Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regard to the next court hearing, has anyone got any ideas what will be presented? Beforehand there was mention of an additional item of clothing that needed DNA analysis which could possibly take months. They didn't say how the clothing might be related to the case though. Is anyone aware what the clothing was?

So far, the evidence proposed by the prosecution has been propensity or supporting evidence, of alleged incidents prior to the crimes he's been charged with. So, I guess if someone has come forward with an incident/crime from recent years that might fall under the category of propensity.

They haven't mentioned any ex-girlfriends or what they had to say - he's probably had a few girlfriends.
Is this it - "Asked by Justice Stephen Hall if the item was linked to Mr Edwards – who worked for Telstra at the time — Ms Barbagallo said it was “utilised by technicians at that time”. " https://thewest.com.au/news/claremo...ws-cloud-over-trial-start-date-ng-b881177802z
This was discussed around post 4789

Is this it - "Asked by Justice Stephen Hall if the item was linked to Mr Edwards – who worked for Telstra at the time — Ms Barbagallo said it was “utilised by technicians at that time”. " https://thewest.com.au/news/claremo...ws-cloud-over-trial-start-date-ng-b881177802z
This was discussed around post 4789
Thanks Zedx for the link.

Perhaps at the next court-hearing they will discuss the progress on this piece of clothing. Thankfully, someone bought it to their attention.
For those that don't know this is what the article mentioned. (24 April, 2019 - West Australian)

"However, as Bradley Robert Edwards listened intently from the dock, she did reveal the item was a piece of clothing obtained from a Telstra worker from the 1990s.

Asked by Justice Stephen Hall if the item was linked to Mr Edwards – who worked for Telstra at the time — Ms Barbagallo said it was “utilised by technicians at that time”.

The court was told the item was being analysed so that fibres from the piece of clothing could be compared with other fibres in evidence, and Ms Barbagallo foreshadowed a report may not be complete until mid to late June."

I trust the report will need to be submitted to a closed session to determine admissibility first?
I was wondering how it might play out too, especially now we're inside defense disclosure. Half expected another impromptu hearing before now. Im so anxious to hear how long they took to hand the original 39 items outstanding over & how long the defense have had to consider the case against them in its entirety.
The judge will surely be looking to tear everyone new ones if they're not ready to go.

I was wondering how it might play out too, especially now we're inside defense disclosure. Half expected another impromptu hearing before now. Im so anxious to hear how long they took to hand the original 39 items outstanding over & how long the defense have had to consider the case against them in its entirety.
The judge will surely be looking to tear everyone new ones if they're not ready to go.
Is anyone able to expand on what the 39 items encompasses?

Is anyone able to expand on what the 39 items encompasses?
I think most of us know what it refers to generally but I doubt anyone could rattle them off without going back to find the info for you. Please check the media thread and the transcripts as has been suggested before, or even read the thread back from April. Theres so much info available on the case on the net and you'll probably have just as much luck googling 39 outstanding disclosures and see what comes up. The newspaper articles will give you plenty more detail as to what they are & when they were expected and probably how they'll attempt to use it as evidence. Far more than we could help you to understand by answering a question.

I appreciate theres probably a few newly joined who've just become interested in this case which is great, but its probably a bit unfortunate for you too as by the looks of it, no ones showing much enthusiasm for going backwards and covering old ground. We're all waiting to see what's next with the legal proceedings and interested in the real facts as they're presented. Its all that really matters now.

I don't mean to come across as rude & I've offered the best suggestions I have. Not sure why I feel like I shouldn't post this then.

s**t. Alright I'll answer your questions the best I can. Off the top of my head, no, I cant tell you what the 39 items are and doubt they've all been mentioned anyway. They related to numerous things. DNA, fibres, testing kits, continuity of evidence, Taxi statements. I don't remember exactly. Most were expected by June but all had to be disclosed by Sept. No new evidence was allowed without approval after July.

We heard about the Telstra uniform in April & its been at least a couple of months now I think that they mentioned trousers specifically and fibres that link to 3 crimes. It cant be the car because he had at least 3 different ones for the charged offences so unless its another private car we know nothing about, it must be the clothes.

Theres a 300+ page judgement on the propensity evidence if you're not sure what that is or how it will be used. Other objections to evidence are found in later judgments. They'll give you an understanding of why alot of the things you probably heard about at the beginning of the year wont be introduced at trial. Hope that helps.

I think most of us know what it refers to generally but I doubt anyone could rattle them off without going back to find the info for you. Please check the media thread and the transcripts as has been suggested before, or even read the thread back from April. Theres so much info available on the case on the net and you'll probably have just as much luck googling 39 outstanding disclosures and see what comes up. The newspaper articles will give you plenty more detail as to what they are & when they were expected and probably how they'll attempt to use it as evidence. Far more than we could help you to understand by answering a question.

I appreciate theres probably a few newly joined who've just become interested in this case which is great, but its probably a bit unfortunate for you too as by the looks of it, no ones showing much enthusiasm for going backwards and covering old ground. We're all waiting to see what's next with the legal proceedings and interested in the real facts as they're presented. Its all that really matters now.

I don't mean to come across as rude & I've offered the best suggestions I have. Not sure why I feel like I shouldn't post this then.

s**t. Alright I'll answer your questions the best I can. Off the top of my head, no, I cant tell you what the 39 items are and doubt they've all been mentioned anyway. They related to numerous things. DNA, fibres, testing kits, continuity of evidence, Taxi statements. I don't remember exactly. Most were expected by June but all had to be disclosed by Sept. No new evidence was allowed without approval after July.

We heard about the Telstra uniform in April & its been at least a couple of months now I think that they mentioned trousers specifically and fibres that link to 3 crimes. It cant be the car because he had at least 3 different ones for the charged offences so unless its another private car we know nothing about, it must be the clothes.

Theres a 300+ page judgement on the propensity evidence if you're not sure what that is or how it will be used. Other objections to evidence are found in later judgments. They'll give you an understanding of why alot of the things you probably heard about at the beginning of the year wont be introduced at trial. Hope that helps.
Thanks OES,
I have a fairly good background on what's been happening with the CSK case. I've read most of the media articles and court transcripts.
Will just have to be patient and wait for the next court hearing.

no ones showing much enthusiasm for going backwards and covering old ground.

We're all waiting to see what's next with the legal proceedings and interested in the real facts as they're presented. Its all that really matters now.

Totally understand why one would be apprehensive to go back and read this entire thread. When I first found this thread I had about 150 odd pages to catch up on and it was relatively easy reading. Since the arrest there has been posts that are a page long, some of which is full of legal debates (not the most interesting).

The previous nutters were actually entertaining as well.

I wonder how much media coverage this trial will get over East.

That might depends how much Telstra is dragged into the trial, and whether this is deemed newsworthy or still relevant to current work practices in Telstra and other organisations. Or possibly the various media groups relationship with Telstra at the point in time of the trial.

Same goes for whether during the trial (as opposed to possibly only after the trial), WAPOL practices come under much scrutiny, or whether it is possibly revealed at trial that BRE worked or frequently travelled interstate (nothing to suggest that he did so far).

The recent close ties between News Corp and The West Australian/Ch7/Kerry Stokes are well noted.
So there could be a fair amount of coverage of the trial on the News Corp (Murdoch family controlled) news.com.au, The Australian newspaper, and their various Capital City daily/weekend newspapers in QLD/SE/VIC & NSW. There has also been recent speculation about News Corp acquiring Ch7 (subject to ACCC approval, at some point in the future)

At present the Nine Group owned Fairax daily and weekend papers like AFR, Sydney Morning Herald and Melbourne's "The Age", which owns the "Stan" streaming service, is regarded as much more of a rival to the owners of The West Australian newspaper (Seven West Media), than News Corp (a potential buyer).

Lo and behold, I just found last week fantastic detailed article/analysis on Seven (and the West Australian I assume) being future owned by the Murdoch family controlled News Corp. I highly recommend reading it.

Oct 11, 2019
James Warburton could be prettying up Seven for a sale to News Corp
.... all part of a major restructure that could dress the company up for sale – some say to Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp....

...But Seven sits alone with only Kerry Stokes’ West Australian Newspapers at its side and no heavy hitter in the video-on-demand space....

I would not be surprised if whilst the BRE case is still being resolved, possibly from either post trial appeals, or with any subsequent investigations into the WAPOL handling of the case, if the West Australian and Channel Seven (Australia wide), will become part of the Murdoch family controlled News Corp media stable.

This could see what's left of the CSK case, heavily promoted on News Corp's Foxtel or any future new brand of streaming/catchup TV's True Crime section in its streaming services, alongside the likes of the current SA "Frozen Lies" "Family" murders series.

Last edited:
Totally understand why one would be apprehensive to go back and read this entire thread. When I first found this thread I had about 150 odd pages to catch up on and it was relatively easy reading. Since the arrest there has been posts that are a page long, some of which is full of legal debates (not the most interesting).

The previous nutters were actually entertaining as well.

I'm pretty sure as this case is one of WA'S if not Australia's, longest running murder mystery/Serial Killer cases to be finally solved (hopefully) after so many years, this will be news all over the world. Mainly because of the bizarre fact that this guy was literally under our nose all the time!! This could have been solved so much sooner but due to so many, i don't even know what to call them!... oversights? inaction? narrow mindedness? one eyed methodology?...... I can see a movie/documentary and books! I also really believe if the public had been given more information earlier on it would have been helpful!

It isn't getting a lot of attention over here in Qld, mainly on the national news websites, but that's also me going looking for it. Perhaps more when the trial starts. I had never heard of Gerard Ross or Lloyd Rayney before looking on this website. Now look at me, two more added to my obsession....

I'm curious as to whether you westerners are familiar with our big three in the last ten years- Max Sica, Gerard Baden-Clay and Daniel Morcombe (assuming yes on last one)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't getting a lot of attention over here in Qld, mainly on the national news websites, but that's also me going looking for it. Perhaps more when the trial starts. I had never heard of Gerard Ross or Lloyd Rayney before looking on this website. Now look at me, two more added to my obsession....

I'm curious as to whether you westerners are familiar with our big three in the last ten years- Max Sica, Gerard Baden-Clay and Daniel Morcombe (assuming yes on last one)?
Myself have heard of Gerard and Daniel but not Max

I agree - what made WAPOL think it was linked to a murder/killing previously. "please explain the link WAPOL"

Total F***up I think :mad:

They were going over cold cases and the Huntingdale Saga was a cold case that was looked into and with new technology available to do so they pulled a semen sample from it. The results of the dna pulled from that matched dna results from another two cold cases, the CSK Saga ( DNA from CG) and the Karrakatta Rape (DNA from victim), whammo you now have a link between the three cases... No F***up involved in that regard, I would say that was good cold case investigating........... that has expose previous F***ups....

I am not so concerned with the case these days. I am still looking into dump sites and trophy sites. Now snake season is making it more difficult. I am also looking into a new site for another well known missing woman.

They were going over cold cases and the Huntingdale Saga was a cold case that was looked into and with new technology available to do so they pulled a semen sample from it. The results of the dna pulled from that matched dna results from another two cold cases, the CSK Saga ( DNA from CG) and the Karrakatta Rape (DNA from victim), whammo you now have a link between the three cases... No F***up involved in that regard, I would say that was good cold case investigating........... that has expose previous F***ups....

To clarify: The original newspaper article about the Kimono is what blueE and I were referring to and the WAPOL comments therein. (the Vic Park unrelated murder). Re-read "Kimono Clue to Brutal Murder" - newspaper article Feb 1988.

Not the current "alleged" DNA on the Kimono linking to CSK/KK charges (that's well published).

Last edited:
To clarify: The original newspaper article about the Kimono is what blueE and I were referring to and the WAPOL comments therein. (the Vic Park unrelated murder). Re-read "Kimono Clue to Brutal Murder" - newspaper article Feb 1988.

Not the current "alleged" DNA on the Kimono linking to CSK/KK charges (that's well published).
Still strange. But it been a closed case for 21 years so no evidence left?

Two days of hearings, today and tomorrow, where prosecution want to include evidence about Edward's emotional state when the murders occurred.

Will find out if they've disclosed all their evidence to the defence.

Two days of hearings, today and tomorrow, where prosecution want to include evidence about Edward's emotional state when the murders occurred.

Will find out if they've disclosed all their evidence to the defence.

Carmel only mentioned his medical records once stating she was still waiting for them. Then we heard nothing else. We might get something over the next couple of days or imo they're likely suppressed and we'll have to wait until the trial's done. If he's convicted.

Claremont Kill Theory Probe: Tim Clarke 21 Oct 19

Claremont kill theory probe
The West Australian

21 Oct 2019
TIM CLARKE
The turmoil in the life of Bradley Robert Edwards — and whether it can be linked to the Claremont serial killings of which he is accused — will be probed from this morning in WA’s Supreme Court.
A month before the murder trial is due to start, two days have been set aside for more pre-trial argument before Justice Stephen Hall.
The argument will revolve around the prosecution team’s intention to correlate the alleged crimes — the rape of a young woman in Karrakatta Cemetery in February 1995, and the murders of Sarah Spiers, Ciara Glennon and Jane Rimmer in 1996 and 1997 — to “emotional upset” in Mr Edwards’ personal life.
The alleged rape is believed to coincide with the time Mr
Edwards’ first wife’s lover moved in with them. In January 1996, when Mr Edwards’ wife left with her lover, Mr Edwards was home alone.
The prosecution points to that being the same month Sarah Spiers went missing.
That May, Mr Edwards learned that his wife was pregnant to the other man.
The following month, Jane Rimmer vanished.
Prosecutors say that in March 1997, the former marital home was sold — the same month Ciara Glennon disappeared.
“The State submits this evidence gives ‘some background as to what is occurring’ in the life of the accused at the time that it is alleged the offences were being committed,” Justice Hall wrote in a judgment published in August.
“It is said this provides ‘context to that offending’ and is evidence of opportunity.
In regard to context, the State says that the personal circumstances of the accused form part of its circumstantial case and that a pattern of behaviour can be gleaned.
“Namely that where there is a decline in his personal relationships, offending conduct is more likely to occur.
“The State does not suggest that there is any direct causal link . . . however, they do say that such stressors are a contributing factor which is relevant in determining whether the accused is the offender.”
In pre-trial hearings, prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo said expert evidence backed the theory that turmoil in Mr Edwards’ personal life coincided with the murders.
Mr Edward’s defence team, led by barrister Paul Yovich, has objected to the reasoning.

Claremont Kill Theory Probe: Tim Clarke 21 Oct 19

Thanks Eaglette.

We've gathered he had relationship problems and was home alone each time. By his own words, he was having trouble in another of his relationships when he committed the HH attack although his psychiatrist said in pre-sentencing that likely was not the whole story. He's a guy apparently who every time things aren't going his way in a relationship takes it out on another woman.

Or, there's nobody there to check up on him and ask pokey questions, what he's been doing until 6.00am when he wasn't at work, going through his car, washing his clothes, 'How did you get those scratches on your arms?' 'Why is your car covered in red dirt?'

Guilty
Guilty

But just pleaded not guilty for the murders of Sarah Spiers, Ciara Glennon and Jane Rimmer.

Claremont serial killings: Bradley Robert Edwards pleads guilty to Huntingdale and Karrakatta charges

Guilty
Guilty

But just pleaded not guilty for the murders of Sarah Spiers, Ciara Glennon and Jane Rimmer.

Sly dogs. The murder cases will hinge essentially on the DNA his defence perceives as being weak.

And he'll still get a very long sentence even if found not guilty of the murders albeit with a date set for parole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back