Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bengals to meet with two Rams assistants today

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 4, 2019, 6:49 AM EST

GettyImages-89742447-e1546602495211.jpg

Getty Images

Many teams would like to emulate the Rams’ success on offense.

But this is the Bengals we’re talking about, so today’s interviews with Rams assistants Zac Taylor and Shane Waldron may be about double-dipping to make the cost of the plane ticket to Los Angeles a bit more palatable.

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, the Bengals will meet with both Taylor and Waldron today.

Taylor, their 35-year-old quarterbacks coach, has also been linked to the Broncos and Cardinals searches.

Waldron, their 39-year-old tight ends coach and passing game coordinator, hasn’t cropped up publicly in connection with any other team. He’s a former Patriots football ops guy who followed Charlie Weis to Notre Dame in 2005, and has also worked in the UFL and at the University of Massachusetts before spending a year with Washington.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Surely they can't hire Hue Jackson.

The fanbase would lose their s**t.

The fanbase doesn’t seem to matter a whole lot to Mike Brown apparently. I’m dreading a Hue Jackson appointment but feeling more and more comfortable they’ll go what would usually be considered left field for them and go a young assistant. That’s were they plucked Marv from all those years ago and he turned around the franchise.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Zac Taylor emerges as favorite for Bengals job

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 10, 2019, 6:51 PM EST

ap_19004022516690-e1547164242835.jpg

AP

The Bengals appear ready to choose Zac Taylor as their next head coach.

Taylor, the Rams’ quarterbacks coach, is the Bengals’ choice, according to multiple reports.

Officially, the Bengals cannot hire Taylor until the Rams’ postseason is over. As the Colts found out last year when they were spurned at the last minute by Josh McDaniels, an assistant coach who works for another team can’t be hired until his team is done playing, and a verbal agreement is unenforceable.

But from all indications, Taylor is the man. A 35-year-old former Nebraska quarterback, Taylor will draw immediate comparisons to his boss, Rams head coach Sean McVay, because of his age and his offensive approach. McVay is such a hot coach that several teams have attempted to hire the “next Sean McVay” this year.

Taylor has previously worked as the Rams’ wide receivers coach, the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and the offensive coordinator at the University of Cincinnati.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Or is it???

-----------

The great Cincinnati mystery could end in Eric Bieniemy

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2019, 3:03 PM EST

GettyImages-870564124-e1547150511436.jpg

Getty Images

The first puff of smoke has emerged from Cincinnati, in the form of multiple assistant coaches being relieved of their duties. This move implies plenty, and it invites plenty more speculation.

Here’s what folks around the league definitely believe: (1) the Bengals know who they want; (2) the person they want isn’t available to be hired yet (because his team is still playing); (3) the person they want has preliminarily indicated he wants the job; and (4) the person they want has indicated that he won’t want those assistant coaches to stick around.

There’s nothing else tangible at this point, although there’s an emerging belief that 81-year-old owner Mike Brown has delegated much of the decision-making on this next hire to his daughter, Katie Blackburn, and her husband, Troy. That’s sparking speculation that they indeed have gone out of the building for a new coach, that it likely will be an offensive-minded coach (the opposite of Marvin Lewis), and that it very well could be the next guy from a line of offensive coordinators who have become successful head coaches: Eric Bieniemy of the Chiefs.

Bieniemy addressed his situation with reporters on Wednesday.

“I’d like to thank coach [Andy] Reid for really trusting me and putting me in this situation to have this opportunity,” Bieniemy said. “Also, grateful that Clark [Hunt] and Mark [Donovan] would agree to allow me to be the coordinator. I will say this, I’ve said this to a few people that I’ve had the opportunity to speak to. Everyone should be blessed and fortunate to have that opportunity. It gives you the opportunity to see things from a different perspective, but on top of that it’s one of those things that, ‘Hey, you know what, I’ve been working a lot of years to be put in this situation to have this opportunity.’ But that was last week, this is now. Now, it’s on to the Colts.”

Watch the video of Bieniemy’s comments, which as noted by Joe Goodberry of TheAthletic.com include a smile that potentially gives away Bieniemy’s knowledge that he’s in the process of parlaying his opportunity to be the Kansas City offensive coordinator into a head-coaching job of his own.

The Bengals could do a lot worse (and, by considering Hue Jackson for the job, they almost did). Chiefs players have raved about Bieniemy, who succeeded Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson. At a time when Bengals fans aren’t raving about anything relating to their team, Bieniemy could be the key to turning things around.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
I’d be happy for either although leaning towards Bieniemy. Assistant coaches being shown the door also is a good sign as the head man seems to be assembling his own cast despite not yet being named publicly.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Bengals will not retain OC Bill Lazor.

Zac Taylor is expected to hire a whole new staff once he accepts the team's head-coaching job, which will happen as soon as the Rams wrap up their season. In addition to Lazor, the Bengals are also parting ways with RBs coach Kyle Caskey and TEs coach Jonathan Hayes. Lazor had been with the Bengals since 2016, beginning as the team's QBs coach before taking over offensive coordinator duties from Ken Zampese in 2017.

Related: Bengals

Source: Katherine Terrell on Twitter

================

Bengals fired assistant coach Hue Jackson.

This was expected with Zac Taylor bringing in a new staff. Jackson was linked to the Vikings' offensive coordinator job before they decided to stay in-house with OC Kevin Stefanski. He may have to settle for a position coach role.

Source: Elise Jesse on Twitter

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bengals “terrified” they’ll get in trouble over plan to hire Zac Taylor

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2019, 12:11 PM EST

GettyImages-1067715148-e1547226614654.jpg

Getty Images

Word emerged on Thursday that the Bengals plan to hire Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor when the L.A. season ends. And the Bengals will now be sweating bullets until the L.A. season ends.

Per a league source, the Bengals currently are “terrified” that the league will investigate whether they violated the constantly-violated rules regarding the making of offers to head-coaching candidates before offers can be made.

That’s how the league often enforces the rules. Sure, plenty of teams break the rules. But that never stops the league from investigating whether one specific team in one specific situation broke the rule, imposing discipline on that specific team for breaking the rule, and ignoring the widely-known reality that others have routinely broken the rules.

Last year, everyone knew that the Colts had offered the head-coaching job to Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and that McDaniels had accepted. But it couldn’t be official or formal until the Patriots’ season ended, and then the Patriots talked McDaniels (who already was having misgivings) out of going.

The thinking is that other candidates were informed that Taylor is the choice, and that Taylor has informed colleagues that he is the choice. If that’s true, the line may have been crossed, and the electronic paper trial would easily prove it.

So, yes, the Bengals are now worried that the league will come down on them. Even though the league has always looked the other way regarding every instance where that rule was being violated — and where everyone knew it.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Very pleased with this hire, even though ZT is an unknown quantity and especially to me, a young offensively minded coach is exactly what the Bengals need at this point in time. Apparently he’s gotten rave reviews from people who know him and interviewed off the charts. Awesome. Like the panel he’s assembling as well and very keen for Jack Del Rio for DC because he’ll light the fires of hell under the underperforming defence.
All we need to do is fill the offensive line, 2 quality linebackers and a quality TE through the draft and FA and I’ll be over the moon 😁
Keen for next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
There’s a good basis of talent on both sides of the ball, perhaps the ‘rebuild’ may be quicker than hoped with some better coaching and schemes. The Pats being a pretty good example of this but I’d say he’s in for a pretty tough year or two yet. As long as he’s showing something next season.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s a good basis of talent on both sides of the ball, perhaps the ‘rebuild’ may be quicker than hoped with some better coaching and schemes. The Pats being a pretty good example of this but I’d say he’s in for a pretty tough year or two yet. As long as he’s showing something next season.
wt always helps a very young HC is the quality of assistant coaches around him. Level of experience etc.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Florida DC Todd Grantham pulled himself out of the running for the Bengals' defensive coordinator job.
Grantham was believed to be the favorite for the job and even had an interview this week, but he joins a long line of coaches who have declined to coordinate Zac Taylor's defense. The Bengals will now have to move further down a list which reportedly includes ex-Falcons DC Marquand Manuel, Texas A&M DC Mike Elko, Saints DBs coach Aaron Glenn, and Rams DBs coach Aubrey Pleasant.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Pete Thamel on Twitter
Feb 15, 2019, 12:46 AM

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Zac Taylor on Lou Anarumo: Was about hiring right person, not moving quickly

Posted by Josh Alper on February 22, 2019, 6:35 AM EST

gettyimages-588947342-e1550594779601.jpg

Getty Images

The Bengals had some false starts when it came to finding a defensive coordinator to serve under head coach Zac Taylor, but their search finally ended this week with the hiring of former Giants defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo.

Anarumo and Taylor spoke to the media about the hire on Thursday and Taylor addressed the amount of time it took for the team to land Anarumo. He said that he felt the search seemed like a more extended one than it was because the Bengals were getting a later start than other teams because he was with the Rams in the Super Bowl.

“I just felt that, that was the right thing to do, not put together a staff until after the game was over,” Taylor said, via the team’s website. “It was easy to hire some guys on offense because I knew them all along, but I just really wanted to start that process when the game ended. It feels like it’s gone on forever because we’re the last team to make these hires, but in reality, it’s taken the same amount of time that you would normally take with a new head coach and the hires we’ve made. Again, it’s just about the right people. There’s plenty of really good coaches out there, we just had to find the right one that fit what we wanted to do, and we found that with Lou.”

Based on multiple reports, the Bengals went down the road of trying to hire other candidates so it didn’t play out quite the way that Taylor explained it on Thursday. None of that will matter much if Anarumo makes up for lost time and puts together a defense that plays well come September.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bengals placed WR A.J. Green (ankle) on injured reserve.
Green was kept on the active roster for 16 of 17 weeks and didn't record a single snap. From failing to gauge the trade market to assuming he'd play without an extension in-hand mid-season, the organization obviously could not have handled this situation any worse. Green said last week that he would have "no problem" signing a franchise tag but would prefer a "longer commitment" from the team if he's staying in Cincinnati. Even if he struggles with the guaranteed money in his contract long-term beyond 2020, the 31-year-old free-agent-to-be is obviously in store for a huge payday down the road. The Bengals will close the year with Tyler Boyd, Alex Erickson, and John Ross in three-wide sets.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 23, 2019, 1:05 PM ET

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Hard to argue with that. The son of Paul seems content to ‘play the safe ground’ too much.
Should be a lot more resources into scouting from my POV but to say they’ve never gone the FA route isn’t quite right, they’ve tried to pick up bargain basements that haven’t worked often enough. They went go huge dollars on the huge names though.
I do think they’ll be more active to build a line in front of Burrow this off season and I might be too naive but I think there’s more talent there than generally given credit for.
Loved Carson as our quarterback but he’s a Bengal hater for sure now.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard to argue with that. The son of Paul seems content to ‘play the safe ground’ too much.
Should be a lot more resources into scouting from my POV but to say they’ve never gone the FA route isn’t quite right, they’ve tried to pick up bargain basements that haven’t worked often enough. They went go huge dollars on the huge names though.
I do think they’ll be more active to build a line in front of Burrow this off season and I might be too naive but I think there’s more talent there than generally given credit for.
Loved Carson as our quarterback but he’s a Bengal hater for sure now.
also its a very hard division to crack.

bengals were a perennial playoff team for a decade or so under Lewis so its not like they were NOT trying to win, just couldn't get over that hump.....much like the texans and chiefs in recent times

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
also its a very hard division to crack.

bengals were a perennial playoff team for a decade or so under Lewis so its not like they were NOT trying to win, just couldn't get over that hump.....much like the texans and chiefs in recent times

Spot on, in 06 but Palmer getting his knee wrecked and Chris Henry injured on the same play after a 60m hookup stopped a very nice run in its tracks. Ditto 2015 season until Andy broke his thumb, he was having MVPish type season until then.
Poor drafting in the past few years, particularly the oline has killed them.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spot on, in 06 but Palmer getting his knee wrecked and Chris Henry injured on the same play after a 60m hookup stopped a very nice run in its tracks. Ditto 2015 season until Andy broke his thumb, he was having MVPish type season until then.
Poor drafting in the past few years, particularly the oline has killed them.
i always thought the bengals scouting under the auspices of duke and john tobin was stellar...and so the team was always very talented. but youre right...the one area the bengals have always struggled is having a top OL.

future is bright tho under Zac Taylor (hold him in high regard) and Joe Burrows. definitely see a SB win or two in the next 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back