Teams Cincinnati Bengals - Who Dey

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I don't think Dalton is clutch enough. Just doesn't have it in the big moments. I remember when he got sacked for a safety and lost to the Dolphins in overtime, not entirely his fault but it partly is, and it's just another example of him failing when it matters most. His two second half interceptions really proved costly.

I think people look at the rest of the offense and worry that it is being wasted on him

Good O-line (even if they weren't at their best today it must be said), good mix of receivers and strong backfield support. Dalton just has too many brain farts at the moment, that fumble today was woeful, and they aren't always balanced out by the good things he does.

He's fortunate that the defence regularly stands up and limits the damage form his turnovers.

Is like to see what luck could do in that situation

One has to wonder if Dalton is bring fed certain play-calls from the sideline. There were games that Dalton & the Bengals looked absolutely dazzling and on their way. The Chargers D really clicked on the day and THAT together with some awful clangers, bad play calling really burnt the Bengals and moreso their tortured fans.

Luck seems to take his chances and has more support behind him when the chips are down… that's quite possibly the relevant difference between them. Luck doesn't have as much 'quality' but really it comes back to play calling in certain situations and how each team thinks. Marv Lewis MUST MOVE ON. If The Bengals can't get the best out of Dalton with a new HC… trade him on in 2015, simple as that.

Yeah he seemed to throw a lot of throws either too high or too wide. Seemed to lock in too much as well.

Just on Marvin, that's what 11 seasons without a playoff win. How many coaches have lasted that long without a playoff win? Is it time to move on?

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
The biggest problem for Cincinnati is that the owners refuse to spend the amount of money it takes to win championships. I have been a casual fan of the Bengals since before their 1st superbowl appearance, and have visited the city a few times. When you speak to people in Cincy it seems to be a common theme, especially when you compare them to both the local baseball team (the Reds) and the elite teams in their division, the Steelers and Ravens.

The biggest problem for Cincinnati is that the owners refuse to spend the amount of money it takes to win championships. I have been a casual fan of the Bengals since before their 1st superbowl appearance, and have visited the city a few times. When you speak to people in Cincy it seems to be a common theme, especially when you compare them to both the local baseball team (the Reds) and the elite teams in their division, the Steelers and Ravens.

Yep that seems to be the vibe. Marvin won't be sacked because he still has a year on his contract and Mike Brown won't want to pay hum out.

One gets the impression that the owner has decided making the playoffs is good enough. Having said that what we need to go the extra is a less erratic qb (i like dalton but his worst is so far below his best it hurts). You won't get a walk up starring qb late in the first round (where we will keep picking if we make the play-offs). MB won't trade for one either, and who is there?

One more year for both Dalton and Lewis ï think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Been too depressed to post since Monday but that was just ******* woeful. I called it at the start of the season. Dalton is shithouse. The rest of the team is superbowl worthy but until we get a decent quarterback we won't progress past the first week.

Having said that what we need to go the extra is a less erratic qb (i like dalton but his worst is so far below his best it hurts).

I feel the same but then he has just finished his 3rd year and I think they mentioned during the game that no other QB has made the playoffs in each of his first three years so he's good enough to get his team there. Problem is they also showed a stat that had him throwing 1 TD and 6 INT in those 3 playoff games so under pressure he comes up short - I thought this game might have been the one where he proved himself but instead he's just added more ammunition to the perception he is too erratic.

Bernard's forced fumble was a real turning point IMO - we had really good momentum at the time and looked on track to take a 14-7 lead into the half and whilst we still got the ball back and took a 10-7 lead in, it looked like the team lost confidence and coupled with that horror fumble from Dalton heads dropped. The D did their best to keep us in it, but on offense you could sense the Chargers knew they had our measure and were all over Dalton forcing some awful passes and the receivers weren't sure where the ball was going to be. ( In the 4th Green dropped a long pass which he normally would have swallowed even if it was a little underthrown and Bernard dropped an open field catch possibly still thinking about his earlier afer catch fumble that was forced by a good hit)

Dalton needs to get us to the playoffs next year and then get one win at least - we have a roster that fully fit is good enough to get us to the Division championship game at least.

Nice that we got a CB in the first round secondary is weak, RB in the second was strange suppose that means we have lost faith in Green-Ellis.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
The Law Firms production dropped off a bit last season I think. I like the picks they've done and Jeremy Hill looks like a good football player but seems to have some question marks over his character but should be a great compliment to Bernard.
McCarron the same but looks like a steal on talent.

The Law Firms production dropped off a bit last season I think. I like the picks they've done and Jeremy Hill looks like a good football player but seems to have some question marks over his character but should be a great compliment to Bernard.
McCarron the same but looks like a steal on talent.

Burfict had character issues too. I actually think the locker room , with Peko, Malauga, Whitworth, is pretty strong at the moment and can keep a player like Hill in line. Not sure its a great pick (a straight ahead power back) seems a reach with the 2nd round, but I don't think he'll mess things up.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
I think so too. Even before the draft the pundits said he was made for the AFC North, that's where it's at.
A corner was the most pressing need IMO and they covered that, I was surprised they went power back in the 2nd but they haven't ****ed up too many draft in the last few years so I'll run with them one.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Paul Guenther on Bengals defense: It’s not OK what we did last year

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvjytu2nje2ndi0yzg2ody5ywm3n2yzzwq3ntcwmmiz.jpeg

The Bengals have gone to the playoffs in each of the last three seasons, but they haven’t won a game in the postseason on any of those trips.

The majority of the blame for those losses has fallen on the shoulders of the offense, with quarterback Andy Dalton carrying enough of it to lead some to question if he’s the right man to run the offense for the long term. The defense has not come under nearly the same amount of fire and has been one of the league’s stronger units for the last few years, but defensive coordinator Paul Guenther is sending them the message that it is “not OK what we did last year.”

“It’s more so the veteran players that have been here and been through the last three years and the playoffs saying, ‘Hey, we need to step it up. We need to take ownership of what we’re doing here, too,’” Guenther said, via the team’s website. “We didn’t play well enough against San Diego to beat them. There are no excuses about that. We didn’t play good enough on defense.”

Guenther pointed to the way the Seahawks played in the Super Bowl as an example of what he wants to see from the Bengals defenders, particularly the way they played like they weren’t going to be denied in their matchup against the Broncos. Guenther has shown the first 22 plays of that game to his players to illustrate exactly what he means and he might be able to get it with a healthy return from Geno Atkins and the arrival of first-round corner Darqueze Dennard.

That won’t make things any easier on Dalton and the offense all by itself, but it could be enough for the Bengals to find their way past a playoff opponent if new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson’s changes have the desired effect.

nfl-12-12-diameter-thermometer-d-20090730143245097~5632536w.jpg

The hot pressure cooker environment has proven to be a MELTDOWN saga in Cinci in recent campaigns. Underachieving and the inability to break the long running drought of a play-off win (1990) is proving to be incredibly frustrating for the defending AFCN champs. Even though they have attained a franchise first of reaching the post-season in three consecutive seasons, this is the most pivotal BOOM or BUST campaign for their most winningest HC in franchise history. Marv Lewis knows there is no turning back.. even tho' he signed a one year extension to 2015. FEELING the HEAT just as much as HC Marv Lewis will be veteran second round pick QB Andy Dalton, entering his fourth season which also happens to be his last of his rookie contact. New OC, Hue Jackson, believes Dalton can get better, using the word 'spectacular' as his chosen superlative. The Bengals realise that the AFCN is not for the faint hearted and very little separates them their division rivals. It's going to be one heck of a HELLRAISER experience in the AFCN like no other.

Looking at their 2014 schedule..

bengals-scheudle.jpg

It surely provides for many intriguing ACID TESTS that will be all about capitalising early with two home games before their week 4 bye. To snatch a victory on the road in Weeks 5 & 7 could well set up the Bengals for the all important mid-season three home game RUN which is the most delicious slice of their sizzling schedule before a bruising three week road trip that could well determine their campaign. If the Bengals can somehow snaffle two wins from the three road game trip… (7-5?), it will definitely gain the much needed momentum at the top of the home stretch with the flat track division bully rivals, Pittsburgh Steelers, awaiting in Week 14 as they arrive into Paul Brown Stadium where the Bengals have only managed TWO paltry home wins since 2001. Note: The Bengals defeated the Steelers on MNF in week 2 last season. The last time the Bengals won consecutive home games against the Steelers was way back in 1990, same post-season when they won their last play-off game. In the words of Darrell Eastlake… the Week 14 clash is looming >> HUUUUUUGE << already IF they stay in play-off contention.

With just three prime games scheduled at this stage, the Bengals know that EVERY GAME has serious implications. Marv Lewis is sitting right on preverbial edge of his overall coaching record >> .500 (90-90-1) entering his twelfth campaign comprising of three division titles of four play-off berths (0-4) along with just three losing seasons.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting (as always) debates on Raiders blog about Hue Jackson and the Bengals.

I cut out most of the early Raider angle, and then cut it off short as it goes into a long-winded debate about race/racism, and then fighting amongst themselves.

--------------------------------------

Hue Jackson will never be a HC in the NFL, nor was he before we hired him.

========

If Cinci falters out of the top ten in offense, you are certainly right.

But what if they shoot to the top?

========

Burned too many bridges and his youtube interview where he promotes SWATS and claims he gave it to players (including the Ray Lewis situation that blew up on him) sealed his fate IMO.
He took money to promote a soon to be banned supplement, and threw players under the bus who didn't agree to be on the record as using it.

========

The NFL cares more about that than WINNING?

Please.

If Cinci has a great offense and goes deep into the playoffs, Hue's name will be at the top again.

========

I certainly hope you're right. But I have my doubts.

========

Hue was on his way to be a very good HC. But was undercut by an idiot. Being black he may never get another shot. While DA will get several........period

========

This is why his career faltered. That man next to him is a now felon, and the SWATS product is a banned supplement.

========

Hence the reason for McFadden's success. It wasn't this comical "he asked him which plays he likes" nonsense. He states on the record, he gave him performance enhancer PED's.
Darren McFadden = Brady Anderson

========

Hue pizzed off the wrong guy in forcing the CP trade with playoff guarantees.

And then he had the meltdown presser which didn't help.

If he brings Cinci to the top in offense, he will get another chance. I don't see race in any of this.

---------------------------------------------

Remove this Banner Ad

Back