCartin) who should give it away ASAP and do something else before it's too late.

If the AFL is going to be made accountable for ongoing care/compensation due to CTE they should consider a clause with players along the lines of 'If you are concussed 3 times in your career then your ongoing employment at AFL level is at your own risk' and recommend otherwise that players retire for their own safety. Elsewise we honour a player's dignity of risk.

Personally I see this as an occupational hazzard.

AFL players are paid on average $290,000/year or thereabouts, which is almost 4x the average Australian wage. If you can milk a 10+ year career then that's basically your life's earnings done by your mid 30's at the latest.

There will be sad circumstances (such as Paddy McCartin) who should give it away ASAP and do something else before it's too late.

If the AFL is going to be made accountable for ongoing care/compensation due to CTE they should consider a clause with players along the lines of 'If you are concussed 3 times in your career then your ongoing employment at AFL level is at your own risk' and recommend otherwise that players retire for their own safety. Elsewise we honour a player's dignity of risk.

But that makes sense, they (past players and managers, especially themanagers) dont care about making sense, they just want $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i have never understood why you should not have to sign a waiver to play contact sports. contact sports are contact sports and sometimes accidents happen where you can get hurt. It is your decision and risk to play said sport and you should assume all risk.
Why is it that it is always someone else's fault these days?
The AFL really cannot make it any safer other than making it non contact, you will never ever remove the split second bad decisions players make every now and again like Marley Williams did, but again that is the risk you take that it can happen.
It's all good and well to say we don't want people to suffer after their career is over because obviously we don't, but the simple solution then is not to play and put yourself in any risk at all. Go be a storeman or an accountant and don't play Footy. But if you wish to play footy it is your risk to do so and no one but yourself should be liable for what may or may not happen to you in the future.

I think there started to be some rebuttal to the bloke who ‘discovered’ CTE’s claims? I can’t remember where I saw it but I remember a crowd starting to say that this bloke was a little bit fraudulent with some of his claims, I hope someone more well researched can help me with this

Edit - https://academic.oup.com/acn/article/33/5/644/5087832

I encourage people who have an opinion on this to read through this stuff before posting. I’ve done a bit of reading over the years on the subject and I do think concussions are a problem, correct measures need to be taken and concussions avoided as much as possible via the rules. However this bloke is a bit of a fraud. The idea of CTE isn’t really that clear.

Last edited:
i have never understood why you should not have to sign a waiver to play contact sports. contact sports are contact sports and sometimes accidents happen where you can get hurt. It is your decision and risk to play said sport and you should assume all risk.
Why is it that it is always someone else's fault these days?
The AFL really cannot make it any safer other than making it non contact, you will never ever remove the split second bad decisions players make every now and again like Marley Williams did, but again that is the risk you take that it can happen.
It's all good and well to say we don't want people to suffer after their career is over because obviously we don't, but the simple solution then is not to play and put yourself in any risk at all. Go be a storeman or an accountant and don't play Footy. But if you wish to play footy it is your risk to do so and no one but yourself should be liable for what may or may not happen to you in the future.

Correct. The AFL is doing good work to protect player's heads.

Not paying frees for ducking has been a great change. I really want to see them stop paying frees when blokes 'drop their legs' and 'shrug the shoulders' to draw high contact as well. It encourages high contact. In fact I would be happy if the AFL fined players who deliberately do it on a regular basis (guys like Shuey, great player besides).

In the medical industry we acknowledge all people's rights to make poor decisions for themselves if they are of sound mind, which includes the dignity of taking risks to your own health and wellbeing. The same should be said for people playing contact sport - especially when helmets are entirely optional and they are being paid large sums of money to play.

Pretty sure a player signing a disclaimer isn’t going to prevent a player (or their estate) from suing down the track for negligence if affected by impact injuries / concussion / CTE. Any lawyers want to offer some comment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back