Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the impression it was something recovered from her body they weren't aware was either capable of holding any kind of useful evidence, or they didnt realise they had the ability to test & attempt retrieving anything useful from it. When made aware, they sent it off & were successful. I think the press first called it a forensic link to KK & later said its actually a DNA link.

Same impression I had, body jewellery, IUD or similar intimate item.

What is the time frame on this? how long since charged?

As a poster said above this is taking an inordinate amount of time. While I respect the need to get the process accurate etc justice delayed is justice denied and this is becoming farcical. Innocent or Guilty (and i don't know) all parties (victim/unjustly accused) would want this dealt with efficiently as possible.

So what's the problem? Too much evidence (hire more detectives)
Not enough (dismiss the charge)
Back log in court (hire more workers)

Bit like the Bourke St case in Melbourne where the judge apparently summoned all parties and told them to gtf on with it.

As a poster said above this is taking an inordinate amount of time. While I respect the need to get the process accurate etc justice delayed is justice denied and this is becoming farcical. Innocent or Guilty (and i don't know) all parties (victim/unjustly accused) would want this dealt with efficiently as possible.

So what's the problem? Too much evidence (hire more detectives)
Not enough (dismiss the charge)
Back log in court (hire more workers)

Bit like the Bourke St case in Melbourne where the judge apparently summoned all parties and told them to gtf on with it.
Or all of the above. Adding in
4. Defence has the right to consider ALL the evidence before pleading.

Given the alleged amount 1.5m documents then it could take time. Though I wonder how much of that is filler and even the Prosecution are going through it all and paring it down to a manageable size detailing the specific areas related to the charges

Given the alleged amount 1.5m documents then it could take time. Though I wonder how much of that is filler and even the Prosecution are going through it all and paring it down to a manageable size detailing the specific areas related to the charges
If you read previous articles its states and stated he was going to plead not guilty before the new charge was rolled out .

Then chuck it out. Professional novelists would not go through 1.5 million documents in their lives.

If it seriously is taking that much of a convoluted story then no. I know there must be thorough proof (believe me I am all for air tight, sealed, snapped shut cases) but that many documents doesn't make clear concise in you face let's hang the bastard proof. That is clutching at straws.
Australia's most expensive case could also be Australia's most largest cover up .
1.5 million documents supporting what information appeals to the public about car washing enthusiastic people , what about the later charge and car calling out , I wouldn't be surprised that there is a government cover up taking place .... As we speak

like your user name btw

What are you talking about there? I don't know about cover ups but they are trying to win a war of attrition or have him bumped Carl Williams style and then say justice done.

If it seriously is taking that much of a convoluted story then no. I know there must be thorough proof (believe me I am all for air tight, sealed, snapped shut cases) but that many documents doesn't make clear concise in you face let's hang the bastard proof. That is clutching at straws.

You are drawing a long bow to say that the high number of documents means that the story must be convoluted. Web history for example could amount to a massive amount of documents without requiring a story that is particularly complex. It could just point to patterns of behavior.

You are drawing a long bow to say that the high number of documents means that the story must be convoluted. Web history for example could amount to a massive amount of documents without requiring a story that is particularly complex. It could just point to patterns of behavior.

So get the relevant ones. I know investigations take time. But 1.5 million of them?

Then chuck it out. Professional novelists would not go through 1.5 million documents in their lives.

What are you talking about there? I don't know about cover ups but they are trying to win a war of attrition or have him bumped Carl Williams style and then say justice done.
Yet again you fail to understand what 'beyond reasonable doubt' means. There's no such thing as "thorough proof". And there's no war of attrition, we're waiting on his own legal team to go through it all. The next step comes July 25th, apparently, and that's been the case since the last appearance in January.

So get the relevant ones. I know investigations take time. But 1.5 million of them?
To get to the relevant documents they ALL have to be read and understood to find what's relevant and what's not. Do you reckon they should throw out documents they haven't even read?

As a poster said above this is taking an inordinate amount of time. While I respect the need to get the process accurate etc justice delayed is justice denied and this is becoming farcical.
Theres currently 5 murder cases before the WA Supreme Court that took longer between commencing in the lower court and being committed to Supreme Court than this case has taken so far & if this case moves to Supreme Court prior to 23 November 2018 & mid January 2019 respectively, it'll have taken less time than 2 of those cases did. Its obviously not that uncommon & particularly if your facing 9 charges of which 3 are for murder.

You've made a statement with no visual facts it's pretty easy to claim things but no link bud so ?
Put pudding in bowl

Obviously you feel very strongly about this, but you haven’t provided us with any facts to support your claims. You just constantly spout the same claims over and over and expect everyone to just believe you, but you don’t back it up with evidence.

I’d suggest you take you’re own advice. Provide evidence for your theory or stop derailing the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno about barista but here's a lawyer he once was working with
His lawyer, Genevieve Cleary, said her client had initially intended for his case to be committed to the WA Supreme Court today, but the new charge laid last week of murdering Ms Spiers meant an adjournment was necessary.

The court heard the delay will also allow the prosecution to disclose all the material in the case, which prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo said ran in excess of 1.5 million documents.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9486810

Was going to plead not guilty . It's okay because if he was going to plead guilty he would plead guilty wouldn't sir .

Telstra was widely regarded as a " Job for life " in the late eighties and early 90s. Super Generous leave and long service entitlements, 38 hour work week etc etc.

Another significant employment benefit was the assignment of a company car, wagon or van which could be taken home after work and on weekends.
It is a nice financial advantage to have a late model vehicle available 24/7 which does not incur any registration, fuel tyres or other costs.
Particularly if you are fond of driving.
Rorts were commonplace, involving personal use, shopping , running errands for family and friends , theft of fuel, overstatement of travelling distance etc,etc.
The next step up from this involved using the car for some form part time income...., a morning newspaper delivery run, courier work , unlicensed taxi work....of course any payment was 100 percent profit.
Because of Perths woeful Taxi service at the time of the Claremont rampage it was not uncommon to see stranded nightclub revellers at 2 or 3 in the morning who had already been waiting for a cab for hours offering "cashies ' to any drivers out and about at that time of the morning. Easy cash money for someone out "cruising" for free.
When evidence is forthcoming about the charges that BRE faces IMO information concerning the work vehicles he was assigned will be crucial.

Last edited:
Because of Perths woeful Taxi service at the time of the Claremont rampage it was not uncommon to see stranded nightclub revellers at 2 or 3 in the morning who had already been waiting for a cab for hours offering "cashies ' to any drivers out and about at that time of the morning. Easy cash money for someone out "cruising" for free.
When evidence is forthcoming about the charges that BRE faces IMO information concerning the work vehicles he was assigned will be crucial.

You think he might have rebadged his Telstra vehicle as a taxi? White station wagons were actually being used as taxis back then.

You think he might have rebadged his Telstra vehicle as a taxi? White station wagons were actually being used as taxis back then.

May not have had too late model white vehicle two way radio fitted, clean cut apparently sober driver, who care if it hasn't got a proper taxi sign on top as long as it gets them home...people were really desperate for rides ,,,,,the Taxi service was atrocious...an absolute joke for a Major City.

I think I mentioned this in the very first CSK thread. My wife stated that she would have gotten in to a car with him as she knew and worked with his ex-wife, and he used to pick his ex-wife from her workplace and would be in regular contact with staff from the law firm while he waited for her. So it's not inconceivable that he knew or had met his three known victims, he may not have needed to disguise his vehicle.

I think I mentioned this in the very first CSK thread. My wife stated that she would have gotten in to a car with him as she knew and worked with his ex-wife, and he used to pick his ex-wife from her workplace and would be in regular contact with staff from the law firm while he waited for her. So it's not inconceivable that he knew or had met his three known victims, he may not have needed to disguise his vehicle.

Yes, I remember that and also that the white Camry wagon was the family car? So they only had the one car and Wife1 didn't drive? I don't think his second wife had her own car either. Their choice or his but suspect he was so controlling he didn't like them having any freedom of movement.

Agree, he might have known them. Even Sarah, the place she was working I think had links to Telstra and given we've got no clue as to what evidence they might have there (unless some of Sarah's clothes were found near Jane) maybe that's it.

Contrast the very little information we're getting to the point we don't even know what the evidence is against, to the US on the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer where the same 'right to fair trial' rules apply basically. No way any reasonable person could say imo BRE might have been disadvantaged a skerrik by the media's reporting.

BRE's got more protection around him in this case than I've ever seen before and he'll have benefit of fair and public trial with the best lawyers our money can buy.

There are that many people I wouldn't like to try and put a number on, so affected by the murders of those girls who's lives haven't been normal since the 90s and never will be again. I personally couldn't care less he might not have a normal existence again if he's found not guilty.
The police are being very very careful who they tell what, even to the victims/families.
And don't forget the victims who survived their assaults. The ones who have spent the last 20 or so years getting over a violent sexual assault, just to have the police drag up all the horror again, forced to remember precisely all the terrifying details of their escape from an alleged SK. That sort of s**t screws with your brain.

Theres currently 5 murder cases before the WA Supreme Court that took longer between commencing in the lower court and being committed to Supreme Court than this case has taken so far & if this case moves to Supreme Court prior to 23 November 2018 & mid January 2019 respectively, it'll have taken less time than 2 of those cases did. Its obviously not that uncommon & particularly if your facing 9 charges of which 3 are for murder.
I have been told by someone close to the investigation that the trial could be 12 months away, and could go for around 6 months. That's if it even goes to trial.
If the defendant pleads guilty, it would lead to a much quicker resolution for the families. 18 months is a long time for a verdict. I predict the plea will be not guilty though.

I have been told by someone close to the investigation that the trial could be 12 months away, and could go for around 6 months. That's if it even goes to trial.
If the defendant pleads guilty, it would lead to a much quicker resolution for the families. 18 months is a long time for a verdict. I predict the plea will be not guilty though.
Even if it were to proceed as you've stated it would still only be 3 years between an arrest and a verdict, which may feel like forever, but in reality its not & particularly in light of the complexities of the case and the sheer number of charges. At the end of the day it'll progress as & when it does & everyone will just have to deal with that no matter who they are or how stressful it may become & as unfortunate as that may be.
Personally, I'm just pleased they've finally been able to progress & I think its far more important to know that whatever happens from here, that its thorough & accurate & the outcome is just. After waiting more then 2 decades to realise there is actually hope this may finally be solved, the time that process takes now is almost irrelevant IMO. All sides will want this resolved sooner than later & what will be will be, thats just how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back