Teams Cincinnati Bengals - Who Dey

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Joe Mixon is listed with the third-team offense on the Bengals' initial depth chart.

Old-school coach Marvin Lewis is going to make Mixon "earn" starting duties. Washed Jeremy Hill is currently listed as the No. 1. If Mixon plays up to his measurables and college film in the preseason, he will be the No. 1 by Week 1, even if Hill continues to have the mostly meaningless depth chart "starter" tag.

Source: Jim Owczarski on Twitter
Aug 8 - 1:33 PM

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Bengals turned down a second-round pick for A.J. McCarron this offseason.

This appears to have been before the Broncos were -- erroneously if John Elway is to be believed -- linked with McCarron this week. Breer thinks it would take "a blow-em-away deal" to make Cincinnati move McCarron, who is still under team control for two years. It sounds like the quarterback will spend at least another season with the Bengals.

Source: MMQB
Aug 10 - 12:26 PM

I think the only way Lewis saves his job at this point is making the switch at QB...

In his recent presser, ML come out in defence of his embattled QB. The road of denial is getting narrow. It's gonna lead to a one way street that hits oncoming traffic that is backlash. The Bengals FO is possibly one of either the most deluded in denial FO's in sports or the most patient, more than those unstaffed hospitals after a major emergency than there has ever been. You can't go fwd without taking a backward step and cutting your losses.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
2-3, which could have been 3-2, if we had held on against the Packers. Big game against the Steelers coming up.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Marvin Lewis is planning to leave the Bengals after this season to pursue other opportunities.

Lewis was already in lame-duck status, so this is a mutual parting. The Bengals have been trending toward moving on since owner Mike Brown didn't extend Lewis going into 2017. Lewis has a .525 winning-percentage (123-111) but is winless in the playoffs and looking at consecutive losing seasons. He won't be back in Cincy, but Lewis could draw offseason interest as a retread.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Marvin Lewis is planning to leave the Bengals after this season to pursue other opportunities.

Lewis was already in lame-duck status, so this is a mutual parting. The Bengals have been trending toward moving on since owner Mike Brown didn't extend Lewis going into 2017. Lewis has a .525 winning-percentage (123-111) but is winless in the playoffs and looking at consecutive losing seasons. He won't be back in Cincy, but Lewis could draw offseason interest as a retread.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
I can’t imagine anyone would have any interest in hiring him as a head coach maybe a coordinator.

But really the fact he has been at cincy this long with zero success to speak of is an indictment the management of the team.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can’t imagine anyone would have any interest in hiring him as a head coach maybe a coordinator.

But really the fact he has been at cincy this long with zero success to speak of is an indictment the management of the team.
He needs a break from the game. Into the commentary booth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
As much as Lewis hasn't achieved even a playoff win I still have nightmares of the pre-Lewis Bungles era. I agree it's time for him to go but he did bring a much more professional outfit during his time.
No matter who come in Paul Brown will still be an issue despite the fact he owns the club and if that horrible O line isn't remedied it's going to be another long year for us Bengals fan.

I have doubt they'll be in Cincy when their current stadium contract expires in a few years.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
A.J Green still feels young enough to make a Canton run
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 16, 2018, 5:52 AM EDT
gettyimages-870562918-e1529691986943.jpg

Getty Images

It doesn’t take a long look around the Bengals receivers room for A.J. Green to realize how old he is.

But he also has a clear enough vision of where he wants to end up that he can’t see the end quite yet.

Via Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Green is six years older than any other receiver in camp, having just turned 30. But as with most players at milestone ages, he insists he has many years left.

I ain’t an old man,” Green said. “I’ve always got juice. I’ve had it for a long time. I’m not going anywhere any time soon. . . .

“I feel good. I’m one of the oldest guys, but I run the most of anybody in practice and I feel great. I put a lot into my body on and off the field that really gets me ready for the next day.”

Feeling good, he hopes to add to his resume so that his long-term goal of making the Hall of Fame. There are mitigating factors that could work against him, including the lack of All-Pro honors, or that he’s never led the league in any category or caught 100 passes in a season. The Bengals’ lack of playoff success will also be a factor, as titles clearly help the case of those who want to go to Canton.

But if he keeps his current pace for the next seven years, he’ll reach the top five in receptions and yards and the top seven in touchdowns, which should make a strong case, which he’s eager to attempt.

“I feel great. These last two years is the best my body’s felt in a long time,” he said. “I’ve got six years in me I feel like. A long, long time. I’ll be ready.”

Being a Bengal might be the biggest hurdle he’ll have to clear. He has two years left on his current contract, and while he hasn’t made noise about a new one, it will be interesting to see if he longs for free agency, for another chance to polish his Hall of Fame case elsewhere.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, there is a "growing sense" Hue Jackson could take over as the Bengals' head coach if Marvin Lewis retires or transitions to an upper-management role.

The idea of Jackson landing another head-coaching job seems almost unfathomable after his disastrous tenure with Cleveland but he's reportedly a favorite of owner Mike Brown, who has a reputation for "doing things his own way." Per La Canfora, Brown almost always hires "within the Bengals family" of former coaches and has praised Jackson for his work with franchise quarterback Andy Dalton. La Canfora added it would "not be a surprise at all" if Lewis stepped away from coaching in 2019 and allowed his close friend Jackson to take over. Hue-Jax would be the ultimate cocoon hire.

Source: CBS Sports

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Sadly I think this is spot on. Hue was offered a transition plan as head coach after Marv but decided to take the Browns job instead. Good OC but not so much a head coach I don’t think. Although the Browns job had always been a bit of a coach killer.
The Bungals are returning and I think a clean out is required but don’t think will happen.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Marvin Lewis: Mike Brown and I decided it was time
Posted by Josh Alper on December 31, 2018, 11:22 AM EST
GettyImages-1074131932-2-e1546273332954.jpg

Getty Images

The Bengals officially announced that Marvin Lewis is out as their head coach on Monday morning and the statement from the team called it a mutual decision to part ways.

Lewis signed a contract extension with the team after the 2017 season that gave the Bengals the option of retaining him for the 2019 season. In a statement, Bengals owner Mike Brown said he “is very appreciative” of what Lewis brought to the organization “and will miss working with him.”

At a press conference after the announcement, Lewis said that “Mike and I decided it’s time” and that “this season’s been a lot” when asked why now was the right time. Lewis lamented his inability to “deliver the No. 1 goal” of winning a Super Bowl during a run in Cincinnati that saw him go 131-122-3 in the regular season and 0-7 in the postseason.

Lewis said “we’ll see” when asked if he has designs on coaching again and said that he was not offered another role in the Bengals organization before the decision was made to end his time on the sideline.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hope so mate.
The interest in Hue might've been just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.
Hue is serviceable as a position coach.
But I can tell by the people the Bengals are requesting to interview....they're looking for a young offensive-minded wunderkind, in the mold of McVey, and going right to that fountain itself.
With the Steelers miring, and soon to lose Brown, Bell, and Roethlisberger can't be long for retirement....the AFCN looks good for the other three teams. About time I say too. Steelers been kissed on the dick since the early 70s.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
oh dear.....ffs you fired the dude because his methods/ideas aren't working, so don't listen to him now!!!

-----------------

Marvin Lewis endorses Hue Jackson for the Bengals’ head-coaching job

Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2019, 8:01 AM EST

GettyImages-617512662-e1546347631744.jpg

Getty Images

Outgoing Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has a parting gift for the city where he coached for nearly a generation: He thinks the coach with the worst won-loss record in multiple generations should become the next coach of the Bengals.
“I think he’s more than qualified,” Lewis told reporters on Monday regarding former Raiders and Browns coach Hue Jackson, for now still a member of the Cincinnati coaching staff. “I think he’s been in a couple of difficult situations, and that’s tough, and it hasn’t broke his way. But I think he’s an excellent football coach, he’s a great motivator. He’s detailed. So I think he deserves an opportunity. If not here, somewhere else.”
Few would agree. Indeed, as the coaching carousel hit full speed on Monday, with a flood of names of candidates emerging, Hue’s didn’t. Not even in Cincinnati.
And for good reason. Apart from the fact that his record during stints with the Raiders and Browns flat-out stinks, Hue has created plenty of drama and dysfunction during his time as a head coach. In Cleveland, for example, the Browns ultimately didn’t fire Hue because of his coaching abilities but because of the turmoil created by Jackson and former offensive coordinator Todd Haley. That turmoil came a year after Jackson by all appearances played politics with ownership to make Sashi Brown the scapegoat for the sorry state of the team.
The strong performance of the Browns after his firing doesn’t help matters, either. The improvement of the Browns became palpable, and the Baker Mayfield subplot made Hue into even more of a caricature.
Thus, with so many viable candidates out there, a guy who went 1-15 and 0-16 in consecutive seasons simply isn’t getting back in. How could any owner sell that to the people who are expected to buy tickets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back