Not open for further replies.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Okay, deemed to be irrelevant 'knot' evidence but interesting nonetheless and it might come up again particularly that he made clotheslines out of Telstra cable.

34 The next objection is to paragraphs 130 - 132. In these paragraphs CG states that the accused is adept at knots and that she first noticed this when he showed her how to release a knot on a tarpaulin. She says that the accused made clotheslines at the house they lived in and that he used cable that was from Telstra.

35 The State says that this evidence is relevant because the complainant in the Karrakatta offences states that she was tied up with a piece of knotted cord that appeared to have been pre-prepared and that had the effect of handcuffs. The apparent implication is that a special ability with knots is a characteristic that is relevant to the identity of perpetrator of the Karrakatta offences. Further, the State suggest that this evidence is capable of establishing such a special ability.

36 The defence say that evidence that on one occasion CG had difficulty untying a knot and that the accused showed her how to do it does not have any probative value in relation to the offences against KG (the Karrakatta complainant). KG does not give any evidence about the expertise or otherwise of her assailant, just that she had trouble getting out of being tied up. The defence say that this can happen for a great many reasons which have nothing to do with the expertise of the person who tied the knot.

37 Neither the evidence of KG nor that of CG establish any special or distinctive ability in tying knots. Far less can it be said that there is any feature established by this evidence that can be said to be clearly present in the Karrakatta offences. The evidence of CG is general and unremarkable and does not reveal any characteristic that is uncommon or capable of being used to distinguish the accused from other people. The fact that the accused was able to demonstrate to CG how to untie a knot in a tarpaulin and set up clotheslines at their house does not make it any more likely that he was the assailant in the Karrakatta offences. The evidence is not relevant.
The use of the initials CG really threw me for a bit!

I actually agree with the defense. Without actual evidence showing what knot was used it's irrelevant (imo) whether he was a professional knotsmen(?) or knot not.

To me it sounds like the knot evidence only relates to the Karrakatta crime, so there was no bindings found where CG was found?

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
THE STATE OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA -v- EDWARDS [No 2] [2019] WASC 282

HEARD: 24 & 25 JUNE 2019
DELIVERED: 9 AUGUST 2019

Criminal law - Evidence - Whether evidence is relevant - Rulings made.

That was an interesting read Sorbet Bliss. There were a few things that got my attention, particularly:

"5. CH
43 CH met the accused a number of times in the mid-1990s because
a good friend of hers was going out with the accused's brother. She
went out to restaurants with the accused on a number of occasions. The
objection is to paragraphs 54 - 58 of her statement. In those paragraphs
she states that on one occasion she was in the accused's car when he
detoured to show her what he described as a worksite. He pulled up in
an area that had a clearing that was about half-an-acre with smaller
shrubs and trees around it. It was somewhere south of the river. The
accused wanted her to get out of the car but she said no as she could not
see much point. She said she could not understand why he took her
there as there was nothing to see.
She said that she told him it was
boring and wanted to go. They then left and continued to their
destination. She said that the accused was not happy that she was not
interested but he did not get cross."

Creepy in hindsight.
--------------------------------------------
"6. Tracey Jane Chrystal
51 As regards to the evidence relating to the blue sedan the State
says that it is relevant because it shows that the accused had access to a
variety of vehicles and in particular a blue vehicle in circumstances
where one of the witnesses in the Telstra living witness incidents refers
to being driven around in a blue vehicle.
The defence sought further
time to consider this aspect of the evidence."
"10. Deryck Foulner
64. ... In regard to the Telstra
living witness incidents, the State points to one incident relating to the
witness Katrina Jones which occurred in early December of 1995. She
describes a van pulling over and the driver offering to give her a lift.
She climbed into the van and described it as having no writing or logos
on it but that the driver said he worked in telecommunications
. This
incident occurred near to the Albion Hotel on Stirling Highway. The
State submit that an inference can be drawn that whoever was driving
this van was the same person who was parking in Karrakatta as
described by Mr Foulner."

M O established?
"14. The police interview
78 The accused was interviewed by police on 22 December 2016.
Objection is made to two passages in that interview. The first passage
appears at page 130 - 131 of the interview transcript. After a passage in
which the accused admits dressing up in women's clothing but then
denies it
, the interviewing officer presses him for more details and the
accused says that he does not feel comfortable talking about it. He is
pressed in this regard but maintains that he does not wish to answer."

If you didn't dress up in women's clothes you wouldn't be uncomfortable talking about it.

Dec 3, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can see no reason to think SS was buried anywhere. There is no indication that the CSK buried or attempted to bury anyone, but rather, what he did was loosely cover the bodies that have been found with tree branches....

What we do know is that a howling blood curdling scream was heard in the Mosman Park area........ we also know that a similar scream was heard in Wellard also, where JR was found...... As for CG well Englington is isolated enough for no-one to hear any sounds........ I suspect SS was murdered right where the screams where heard. Being that she was his first murder (that we know of) I suspect a bit of panic would have been in play and she was dumped/concealed in a hurry and probably not far from where the screams where heard. He learned from that when it came to JR and CG.......
How do we know there was not a BCS, (Blood curdling S.....) way east of Perth. And that the Mosman Park was the real first victim who has not been found? And I do not mean Julie C. Mildly interesting re the court news today.

Dec 3, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which could point to a spot going from the OBH to the Conti & way beyond. Is there another victim & a line going from the coast thru the Conti & out eastwards?
So the potential witnesses will have a very short Christmas break. Not so flash for them.

The ecourt transcript references CG stating when they first started dating, his hobbies were going to the movies and playing volleyball.

Court or beach volleyball, I want to know. Which beach? Cottesloe? And did have a red pair of speedos, like his profile The Hoff? :eyes:

Dec 3, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Photo hobby? Where? Wot! Did I miss something?
Yes I spotted something the other week referring to BRE being interested in private photography.

The 48-year-old Telstra technician and amateur photographer was arrested after cold case detectives allegedly linked DNA from Ms Glennon to a 1995 rape at Perth’s Karrakatta Cemetery and a kimono linked to the scene of a 1988 assault on a sleeping teenager in Huntingdale.

Yes I spotted something the other week referring to BRE being interested in private photography.

The 48-year-old Telstra technician and amateur photographer was arrested after cold case detectives allegedly linked DNA from Ms Glennon to a 1995 rape at Perth’s Karrakatta Cemetery and a kimono linked to the scene of a 1988 assault on a sleeping teenager in Huntingdale.

Thanks, I wonder how far back his interest in photography goes. I'd think some way if he was up all night on chat programs in the mid 1990's as per EBs (first wife) statement.

The use of the initials CG really threw me for a bit!

I actually agree with the defense. Without actual evidence showing what knot was used it's irrelevant (imo) whether he was a professional knotsmen(?) or knot not.

To me it sounds like the knot evidence only relates to the Karrakatta crime, so there was no bindings found where CG was found?

Same, agree that particular knot evidence should be thrown out. What I'm really curious about is if this 'cord' or whatever it is, is the same bindings that had print shops being looked into? If I remember this correctly, there was some sort of residue left on the ties that indicated a transfer of lettering? A chemical used in print shops or ink ..

There was a lot of discussion about it.

Post arrest with knowledge of who he was, my head went straight away to line for hanging drying photographs in a dark room which is probably wrong but I'm still curious as to what the residue was and if it was found on the KK victims ties or other.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks, I wonder how far back his interest in photography goes. I'd think some way if he was up all night on chat programs in the mid 1990's as per EBs (first wife) statement.
Good point. Seems to have liked online participation. I don't think he could have kept away from online boards about the CSK! Will be interesting to find out and see if any on here were chatting to him.

By the way your new bunny ears avatar is creepiod :thumbsdown: Does it have any significance for you?

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
if he was up all night on chat programs in the mid 1990's as per EBs (first wife) statement.

I knew a few addicted online "IRC" chatters in 1995.
For those of us that were into IRC on our computers from the mid-90's the names, dalnet, efnet, ircnet, and undernet would be familiar.

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) was a bit like twitch or youtube live chat, but without any graphics.

I remember in 1996 (I wasn't using it until the about the end of 95), that on the popular IRC servers you could log into from an IRC application, there were thousands of colourfully named channels with overt names suggestive of everything you could imagine. Pretty sure it was also full of overtly named channels set up for all sorts of unsavoury discussion, trading and entrapping. Probably had some covertly named ones on things like cross-dressing, and snow dropping, for people around the globe to get together on their pet topics (digitally speaking). It was so long ago, I can't even remember what nickname I used to use for some pretty dorky channel chats, and the occasional online dating/flirting with locals. There were lots of Perth hook-ups and meet-ups that started from these IRC online chats.

During the summer of 1994, the Undernet was itself forked. The new network was called DALnet (named after its founder: dalvenjah), formed for better user service and more user and channel protections. One of the more significant changes in DALnet was use of longer nicknames (the original ircd limit being 9 letters). DALnet ircd modifications were made by Alexei "Lefler" Kosut. DALnet was thus based on the Undernet ircd server, although the DALnet pioneers were EFnet abandoners. According to James Ng the initial DALnet people were "ops in #StarTrek sick from the constant splits/lags/takeovers/etc".

DALnet quickly offered global WallOps (IRCop messages that can be seen by users who are +w (/mode NickName +w)), longer nicknames, Q:Lined nicknames (nicknames that cannot be used i.e. ChanServ, IRCop, NickServ, etc.), global K:Lines (ban of one person or an entire domain from a server or the entire network), IRCop only communications: GlobOps, +H mode showing that an IRCop is a "helpop" etc. Much of DALnet's new functions were written in early 1995 by Brian "Morpher" Smith and allow users to own nicknames, control channels, send memos, and more.[/quote'

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
By the way your new bunny ears avatar is creepiod :thumbsdown:

I just did a quick survey of moderator shelly's avatar from all the other human occupants at my place.

The consensus was that shelly's new avatar is more funny than scary, and at a glance, looks like a black sheep (more than a bunny).

Willow weeps

All Australian
Dec 21, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Same, agree that particular knot evidence should be thrown out. What I'm really curious about is if this 'cord' or whatever it is, is the same bindings that had print shops being looked into? If I remember this correctly, there was some sort of residue left on the ties that indicated a transfer of lettering? A chemical used in print shops or ink ..

There was a lot of discussion about it.

Post arrest with knowledge of who he was, my head went straight away to line for hanging drying photographs in a dark room which is probably wrong but I'm still curious as to what the residue was and if it was found on the KK victims ties or other.
I completely forgot about the ink residue they searched for. Thanks for the reminder :)

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Whereas today's West Australian Newspaper's CSK headline story leads with a title of

Claremont prosecutors chastised as evidence ruled out
and
Judge chastises prosecutors over evidence failings as separate hearing revealed

the paper copy of the newspaper has a front page graphic and headline of
CLAREMONT KILLER TRIAL SHOCK BLOW TO CASE AGAINST EDWARDS

Interesting that the word "SERIAL" is omitted from that sentence. Probably just omitted to save space, as they've used the word "serial" early on in the Special Report on p6-7.

The p6-7 headline is
JUDGE DELIVERS EVIDENCE BLOW
with a subheading of
Underwear fetish on long list of claims Claremont Prosecutors cannot rely on

The West has really ramped up the drama on this case with that headline today.

Last edited:

Willow weeps

All Australian
Dec 21, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
they're wanting to reel in as many new paying subscribers as they can. It's all about the money now & not quality journalism. I won't pay for any news/newspapers so instead of a general update from the west, I delete them without opening them

Good point. Seems to have liked online participation. I don't think he could have kept away from online boards about the CSK! Will be interesting to find out and see if any on here were chatting to him.

By the way your new bunny ears avatar is creepiod :thumbsdown: Does it have any significance for you?

I'll change it, I was just having a general black sheep moment. Nothing sinister. 😀

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The ecourt transcript references CG stating when they first started dating, his hobbies were going to the movies and playing volleyball.

Court or beach volleyball, I want to know. Which beach? Cottesloe? And did have a red pair of speedos, like his profile The Hoff? :eyes:

back in the mid to late 90's there was an indoor beach volleyball place in kelmscott. there is currently one in canning vale too, both nearby suburbs.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
That was an interesting read Sorbet Bliss. There were a few things that got my attention, particularly:

"5. CH
43 CH met the accused a number of times in the mid-1990s because
a good friend of hers was going out with the accused's brother. She
went out to restaurants with the accused on a number of occasions. The
objection is to paragraphs 54 - 58 of her statement. In those paragraphs
she states that on one occasion she was in the accused's car when he
detoured to show her what he described as a worksite. He pulled up in
an area that had a clearing that was about half-an-acre with smaller
shrubs and trees around it. It was somewhere south of the river. The
accused wanted her to get out of the car but she said no as she could not
see much point. She said she could not understand why he took her
there as there was nothing to see.
She said that she told him it was
boring and wanted to go. They then left and continued to their
destination. She said that the accused was not happy that she was not
interested but he did not get cross."

Creepy in hindsight.
"6. Tracey Jane Chrystal
51 As regards to the evidence relating to the blue sedan the State
says that it is relevant because it shows that the accused had access to a
variety of vehicles and in particular a blue vehicle in circumstances
where one of the witnesses in the Telstra living witness incidents refers
to being driven around in a blue vehicle.
The defence sought further
time to consider this aspect of the evidence."
"10. Deryck Foulner
64. ... In regard to the Telstra
living witness incidents, the State points to one incident relating to the
witness Katrina Jones which occurred in early December of 1995. She
describes a van pulling over and the driver offering to give her a lift.
She climbed into the van and described it as having no writing or logos
on it but that the driver said he worked in telecommunications
. This
incident occurred near to the Albion Hotel on Stirling Highway. The
State submit that an inference can be drawn that whoever was driving
this van was the same person who was parking in Karrakatta as
described by Mr Foulner."

M O established?
"14. The police interview
78 The accused was interviewed by police on 22 December 2016.
Objection is made to two passages in that interview. The first passage
appears at page 130 - 131 of the interview transcript. After a passage in
which the accused admits dressing up in women's clothing but then
denies it
, the interviewing officer presses him for more details and the
accused says that he does not feel comfortable talking about it. He is
pressed in this regard but maintains that he does not wish to answer."

If you didn't dress up in women's clothes you wouldn't be uncomfortable talking about it.
Don't be surprised to see the dressing up in womens clothing explained away as a "footy thing". "Just did it for a laugh".

Also, living witnesses he drove to remote areas but then didn't do any harm too could also be used by the defense as a point of his innocence. "If my client is the cold-hearted serial killer the prosecution are making him out to be these witnesses would not be here to tell their tale" (maybe worded better than that).

Don't be surprised to see the dressing up in womens clothing explained away as a "footy thing". "Just did it for a laugh".

Also, living witnesses he drove to remote areas but then didn't do any harm too could also be used by the defense as a point of his innocence. "If my client is the cold-hearted serial killer the prosecution are making him out to be these witnesses would not be here to tell their tale" (maybe worded better than that).

But friend, second wife has made statement as witness to husband dressing up in womens undergarments. There's also the 'box' investigators found, with his DNA all over the contents of said 'box'.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Let's hope they are watching over the accused Claremont Killer more closely than in the case of Jeffrey Epstein.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just did a quick survey of moderator shelly's avatar from all the other human occupants at my place.

The consensus was that shelly's new avatar is more funny than scary, and at a glance, looks like a black sheep (more than a bunny).
Looked like a creepy bunny to me so thanks to shellyg for changing it! Quite partial to the Murial's wedding female avatar for a mod:cool:

Likeamystery

All Australian
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
According to media articles the state is attempting to establish that the “accused” CSK had a fetish for women’s underwear and garments.
Is the state prosecution trying to establish or prove what’s called an MO or signature? Is anyone able to shed some light on the subject?

These are only my thoughts, but could it be possible that when the two victims were located (JR & CG) their bodies were staged to suggest the perpetrator had dressed up in women’s clothing. Due to the lack of witnesses, there’s no one to advise if the perp. dressed up. I’m aware a kimono was left at the Huntingdale home.

What are other peoples’ views about propensity evidence?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...ccused-bradley-edwards-faces-hearing/10823398

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back