City v Country

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
As usual State of Origin is in the news at this time of year and the lack of it in the AFL is put down to many factors.

One factor is of course which teams would play, given there isn't two absolutely dominant states like there is in rugby league.

Was thinking of other ways to look at it, and thought City v Country would be interesting. It would be a way of all taking part regardless of state. We have the advantage in Australia of having very large, well-defined cities, so while drawing the boundaries does have its challenges, it can be done pretty effectively. So I had a crack. Basically if you're from a state or territory capital (Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Hobart) I put them in City, and everybody else in Country.

City

B: M Hurley (Macleod) - D Talia (Greenvale) - E Yeo (East Fremantle)

HB: H Shaw (Diamond Creek) - A Rance (Noranda) - R Laird (Kenilworth)

C: A Gaff (Kew) - JP Kennedy (East Sandringham) - C Ward (Spotswood)

HF: R Gray (East Burwood) - J Daniher (Aberfeldie) - T Greene (Ashburton)

F: E Betts (Templestowe) - J Riewoldt (Clarence) - M Bontempelli (Eltham)

R: N Naitanui (Midvale) - J Kelly (East Brighton) - T Cotchin (West Preston Lakeside)

I: T Mitchell (Ashburton) - J Macrae (Kew Rovers) - D Shiel (Edithvale - Aspendale) - M Murphy (Doncaster)

Country

B: M Hibberd (Somerville) - J McGovern (North Albany) - N Jetta (Bunbury)

HB: J Lever (Romsey) - R Tarrant (South Mildura) - E Wood (Camperdown)

C: R Sloane (Upwey-Tecoma) - O Wines (Echuca) - N Fyfe (Lake Grace)

HF: P Dangerfield (Anglesea) - JJ Kennedy (Northampton) - D Martin (Castlemaine)

F: C Wingard (Imperials Murray Bridge) - T Lynch (Sorrento) - L Franklin (Dowerin)

R: P Ryder (Geraldton) - P Cripps (Northampton) - J Selwood (Sandhurst)

I: D Zorko (Surfers Paradise) - S Higgins (Newtown & Chilwell) - M Crouch (Ballarat) - S Pendlebury (Sale)

Thoughts...

- The very elite top-tier talent out of the country is phenomenal - Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin etc

- Both teams boast very hard midfields that would be well matched... you'd probably give it to Country on talent. But the City is hardly a pushover... Kennedy, Ward, Macrae, Gray, Mitchell, Shiel, Kelly, Cotchin, Murphy etc

- At first glance I thought Country would win fairly comfortably, but looking closely, I'm not so sure. The teams strengths and weaknesses actually line up a bit, which could lead to a very well-matched game. The Country forward line is awesome, but so is the City backline... many of the best defenders seem to be city slickers

- Likewise, while still very strong, the City forward line looks second-best... but the Country defenders do too, and may be easier to get hold of.

Would be a cracker of a game. What do you reckon? Who have I left out or put in the wrong team? (Did it pretty quickly)

(And yes I know this game won't happen, it's a hypothetical - though it would have legs as a charity game in terms of a real country game, given how cynical people are about Essendon v Geelong. If nothing else it's a reminder of how much amazing talent comes from regional areas).

As usual State of Origin is in the news at this time of year and the lack of it in the AFL is put down to many factors.

One factor is of course which teams would play, given there isn't two absolutely dominant states like there is in rugby league.

Was thinking of other ways to look at it, and thought City v Country would be interesting. It would be a way of all taking part regardless of state. We have the advantage in Australia of having very large, well-defined cities, so while drawing the boundaries does have its challenges, it can be done pretty effectively. So I had a crack. Basically if you're from a state or territory capital (Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Hobart) I put them in City, and everybody else in Country.

City

R: N Naitanui (Midvale) - J Kelly (East Brighton) - T Cotchin (West Preston Lakeside)

I: T Mitchell (Ashburton) - J Macrae (Kew Rovers) - D Shiel (Edithvale - Aspendale) - M Murphy (Doncaster)

Country

HF: P Dangerfield (Anglesea) - JJ Kennedy (Northampton) - D Martin (Castlemaine)

F: C Wingard (Imperials Murray Bridge) - T Lynch (Sorrento) - L Franklin (Dowerin)

I: D Zorko (Surfers Paradise) - S Higgins (Newtown & Chilwell) - M Crouch (Ballarat) - S Pendlebury (Sale)

Thoughts...

- The very elite top-tier talent out of the country is phenomenal - Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin etc

- Both teams boast very hard midfields that would be well matched... you'd probably give it to Country on talent. But the City is hardly a pushover... Kennedy, Ward, Macrae, Gray, Mitchell, Shiel, Kelly, Cotchin, Murphy etc

- At first glance I thought Country would win fairly comfortably, but looking closely, I'm not so sure. The teams strengths and weaknesses actually line up a bit, which could lead to a very well-matched game. The Country forward line is awesome, but so is the City backline... many of the best defenders seem to be city slickers

- Likewise, while still very strong, the City forward line looks second-best... but the Country defenders do too, and may be easier to get hold of.

Would be a cracker of a game. What do you reckon? Who have I left out or put in the wrong team? (Did it pretty quickly)

(And yes I know this game won't happen, it's a hypothetical - though it would have legs as a charity game in terms of a real country game, given how cynical people are about Essendon v Geelong. If nothing else it's a reminder of how much amazing talent comes from regional areas).

a far better idea than SoO

but does Adelaide get considered as a city or country town?

City

Country

Thoughts...

I actually really like this idea.

I actually really like this idea.

As I said, I think it could be built into a good charity game given the worthy cause of mental health and well-being in country areas. It can be hosted at any stadium and rotated every year.

Of course the hurdle would be getting the players and clubs to back it and take it seriously.

Yeah the hardest thing would be definitions. To describe SP as rural is clearly silly but you otherwise slide down a slippery slope into a messy abyss of bad definitions.

Maybe it’s population based...?

There’s a few issues. The way AFL Vic classify metro and country makes some outer suburban areas “country”, when they’re not. You just have to draw a line. I think the 8 capital cities give one team a big enough catchment.

As I said, I think it could be built into a good charity game given the worthy cause of mental health and well-being in country areas. It can be hosted at any stadium and rotated every year.

Of course the hurdle would be getting the players and clubs to back it and take it seriously.
Bunk - you’re on a winner mate. I love this idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a few issues. The way AFL Vic classify metro and country makes some outer suburban areas “country”, when they’re not. You just have to draw a line. I think the 8 capital cities give one team a big enough catchment.
Easily. In fact it’s grossly unfair. Good thing that the small population of country kids are bored shitless and have a disportionate number of footy obsessed kids

Edit: In fact you may need to add in a few outer suburbs

How about the person lived in a local government area with a population less than ...15,000 for most of their adolescent years? Maybe a lower population? When is the population counted - then or now?

Can it be sponsored by the ABS? He he

Ok ... now we are in messy definition territory

:(

BTW: I think this is the best way to do it in spite of its messiness

Upwey is about the same distance to the CBD as Edithvale and is still part of the outer suburbs, so surely Sloane counts as a City lad?

Yarra Ranges league, which is Country according to AFL Vic.

There'll always be examples at the margins, but if you draw a line it doesn't need to take away from the overall concept.

It's a suburb of the Gold Coast, a couple of kms from the centre of the Gold Coast CBD.

It's not the state capital, but it's not a country/regional area either.

Another example.

Yarra Ranges league, which is Country according to AFL Vic.

There'll always be examples at the margins, but if you draw a line it doesn't need to take away from the overall concept.

Another example.
Edithvale-Aspendale is part of the Peninsula League, so technically country as well. Plus he played for Eastern Ranges, which has always been a metro catchment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back