Teams Cincinnati Bengals - Who Dey

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assholes and opinions, right? Still, Taylor does deserve to be on the hot seat and not feel safe on a long term contract like he apparently is. Bengals do like to hold a HC to the long term and ride him out, but Taylor has certainly not been McVay-like as promised.

He didn't have a roster like McVay did when he took over its was aging and no real superstars.

He didn't have a roster like McVay did when he took over its was aging and no real superstars.
Id disagree a little with that, the Bengals roster has always been very talented, and a lot of young studs too, certainly enough talent at the key positions both O and D.

But even if I'm wrong, certainly this year there are no excuses for a non-playoff season.

Hes not the innovative offensive mind that he was portrayed as/ people thought he was going to be. You don't need players to show that. Hes very vanilla.

Bengals add Ken Anderson, Ken Riley to inaugural Ring of Honor class

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2021, 9:19 AM EDT

Cincinnati Bengals

Getty Images

The Bengals officially have doubled the size of the franchise’s inaugural Ring of Honor class.

The team announced on Thursday morning that quarterback Ken Anderson and defensive back Ken Riley will join team founder Paul Brown and left tackle Anthony Muñoz as the charter members of the group.

The ceremony will occur on September 30, at halftime of a home game against the Jaguars. That same night, the Bengals will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the 1981 Super Bowl team.

“The Bengals organization is very special to me, and I’m so proud to be a part of the inaugural class,” Anderson said. “We have a great football tradition. It’s one of winning, it’s one of playing hard. That goes back to the Paul Brown days. I’m glad that can be recognized. I think back to those days because I think those days are coming again.”

Anderson may indeed be right, especially with Joe Burrow playing so well last year as a rookie. If healthy, the Bengals could be taking another step toward becoming a consistent contender, like they were when Anderson played.

Reports from training camp are that Burrow is looking bad, due to being timid with his knee. Defense not allowed to touch QB yet anytime bodies are near, hes lifting his plant leg to avoid any potential accident, and his passes are thus lame, falling short and floating about without any power in them. Only completing less than 50% and nothing over 10 yards.

However, it's obviously premature to conclude anything. Hes only just come back from major knee surgery, only a few days into camp, first padded practice, he needs time to build confidence in his leg.

But the criticism is not being placed on Burrow for all this, but on the organization for not drafting a Tackle at the top of the 1st, but focusing on another not needed shiny toy (receiver).

Joe Burrow has struggled badly with interceptions and inconsistency in training camp.
The Athletic's Jay Morrison and Paul Dehner Jr. report that the Bengals offense is turning the ball over multiple times in every practice. Burrow's struggles have been particularly noteworthy. "Throws that felt like layups last year are dropping harmlessly away from receivers or easily broken up by multiple defenders." The Bengals offensive line has also been a concern. One of Burrow's better throws to Ja'Marr Chase was only possible because Trey Hendrickson slowed down on his way to the franchise quarterback. It's the first week of August, and Burrow is less than nine months removed from a major knee injury. There's no need to over react to early training camp reports. Still, the Bengals ability to protect Burrow has been concern throughout the entire offseason. It will be all the more critical to provide a clean pocket if Burrow is at less than peak form to begin the season.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 4, 2021, 11:08 AM ET

Zac Taylor insists “there’s no cause for panic” as Joe Burrow, offense struggle

Posted by Charean Williams on August 4, 2021, 3:29 PM EDT

Bengals reaceiver Tyler Boyd‘s assessment of Joe Burrow is that the quarterback looks good but is “kind of a little iffy on his knee,” which was surgically repaired after an ACL tear last season. But it’s not just Burrow.
Reports out of the team’s camp are that the offense is struggling.

Fortunately for the Bengals, they have time to figure things out with the Sept. 12 season opener against the Vikings still more than a month away.

“I think it’s the whole unit right now. We’re just getting a feel for each other,” Bengals coach Zac Taylor said Wednesday, via NFL Media. “You know, you’d like to be throwing touchdowns on every play right now, but we’ve got some progress to be made. But there’s no cause for panic for any reason for that. We’ve still got 39 days before our first game. We’ve got a lot of practices left to be had. I’m excited because we know we can continue to get better and be more detailed, and that’s going to come.”

Burrow was a candidate for offensive rookie of the year until his knee injury. The No. 1 overall choice in 2020 completed 65.3 percent of his passes for 2,688 yards with 13 touchdowns and five interceptions while running for 142 yards and three scores.

In training camp, Burrow continues to seek to get back there.

“There’s different tracks guys are on right now,” Taylor said. “I’m encouraged from what I see from Joe and when I meet with Joe, and again we’re going to complete more balls as we go forward, we all know that.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back