Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong guy I reccon. They've got bugger all evidence so opted for judge only. How convenient. Lock him up, no one sees any of the evidence, police force looks good again. "Job well done"

Wrong guy I reccon. They've got bugger all evidence so opted for judge only. How convenient. Lock him up, no one sees any of the evidence, police force looks good again. "Job well done"

Wrong guy I reccon.
A 60000 page DNA report contradicts that. Fibre evidence is pretty damaging also

They've got bugger all evidence so opted for judge only.
They have more evidence than they know what to do with (and more still coming in) and a fair jury trial would be near impossible, everyone in Perth wants someone to hang for these crimes. There is also the extreme nature of some of the evidence that has been taken into consideration.

Lock him up, no one sees any of the evidence
Well he is locked up and we have heard of most of the propensity evidence and quite a lot about the DNA and Fibres evidence etc. Not to mention the expected 9 months it will take to get through it all in trial.

police force looks good again
What do you consider a bad look? What is that ratio of solved to unsolved crimes again? Or did you mean the Macro Task Force specifically?

job well done
Agreed, A successful prosecution of any guilty party is a job well done

What a strange hobby you have...

I bet these things didn't have GPS Melsy. I wonder how long the Telcos now have to keep cell phone information for? Was it even kept at the time of the CSK?

Hi Craigos, I'd say definite NO on having information from the CSK time. This report below talks of the compulsory keeping Metadata for 2 years as of the date of the article being 13/4/2017.

QUOTE:
"As of today, every major Australian telco and internet service provider is required to capture and store customer's "metadata" for a minimum of two years under the Australian Federal Government's mandatory data scheme."

https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/mandatory-data-retention-what-you-need-to-know

https://thewest.com.au/politics/sta...-order-claremont-trial-flagged-ng-b881194653z

Claremont trial
The cost of prosecuting the alleged Claremont serial killer is expected to reach almost $6 million this year.
Bradley Robert Edwards will stand trial in July this year, accused of murdering Sarah Spiers, 18, Jane Rimmer, 23, and Ciara Glennon, 27, in the late 1990s.
Treasurer Ben Wyatt has set aside another $2.6 million in the 2019/2020 State Budget to cover the anticipated costs of the prosecution this year.
A total of $3.3 million has already been put towards the prosecution of the “complex and high-profile case”, as Budget papers called it, over the past two years.
It is already the longest running and most expensive murder investigation in Australian history.
The trial is expected to last nine months.

The numbers for 2019/2020 reported look at wee bit low compared to the $100 million being touted in the media last week.
Possibly misreported in this evenings West Australia article.

They don't appear to include the cost for the defence (the bit that is legal aid taxpayer funded).

Edit: having "2019/2020" and "this year" in the same sentence, suggests that they are talking about putting an additional 2.6 million aside for the period of 1 July 2019 - 31 Dec 2019, in addition to the 10's of millions already earmarked for the case between 1 July 2019 and 30 June 2020.

The $3.3 million figure appears to refer to historical costs only, and not future costs.

If they had presented the data in a table and showed costs to date and projected future costs that would have been much clearer.
They probably just copied txt from a press release or budget document.

Last edited:
1: I doubt that they would risk that again.

2: They looked bad enough for a long time and still look bad and will possibly look even worse after given the mistakes they made are coming to light. I think it’s probably new people in charge after 20 years anyway so who do they want to make look good?

I don't think you know what a judge only hearing means.

It is appropriate to be judge only. I have no direct involvement in the case but privy to the insights of at least six witnesses, someone who grew up with the Edwards family, the neighbour of Edwards in Kewdale, some one who drove a victim to the pub, someone who employed a victim and even one of the victims families who are given intimate case details. Given that's the case, loads of others would also know information reducing the ability to have a fair jury and thius it's hard not to suggest a judge only trial is appropriate.

Last edited:
A chance meeting this morning walking the dog through the cemetery. I met on of the people who discovered the "knickers" of the Karrakatta victim.

He also mentioned that one of the other ladies from the local dog park saw the telstra/ telecom van which may have spurred the door knock a little while back.

Last edited:
I don't think you know what a judge only hearing means.

It is appropriate to be judge only. I have no direct involvement in the case but privy to the insights of at least six witnesses, someone who grew up with the Edwards family, the neighbour of Edwards in Kewdale and even one of the victims families who are given intimate case details. Given that's the case, loads of others would also know information reducing the ability to have a fair jury and thius it's hard not to suggest a judge only trial is appropriate.

You are absolutely correct , Perth was a much smaller place population wise and it did not take much to know someone involved somehow , Im only pointing this out to confirm to people outside of the State what you have said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think a poster or maybe more than one from then, is involved in the Trial?

I doubt that would be the case BlueE. Anybody from Perth over the years would only be one degree of separation I imagine even if they weren't from Claremont of knowing someone who was affected by or connected to someone who was affected by the murders and the twenty plus years investigation. I'm from Victoria and know a couple whose information I trust to be correct.

It doesn't mean they have any direct involvement in the trial.

The heavies in Casuarina could not care less , if guilty , this is the guy who fooled everyone for over 20 years , if anything he will be protected , he has status

I don't have any personal or occupational experiences when it comes to the sociological systems and structures of inmate codes inside our prisons, so maybe I'm being naive and I mean no disrespect, but I must admit that when this topic is raised I find it difficult to accept that out of several possible alternatives prisoners/inmates would "care less" and shrug off the crimes its alleged he has committed against women based on the time frame between when they were committed to now especially if he's ever found guilty.

I can understand the lack of interest from inmates/prisoners on a long running case when the person responsible is still evading capture.
However it makes sense that once they have someone pegged for the crimes awaiting trial whether pleading guilty or not would induce interest and draw attention to the accused and the offences its alleged he's committed, by other inmates.
Surely given the high profile and notoriety of the murders, if found guilty, would mean he'd be a "marked man" with calamitous consequences "inside" evoking intense desires from other prisoners/inmates to target him.

Even when I consider the notion that time may factor in some kind of an apathetic stance in historic crimes/cases with inmates, I'm still not entirely convinced that, that view would exist or he'd have gained some kind of "status" because of it.
Isn't there zero tolerance towards those who are accused of or convicted of raping and murdering women?
Even if this time frame ideology is customary I'm just not sure how it would apply to this case or any other case/s that involve crimes against women especially of this magnitude.

Is it not more about WHAT an inmate has been convicted of (or even alleged to of done) than WHEN?

I don't have any personal or occupational experiences when it comes to the sociological systems and structures of inmate codes inside our prisons, so maybe I'm being naive and I mean no disrespect, but I must admit that when this topic is raised I find it difficult to accept that out of several possible alternatives prisoners/inmates would "care less" and shrug off the crimes its alleged he has committed against women based on the time frame between when they were committed to now especially if he's ever found guilty.

I can understand the lack of interest from inmates/prisoners on a long running case when the person responsible is still evading capture.
However it makes sense that once they have someone pegged for the crimes awaiting trial whether pleading guilty or not would induce interest and draw attention to the accused and the offences its alleged he's committed, by other inmates.
Surely given the high profile and notoriety of the murders, if found guilty, would mean he'd be a "marked man" with calamitous consequences "inside" evoking intense desires from other prisoners/inmates to target him.

Even when I consider the notion that time may factor in some kind of an apathetic stance in historic crimes/cases with inmates, I'm still not entirely convinced that, that view would exist or he'd have gained some kind of "status" because of it.
Isn't there zero tolerance towards those who are accused of or convicted of raping and murdering women?
Even if this time frame ideology is customary I'm just not sure how it would apply to this case or any other case/s that involve crimes against women especially of this magnitude.

Is it not more about WHAT an inmate has been convicted of (or even alleged to of done) than WHEN?

Its just my opinion , I may be wrong , it does not matter either way

They're still protected.I do know prisons are full of drug addicts so they don't care about much, other than getting the next pill. They are medicated in prison so that they don't freak out. The Greenough murder is still in Maximum care in Casuarina. He's in a self care contained unit. At least he was a good 8-10 years ago. When you go into the prison system in W.A. you get the full blood works done first to see what drugs the prisoner is on so they know how to best medicate them. It's rare that a prisoner comes in clean but it does happen.
It's generally child killers/rapists that get roughed up & not all murderers. Yes all victims were very young when they were murdered but most in the system, the CSK is just a murderer & majority of the population wouldn't have even been born when BRE allegedly committed these acts.
Times have changed so much. When you care about drugs most of all, they won't bother with anyone as long as the medications keep on coming in.He might be set upon by another prisoner to gain notoriety & a few slaps on the back from the higher ups but if they do, they'll be doing it so that they've made a friend who is closer to getting drugs into the prison. That's all that matters, who can get them the drugs & not the victims.
Bikies still rule the roost in prisons but, they won't put their arse on the line for a junkie

I doubt that would be the case BlueE. Anybody from Perth over the years would only be one degree of separation I imagine even if they weren't from Claremont of knowing someone who was affected by or connected to someone who was affected by the murders and the twenty plus years investigation. I'm from Victoria and know a couple whose information I trust to be correct.

It doesn't mean they have any direct involvement in the trial.
So I'm curious why 3 years of posts, 2012 -2015 have been removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back