Cider Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Magners is the best by a long long way. Bulmers is more of a try drink and not as sweet as Magners.

Bulmers is good when Magners is not around and is only $6 a pint at a pub close to me!

$4 of Bulmers at my cricket club, amazing.

Can't beleive no-one has mentioned Rekorderlig cider yet. Do yourself a favour! Also comes in Pear, Strawberry & Lime, Wildberry flavour, all of which are superb on their day.

Can't beleive no-one has mentioned Rekorderlig cider yet. Do yourself a favour! Also comes in Pear, Strawberry & Lime, Wildberry flavour, all of which are superb on their day.

I couldn't think of the name. Only tried the Pear but it was awesome. Will get around to trying the other flavours soon. :thumbsu:

Had never really tried cider; used to always bag people for drinking strongbow. Then the other day I got given one at the Belgian Beer Garden. In more of a vase then a glass i downed it in no time. Tasted awesome. Pear definitely the best of the flavours.

Then I went up to order my shout and it was $13.50 a glass/vase!

I couldn't think of the name. Only tried the Pear but it was awesome. Will get around to trying the other flavours soon. :thumbsu:
Dan Murphy's has them, think they only come in 500ml bottles at about $7 a pop, worth every cent.

Dan Murphy's has them, think they only come in 500ml bottles at about $7 a pop, worth every cent.
Couldn't agree more, absolutely brilliant cider. Went away to the coast with a few mates and they all brought along beers and spirits while i brought 2 slabs of Rekorderlig (Wild Berries and Strawb & Lime) and probably couldve gone another one they went down that fast.

Ive even managed to convince the fiance to be a cider drinker.

Bought some Aspall Draught today from Dan's. Comes in a long, wine-like bottle. Quite dry but with more than enough sweetness to enjoy. Quite liked it. Around $7 a 500ml bottle. Would recommend.

I've had a few premium oak-aged ciders in the past week (Green Goblin and Old Rosie Scrumpy) and can't say i enjoy them much. The oak gives them a very smokey flavour which can be a bit over powering.

Magners is the best by a long long way. Bulmers is more of a try drink and not as sweet as Magners.

Bulmers is good when Magners is not around and is only $6 a pint at a pub close to me!

Lol

"Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is Magners the Same as Bulmers in Ireland?

Magners is identical to Bulmers in terms of product taste and characteristics and its branding, packaging and promotional strategy is based on the marketing approach, which has been so successful for the Bulmers brand in Ireland."

Did the packaging fool your tastebuds? ;)

Rekorderlig is great on one condition: it's in a tall glass with a lot of ice. The stuff is far too sweet by itself at a cool temperature.

Rekorderlig pear cider + pint glass + ton of crushed ice = heaven.

The berry and lime ones taste like soft drink though...ergh.

Lol

"Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is Magners the Same as Bulmers in Ireland?

Magners is identical to Bulmers in terms of product taste and characteristics and its branding, packaging and promotional strategy is based on the marketing approach, which has been so successful for the Bulmers brand in Ireland."

Did the packaging fool your tastebuds? ;)

The Bulmers we get here is the English version not the Irish one and there is a difference. Magners is what the Irish version of Bulmers is called outside of Ireland.

That Rekorderlig stuff is rubbish. Syrup in a cider bottle. I will buy some more when I next run out of maple syrup.

Just because its sweet doesnt make it a bad cider. I tried bulmers a few days ago and cant say im that much of a fan, guess ill stick to my rekorderlig and koppenberg.

Cider is my drink of choice. Mercury if I'm drinking at home or a party, Bulmers/Magners if I'm at a pub. I was first introduced to cider via Strongbow but now only drink it if the shop/pub doesn't have anything else.

I've seen both the Bulmers and Magners names used, even seen them side-by-side in the same shop. Anyone know why they don't just use the one name here? :confused:

Bought a 24 pack of Monarch for $30 (it expired last April) in a dodgy Footscray shop a few weeks ago. A bit sour/acidic (perhaps due to the expiration) bit fair at that price :p Haven't seen it sold anywhere else. Doesn't seem to have a website site, Google search says it's Belgian or English or French :confused:

Anyone had Kelly Brothers? I had a six pack the other week. Was more bitter/less sweet than the aforementioned ones but was good. http://www.kellybrothers.com.au/ I'll stick with Mercury though :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know of some good quality non alcoholic cider?

Carbonated apple juice? That tastes better than most alcoholic ciders on the market.

There are quite a number of apple farms in Victoria that perhaps could offer something. In the shops, I've only come across Cascade Apple Isle.

Bump.

Been getting right into cider in recent times, one that I enjoy is the Matilda Bay Dirty Granny.

Had about 20-30 different ciders over the last few months so thought ressurecting this thread was a good idea.

I wasn't sure i liked 'Green Goblin' when i first tried it ... But i returned to it and its now my favourite along with Westons Premium Organic cider.

71139_120179617850_4617880_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back