Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Not even (contacting the employer) when the crime is committed by someone whilst they are at work, during their work hours, on their work premises, or their clients work premises?
Surely they can inform the employer, in the process of confirming with his employer, Telecom/Telstra, that the assault occurred on the job.

Or did they not bother contacting Telecom/Telstra if Hollywood Hospital confirmed with them that BRE was working for Telstra at the time and minutes of the assault and was legitimately on the premises and not trespassing too?

The 1991 work place assault was probably pretty hard to contain. An assault on a staff member you would think automatically went back to the employer. I ponder however today there be an obligation a workplace assault occurred from a safety perspective.

Different times, different policy and procedures with a hint of government telco security protocol.

The psychiatric reports will be very telling IMHO.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Being in stores, if that is at the telephone exchange, how much feted access did someone get to telephone conversations?

Given free reign home alone, this exchange would have been quite lucrative with easy phone taps on politicians, judges and anyone else that lived in the vicinity?

Is Telstra now bracing for an inquiry into phone tapping abuse by an employee who was stationed at that exchange? Apart from the absolute open security of analogue telephony along with virtually open internet modem connectivity, packet sniffing would have been a walk in the park being inside an exchange.

How much abuse of power occurred on phone tapping on an employee who had access to the infrastructure inside an exchange? Morals arent a strong point in this case.

Thanks BFEW
*EDIT
"Mr Edwards, in 1990, was working at Hollywood Hospital as a Telstra contractor when he attempted to drag a woman from her desk into a toilet block. "

"Mr Edwards, then 21, attacked the social worker from behind, stuffing a piece of fabric into the woman's mouth.

She kicked her attacker and broke free, with security guards holding Mr Edwards until police arrived."

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Is Telstra now bracing for an inquiry into phone tapping abuse by an employee who was stationed at that exchange?

Also, if BRE had a spent conviction and the Hollywood Hospital attack, was not reported in the media or widely known of within Telstra (if at all), then BRE and his physical and network access to Telstra systems and Networks, and his clients systems and networks, (particularly in the Australian Mission Critical Resources Industry) would have (or should have) been regarded as a high local, state and national security risk.

Same goes for those that knew of the accused's alleged Huntingdale teenage crimes and the rest of his alleged crimes (murder/rape etc).

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Also, if BRE had a spent conviction and the Hollywood Hospital attack, was not reported in the media or widely known of within Telstra (if at all), then BRE and his physical and network access to Telstra systems and Networks, and his clients systems and networks, (particularly in the Australian Mission Critical Resources Industry) would have (or should have) been regarded as a high local, state and national security risk.

Same goes for those that knew of the accused's alleged Huntingdale teenage crimes and the rest of his alleged crimes (murder/rape etc).

Telstra employees were somewhat considered vetted by the public of the time due to their government employment. This may have been the catalyst for some of the girls entering a vehicle initially, letting their guard down with the thought Telecom workers were subject to some security compliance in government.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Put in Telecom stores might have involved long periods of boredom looking at maps on walls and generally getting up to no good?

The mind boggles at the potential for ill will with that much power at the fingertips of the wrong person. Political conversations, police conversations, endless security breaches.

Girlnextdoor

All Australian
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Was the 1990 assault set down as a Spent Conviction (SC) for BRE? I've just been reading up on SC in Western Australia, and I had no idea that someone could commit a crime, have it made an SC, and then not even have it come up on a National Police Certificate?

"Having a conviction declared spent effectively limits the disclosure of that conviction. For example, a conviction which has been spent is not listed on a National Police Certificate. However, certain government departments, licensing bodies as well as the Police and Courts of Law have exemptions under the

Spent Convictions Act 1988

and have access to convictions that have been spent."

PS I know a lady who is currently trying to get an MRO against a very aggressive neighbour who has virtually tormented her for 2 years. This neighbour came onto her property (nearly 2 years ago now) and smashed things with a hammer and pulled down wiring, was filmed by CCTV doing it! He was charged by WAPOL and then had the charge made an SC (with many tears and begging that he'd lose his job). He got the SC and has continued to harass her and just this week the poor woman (76 years old) tried to take her own life and ended up in IC. She lived, but can no longer live in her own home due to the trauma!

Last edited:

Badge666

Cancelled
Jan 12, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone who has ever worked in a management level for any Major Company knows that you can have all the rules and regulations in the world in place regarding dismissal , sacking. termination of employment etc, etc but if the senior person in charge chooses to simply ,fudge, stonewall . obscifurate-, or simply totally ignore , then they certainly can.
Huntingdale-off to Bali.
Hollywood - keeps job
1996/1977 ..unlimited sick.annual and LSL as required
What else.....1991, ? 1988.?
Nice to have a guardian angel in times of trouble......

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe it was considered a mental health issue which meant someone had enough pull with police to convert it to psychiatric intervention?

Shifting to stores meant someone was based at say the telephone exchange looking after the stock orders until it was safe to put the employee out on the road again beyond some informal parole?

I would be interested to see who was in charge of all the video camera system implementation of the investigation and any listening equipment used to listen into LW? One listening system burst through Lances work ceiling.

Be mindful Telecom was a full government department and often government employees liased with police on some matters, especially Telecom that had other security systems linked to government and the likes.

Police were in the scout hall on Eric st I think. Not far from the local telephone exchange a kilometre away.
Telstra Stores Depot was at Miles St Kewdale, next door to the Telstra Depot on Kewdale Rd where the Technicians were based.
No one was based at exchanges.
Even technicians only attended an exchange if the task or breakdown required it.
My old school friend for instance told me that the longest task he ever had at an exchange was when Telstra changed all the decadic switching gear over to Pulse switching.
It took them two weeks to convert the Cannington exchange, and about the same to do the Waroona exchange. I believe that was around 2000 though.
I said 91, but it was probably 90. I think I heard my old school friend say the accused was transferred to Stores for six months, but his knowledge is only hearsay from a phone call to a source in the Emergency breakdown Team, who wasn't in the PABX Team when this event occurred. Maybe some in the PABX Team, other than the Team leader knew, but the source knew nothing about it. It might of been passed off as a downturn in PABX work to explain his shift to Stores amongst direct colleagues.
Working at Stores in Miles Rd Kewdale certainly would mean absolutely no customer interaction, and certainly no access to any operating telephone communications equipment.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Working at Stores in Miles Rd Kewdale certainly would mean absolutely no customer interaction, and certainly no access to any operating telephone communications equipment.

Unless he borrowed someone else's equipment or logins.

Last edited:
Not even (contacting the employer) when the crime is committed by someone whilst they are at work, during their work hours, on their work premises, or their clients work premises?
Surely they can inform the employer, in the process of confirming with his employer, Telecom/Telstra, that the assault occurred on the job.

Or did they not bother contacting Telecom/Telstra if Hollywood Hospital confirmed with them that BRE was working for Telstra at the time and minutes of the assault and was legitimately on the premises and not trespassing too?

From a practical perspective, you’d hope the police would informally inform or inadvertently inform the employer through investigation process. Such as a request to meet the superiors and say “can you tell me about BRE......have you noted any behavioural changes leading up to the assault, sexual assault?”

As from a confidential/ privacy perspective, they can not release details to employers, family or even to the accused.

Given the nature of the incident, the hospital would have known and no doubt raised the issue with Telstra.

I’m stunned he kept his job but I’m also stunned they didn’t catch BRE straight after the cemetery attack. There are loads of questions to be answered.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Unless he borrowed someone else's equipment or logins.
The timelines for when working at the Stirling highway, Cottesloe exchange will be interesting. If someone was over at Miles road, then trouble in Claremont might of stalled?

The timeline for work location will open pandoras box IMO

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Telstra Stores Depot was at Miles St Kewdale, next door to the Telstra Depot on Kewdale Rd where the Technicians were based.
No one was based at exchanges.
Even technicians only attended an exchange if the task or breakdown required it.
My old school friend for instance told me that the longest task he ever had at an exchange was when Telstra changed all the decadic switching gear over to Pulse switching.
It took them two weeks to convert the Cannington exchange, and about the same to do the Waroona exchange. I believe that was around 2000 though.
I said 91, but it was probably 90. I think I heard my old school friend say the accused was transferred to Stores for six months, but his knowledge is only hearsay from a phone call to a source in the Emergency breakdown Team, who wasn't in the PABX Team when this event occurred. Maybe some in the PABX Team, other than the Team leader knew, but the source knew nothing about it. It might of been passed off as a downturn in PABX work to explain his shift to Stores amongst direct colleagues.

How much access did your friend have say to exchange doorways?

Why have media made mention that he worked at that particular exchange?

"said Mr Edwards had worked at the Cottesloe telephone exchange in ... "

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/post-newspapers/20190629/281496457824451

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
My mistake. Telstra technicians might've been still at Ewing St Bentley in 1990.
I think I remember asking my old school friend when Telstra moved to Kewdale Rd, Kewdale, and being told it wasn't until 1992. The Stores Depot on Miles Rd might be older though.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How much access did your friend have say to exchange doorways?

Why have media made mention that he worked at that particular exchange?

"said Mr Edwards had worked at the Cottesloe telephone exchange in ... "

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/post-newspapers/20190629/281496457824451
No idea, never discussed that. However he did mention decades ago, that technicians had a master keys to phone boxes, and one of his then colleagues got sprung pinching money from the coin boxes at the bank of phone boxes outside Cafe Affaire.
Those phone boxes no longer exist, and Cafe Affaire has a different name now, but back then it was one of the very few places open 24hrs and all the Taxi drivers hung out there and since mobile phones weren't existing then, those phone boxes were some of the busiest in the area.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
My mistake. Telstra technicians might've been still at Ewing St Bentley in 1990.
I think I remember asking my old school friend when Telstra moved to Kewdale Rd, Kewdale, and being told it wasn't until 1992. The Stores Depot on Miles Rd might be older though.

You said Ewing St? WAIT university, Centenary drive. Familiar ground isn't it. 19 in 1988?

What was going on in 1988? A yellow car wasn't it

Last edited:

SimonSays77

Rookie
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeh. yeh. Thanks, Good but didn't really need it-if the Badger says it, you can generally take it to the bank. Now what is interesting getting back to what i was yapping about- pre arrest when the heat started to become apparent to a very interesting online poster pre arrest , (and it became obvious that he had drawn the attention of some very powerfuli, well resourced individuals ,) this bloke started saying that other people living in his house had access to his computer and he didn't write all of his posts. Just like the sharpener is apparently claiming.
Now why would your average internet forum Joe go to those lengths .?
If he had nothing to be worried about, he wouldn't give a toss . Hey.
Unless it was dawning on him the possible repercussions of what was written,,,,, Hmmmm....Halal style.......losing my eyesight...Spectacles ,Spectacles,...where are my Spectacles........?
you are talking about the other sleuthing site (the us one) that allowed endless discussion about the csk murders for many years - there were many posters pre and post arrest that were saying some very odd things and had a lot of bizaro at times heated exchanges - not stuff the average internet forum joe or jane would say or do - the real identities of those are very interesting given who they are connected with - you can take that to the bank

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
You said Ewing St? WAIT university, Centenary drive. Familiar ground isn't it. 19 in 1988?

What was going on in 1988? A yellow car wasn't it

In 1988, the accused might've been in his final year at the Telecom Technician College on the corner of Ley St and Manning Rd, Como. Centenary Ave would've been on the route to Huntingdale prior to the Mount Henry Bridge being built. So he'd be familiar with the area of Dorothy's disposal site I'd guess, but then again so would a lot of other people. It's not hard evidence to support suspicion. Motor vehicle licensing records would've been searched no doubt and if such a vehicle was listed, I'd imagine it would've been mentioned at PTC.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
In 1988, the accused might've been in his final year at the Telecom Technician College on the corner of Ley St and Manning Rd, Como. Centenary Ave would've been on the route to Huntingdale prior to the Mount Henry Bridge being built. So he'd be familiar with the area of Dorothy's disposal site I'd guess, but then again so would a lot of other people. It's not hard evidence to support suspicion. Motor vehicle licensing records would've been searched no doubt and if such a vehicle was listed, I'd imagine it would've been mentioned at PTC.

Only further corroborating evidence and timelines will add to the possibility. We know nothing really.

I have been involved with a search with police on a vehicle. Not a lot of resources are put in beyond it belonging to someone. Being yellow, it could be a Telecom vehicle, or unregistered.

Who was it, that the brothers attended WAIT? Unsubstantiated of course.

Eaglette01

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2016
The Wild Wild West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leicester City FC, Dallas Cowboys
I doubt BRE would have told anybody about his 1990 Hollywood Hospital "common assault" conviction.

WAPOL would have been satisfied with BRE Guilty plea - case closed. Heck - BRE probably took a Sick Day to attend court. No employer/family would be the wiser IMHO. BRE "could" certainly have kept a lid on it and downplayed the whole scenario "I shoved her" etc.

In 1990 when my boss was caught Drunk Driving - he gave me his company car to collect him to and from work for 6 months. Management never knew.

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I doubt BRE would have told anybody about his 1990 Hollywood Hospital "common assault" conviction.

WAPOL would have been satisfied with BRE Guilty plea - case closed. Heck - BRE probably took a Sick Day to attend court. No employer/family would be the wiser IMHO. BRE "could" certainly have kept a lid on it and downplayed the whole scenario "I shoved her" etc.

In 1990 when my boss was caught Drunk Driving - he gave me his company car to collect him to and from work for 6 months. Management never knew.

"Mr Edwards, in 1990, was working at Hollywood Hospital as a Telstra contractor when he attempted to drag a woman from her desk into a toilet block. "

"Mr Edwards, then 21, attacked the social worker from behind, stuffing a piece of fabric into the woman's mouth.

She kicked her attacker and broke free, with security guards holding Mr Edwards until police arrived."

Id say there was a few strings pulled.

"In WA the offence of common assault is dealt with summarily in the Magistrates Court. However, the offence carries a maximum penalty of 18 months and a fine of $18,000.

If the offence is committed in circumstances of aggravated the maximum penalty increases to 3 years imprisonment and a fine of $36,000."

Melsy

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
In speaking to a lawyer, sometimes if a conviction might put employment at risk, a spent conviction might happen so it doesn't have a major adverse impact on someone's life who might pull their head in. In this case, a security breach might have ended his career? At the time, certain criminal convictions might have impacted Telecom employment in a government department because the employment meshed with government security.

When you consider the potential to intersect peoples communications at different levels, not excluding police communications, one could see how this may have cost him his job, hence the alleged benching in stores.

This sounded like it came with some pretty heavy conditions with it such as psychiatric visits etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back