Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: the licence of a "particular taxi", which relates to Jane Rimmer's murder.

Maybe she means Jane collected some stray fibres in her hair from the taxi the girls took to the Conti and before she got into one of BREs cars.
Yep, thats plausible too. I haven't caught up on a thing from the hearing aside from a quick read of this thread so I'm unsure of exact context or any discussion around it being said.

My first thoughts were to eliminating any other innocent sources for the fibres recovered from the 'known' model, namely the '95 VS & I was envisaging them obtaining statements from the cabbys driving that model in the area on the night who'd say she wasnt in their car.

Your suggestion goes even further toward strengthening their case if they can trace any other fibres recovered & conclusively say they came from taxis or other cars they know she was in & makes it far more likely that any fibres matching other victims were transferred in the course of the crime.

Pleading guilty to the KK rape (x2) and Huntingdale break-in is such a strange twist. Although I’ve read all the information as well the posts I still don’t get why. I understand it would have been the defence team who advised him to plead guilty to the earlier crimes. Can someone please explain in layman’s terms?
He may have always intended to plead guilty to them & it was on lawyers advice he didn't. With the other charges having to be defended regardless, there was no reason to fess up before now unless there was a genuine chance they'd be dropped. Without knowing the evidence they had he pled not guilty to all.

Despite admitting being a rapist theres still every chance he's not a murderer, or perhaps not the only murderer operating at the time & theres no denying that some descriptions given in other incidents dont match him in the slightest, so clearly there were others up to no good as well. I think the victims & their families deserve to have the right person convicted on the evidence & keeping an open mind is the only thing we have control over.

Well it seems things haven't come a very long way since the late 1990s. Here's an up to the minute article about fake taxi drivers in Victoria operating at the airport, pretty frightening.
QUOTE:
"A female passenger complained to the airport that: "They're only approaching women. They became agitated and have become aggressive towards me."

Uber has actually made things even easier for them. Don't even need to make your car look like a taxi now.

As far as I'm concerned BRE is a kidnapper too - he chucked a hood over her head and threw the girl from the Claremont Rowe Park into a vehicle and took her to KK cemetery in Nedlands....... to me; that is a secondary location.

Throw that Charge at him too now.

In fact, really throw the book at him together with a really big fat pencil.

He may have always intended to plead guilty to them & it was on lawyers advice he didn't. With the other charges having to be defended regardless, there was no reason to fess up before now unless there was a genuine chance they'd be dropped. Without knowing the evidence they had he pled not guilty to all.

Despite admitting being a rapist theres still every chance he's not a murderer, or perhaps not the only murderer operating at the time & theres no denying that some descriptions given in other incidents dont match him in the slightest, so clearly there were others up to no good as well. I think the victims & their families deserve to have the right person convicted on the evidence & keeping an open mind is the only thing we have control over.
After the KK rape, DNA samples were taken, and later revealed to belong to the accused. There would be no point in denying he committed that crime. At the Huntingdale break-in they located DNA too and he lived around the corner – so better confess to that also – there are lots of witnesses and a record of his fingerprints whilst out prowling.

Although JR and CG were murdered there aren’t any rape charges – seemingly because there isn’t any proof in the way of DNA. Also, there isn’t a body for SS.

So, the crimes are now segregated, with perhaps a future explanation that the fibres located on the bodies are from a fairly common vehicle – can’t prove it was BREs car.

Yet, he’s got some explaining to do with regard to the blood under CGs fingernail. My thoughts are it might all hinge on whether the prosecution can prove that CG intentionally scratched him.

As far as I'm concerned BRE is a kidnapper too - he chucked a hood over her head and threw the girl from the Claremont Rowe Park into a vehicle and took her to KK cemetery in Nedlands....... to me; that is a secondary location.

Throw that Charge at him too now.

In fact, really throw the book at him together with a really big fat pencil.
There seems to be minimal charges for the serious nature of offences - like basic charges. You're right about the kidnapping charge - the KK crime was much more than the two rapes.

did a van come after Jane went missing? i thought he had a camry wagon went Sarah disappeared, and then a commodore wagon when Jane disappeared. this commodore wagon was the one seized by the police from its current owners, and tested forensically. i do recall the KK victim saying the car seemed like a panel van? which van are you saying was modified? (i dont recall seeing that statement before?) im more inclined to believe that either the camry or the commodore could of passed for a taxi, a work van without seats in the back would of been a strange taxi, even to a drunk person.

to me the statement of taxi evidence can fall under one of the following options:

1. BRE had access to a legit taxi, and this was somehow used in the attacks

2. BRE had access to legit taxi plates, which were then put on a vehicle in his possession

3. BRE made his own car look like a taxi, including fake plates

4. Either the camry or commodore wagon, after being sold by telstra, was then used as a legit taxi

other options such as a taxi driver being a witness wouldnt merit this sort of comment so late in the game in my opinion.

if a car was used that gave the appearance of a taxi, then it would be interesting to see when the police became aware of this.

We know of SS waiting for a taxi before disppearing, we have heard nothing about a taxi relating to JR (until now) and CG was seen hitching down Stirling Highway by a man in a bus stop, it was there she was seen leaning on a station wagon type vehicle and the next minute both the vehicle and CG were gone.

When it comes to "Taxi Licenses" they are not referring to a vehicle, they are referring to the license to operate a taxi service - it has nothing with a taxi drivers license except that a taxi drivers license allows you to operate a taxi in a taxi service for the holder of the "taxi license". Because of all this I think the taxi license reference may be about a specific person, the person who held the "Taxi License", whether by ownership or lease and not a vehicle per se.

We know of SS waiting for a taxi before disppearing, we have heard nothing about a taxi relating to JR (until now) and CG was seen hitching down Stirling Highway by a man in a bus stop, it was there she was seen leaning on a station wagon type vehicle and the next minute both the vehicle and CG were gone.

When it comes to "Taxi Licenses" they are not referring to a vehicle, they are referring to the license to operate a taxi service - it has nothing with a taxi drivers license except that a taxi drivers license allows you to operate a taxi in a taxi service for the holder of the "taxi license". Because of all this I think the taxi license reference may be about a specific person, the person who held the "Taxi License", whether by ownership or lease and not a vehicle per se.
I understand what you are saying Bonzaram, a "taxi licence' is to operate a Taxi service and the article says ' evidence relating to the licence of a "particular taxi", which relates to Jane Rimmer's murder.'The relevance of the new proposed evidence relates to "fibre evidence".

So this sounds to me like they are referring to the owner of the taxi license and the 'particular vehicle' , as there would be no need to mention 'particular taxi' if it were only about the taxi license.

ie- State arguing for new 'taxi' evidence to be included at trial
Ms Barbagallo is now going through the prosecution's application for new late evidence to be submitted at trial.
The new evidence includes recent statements from a number of people, including some Department of Transport evidence relating to the licence of a "particular taxi", which relates to Jane Rimmer's murder.
The relevance of the new proposed evidence relates to "fibre evidence".

The role that a discarded Sprite bottle played in the incredible arrest of accused Claremont serial killer Bradley Robert Edwards has been revealed for the first time.
..... During one of those break-ins, three partial latent fingerprints and one latent palm impression were left behind on a rear sliding door.
And with there now being a new link between Huntingdale and the Claremont case, the fingerprints were run through the national database. Up popped the name Bradley Robert Edwards.
.....As they kept tabs on the long-time Telstra worker, the thrown-away bottle was scooped up and tested.
....two tiny polyester fibres found on shorts the victim of the horrific rape in Karrakatta Cemetery was wearing on the night she was abducted, bound, assaulted and dumped.

Prosecutors say those blue polyester-4 fibres are common to others found on Ciara Glennon, Jane Rimmer and in the Holden Commodore work car which Mr Edwards was driving at the time.

And the court will also be told those fibres were common to the Telstra-issued blue work trousers worn by Edwards in the late 80s and early 90s.

Those trousers were made and dyed specifically for Telstra at the time. And the discovery of an existing pair this year, opened up interstate inquiries with textile and workwear companies in Victoria — resulting in a delay in the trial starting.

....two tiny polyester fibres found on shorts the victim of the horrific rape in Karrakatta Cemetery was wearing on the night she was abducted, bound, assaulted and dumped.

The West in one of these articles I posted on the media thread goes through the story of the KK victim, naked from the waist down running for help to the hospital. Then refers to the victim's shorts.

I think this is the first time we've heard the KK victim's bottom clothing was found?

The role that a discarded Sprite bottle played in the incredible arrest of accused Claremont serial killer Bradley Robert Edwards has been revealed for the first time.
..... During one of those break-ins, three partial latent fingerprints and one latent palm impression were left behind on a rear sliding door.
And with there now being a new link between Huntingdale and the Claremont case, the fingerprints were run through the national database. Up popped the name Bradley Robert Edwards.
.....As they kept tabs on the long-time Telstra worker, the thrown-away bottle was scooped up and tested.

Prosecutors say those blue polyester-4 fibres are common to others found on Ciara Glennon, Jane Rimmer and in the Holden Commodore work car which Mr Edwards was driving at the time.

And the court will also be told those fibres were common to the Telstra-issued blue work trousers worn by Edwards in the late 80s and early 90s.

Those trousers were made and dyed specifically for Telstra at the time. And the discovery of an existing pair this year, opened up interstate inquiries with textile and workwear companies in Victoria — resulting in a delay in the trial starting.
Wouldn't it be interesting to know where those old Telstra trousers came from? Could it be that BRE, having put on weight rapidly over the years, gave a couple of still "good" pairs away to a workmate and the bloke still had them in his wardrobe and found them again after a Spring Clean and thought he best give them to WAPOL as his "mate" was now in custody? Stranger things have happened.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know where those old Telstra trousers came from? Could it be that BRE, having put on weight rapidly over the years, gave a couple of still "good" pairs away to a workmate and the bloke still had them in his wardrobe and found them again after a Spring Clean and thought he best give them to WAPOL as his "mate" was now in custody? Stranger things have happened.
Yes, it's possible he gave them away to another employee. Another scenario might be that he's kept them as a trophy, placed within a Telstra building's locker in a building like an exchange. Over the past few months, someone at Telstra may have realized that there was a locker allocated to BRE.

Large corporations have lockers in all sorts of buildings and possibly handed over a small key. The keys might not have been registered but simply given out.

Either way, thankfully someone realized.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello, this is my first post.

The following 'facts' have been reported in the media:

(1) in 1988 fingerprints were taken at the scene of the Huntingdale break-in (which BRE has recently pleaded guilty to)

(2) in 1990 BRE's fingerprints were taken by WAPOL and entered into a national crime database when he was arrested for the HH assault

(3) it was not until December 2016 that the fingerprints taken from the Huntingdale break-in were found to match BRE's fingerprints taken by WAPOL in 1990

Assuming (1) to (3) are true, one might reasonably ask why the fingerprints taken from the Huntingdale break-in were not entered into the/a searchable database in 1988 - and what would have happened had this been done. Presumably WAPOL would have obtained a fingerprint match in 1990 when BRE was arrested and fingerprinted for the HH assault and connected him at that time with the Huntingdale break-in.

(1) in 1988 fingerprints were taken at the scene of the Huntingdale break-in (which BRE has recently pleaded guilty to)

(2) in 1990 BRE's fingerprints were taken by WAPOL and entered into a national crime database when he was arrested for the HH assault

(3) it was not until December 2016 that the fingerprints taken from the Huntingdale break-in were found to match BRE's fingerprints taken by WAPOL in 1990

Assuming (1) to (3) are true, one might reasonably ask why the fingerprints taken from the Huntingdale break-in were not entered into the/a searchable database in 1988 - and what would have happened had this been done. Presumably WAPOL would have obtained a fingerprint match in 1990 when BRE was arrested and fingerprinted for the HH assault and connected him at that time with the Huntingdale break-in.
Agree - why weren't they entered and matched earlier? Staff shortages? ie no one assigned to enter fingerprint into data base from unsolved crimes?? Forgotten? Missed? Missed on purpose? Its so sad and horrendous to think things could have turned out so different for so many people.

we
Agree - why weren't they entered and matched earlier? Staff shortages? ie no one assigned to enter fingerprint into data base from unsolved crimes?? Forgotten? Missed? Missed on purpose? Its so sad and horrendous to think things could have turned out so different for so many people.
They were still being matched manually. The national database didnt exist until 2001.

They were still being matched manually. The national database didnt exist until 2001.

Thanks O.E.S. that's interesting. I'd wondered if it wasn't in existence in 1988, although at least one report I've read stated it was operating in 1990 and BRE's fingerprints were entered onto it at that time. Even if it wasn't created until 2001, that's still 15 years before the Huntingdale/HH match appears to have been made in late 2016. Do you think this is because the Huntingdale fingerprints 'fell between the gaps' or perhaps they weren't even entered into the national database until December 2016 when the Kimono DNA review was undertaken?

Thanks O.E.S. that's interesting. I'd wondered if it wasn't in existence in 1988, although at least one report I've read stated it was operating in 1990 and BRE's fingerprints were entered onto it at that time. Even if it wasn't created until 2001, that's still 15 years before the Huntingdale/HH match appears to have been made in late 2016. Do you think this is because the Huntingdale fingerprints 'fell between the gaps' or perhaps they weren't even entered into the national database until December 2016 when the Kimono DNA review was undertaken?
It is looking like they weren't entered till 2016!

I think the Telstra trousers are not necessarily his. I believe the evidence relates to the fabric and dye used specifically for Telstra.

From today's West. Article by Tim Clarke.
"What is set to become one of the central issues of the trial are two tiny polyester fibres found on shorts the victim of the horrific rape in Karrakatta Cemetery was wearing on the night she was abducted, bound, assaulted and dumped.

Those trousers were made and dyed specifically for Telstra at the time. And the discovery of an existing pair this year, opened up interstate inquiries with textile and workwear companies in Victoria — resulting in a delay in the trial starting."

After the 1988 break-in forensics obviously took the fingerprints but it seems the person responsible at GPS didn’t ensure they were registered on the manual system.

When BRE was arrested for the HH attack (1990) he wasn’t living in Huntingdale. Surly the police would have taken his finger-prints and registered them on the manual system. Would they be obliged to actually check the manual system?

It does seem that GPS didn’t register them in 1988.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back