Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
City commits $20m to AFL stadium
October 10th, 2008

THE Gold Coast City Council has agreed to pay up to $20 million towards a re-developed AFL stadium at Carrara.

However, that is conditional on the AFL awarding a licence to the GC17 bid and developing a stadium on the council-owned Carrara site.

Mayor Ron Clarke said the commitment also depended on council funds being directed towards the upgrading of Carrara to a 27,000 seat stadium and that full responsibility for the upgrading be guaranteed by the AFL.

As well, the council is demanding `sufficient funding from the State and Federal governments to facilitate the redevelopment'.

``It is a wonderful opportunity for the city of the Gold Coast to obtain, for an investment of $20 million, a facility worth 10 times that sum, as well as gaining a club participating in the AFL national competition, with all the economic, social and community benefits this will provide,'' Cr Clarke said.

Cr Clarke said an upgraded AFL stadium at Carrara would also be able to be used for a range of other sporting and social events, including the Commonwealth Games.

I guess the $20m is in addition to the land value of Carrara.

Provided the light rail from Nerang to Broadbeach goes ahead this may be the best option. Hopefully the Federal and State govts contribute as well.

I guess the $20m is in addition to the land value of Carrara.

Provided the light rail from Nerang to Broadbeach goes ahead this may be the best option. Hopefully the Federal and State govts contribute as well.

I think that is a given now , that the new transit system will run right past the oval from Surfers to Nerang station

I used the bus system (free) from Pacific Fair to the ground and back a couple of times last year and it was pretty good and I would use it again but I lightrail from the ground to Nerang station would be a real winner as for people like me that live in Brisbane and have a young family (3 kids) a train and light rail would be cheap, easy and a bit of fun.

Hope it all goes ahead. Go the Coasters

I think that is a given now , that the new transit system will run right past the oval from Surfers to Nerang station

Where did you get that info? All I can find on GCCC and QT sites is from Helensvale -> Parkwood -> Surfers -> Broadbeach -> Coolangatta

Mayor Ron Clarke said the commitment also depended on council funds being directed towards the upgrading of Carrara to a 27,000 seat stadium and that full responsibility for the upgrading be guaranteed by the AFL.

Of course they will. They'll do anything to get this franchise up and about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back