Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Palmer ties Manning record

From Bengals.com

Palmer threw two touchdown passes and has not not thrown an interception in 115 consecutive pass attempts. His passer rating of 121.2 tied Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's NFL record of nine straight games with a rating of 100 or better.

Lets hope he breaks it with his 10th straight game next week against the Stillers :)

Re: Palmer ties Manning record

coasting said:
From Bengals.com

Palmer threw two touchdown passes and has not not thrown an interception in 115 consecutive pass attempts. His passer rating of 121.2 tied Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's NFL record of nine straight games with a rating of 100 or better.

Lets hope he breaks it with his 10th straight game next week against the Stillers :)

With that kinda disrespect (sp?) I think NOT !! :p karma is perpetual.

How was that disrespect? I said I hope he breaks it and owns it in his own right. He is still in the Hall of Fame, more than Big Ben can say :)

coasting said:
How was that disrespect? I said I hope he breaks it and owns it in his own right. He is still in the Hall of Fame, more than Big Ben can say :)
Disrespect is about YOUR spelling. ie: Stillers. :thumbsdown:
Anyway, what's your 'whoo ha' about the HOF ?? Palmer is a quality QB, agreed, but to talk of HOF now is absurd. 'Still in' explain ??? :confused:

Woodson said:
Disrespect is about YOUR spelling. ie: Stillers. :thumbsdown:
Anyway, what's your 'whoo ha' about the HOF ?? Palmer is a quality QB, agreed, but to talk of HOF now is absurd. 'Still in' explain ??? :confused:

All the individual records are part of the Hall of Fame, he is in there 9 straight games of 100+ passing. Rookie running back Cadillac Williams is also in the Hall of Fame for becoming the first RB to run for three 100+ games in his first three starts. Former Bengals kicker Neil Rackers is in there for kicking three 50+ field goals in the one game. There are lots of individual records like that. If Big Ben keeps up his passer rating he might be in there at the end of the year too, which I believe is the highest ever for a starting QB.

I think you'll find Big Ben is already in the HOF for most consecutive wins by a Rookie starting QB..............that won't be beaten for a long long time.

WTTF said:
I think you'll find Big Ben is already in the HOF for most consecutive wins by a Rookie starting QB..............that won't be beaten for a long long time.

No he isn't. The Hall of Fame is a reflection for individual performances, not team victories. Wins are a reflection on the whole team, not just Roethlisberger. It is a record but not one they include in the hall of fame because its not about individual performance.

How cute...

"Arguing" over whether your QB is in the HOF after two years in the league or not... ;)

Gimme a guy who's thrown for 50,000 yards and nearly 400 TDs...

Gimme a guy who's had 8... going for 9, 30+ TD seasons...

Gimme a guy, who's in the top 3 of every major career statistical category for QBs...

:D ;)

fuey said:
How cute...

"Arguing" over whether your QB is in the HOF after two years in the league or not... ;)

Gimme a guy who's thrown for 50,000 yards and nearly 400 TDs...

Gimme a guy who's had 8... going for 9, 30+ TD seasons...

Gimme a guy, who's in the top 3 of every major career statistical category for QBs...

Gimme a guy who threw for 5 interceptions! ;)

He still almost pulled it off too.

Palmer though is the quarterback that I would want to be building my franchise around. Roethlisberger does his job to a tee, and plays within the limitations he has, however over his career he isn't the type of QB that will pull games out of the fire. Put Palmer into the Steelers team and you have a definite Super Bowl champion.

Re: CJWalkley has limitations also

cjwalkley said:
Roethlisberger does his job to a tee, and plays within the limitations he has, however over his career he isn't the type of QB that will pull games out of the fire. Put Palmer into the Steelers team and you have a definite Super Bowl champion.

What are you saying ? With BIG BEN, we are no chance ?
Can't pull games outta the fire >>>>> pfft !! that is utter garbage pal.
I'm not buying your lousy story. JD will hopefully back me up here.

Before you pipe up, let me remind you that NE have won all thier SB's by 3 points !!! TEAM EFFORT is what becomes of DEFINITIVE SB Champions. It's not all cut & dry about the QB being 'the man'.

NFL Fact: Six of the last 10 SB's MVP have NOT been the QB !! :eek:

its hard to split Palmer and Ben as both are quality young QB's. Ben is the more balanced QB while Palmer likes to use that great arm strength and accuracy he has just sitting in the pocket.

There are three guys in college ranks at the moment that could be the equal of those two. Vince young, Matt Leinhart and my fav Brady Quinn.

marcuz said:
There are three guys in college ranks at the moment that could be the equal of those two. Vince young, Matt Leinhart and my fav Brady Quinn.

Maybe Leinhart at a stretch, but not the other two, no way. Carson Palmer is Troy Aikman. Actually, he'll be a fair bit better than Aikman but very similar in style. Leinhart will be like a Pennington or a Brady type of QB. A guy who just makes good decisions and good throws. Vince Young isn't a pocket passer, he is a running QB and they never translate well to the NFL. Exciting college player but average NFL prospect. Dont know much about Brady Quinn but he isn't being mentioned as a #1 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

coasting said:
Dont know much about Brady Quinn but he isn't being mentioned as a #1 pick.

Since when did you need to be a number one pick to be a good QB?

Brady Quinn has carried an average Notre Dame team by himself racking up some huge numbers behind an average offensive line. This year he has some more talent around him and a coach in Charlie Weis who is getting the best out of a limited bunch. He has a better arm than Leinhart.

cjwalkley said:
Gimme a guy who threw for 5 interceptions! ;)

He still almost pulled it off too.

That is the exact reason he deserves respect...

He doesn't give up, no matter how bad he was playing personally.

I'll probably cry the day he hangs them up... :eek: :D

-----------------------------------------

Did I read correctly that Notre Dame gave Weis a10 year extension? Or did I dream it?

fuey said:
Did I read correctly that Notre Dame gave Weis a10 year extension? Or did I dream it?

yep...nothing like a little job security. And if they somehow want to sack him then that's going to be one bloody big payout. Charlie is in a win-win situation at present.

Woodson said:
What are you saying ? With BIG BEN, we are no chance ?
Can't pull games outta the fire >>>>> pfft !! that is utter garbage pal.
I'm not buying your lousy story. JD will hopefully back me up here.
I don't think you need me to back you up Woodson, Ben's results speak for themself. You only need to look at the game recently when he didn't start to see the impact he has.

Big Ben's best characteristic IMO is his temperament, he controls games and makes very few mistakes. To suggest he can't pull games out of the fire is ludicrous - but he doesn't have to often because he doesn't put his team into a position where they have to. Doesn't mean he can't though.

If I could replace Brooks with any QB in the league atm, I'd go for the complete opposite to him and that would be Big Ben. Everything he lacks, Ben has in spades.

JeffDunne said:
Big Ben's best characteristic IMO is his temperament, he controls games and makes very few mistakes. To suggest he can't pull games out of the fire is ludicrous - but he doesn't have to often because he doesn't put his team into a position where they have to. Doesn't mean he can't though.

If I could replace Brooks with any QB in the league atm, I'd go for the complete opposite to him and that would be Big Ben. Everything he lacks, Ben has in spades.

Thanx for the compliments JD. And how about John Madden's call on BIG BEN having to be a QB in the come from behind win? Messy game that could of easily got away from the Steelers but cjwalkley will have to EAT HIS WORDS.

Full credit to Baltimore, they served it up and shook the Steelers up. These kinda wins are very much the essence of the Steelers grind it to the death style. We had the road game to Jax last season played in a very similar way. And just as you pointed out JD, the temperament of BIG BEN is what extracts his game to go another level. Obviously something some folks here @ BF REFUSE to understand or recognise.

Woodson said:
Thanx for the compliments JD. And how about John Madden's call on BIG BEN having to be a QB in the come from behind win? Messy game that could of easily got away from the Steelers but cjwalkley will have to EAT HIS WORDS.

Full credit to Baltimore, they served it up and shook the Steelers up. These kinda wins are very much the essence of the Steelers grind it to the death style. We had the road game to Jax last season played in a very similar way. And just as you pointed out JD, the temperament of BIG BEN is what extracts his game to go another level. Obviously something some folks here @ BF REFUSE to understand or recognise.

Against Baltimore you shouldn't be in a position to have to pull a game out of the fire (....mind you those words could haunt me this week!).

BIG BEN has a number of limitations as a QB, but Pittsburgh are smart enough to play well within those limitations, and BB knows he doesn't have top ecehelon ability and plays within that. Full credit to both, however as a QB he isn't a patch on Palmer.

If the Bengals could actually stop the run then they would be THE team, however the Steelers have a much more complete team that allows BB to play as he does. Put BB in a team with deficiencies on DEF or no running game and he would be average to good.

I don't care about your pointless stats re: Super Bowls and QB's, I'm talking pure QB's and in that regard Palmer has BB well and truly beat. As to the first one to a Super Bowl ring, well that looks like being BB.

But don't forget that Aaron Keating has an AFL premiership medal.

It was Bettis who made the crucial play on that final drive. Big Ben looked lost in that game for the most part, he did not play very well at all. Anyone who thinks Big Ben is as good as Carson Palmer should check into rehab. He is overrated. Baltimore shut down the run game and forced Big Ben to make passing plays and for the most part he couldn't. Baltimore was on the verge at least 3 times of intercepting him but they couldn't hold on to the ball. Had Baltimore had a real QB, they would have won that game easily. And with Reed and Lewis out, they really had no business even being in the game.

coasting said:
It was Bettis who made the crucial play on that final drive. Big Ben looked lost in that game for the most part, he did not play very well at all. Anyone who thinks Big Ben is as good as Carson Palmer should check into rehab. He is overrated. Baltimore shut down the run game and forced Big Ben to make passing plays and for the most part he couldn't. Baltimore was on the verge at least 3 times of intercepting him but they couldn't hold on to the ball. Had Baltimore had a real QB, they would have won that game easily. And with Reed and Lewis out, they really had no business even being in the game.

They are two different quarterbacks. Palmer lives and dies by his arm, if teams collapse the pocket then he's toast. Ben has a decent arm but its not at the same standard as palmer. Ben can use his feet to get out of certain situations which is a handy asset to have. He can make defenses look stupid by running right by the oncoming blitz.

Palmer plays like Marino where as Ben is a little more like a bigger and slower Elway able to hurt you in two ways. Neither of them will be as good as those greats though.

marcuz said:
They are two different quarterbacks. Palmer lives and dies by his arm, if teams collapse the pocket then he's toast. Ben has a decent arm but its not at the same standard as palmer. Ben can use his feet to get out of certain situations which is a handy asset to have. He can make defenses look stupid by running right by the oncoming blitz.

Palmer plays like Marino where as Ben is a little more like a bigger and slower Elway able to hurt you in two ways. Neither of them will be as good as those greats though.

Well, I can't say I agree with those comparisons. Marino is arguably the greatest QB of all time but he was a statue and was probably the most immobile QB I've ever watched play. Palmer is bigger, more athletic and has a better arm. As I said before, I would probably compare him to Troy Aikman or maybe a young Drew Bledsoe. But Palmer will be better than those players, he is already having a better season in his 2nd year than either of those QBs had throughout their whole career. Aikman wasn't actually that good of a QB, he only threw more than 17 touchdowns in a season once, he was just surrounded by great players. Roethlisberger is more mobile than Palmer but he is neither the scrambler nor the freakish passer that John Elway was. Elway was the comeback king and would have led them to a couple of touchdowns against the Ravens in the last quarter. From the Steelers fans I have talked to on the net, they have compared him to a bigger, faster version of former Pittsburgh QB Terry Bradshaw who won 4 superbowls with the Steelers in the 70s and 80s.

coasting said:
Well, I can't say I agree with those comparisons. Marino is arguably the greatest QB of all time but he was a statue and was probably the most immobile QB I've ever watched play. Palmer is bigger, more athletic and has a better arm. As I said before, I would probably compare him to Troy Aikman or maybe a young Drew Bledsoe..

Yes but Marino's greatest asset was his arm and like Palmer he isnt going to beat anybody with his feet. Troy was a very smart QB who looked after the football and was protected by a great running game and awesome OL. Palmer has a stronger arm than Aikman hence why i compared him to a Marino. Both Palmer and Marino made and in palmers case still do make their money off that right arm.

As for Palmer having a better arm than Marino well other than John Elway i havent seen many better arms in the 20 odd years i've been watching the sport.

Roethlisberger is more mobile than Palmer but he is neither the scrambler nor the freakish passer that John Elway was. Elway was the comeback king and would have led them to a couple of touchdowns against the Ravens in the last quarter. From the Steelers fans I have talked to on the net, they have compared him to a bigger, faster version of former Pittsburgh QB Terry Bradshaw who won 4 superbowls with the Steelers in the 70s and 80s.

Elway was not a good comparison but i was rushed for time and he was the first name that popped into my head. Bradshaw was not a brilliant QB much like Aikman he was a talented QB at the right place at the right time.

Ben makes it hard for defences to come after him, his ability to make yards with his feet and keep opponants guessing sets him apart from Carson. It all depends on what QB you want i suppose. If you have a dominant running game then Ben will suit you perfectly. Rudi Johnson is a handy running back but the Bengals greatest strength is their passing game and Palmer will light it up more times than not if given the right amount of protection.

Palmer will star behind a decent offensive line, Roethlisbegr does not need great protection to make an impact.

Well, all I can say is I'm glad Palmer plays for my team and I'd much rather have him than Roethlisberger, who I think is a solid field general but I don't rate him that highly as a QB. Even forgetting about CP for a moment, there are a number of other young QBs I would take before him, like Eli Manning. Marcus, you say Bradshaw and Aikman were not brilliant QBs but were surrounded by great talent and to me this is exactly what Ben Roethlisberger is. The Steelers would still win with cruddy Tommy Maddox but without Carson Palmer, the Bengals would be 2-6 not 6-2. Besides mobility, Palmer has it over Ben in every other way and with a QB passing is what matters most. You also imply Ben does not get great protection but their O-Line is as good as anyones in the AFC IMO, certainly as good as the Bengals O-Line.

coasting said:
You also imply Ben does not get great protection but their O-Line is as good as anyones in the AFC IMO, certainly as good as the Bengals O-Line.

I agree completely, the point i was making is that because of the fact he can use his feet well means that he avoids pressure better than most. If he hasnt got a great offensive line he has the tools to deal with the pressure better.

I do not rate Palmer at all and i feel the Bengals should trade him to the cowboys as quickly as possible. Tony Romo would look great in a bengals jersey. ;)

Both the steelers and bengals fans dont have to worry about the QB position for the next ten years with two quality young QB's starting. Be glad your not a 'boys fan having to watch makeshift QB's try and play the position every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back